Attempt: 2nd Chance & Family

Tokki Prince Charming

 


 

"He has a point. And I am certain the both of you have no objection," concluded the Chairman pro tem. She inscribes her initials using an ink pen and compresses a red stamp imprinted with the company's name onto a stash of documents. "Then, Matoki Hotel Time's new General Manager will hereby be: Yoo. Young. Jae."

"As if!" Soeun refused acknowledging him as the new GM and storms her way out of the Chairman's office affirming, "Just you wait. He will return and take back his rightful place! Yes, your cousin: Jung. Dae. Hyun. Hmph!"

     Ilwoo too, at first, opposed Chairman Mrs. Jung replacing the GM. But DGM Youngjae is correct. It cannot be ignored. Without an active GM, issues may carve deeper on the company's image and business partnership may as well be jeopardize if Brian Joo does leak the truth behind Daehyun's disappearance to the media. These threats must be minimized. Based on standard qualifications and competence, the next best GM candidate in line would indeed be: Yoo Youngjae.

 

[buzz] Incoming text »»» Creative Director Ilwoo, sir! Moon Jongup reporting live updates. (^-^)

Arrasso. Let us further discuss by the 1st level stairs. See you soon, Jongup. ««« Outgoing text. [send]

 

Soeun's POV

Yoo-Young-Jae. Curse him! How dare he tries taking advantage of this crucial state to steal the GM spot away from my dear sweet Daehyun-aaahhaarrrgh! My mood is tarnished. I need fresh air.

[ding, the elevator door slides open]

Walking past the glass marble staircase, I happen to overhear two gentlemen on the opposite side, whisper private matters.

"Regarding about your friend's wife, as you requested, I have kept a close lookout on her movements the night after she gave birth. I noticed her draperies are constantly drawn during the day and she less frequent leaves her house."

"I knew I can count on you. Thanks Jongup. You have been a big help."

"No problem. And um, Creative Director, please don't give up on searching our GM Daehyun."

"Mhm," Ilwoo patted Jongup's shoulder and exits the building to fetch his car.

     Scatterbrained I was. I charged towards Jongup and blocked his path, nuking unfavorable questions.

     Eventually I tracked Ilwoo oppa's vehicle into a rundown area, where I had found him arguing with a suspicious male wearing a Neff army cap. It seemed serious and my curiosity fueled me to dash besides them. But before I could reach oppa, the anonymous guy jibber-jabbered his final words and vanished.

"My good brother! I did it for you (I know how much she means to you)! Farewell (my one-and-only friend I trust)!"

     That is when it hit me.

 

Ilwoo's POV

Things are about to get complicated.

"Was that...New Champ! Isn't it!?! The cab driver who drove Daehyun! Oppa! Why'd you let the culprit escape!?! Answer me!"

    I would, but I couldn't. It won't be easy.

"Augh! Forget it! I'll phone the police!"

[deet deet, dial tone]

     Seeing Soeun's eyes filled with revenge, I snatched the cellphone in her hands and disconnected the call.

"O-oppa, wae!?!"

     Inside, I too, am hurting.

"Don't tell me. You planned this!"

     Is that what she sees me as?

"That must be it 'cause you never treated the Jung's as your family! You don't accept others' kindness! You always keep everything to yourself! You don't even open your heart either!"

"Kim. So. Eun. I admit. It is true that I never felt belonged in the Jung family. I have my own reasons. But to open my heart up, I did, with you."

     Her eyes flinched.

"Except you chose to be oblivious about it."

     She rubbed the ring Daehyun gifted her.

"If it makes you feel any better, file the report. His wife, who is waiting for him, their newborn son, who has yet met him, could face criminal discrimination. Just like you, his family will experience grief and pain over losing someone important to them. So go ahead. Dial the cops."

"Jung. Il. Woo. Gaahuugh! I HATE you!"

     Those were her last piercing words till we went our separate direction.

     Roaming nearby Matoki's valet podium, awaited Mr. Joo. I explained to him about how his threat will no longer harm the company because a new GM has been selected. Therefore TS Motel project will resume. Hearing this news burdened Mr. Joo, and instead of prying, I accompanied him back to his hometown.

>> • <<

Brian's POV

Life, why are you so cruel? I sighed, dragging my weak slump body onto the porch of TS Motel. The moment I spotted two of my employees showing gratitude to a happy traveling couple waving goodbye, I snapped myself back into reality.

"Aaah! Manager Joo! Welcome back!" shouted Zinger and Zinsuk.

"Annyeong. The couple passing by, who are they?" I asked.

"You wouldn't believe it! But Manager Joo, they were our temp guests that praised our service! All thanks to our personal advisor!" Zinsuk joyfully replied.

Follow by Zinger, "We've found ourselves a hotelier expert! Keukeu. Hurray! Our motel has a chance of being saved!"

"Eh? What do you mean?" I pondered, resulting them pushing and pulling me inside the motel to meet a particular person.

"Look!" The two pointed at a tall figure standing against the receptionist desk readjusting a flower vase. "His name is Wonbin."

     I responded with a light nod, while watching the gentleman gradually turn his head to face me.

"He is a distant cousin of Hyosung." they finished, and our eyes finally connected.

My heart cringed. Discovering the person standing right before me, who is living and breathing healthily, turnsout to be...

"Hello. I'm Hyosung's cousin, Wonbin. Nice to meet you." he smiled and extended his arm for a handshake.

