Chapter Twenty Three

When You Were Mine

"L Oppa!" Minji winced at how tightly he held her wrist as he dragged her out the academy.

 

He lifted her up, despite her protests, and sat her down on the motorcycle. He shoved the helmet in her hands before he put his own on and sat in front of her.

 

Minji eventually gave in and put her helmet on before she held onto him. She loosened her grip, when she felt him flinch because she hugged him too tightly.

 

Instantly, he drove off. She didn't laugh or squeal or scream. She stayed silent. L also stayed silent. Neither of them knew where he was going.

 

After he drove randomly for half an hour, he finally pulled over by the Han River. He threw the helmet down and walked off. Minji followed after him. They stood by the river and watched it but didn't speak.

 

"Does... it hurt... a lot?" She asked after they stood for a few minutes. He slowly took his gaze off the river and looked at her. "Not anymore..." He cupped her face and kissed her.

 

When he saw those twinkles in her eyes, when he heard that gentleness in her tone, when he felt that softness on her lips... nothing hurt anymore. It was as if all his worries and problems washed away, and this strange yet warm feeling replaced it. The way his heart skipped a small beat, he didn't understand at all. All he understood was that he wanted her right now, that he needed her right now.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

Woohyun and L didn't get suspended, which surprised everyone considering how badly they beat each other up. Mr. and Mrs. Nam guiltily bought Woohyun's way out. They also bought L's way out, since Woohyun had started it.

 

That didn't mean they got off free, though. They both have to have attend counseling together every week for to 'resolve their differences'. They both have to do classroom cleaning duty every day to 'spend more time and get to know each other'. They both have to water the plants in the garden, clean the gym, and organize the library every other week to 'help create a better school because a better school creates better students and better students create less problems and less problems create less fights and less fights helps everyone become best friends'.

 

“Oppa! Are you okay?” Hyuna batted her lashes and rubbed his shoulder while everyone else gave him suspicious stares and gossiped.

 

Woohyun didn’t throw Hyuna’s hand off, like he usually would. He didn’t tell her not to call him ‘oppa’ either. He didn’t even come back with a sassy reply. He simply smiled at her, “I’m okay. Thanks for worrying.”

 

She smiled back at him and smirked at Minji before she sat down. She took her notebook out and doodled hearts again as she hummed her favorite tune.

 

School had ended. Hyuna was having her usual make-out session with some random guy behind the bleachers.

 

"Did you see the fight?"

 

"Oh my God! Yeah! It was so scary!"

 

"I know, right? Now I know why L's the most feared gangster in Seoul!"

 

Hyuna pulled away from the kiss and panted heavily but silently. *Fight? L?* The random guy continued to trail kisses down her neck as he moved his hands under her blouse.

 

"Yeah! But Woohyun screwed him up even more, don't you think?"

 

"Totally! I can't believe such a cute guy could fight so well!"

 

Hyuna's eyes went wide. *Woohyun and L?!* She pushed the random guy away and hurried off. She ran through the hallways, in search of the office. She was about to turn down a hallway until she heard some voices. She peeked her head out and watched. *Woohyun? Minji?*

 

"You're so dense that it's annoying! How could you not-"

 

"At least I'm loyal!" She blurted. Woohyun stopped and blinked at her, "Loyal? You?" He blinked at her and burst into laughter.

 

"I've never talked behind your back! Not even once!"

 

"What? And you're saying that I have?"

 

"I know you have! Stop pretending you didn't! I heard you, okay? I heard you!" She stomped her foot and crossed her arms. He furrowed his brows and tilted his head, "Me? Wait. What? What are you-"

 

"You didn't even have to go as far as to call me a s-slu... the 's' word! You know that I don't have friends! You know that they all hurt me and talked about me! You know that you're my only friend! Why-? How-? How could you just say those things about me? How could you have laughed when you said those things about me?" Her voice died down into a whisper as a tear escaped her eye.

 

"I've never called you a slu-"

 

"How much longer will you lie to me? L? Cheat? He wouldn't. And I’ve already heard you call me annoyi-"

 

"He would! He already has! How hard is it to get through that thick skull of yours that he cheated?!"

