Guardians' Protection

I dare you Zelo! Just try and get me!

Almost a week had passed since I passed out in front of Zelo, and if anything, the event had made him protective of me. It was sweet, in a weird way. I had recieved a message as I left his house on Saturday evening saying:

Message from: Unknown (****-****-***)
- Be careful Hana
- Don't push yourself too hard, if I'm not around to help you
- I will be your guardian - I promise to protect you
- Zelo

When I first read that message, I had laughed quietly to myself. *That seems quite dramatic* I had thought *This boy has been watching too many dramas* But as I read it over and over, it gave me a warm feeling of security. Things hadn't been great for me. Since I had arrived in South Korea, many situations in school had made it an unpleasant place to be. It felt nice to know that there was someone else, who was willing to look out for me. But another part of me couldn't help but wonder if it was possibly because of these other people in my life, that the situations kept occuring. Yongguk. Himchan. Youngjae. Daehyun. Jongup. And Zelo. The amazingly attractive and popular kingka's of my school. Also my closest friends. It couldn't have been because of them...could it?

It was a Thursday morning now. A hot beam of sunlight poared in through the window and striked me on the back. I could hear one of the senior classes outside doing sports and in the distance, cars and traffic on the roads heading to and from town. I would have done anything to go outside. Anything. My class were lazily trying to finish the essay we had been requested to write. But everyone hates writing essays, so no-one was doing it.

In front of me, Daehyun and Zelo were listening to music, and quietly arguing over what to change and what to keep in a song. At least I thought it was a song. They were speaking too quietly for me to be certain. Diagonally in front of me, Sunmi was leaning back in her seat and talking to Minki and Mikhyun, she smiled at me when she noticed me watching her. I smiled back and continued looking around. Three girls on the otherside of the classroom were applying make-up slyly, probably hoping not to get caught. Others were just talking or doodling in their jotters.

I played with a loose strand of hair, that had fallen out of its place in my bun. I was just wanting lunch to come already. Looking over at Zelo and Daehyun, my heart sped up slightly. I still wasn't fully used to effect he had on me. All he had to do was be there for my heart rate to increase, never mind him smiling, laughing or talking to me. Doing that made me have a near death experience seriously! That boy is bad for my health, but...I liked being with him. I wouldn't admit it though. Not to him, not even to myself. I couldn't like him, I refused to let myself. *This isn't even true love is it?* I wondered *It's all just part of the dare*

As if on cue, Zelo turned around and smiled at me. *What are you doing to me?* I thought as my heart did a loop-de-loop. Zelo put a sheet of paper on my desk in front of me, which seemed to contain many scrawled notes. I leaned forward to get a better look at the writing.

ZELO'S P.O.V 

I watched Hana lean forward and look at paper I had put on her desk. Even that movement seemed so graceful. Everything about her in that moment seemed perfect. Various colours shone in her hair as the sun touched it. Light brown, dark brown, red, gold - these colours shone brightly, hypnotising me momentarily. *When girls dye their hair, you don't get these effects* I thought to myself *Natural hair colour is truly beautiful* Her pale skin looked flawless in the morning sun. It gave her a golden look where it touched her.

Hana finished looking at the paper. *Wow...her eyes* Her eyes sparkled green and blue. It almost looked like there were tiny little diamonds in there. Her large pupils gave her a cute, doll-like image. She bit her perfect pink lips gently and then smiled at me with her beautiful smile. How much I wanted to kiss her again was unreal. I had never felt these feelings befores.

"It seems good so far." She complimented our work, or lyrics, as the case was. I forced a confident grin on my face and pointed at two sections but stared into her eyes, admiring everything, from her long lashes to her double eyelids and everything inbetween.

"Which of these lines would work better?" I asked. Hana looked down again, reading each version and compairing them. Daehyun leaned closer to me and whispered in my ear, so that only I could hear him.

"You're finding her beautiful aren't you?" He asked quietly.

"Yeah...wait what!" I blurted out. "What? No. No...well...no. Just no." I could feel a faint blush grow on my cheeks as Daehyun turned back around and started laughing silently to himself. This was bad. I didn't like Hana...right? *Oh screw it! Who am I kidding?* I thought to myself. *Listen to me. Look at me. Then look at her! How could I not?* But there was no way I would admit it. No way I could. Not yet anyway. If Hana would just confess first, then it would be alright. But this dare...Why did it have to be there?!

