Promise Me

I dare you Zelo! Just try and get me!

 The post fell through our letter box, landing on the floor with an unusually loud thud. I looked up from my chocolate cupcake, which I had been eaten for breakfast and turned my head towards the door. My heart racing. I felt both my parents looking at me as I got up from the table and cautiously made my way to the door, both hoping and dreading there being a letter for me. Part of me wanted the letter, and part of me absolutely did not.

Two whole years had passed since I had resolved my problems. A lot had happened in two years. I had a good relationship with my tall, yet still very immature boyfriend Zelo, I participated in many school events, and I sat my final year exams. I also applied for various universities, hoping to be accepted for any of them. The majority of universities I applied for where in Korea although I did put my name down for universities in Britain - my hometown. But that was my parents idea. I did not want to leave Korea, my friends, my family...my Zelo.

*I knew it* I picked up two heavy looking letters, one from Yonsei university and one...for the university of Edinburgh. Don't ask me why I applied for Edinburgh. I don't even fully know why, except that their law and medical schools were very good - renown almost - and my grandparents were living there right now. *Please be Yonsei. Please be Yonsei* I prayed in my head. I would never say it out loud though, my parents wanted me to go back to the UK and I didn't want to upset them.

At the kitchen table and with slightly shaky hands, I began opening the envelopes. First was Yonsei.

«Dear Miss Park, we regret to inform you that...»

I didn't want to read the rest. I didn't need to read the rest.

"I didn't get into Yonsei." I told my parents, not trying to sound too dissapointed. They certainly weren't. I would happily bet that my parents had their fingers crossed behind their backs and in their mind they were singing 'please don't let her get accepted, please don't let her get accepted - Oh glory hallelujah she didn't get accepted! Thank The Lord above!' 

"Oh well, there is still Edinburgh." My mum said, not trying to sound too excited. Nodding to her, I opened the heavy envelope and slowly pulled out the folded sheets of paper.

«Dear Miss Park, we are please to inform you that...»

"I got accepted..." I muttered, my heart sinking as my parent erupted like volcanoes of excitement.

"This is great!" My dad almost sang out cheerfully. I nodded to agree with him but my mind was elsewhere. *What about Sunmi and Himchan? Jongup, Daehyun, Youngjae and Yongguk? What about Zelo?*

I decided to go for a walk straight after breakfast. Clutching my acceptance letter, I slipped on my purple converse and headed out the door. I was going to need to tell everyone. *Well it's better to tell them to their face, rather then to send them an e-mail and leave right?* My parents had convinced me to leave soon in order to get settled in Edinburgh, so I wanted to spend as much time as I could with Zelo. And the others...

As I walked through the peaceful neighbourhood, I suddenly remembered the time Zelo and I walked through here, heading towards my house. Even though at the time I felt a little awkward, now it has turned out to be one of my most favourite memories. Zelo hadn't stayed over much since then. A random breeze brought me a strong smell kimchi. Turning my head, I saw granny sitting at her doorway with her big bowls full of kimchi ingredients.

"Good morning Granny," I smiled to her, waving, trying to look happy and cheerful but that was easier said then done. She looked up to me and smiled her wrinkly smile, which made her eyes disappear. 

"Good morning Hana," She greeted me back. "Where are you going to so early in the morning?" I walked over to her and sat in front if her kimchi bowl, looking at the messy ingredients. Granny picked a handful of kimchi and shoved it into my mouth, causing my eyes to water. Granny always put lots of garlic and spice in her kimchi. 

"I'm going to tell my friends that I'm going back the UK." I said with my hand covering my mouth. Granny widened her eyes and looked at me sincerely.

"Is your whole family going?" She asked. I shook my head quickly.

"No, just me," I explained. "I'm going back for University." Granny nodded her head and shoved another handful of kimchi in my mouth. 

"You should eat up as much kimchi as you can, I don't think you get much kimchi in Britain right?" I smiled gratefully and rubbed my eyes. Standing up, I explained that I needed to go and I headed on my way. The first person I decided to see was Sunmi, who, unsurprisingly, was with Youngjae. That made my life a little easier. They were having an ice-cream date in the city, which I felt a little guilty about ruining.

"Good morning." I smiled at them. I looked at the giant ice-cream sundae and felt slightly jealous. *Why did me and Zelo not do this?* I wondered, suddenly thinking of many things I hadn't managed to do with Zelo and many things I wouldn't get to do.

"Morning," Sunmi grinned, seemingly uncaring about my arrival. "What's up? You wanna join us?" I shook my head and showed her the letter.

"No, I just came to tell you that I'm leaving for University."

"Oh?" Youngjae said out loud as Sunmi took the letter with a frown. "Are you going to another city? Busan?"

"Scotland?" Sunmi exclaimed. "You're leaving Korea?" I nodded, dropping my gaze to the floor so that I didn't have to watch the tears forming in her eyes. Suddenly, she pulled me into a tight hug. "You'll come back right?"

"I hope so," I nodded again, wiping my eyes and forcing a smile.

"You better come back with the best possible degrees understand!" She shouted in a joking tone. I grinned at her and took back my letter.

"Well, I need to tell the others," I smiled.

"We're going to see Jongup and Daehyun in a while," Youngjae informed me. "Do you want us to tell them?" I contemplated it and then nodded. *It gives me more time with Himchan and Zelo.*

"If you would, then I would be grateful." I said. Then I left. I felt a little guilty, not being the one to tell Jongup and Daehyun. I owed them as much. My eyes glanced down to the bracelet on my right wrist that had been given to me by my grandparents and had been fixed by Jongup. He even gave me his own, hand made bead. It was beautiful. As Daehyun. He had prevented me from failing a science experiment. I still felt indebted to them both.