 

"It was a accident! He was drunk."

 

"It wasn't a damn accident! Stop being so damn in-denial and-"

 

"Why do you even care whether he has or not?! You don't care about me! You've never cared about me!"

 

"I've always cared about you, dammit! I've always been in lo-"

 

"Woohyun."

 

Hyuna quickly hid behind the wall so that the others wouldn't see her. She smiled and covered . *She's actually crying! Well... This should be fun...* She walked down the hallway until her laughter wouldn't be able to be heard.

 

Woohyun let out a sigh and frowned. He looked to the girl on the other side of him and frowned even more. *She didn’t sleep well.* He felt guilty, as if it were his fault she didn’t sleep well, which was true. He looked towards the middle of the classroom and sighed in relief. *L’s not here.* Woohyun was glad but sad, at the same time. *Now I have to clean the classroom… alone.*

 

"Okay, everyone! I'm going to pass out a worksheet that’s due at the end of the period! Remember that the test is on Friday! That's the day after tomorrow!" Ms. Yoon announced as she walked in.

 

Woohyun straightened up and looked at Minji.

 

Her eyes went wide as was gaped open. She had that expression for a few seconds before she began to bang her head on the desk. *Oh God! The test! Oh God! How could I have forgotten?!* She continued to bang her head.

 

Woohyun would have laughed, if he weren’t so worried about her. *She must not have studied…*

 

“Minji?” Ms. Yoon blinked at her. Minji stopped and looked up as everyone laughed at her.

 

“Are you okay?” Ms. Yoon asked worriedly. Minji bit her lip as her cheeks turned pink, “Y-Yeah…” Ms. Yoon nodded and continued to talk.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

“Are you ready to get lunch?” Hyuna asked happily as she stood by Minji’s desk. Minji rubbed her eyes and yawned, “I’ll meet you in the garden…” Hyuna smiled and nodded before she headed out with L.

 

Woohyun stared at Minji as she yawned again before she tiredly packed her stuff and walked out the classroom. Woohyun immediately packed up and left right after her. He followed her into the cafeteria and headed to his friends' table.

 

“Jinyoung!” Woohyun shoved a paper into Jinyoung's chest. The guys all stopped their conversations and looked at him. Jinyoung took the paper and blinked, “What?” Woohyun glanced at Minji and back at Jinyoung. “Give that paper to Minji.” Jinyoung gave him a weird look. “Why don’t you?”

 

“Please?! You’re my bestest friend! You’d do this for me, right?!” Woohyun sniffled and puffed his cheeks out. Jinyoung cleared his throat, “Damn you and your aegyo.” He sighed and walked over to Minji.

 

“Oh.” Minji blinked at him, “Do you need something, Jinyoung-ssi?” Jinyoung awkwardly smiled, “Um… I just… wanted to give you this.” He handed the paper to Minji.

 

“What is this?” She blinked at him. He frowned, “Um… It’s… paper.”

 

“Gee. I didn’t know. Thank you.” Minji smiled sweetly, but her voice dripped with sarcasm. Jinyoung smiled back, oblivious of her sarcasm, before he left.

 

Minji looked at the paper.

 

It was a white sheet of paper. There were multiple sections that were divided with different colored lines. Each of the sections had a formula in it and step-by-step instructions on how to use those formulas. There were also small side-notes and example problems.

 

*Who made this for me? Jinyoung-ssi doesn’t even have the same math class as me.* She looked towards the table where Jinyoung sat. None of the guys there had the same math class as her either. She looked back at the paper and smiled. *Thank you, Mystery Tutor!* She giggled and put the paper into her binder before she got her lunch.

 

"She's gone." Jinyoung whispered to Woohyun, when Minji left the cafeteria. Woohyun stuck his head out from behind the wall of basketball players before he sat down. "Thanks."

 

"What was that all about?" Jonghyun asked curiously. All the other guys also listened with curiousity. Woohyun shrugged. "It was nothing." He smiled sheepishly.