Chapter Nineteen

When You Were Mine

"Are you sure?"

 
"Yeah." Woohyun nodded. They both pouted, "But-"
 
"I'll be home soon, okay?" He promised. Soyoung sniffled and hit his chest, "You better be back for dinner!" She held her pinky out. He ruffled her hair and twisted his pinky with hers. "Arasso. Get home safely."
 
"I will!" Jihyun grinned and opened her car door. Woohyun raised a brow at her, "Are you sure? You once almost ran over the maids."
 
"SHUT UP!" She slammed the door after she got inside. Woohyun cupped Soyoung's cheeks and stared at her seriously. "Wear a helmet." He ordered.
 
"YAH! I HEARD THAT!" Jihyun stuck her head out from the window and pouted. Soyoung giggled, "I wore it on the way here! The one that you bought me when unnie got her driver's license!" She held up a pink helmet with cute flower designs on it.
 
"I still can't believe you bought her a helmet when I got my driver's license..." Jihyun frowned, seriously offended. Woohyun blinked at her, "You almost ran over the mai-"
 
"DIDN'T I TELL YOU TO SHUT UP?! NEVER SPEAK OF IT AGAIN!" She rolled the window up. Soyoung giggled and put her helmet on, "Don't I look cute, Oppa?"
 
"The cutest." He hit her helmet and shoved her into the backseat.
 
Once they left, Woohyun went back into the academy.
 
It was 4:23PM. Minji had been gone for 23 minutes. *It can't take her THAT long to get a few textbooks, right?* He frowned worriedly as he walked around the academy.
 
He called her name out every few seconds. He walked up and down every hallway. He went into every classroom. He did the same on the second story of the academy. He went out onto the field and walked all around the bleachers and grass. He went into the office and called Minji's name on the loud speaker. He even went into the girls' restroom and got screamed at by some girls in there.
 
*Where is she?!* He bit his lip worriedly as he continued to search the entire academy 2 more times--from all the floors to all the hallways to all the classrooms to all the restrooms to all the bleachers. *It's 5:19PM... Dammit!* He ran to the office and called Minji's name again. He waited 10 minutes, but she still didn't show up. Desparate, he ran around the academy 4 more times until it was 6PM.
 
His legs were absolutely sore from running up and down the bleachers and up and down the stairs. He was extremely hungry since he didn't eat lunch. He had lots of homework to do but hadn't started it.
 
He was worried sick. How could he stop searching if she suddenly disappeared? How could he eat when she was nowhere to be found? How could he do homework when she could possibly be hurt?
 
"Minji, Dammit! Where are you?!" He screamed with his hands over his mouth as panted tiredly.
 
Sweat made his hair stick to his forehead and drenched his face. His chest heaved up and down at an abnormal rate. His tie was untucked. The first few buttons of his dress shirt were ed. He had put his blazer in his locker because he got too hot from exhaustion. His eyes could barely open, which because they were already small in the first place.
 
*What the-? It's 6PM already?! .* He ran out the academy. If he couldn't find Minji after he searched for almost 2 hours, she most definitely wasn't there. He felt angry at himself for wasting 2 hours at the stupid academy when he should've been looking elsewhere. He ran all the way to her mansion, which took half an hour.
 
What made him worry twice as much was the weather. It wasn't raining or snowing, but it was freezing cold with extremely strong winds. He was worried if she was out in this weather. She only wore the uniform today, which was a white blouse, a thin sweatervest, a plaid skirt, and knee socks. She would be freezing to death if she was out in this weather.
 
"Is... Min... ji... home?" He panted with his hands on his knees. Soohyun, the head butler, raised a brow, "No... She said she would be at your-"
 
"." Woohyun stumbled off and ran back to the academy, which took way longer than half an hour because he was more tired this time around.
 
He ran around the academy just once more. He then ran through all the neighborhoods, all the alleyways, and all the shopping centers. He would call Minji's name every few seconds. People would give him weird looks, but he wouldn't care. His mind was only set on Minji.
 
He checked the time--8:07PM. *Maybe she went home by now?* He panted even harder by the second--both exhaustion and worry overtaking his body.
 
He worked out a lot. He was fit. He was atheletic. But that didn't mean he could run for almost 4 hours straight without water, food, or even a few seconds of break.
 
His throat went dry a few hours ago and started to crack really badly, but he would still call her name with that powerful vocal range of his. His ankles and legs burned to the point where he would fall if he didn't hold onto something.
 
He would've have taken a taxi, but he thought the taxi would move too quickly for him to look around. Instead, he walked back. He was too tired to run. He would scream her name, but it would come out as a hoarse whisper.
 
Even though it was freezing cold, he still sweated a lot. He couldn't even walk straight because of his jello-like legs. His vision sometimes went blurry, so he sometimes had to hold onto the walls as he walked.
 
After an hour and a half of walking at the pace of a snail, Woohyun finally got to Minji's mansion.
 
His eyes fully opened to the point where they would pop out. His heartbeat literally stopped because his heart had shattered into millions of pieces. He couldn't even feel the dryness in his throat or the burning in his legs anymore. He felt only emotional pain right now.
 
Minji had just gotten off L's motorcycle. He also got off and fixed her hair since the helmet had ruined it. She told him something that made them both laugh. He held her hands and walked her to the door. He pulled her in by the waist and kissed her passionately and deeply before he left on his motorcycle. She stood there with her hand on her lips as she jumped up and down and squealed before she went into her mansion.
 
For what felt like forever, Woohyun stood there. Even though L had left, he stood there. Even though Minji had went in, he stood there. He was too shocked to move.
 
*It's 10PM.* Woohyun chuckled when he checked the time on his phone. *I spent nearly 6 hours... 6 goddamn hours running around and screaming like a maniac in the freezing cold winter... while you spent 6 hours on a ing date with your boyfriend?* He chuckled again before he kicked a rock and left with his fists clenched.
 
"Woohyun!" The Nam's and the Jung's all surrounded him when he came into the mansion.
 
"Oh God... What happened to you?" Jihyun's jaw dropped.
 
Woohyun's face was sickly pale. Sweat ran down his face. His eyes weren't even open. His lips were chapped and hung open. His dress shirt and dress pants had dirt stains from all the times he fell.
 
"Oppa! What happened?" Soyoung pouted and tried to touch his arm, but he shook her off.
 
"Nothing." Woohyun mumbled as he loosened his tie angrily and walked up the stairs.
 
"Woohyun." Mr. Nam called worriedly. Woohyun stopped and turned around with his jaw clenched. "What?" He snapped. Mr. Nam frowned and Mrs. Nam blinked while the rest of them stared at him in shock.
 
"Why are you back so late? What happened?" Mr. Nam raised a brow. Woohyun twisted his neck and clenched his jaw a bit tighter. "None of your goddamn business." He muttered under his breath before he went into his room and slammed the door.
 
He didn't want to snap at them or take his anger out on them. The words came out on their own. He was that angry. He ran until his legs burned and screamed until his throat dried just to look for the girl he was so deeply in love with, and it turns out that she was just out on a date with her boyfriend?
 
It hurt to know that she went on a date with the person he absolutely hated. It hurt more to know that she she went on that date when she already made plans with him. It hurt even more to know that she broke her promise, ditched him, and went on a date without the slightest guilt.
 
It hurt most to have that image flash through his mind, that image of the person he hated most... kissing the person he loved most.