I walked down the town, past a large field where there were many groups of friends eating picnics together. Smiling to myself, I recalled doing that with Zelo, Youngjae and Sunmi. When we took photos and posed like idols. That was right before we went to the museum together. I knew that Himchan and Yongguk where around here somewhere. Of course, looking for two good looking boys in a field full of teenage girls was pretty easy. Just look for where all the girls are heading. In a matter of moments, my eyes locked down on my two friends, who we almost like my brothers.

"Himchan! Yongguk!" I called to them, over the field whilst waving my hands in the air. Their faces lit up into smiles when they saw me waving, and they stood up to greet me.

"Hana! How have you been?" Yongguk asked as Himchan picked me up and span me around.

"I'm good," I laughed as Himchan put me down, and looked at me.

"You liar," Himchan said suddenly. "Why do you look like you've been crying?" I looked at him and smiled happily. *Himchan really is like my brother. He knows everything doesn't he?* Since I met Himchan on my very first day of High School in Korea, he had known everything. I remembered my first time meeting him. He helped me find my locker and dragged me to meet the people who became my closest and dearest friends.

"I've been accepted for university," I informed them both.

"But?" Yongguk asked me. I turned to face Yongguk and stared at him, with wide eyes. Yongguk wasn't someone I had been expecting to care about me when we first met. In fact, I found him quite scary. But as I grew closer to him, I knew he was only a cautious person but he was caring, no matter how badass he acted.

"It's in Britain." It felt like there was a painful silence between us. My heart wanted to break. Himchan swallowed and looked at me with a pained expression.

"For real?" He asked. I nodded slowly, not taking my eyes away from him. *Please don't cry. Please don't cry* I didn't know who I was thinking for - me or Himchan. I didn't want either of us to cry.

"I'll come back." I promised him. He forced as smile to me which quickly turned into a frown.

"Why are you here then?" He snapped, ruffling my hair. "You should be spending your time with Zelo." I laughed out loud as Himchan began pushing me away from him. I left. I believed Zelo was at his house, so I headed that way, hopeful to spend as much time with him as I could. It's quite funny to think I want to be with Zelo after all the drama we went through in the past. All was fair in love and war, I suppose. Though in our case, love was war.

Walking through the city was as interesting as ever. There were couples and friends hanging out together, and I believe an idol group where performing on a stage. I managed to get a quick glance of them - a few of them looked like boys I had seen at the metro stop one time, who had bought a French cookbook. But I doubt it was them. I saw an empty car park, that Zelo and I had practiced skateboarding in before. I got hurt a lot that day. Grinning thinking about the memory, I walked round to a juice shop to buy a drink. Who would I see in the shop but...

"Zelo?" I walked up to the tall kid who had somehow continued growing. At fifteen years old he was already 182cm tall and now at eighteen...it was quite ridiculous. He turned to me and smiled his warm smile as he saw me.

"Hana!" He wrapped his arm around my shoulders and pulled me close to his warm body. I was going to miss this kind of contact when I left. He kissed the top of my head and smiled, gently. "What are you doing here?"

"Well I was coming to find you but I stopped here to buy some juice." Upon hearing this, Zelo handed me a cup of watermelon and mint juice. I smiled, remembering that this was the exact same juice I had chosen for him a few years ago. It was nice to see he still drank it.

"Oh you were coming to see me? Was it about uni?" I heart dropped. I really didn't want to talk to him about this. I didn't want to leave.

"Yes, I was actually," I grinned trying to keep my tone light. "I got accepted for somewhere, finally." 

"Really? Where?" *Damn it Zelo! Why do you have to sound so excited? Why do you need to be so curious?* I didn't answer. I couldn't. "Where? Tell me! Is my pretty girlfriend going somewhere interesting?"

"A university in Edinburgh." I said finally. Zelo didn't speak. I didn't speak. Suddenly, I was dragged out of the juice shop and towards the busy crowds of people. It didn't take me long to find out where we were going. To Zelo's home. When we arrived in the apartment block, Zelo pulled me into the elevator, which had been fixed since the first time I'd gone to his house. I remembered that time. Both times actually. The first when I had been tricked into going, after thinking there was an emergency and the second after there really was an emergency.

"Edinburgh?" Zelo finally said as he threw himself down onto the sofa in his living room. "That's in Britian isn't it? You're leaving, aren't you?" He tugged at his hair as he asked me these questions. None of which I wanted to answer. I stood quietly in the doorway and hoped that Zelo's questions would pass.  "You're really leaving? Leaving Korea. Leaving us. Leaving me..." Tears dropped silently from his eyes and rand down his cheeks. Just watching that pained me so much.

"I'm sorry." That's all I could say, but it was enough to get his attention to soften. Zelo looked at me for a moment, before taking standing up and pulling me towards him. He pressed his lips to mine, hungrily, with more heat and passion then he had before. Our lips in sync I clutched his top and pulled him closer to me, wanting to taste more of him. Needing to taste more of him. He tugged at my bottom lip with his teeth, causing me to gasp slightly from surprise. He took that advantage to slip his tongue into my mouth and explore showing his desire as well. Despite this, I still felt his tears fall. We pulled away to get oxygen.

"Promise me," He said, looking me in the eyes. "Promise me these things. 1) You will get good grades in the UK 2) You will continuously work hard and make your leaving worth it and 3) Promise me you will come back." He pulled me into a hug, resting his head on mine as I felt him kiss my head again.

"Promise me you'll come back."

 


Oh-Ho ho your author is such a troll ^^ I'm sorry