"I like this one," She decided, pointing to the lyrics I had written. "They are more meaningful and they work better." She preffered my work. That had to be the single-most wonderful sentence I had ever heard in my life. Better then randomers complimenting me on the street. Better then passing any exam or getting gifts from my family. When the person I like, likes something of mine. I am hopelessy romantic.

"Oh really?" I asked with a smile. Hana nodded in agreement and handed me back the lyrics. I took them with a smile and put them on the desk in front of Daehyun, who was still smirking happily to himself.

"Alright," Our teacher spoke up finally. "You guys have done enough work on these essays. Do what you want for the next twenty minutes before lunch alright?" The class spoke up in agreement and began speaking louder and walking around. Hana stood up out of her seat and twisted her ankles in circles. She stretched her arms in front of her and shook her legs. Then, elegantly, she walked to the window. I was about to stand with her, but Sunmi beat me there. Even that made my heart drop.

HANA'S/YOUR P.O.V 

I opened the window, trying to let in some cool air. It was colder outside, but not by much. Sunmi stood next to me as I stuck my hands out the window. I faced outside, while she leaned against the window frame, looking inside the classroom.

"Zelo's been watching you a lot today." She stated, casually, pulling her phone out her pocket and acting like she didn't give a... anything.

"Oh really?" I responded, staring out the window across the playing field. "What's with you and Youngjae?" I asked a few minuets later. This seemed to throw her off guard.

"W-what?" She asked, her confident facade suddenly gone. *Gotcha* I thought

"Well...seeing as he went to play sports last week instead of coming out with us and his friends, it does kind of making it seem like there is something going on between you two." I smiled, still looking out the window as Sunmi dropped her arms and stared forward, unmoving.

"Even if there was," She said back to me. "What would you do about it?"

"Nothing," I admitted. "Unless there was a reason I thought you two should not be together. But there isn't."

"Hmmm," Sunmi said quietly, more to herself then to me. "I can only say there is nothing officially there just now. But I wouldn't know. I haven't dated anyone before."

"Oh really?" I asked, surprised that my popular and pretty friend had never had a boyfriend before. "Never?"

"Inbetween school, sports and study, when would I have time for a boyfriend?" She laughed quietly. I nodded in understanding and continued looking out the window.

"Well," I said, not sure what approach to take. "Zelo seems to think Youngjae likes you a lot already." Sunmi turned to look at me, a hint of excitment on her face.

"Really?" She said, now also looking out the window. "What's with you and Zelo anyway?"

"Huh?" I asked, looking at her.

"You two are managing to confuse even me!" She admitted. "Usually I can tell when people like each other, but with you two...One moment you seem to love each other and the next you're ignoring each other." I chuckled at her comment and continued looking out the window.

"What we have," I explained to her. "Is called a non-existant, non-allowed, non-anything love. Technically, it's just a game." I'd been trying to convinse myself that, every night when I went to bed. But I couldn't even fool myself, what possible way was there for me to fool Sunmi?

"Hmm...things will work out in the end," She said. "I hope so anyway." *It seems like I have* She guestured over to her table, signalling to me that she was going to put her stuff away and talk to Minki and Mikhyun. I nodded and also decided that it might have been a good idea for me to put my stationary and notebooks away. I walked back to my table and saw Zelo sitting on my desk, twirling my pencil in his hand.

"Can I have that back please?" I asked politely, holding out my hand for the pencil. He put the pencil to his lips and tapped it like he was thinking. Then he handed it to me and stood up off the table. He helped my pick up my things and put them away.

"I like your hair." He confessed randomly, as we sat on my table together. I looked at him with surprised, wide eyes.

"What?" I asked. Zelo coughed awkwardly, with his hand by his mouth.

"Your hair," He said. "It's nice. Long, soft and...yeah, nice." I nodded and shyly smiled at his compliment. Zelo leaned closer to me and tugged gently on one of the braids in my hair. I leaned away from him and he dropped my hair. Out of boredm, Zelo puffed up his cheeks, which gave me an oppertunity to poke his face. He made a funny deflating sound and shook his head. We were bored.

The bell rang, letting the whole school know that it was lunch time. We (well me and Zelo) got up off the table, and with Daehyun, we walked out of the classroom towards the cafeteria. Like always, the corridors were noisy - techniqually, the corridors weren't noisy, but the hungry students walking through it were. I saw Jongup and Youngjae coming out of their class, so I waved to them to get their attention. Youngjae waved to me, while Jongup nodded casually. As we walked towards our table, I felt something small hit against my shoulder. Looking down to the floor, I saw a cherry tomato rolling away from us.

