06

Into their lives, again

Your POV

“What. The. F-“

“Oh Hyelin, no swearing. 45-minute detention after class!”

“Bu…”

“1-hour detention!”

I high-five Misun. She’s right. Put “that” (something I don’t want to say) in her bag is a good idea. What’s better is BoA seonsaengnim happens to be walking by at the time. Now her dress is dirty and she has detention.

“Guys, I don’t think that is very nice.”

“Kitty-ah, stop being so nice. Don’t you remember what they did to you in gym?”

“I do remember, but…”

“No buts. Come on, let’s go to the cafeteria. I’m hungry. Misun, did you bring it?”

“Of course, how can I forget to bring Strawberry milk for you?”

We happily skip to the cafeteria. Over the years, we’ve become best friends, no, sisters. We’re always there for each other. SNSD unnies like them too and have already considered them as a part of our family. By the way, SNSD now has ten members. Nayoung unnie was included in the group after SNSD unnies returned from a very long mission.

I know, she's actually a tomboy. In fact, she looks like a boy, doesn't really fit in with the other unnies. But nobody cares! She’s extremely nice. I really like her. Oh, and the other nine unnies all really love her. Aw… How they interact with her is really cute… and disgusting. I really wish they can remember I’m living with them too.

Wait… that person… Junhyung ssi?

“Eh… Let’s go the other way.”

Baejin cutely asks me why we had to go another longer way to the cafeteria. Misun understandingly explains for me that we had to avoid Junhyung ssi, which helps Baejin understand. We all know why I don’t want him to see me. Honestly, I know there are many students like me but… that boy is too much. I mean, I’ve refused his confessions for hundreds of times already. Why can’t he see I’m not interested? Besides, that guy is a major flirt. He even has like, ten girls at the same time. A lot of girls fall for him. Fortunately, I’m in the category of girls who are not interested in him or smart enough to see him through.

“Hey, Sun-ah… Misun!... Oh Misun!”

“Oh God. Hey, pretend we didn’t see them ok?” Misun tells us. The people called her earlier are the f(x) members. Oh yeah, they are actually angels and Krystal, one of them is Jessica unnie’s younger sister. Apparently, they have something to do with Misun but she likes to ignore them, which I did expect. Well… I’m not the type liking to invade others’ lives so I don’t know their story. They did promise not to tell Misun mine either.

---------

Luckily, the cafeteria is not as crowd as usual since many students is at the teacher’s lounge, holding a farewell party for a group of male students called SS501. I heard they’re transferred to another school branch. They are in the popular group. I’ve never learned with them before so I don’t know them that well, but seems like they are very popular.

“Hey Dollie. I’m curious about something.” Baejin’s question snaps me out of my trance. I curiously look at her, signing her to continue.

“Eh… You’ve received like, tons of confessions already, why did you turn down all of them? I mean, not including students like Junhyung-ssi, why can’t you accept at least one student?”

Gosh, this question is… unexpected. Even Misun is curiously looking at me, hinting she wants to know too. Is it that strange that I’ve never been in a relationship?

“Uhm… I want to focus on study more. Relationships like such might affect my study.” I lie. Luckily, both of them are convinced. I hate lying to them but… there’s no way I can tell them the truth.

The truth is, I’m still waiting for my true love(s) appear. So far, my necklace has never once reacted. No, I’m not the type that helplessly waits for my “soul mate”. But honestly, I’m scared. What if when I see “the ones” and I can’t break up with my current date? It will be troublesome. So eventually, I decided to avoid being in a relationship or having any form of romantic feeling for anyone. Sounds wise to me.

“Hey, what do you think we should do? How about messing up the girls’ lockers?”

“Oh, let’s post a really bad picture on the school’s computers?”

Oh yeah, we’re one of the school pranksters, one of the best in fact. Somehow, when we’re together, we can be real trouble makers, even the quiet Oh Misun. Of course, we’ve pulled pranks wisely enough to never get caught. Hm… I think I got this from Sungyeol and I passed it to Baejin and Misun. It’s like domino effect.

“Well, I think us-“

“Hello, Ms. Kim Jangmi please goes to the principal’s. I repeat, Ms. Kim Jangmi please goes to the principal’s. Thank you.”

A monotone voice from the speaker startles me. Why does the principal want me? Maybe, oh gosh, maybe he knew all of my tricks! What should I do? What should I do?

---------

“Please come in.”

I hesitate, nervously hold the handle.

“Don’t go in Dollie! What if he gives you a very bad punishment?”

“Kitty-ah, don’t add fuel to the fire. Can’t you see how nervous she is?” Misun whispers to Baejin. Then she turns to me. “Don’t worry Dollie. We are both here for you, right outside the room. Should anything happens, we’ll break in and help you.”

“Aw… Thanks you guys. Well, I should come in now.”