     ...Daehyun. I briefly shake and slipped my shivering hands away from his. Then I murmured across the counter to a goofy grinning Hyosung concerning her cousin whom she never spoke of. In an instant she brought me to a quiet corner and elaborated the truth. Unfortunately, I couldn't bring myself to tell her his true identity.

"Ma-Manager Joo!" Zinger panicked. "Jung Ilwoo from Matoki is here!?!"

 

Daehyun's POV

Again, why does that name Matoki irritate me? I shall ask Zinger. To her surprise, she thought I would have known basic facts about Korea's first hotel chain, consider having knowledgable hotel managing experience.

"Okay. That's enough. Return to your station. I would like to speak with Wonbin alone please." Mr. Joo excused everyone and gave something to Hyosung, making sure no one was lingering, as he took me into the waiting room holding refreshments.

"You looked rather shocked the minute you saw me." I said, twirling my juice box.

     He gulped.

"Because you know I am not Hyosung's cousin, right?"

For a bit he paused, "Do you remember anything?"

     I shook my head.

"Have you made yourself accustomed to the environment here?"

Thinking carefully, "There are some things that should be brand new to me. However, I sense a familiarity."

"Such as?"

"The motel for example. I get this déjà vu feeling when I help Zinger, Zinsuk, and Chef. I wonder, before I lost my memories, did I work in the hotel industry?"

"Well, I don't think having a memory loss is quite bad."

"But all my memories are gone."

"Just your past memories."

     I blinked.

"This is your chance, to have a second attempt in life. Only this time, heaven is asking you to slow down. Listen to the sounds and feel the emotions around you. Don't waste it and pace yourself. Because not everyone is lucky to get that."

     Second chance, huh.

 

Hyosung's POV

Ko-ma-wo-yo Manager Joo! Twenty bucks to treat that punk Mr. Ilwoo. Heehee.

"Yoo~hoo~!" I whistled, startling the man absorbed on a scarf. "Why'd your girlfriend hang the yellow scarf onto the tree branch?"

"Girlfriend? Oh no. Soeun's my childhood friend. The scarf, to her, represents hope that her fiance will come back soon."

Ooo. Just a friend he says. "And are you hoping her fiance would return too?"

"He's also a childhood friend of mine."

"Wow! You three must be very close. I envy you. Having such close friends like family."

"Gajok (family)?"

"Yep!"

"Say, what is a family like to you?"

"More than simple words, I'll introduce you to my family!"

"Your family?"

"Uh huh! But lunch won't be free."

"You do that for a living!?!"

"Ani ani. I don't use my family in that sorta way. Rather I call this mutual cooperation."

"Hah! Really? Then I'll call it mutual if I grasp that unique family feel."

"Sounds good! Don't mind me keeping the twenty bucks. Let's go~ go~ go~!"

And so, he got to meet G.NA. He learned a bit about my deceased father. We ate grass jelly dessert. My hands are now bruised. Thanks to my nitpicky omma, smacking me each time I avert acting graceful; i.e. eating messy and babbling with food in my mouth.

     Shortly after, my little brother arrived home from school. He quickly greeted Ilwoo and asked us where Wonbin was to appreciate him. Because the highlighted parts on his textbook definitely helped him score his best result ever on the exam. Omma and I literally jumped celebrating. Out of a hundred our baby Zelo achieved fifty-nine marks. Woohoo!

"A leap of improvement! I smell success!You genius!" I ruffled his hair.

Omma served and adored him, "My boy, have some jelly! You totally earned it!"

[claps x10]

Whoops. Our visitor is still here and we exposed our rowdy behavior. Anyways we should call it a day. Although omma wanted him to stay for dinner, he has work to attend later. And since omma wouldn't stop bugging him either, he left his contact number behind and promised to pay us another visit.

"So this is what a family is suppose to be." he chuckled, gripping the steering wheel. "Your family is extraordinary. Even though your dad is not present, my condolences, everyone in the household can continue to smile bright and laugh like there is no tomorrow. Not to mention, when you speak about your father, I can feel the warmth; almost like he is alive."

"Eheh. In my heart he is."

He handed me an envelope. "As agreed, my meal fee."

[cha-ching]

"You allowed me to understand non-blood related people can also make up a loving family. Maybe we can trade again next time."

"Whoa! I knew I could befriend a generous person like you. As a special complimentary gift, give me your hand."

"My hand?" he stretched.

    I held his palm and drew a character my father would always write.

"Heart?"

"Yes. When I was little, my appa would draw heart on my palm to console me during times of difficulties. Earlier you looked kinda troubled. If something is bothering you, resolve it immediately. Don't wait. Or else you'll regret it. Listen to your heart. What is it saying?"

Give a second chance of having a real family and repay Mr. Jung for the trouble of raising me whom I suspected may have something to do with my parents' deathIlwoo thought.

"What are you thinking about?"

"Oh nothing. Thanks for today. See you some time around?"

"You bet! Have a safe trip."

     Hours passed and the sun has set. I was helping G.NA omma prep up dinner in the kitchen. She nagged about how rich and handsome looking Ilwoo was, him being a potential son-in-law, and not getting myself involved with Wonbin. Speaking of which, he hasn't come home yet.

[plop plop]

"Eo raindrops?" I began worrying.

"Something wrong Hyo-sweetie? You seem distracted."

"Wonbin doesn't have an umbrella. I'll bring him one."

"Oka-eh jamkkanman. Didn't you hear a thing I said young lady!?!"

     She screamed as I scurried through the drizzles gripping onto my umbrella tight.