"A tomato?" I questioned. "Who threw a tomato?" Zelo also looked down at the tomato.

"Who would waste such a nice thing?" He asked, sounding like he was going to cry, though I couldn't tell if it was genuine or just an act. Shrugging it off, we walked towards the table again. Himchan, Yongguk, Youngjae and Jongup were already there. Daehyun, Zelo and I each sat down, though as we sat down I was hit on the back by something else. This time it was a spicy pork sausage. Daehyun looked down at the floor with wide, shocked eyes.

"Where did that come from?" He asked. I shrugged and rubbed my back, looking around the cafeteria but everything seemed normal. Caustiously I sat down at the table, and opened my bento box, ready to eat. We talked cheerfully about our day so far and what we were planning to do afterwards.

"So donsaeng~" Himchan sang to me, stealling a piece of my lemon chicken. "How has your day been today?"

"So far," I smiled. "It's been-" I stopped as something hot hit the back of my head. Everyone at the table raised their heads and looked at me. Quickly, I raised my arm and touched the hot and spicy smelling thing on the back of my head. "Is that?" Himchan grabbed my hand and looked at the red sauce.

"Kimchi?" He finished. I looked behind me to see who might have thrown it, so did the others. But like the last time, we couldn't see who it was. Jongup passed me some napkins and I tried to get out some of the sauce. Himchan took some and helped me get out the bits I couldn't reach.

"So I'm going to smell like kimchi today?" I laughed uncomfortably, trying not to be effected by the food that was hitting me. Himchan didn't say anything, but he just helped me clean up. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Yongguk look around suspiciously. When everything seemed to be cleared up, we began eating again. I picked up my chopsticks and  began eating again. Everything seemed to be calm again.

"So..." Zelo said, awkwardly trying to find something to spark up a conversation. I looked at Zelo and shook my head at his childish-ness.

"We don't always need to talk you know?" I grinned at him and turned to go back to my food, only to find that my bento box had been taken. "Wait. Were is my..." I looked around the table and saw that Youngjae - as usual - was taking photo of my lunch. "Give that back!" I said to him, leaning across the table and trying to reach for it. But Youngjae wouldn't giveit back. Standing up, I walked around to where he was sitting and took my lunch back before walking back to my seat. "Thank you very mu-"

I was interrupted again, as a large rice ball hit me in the stomach, causing me to drop my own food. The rice ball hit me before exploding into little pieces over my uniform. Each of the cool Kingka's looked at me as I looked at the mess on the floor and on my uniform. I looked around the dining hall and could see groups of people at nearby tables staring at me too. I rubbed my eyes, feeling tears welling up. Jongup got up from the table and with a napkin, brushed off the rice from my jumper. Daehyun picked up my lunch box while Youngjae signalled for a cleaner to sweep up the mess. Zelo and Himchan looked around the dining hall and Yonguk stood up and shouted to the students.

"Whoever is doing this," He threatened "Better stop right now, or you'll have a load of to deal with from me and the rest!" The hall went silent and everyone either looked at us or sat and talked quietly together. Sighing, we all sat back down at the table. Himchan shared his lunch with me, feeding me chicken which made me blush, which is something I thought I'd gotten over, but no one minded this time. Eventually, lunch was close to ending but I was getting a thirst in my throat. I took some money out of my pocket and pointed towards the vending machine.

"I'm going to buy a drink" I said to them. Zelo looked at me and forced a smile.

"Be careful okay?" He said. I nodded to him and made my way across the dining hall. I did feel quite worried, my eyes nervously twitching from side to side, keeping myself aware of everyone around me. I was almost at the vending machine quite quickly, ready to buy some mango juice when I heard someone shout from behind me.

"HANA! WATCH OUT!"

Before I could turn around, I was pushed to the ground forcefully. I landed on the floor, hitting my head off the floor. Everything was black for a moment, I could hear the blood rushing around my ears. Everything was spinning and a sicking feeling made my stomach churn, but I fought it off and forced myself to focus. A hot liquid was on the floor and so was Zelo. My Zelo was crouched to the ground, shaking.

"Zelo!" I cried out, going next to him and putting my hand on his back. I examined the surroundings quickly. A tub was on the floor and what looked like soup was all over the floor...and Zelo. I saw Yongguk and the others coming over quickly.

"Are you okay?" He asked me

"You idiot!" I snapped at him, my eyes streaming now seeing his red skin under his sleeve. "Of course I'm fine! Why did you do that?"

Zelo just smiled, genuinly despite his pain and burnt body.

"I said I'd be your guardian. I promised to protect you."