I slowly open the door and walk in. Park Wonsoon seonsaengnim, our school branch’s principal, is sitting on his wooden desk, seems busy writing something. I call him softly and politely. He finally looks up.

“Oh hello Ms. Kim. Please, take a seat.”

I nervously sit down, palms sweating furiously. He reassures me. Looks like he can sense my nervousness.

“Oh, don’t worry. It’s not about your little “trick” with Ms. Oh.”

He knows?

“Yes, I know it all. I know all of your and your friends’ works. Nothing in this school can pass my eyes.”

That sounds creepy. And can he read minds? How did he…

“And I don’t read minds. Your facial expressions tell it all.”

“Anyway, that’s not why I called you. It’s something else. Ms. Kim, I want to ask you, have you heard about the exchange program we’re having?”

I nod. Few days ago, the teachers announced school’s having its annual exchange program. Every year, each school branch chooses its best students and let send them studying in another branch, of course if the students agree. It’s always been an honor if one’s chosen. It shows they are the best students in that school branch. Besides, the school will pay every fee for the trip. The students can even bring their family and the school will also pay for them (Is this even a school?) Of course, I want to be in the program as well.

“Well, this year, our branch chooses you as one of the members of the program, due to your astonishing grades. Of course the program’s for the eleventh grade only because they’re at least sixteen. But since you skip one grade, I decided to let you participate. You can bring your family with you. All fees will be paid for you…”

I can’t listen to anything he says next. I was chosen… I WAS CHOSEN? Yes! Yes!

“Yes!” Oops… Did I say it out loud? The principle looks calm. Maybe I was paranoid.

“No, you’re not. You really did shout “Yes!” I only act calm because that is the common expression of the chosen students.”

Creepy…

“Oh, and tell your two friends stop standing outside of my room. The students will have weird thoughts.”

“Yes, I surely will.”

Now he’s too scary…

---------

 “Kitty-ah, stop crying. It’ll okay.” Misun tries to comfort Baejin. But she can’t stop crying. Seeing her like this is so heartbreaking. Gosh, I feel my eyes are burning. I gotta do something. So I come over to Baejin and hug her.

“Don’t worry Kitty-ah. You still have Sun, right?”

“But… but… We are the per- perfect trio! It won’t be the same without you.”

“Aw… Don’t worry, we have things like Face book, Twitter, Skype or Tumblr right? We still can contact each other easily.”

“I- My mother doesn’t… allow me to use the Internet.” She mutters. Oh, how could I forget? Her evil stepmother has banned her from any kind of electronics, or entertainment… basically, she doesn’t have things we teenagers usually have. I hate her. Ever since her father disappeared, her true self appear and she likes to abuse Baejin.

“Eh… You can always use my iPad Kitty.” Misun says. Her family is very wealthy. I mean, four iPads, latest version, at the same time? That’s really something. Though, her family isn’t a happy one… Gosh, how come both my friends have such sad family backgrounds?

“Dollie -ah. I- I’m sorry for act- acting like this. I mean, this has always been what you wanted. I, I should be happy for you.” Aw… So cute! Oh, Misun’s eyes are also red right now. We look at each other and…

“Awww… Kitty-ah!” We both hug her and we three smile at each other. Times like this, friends are what you need.

“Ah… Glad to see you are happy. But you do remember that you three are still in my Physics class right?” Kwon seonsaengnim says.

---------

Now, what I’m worried about is how the unnies gonna react. I mean, we did live here for many years. Of course they’ll be sad to have to leave this house. Besides, they have work here. Ever since their long mission, they all have been working for SM Entertainment, which is actually the HQ of angels who stay on Earth in disguise. Sure, the company has many branches like my school so they can work somewhere else. But how about their colleagues? Oh, how will I break the news to them?

“Dollie -ah, you’re rather quiet today. Anything wrong?” Seohyun unnie asks me. Ever since she had the driving license, she’s the one who drive me since her driving skill is the best among SNSD unnies. It’ll be much better let her drive. Honest, for me, as long as Sunny unnie doesn’t drive, anyone drives is ok.

“Unnie, I- Never mind, I’ll tell you when we’re home. The other unnies need to hear this too.”

---------

“Unnies…”

“Yes?” They all look at me curiously. They don’t really have to make it more difficult for me. I suddenly feel really uncomfortable.

“I- I’m in this exchange program and…” I gulp. This is harder than I thought.

“I have to move to Incheon. In fact, unnies, I signed up for all of us to move there and….”

Silent... Great.

“Sorry unnies. I know you are all sad and…”

“Really? We can move to Incheon?”

“Yes! That place is really fun!”

“Oh, I heard ETS’s dormitories are very beautiful. We can live there!”

Ok… That’s unexpected. At least glad to see they took the news well, too well in fact.