04

Into their lives, again

Your POV

Guess what? I’m living with an angels group called Sonyuh Shidae now, or SNSD for short. They are very lively, too lively I think. They are very nice to me, which is rather strange how they only have the duty to guard me.

And… oh yeah, I have a new identity now. Since I need to fit in with everyone, I have a Korean name: Kim Jang Mmi (Kim = the leader’s surname, Jang Mi = Rose. Good thinking ^^). Also, my new birthday is January 19th 1995 (only the year changed :) ), I was turn into a six-year-old kid.

We now are living in a house which is just enough for ten of us. We don’t have much money anyway. SNSD told me angels are now on very limited budget and they don’t have a job. They sold all the jewelries I had to get enough money to build this house. The money we had left was saved for daily use.

Today the angels are taking me somewhere.

“Unnies, where are we going today?” I ask them before leaving the house.

By the way, those angels told me to call them “unnies”.

“We’re going to the nearby beauty salon.”

“Yeah. We’re giving me a complete makeover!”

“Makeover? I’m only six. Why do I need it?”

“Oh, we need to get you a brown wig and contacts. The blond hair and blue eyes you’re having right now is not extremely helping you fit in.”

---------

I do admit. I now look exactly like any average Korean citizen. Well, maybe a bit prettier according to what unnies said. I have to thank my mother for this. The wig and contacts are rather comfortable though. Besides, I like my old look more.

“Well, we have the whole day left. I think we should do something else.”

“Tae unnie, how about going to the amusement park? Dollie has never been there before. We should show her that.” Hyoyeon unnie suggests. Oh~ Amusement park? Dong Woo once told me it was a fun place.

“Yeah. It should be a blast!” Yoon Ah unnie cheers along with Yu Ri and Seo Hyun unnie.

---------

“Nine adult tickets and one for children under seven.”

“Sure, here you are. Oh, such a cute little girl!” The ticket seller squeals.

“Thank you Miss.” I shyly say. Even though I’m nervous talking to stranger like this, I know I have to be polite and thank her. My father taught me so.

“Aww… You guys make a very happy family picture.”

“Thank you.” All of us say.

Family?

---------

Wow! So this is what amusement park look like? Cool…

What’s that big, long thing? Why are there screams?

“So Dollie, I see you’re interested in the roller coaster.” Yoon Ah unnie says.

Dollie? Oh yeah, my new nickname. The unnies love nicknames I think. “Dollie” is a crossover between a doll and a hottie. Jessica unnie called me that since “You’re very pretty, like a doll!” (I don’t think she knew it could be a pun for me). Honestly, I hate that nickname.

“Roller coaster? I wanna go!”

“Yeah, we too. We too.”

“Calm down girls. So you guys want to go on the roller coaster?” Tae Yeon unnie calmly says. Wow, I’m always amazed how leaders can be so calm and solve every trouble. They’re so cool.

“Yeah!”

“Let’s go!”

We all eagerly respond and run to the ticket booth.

“Wait!” Jessica unnie suddenly shouts. Is there any problem?

“Dollie’s only six. She can’t go on the roller coaster.”

Oh, she’s right. There’s clearly a board here says so.

“Unnies, you guys go ahead. I’m fine being alone.”

“No way. We will never let you stay alone. Right girls?”

“Of course. This trip is all about you. How can we leave you?”

“Uh huh. I mean, we are family. And remember:”

“Family means noone’s left behind, or forgotten.” Sunny, Soo Young and Yoon Ah unnies say in sync.

That sounds nice. I never thought they’d come up with such good words. But, I’m their responsibility only, not a part of their family…

Why is Taeyeon unnie sighing?

“You guys watched Stitch, again?”

“…”

“Besides, we can always go again next time. Maybe there are more fun stuffs over there.”

---------

“Hey, check this out.”

Hyo Yeon unnie shouts from afar. We run to her. There, we see some street performers. They are dancing to some up beating song and they are very skillful. Ah… Of course. Hyo Yeon unnie has always loved dancing, and very good at it as well.

“Hyo unnie, let’s join them!”

“Sure Youngie.”

As soon as they start, the crowd cheers them. Of course, they are so good at it. Even the performers seem impressed with them.

“It seems fun.” Tae Yeon unnie excitedly says. “We should dance as well.”

And that’s how impressive dance performance turn into a comedy…

Tae Yeon, Yu Ri, and Yoon Ah unnies’ dance are rather silly honestly. It’s actually not bad. It’s just more… preschooler style.

Everyone laughs at them. Some more polite ones just giggle. Oh gosh. Even if I’ve been a human for literally few weeks, I can see this is embarrassing in human’s standard.

Strange… Why other unnies don’t seem to feel the same. They even cheer for them. Gotta find out.

“Sica unnie?” I tug her cardigan.

“Yes Dollie-ah?”

“Uhm… Are you embarrassed with them? You don’t seem so.”

“Ah…” She smiles softly. “The hell I’m not.” And she turns serious.

“Honestly, times like this, I really don’t want to know them. But I got used to it anyway.”

“Yeah. You know, she has a younger sister.” Tiffany unnie suddenly joins in the conversation.

“Really unnie?” I don’t know she has one.

“Uh huh. Her name’s Krystal. She’s in another group called f(x). And believe me, the things they do are even more embarrassing.”

“Yeah… Besides, even if they do the most embarrassing things ever, they’re still my family anyway. I mean, not like I can change it.”

She sounds annoyed. But I know in truth, she’s just kidding and I can see there’s an affectionate gaze in her eyes.

So people never turn back on their family members and support them no matter what? Sounds… nice and warm. I suddenly have a familiar feeling from these words, and what I heard about family earlier. This feeling is exactly the same I got from my parents, my appa and Ha Nuel umma, oh, and from my brothers too. I wonder why. Probably because they’re all happy families.

I really wish I have one family too. When will I have one?

“Why are you pouting Dollie?” Seo Hyun unnie curiously asks.

“Nothing unnie. Probably because I’m hungry.”

“Ah… Don’t worry. I’ll call the unnies and we’ll go to a nearby restaurant.”

---------

“Unnie, why are we eating at Lotteria? You know fast food is not healthy. We should get something else.”

“Aw… come on Kororo. We don’t eat fast food very often anyway.”

“Yeah…”

“But unnie. You know how harmful this kind of food can be. And we don’t know what they put in the food! They can…”
”Excuse miss.” The waiter politely says. I swear I saw a flick of annoyance in her eyes. “May I take your orders? And if you don’t have any, could you please make some space for other customers Miss?”

“Oh, sorry. I’ll have…”

“Girls, I’ve found a large table enough for ten of us. Let’s go there. Seo Hyun and Yu Ri can go there later.” Tae Yeon unnie says.

“Hey, maybe I should stay and order-”

“No Youngie, and you too Yoong. We’d like to keep our order simple and cheap for a change. Now let’s go girls”

We follow her to a big table in the middle of the room on 3rd floor. Wow, they do have a table that big?

---------

“Well, I should have known you would order salad. Honestly Kororo, you’re in Loteria. You should have ordered something fried or something meaty!”

“Unnie, you know I don’t like them. You know unnie, you shouldn’t eat hamburgers too much. It will…”

“Ok… Let’s drop the conversation here before we can’t have anything on the table except water.”

“Hey Dollie-ah, try some pf this Strawberry sundae.“

“Uh… Sure unnie! Thank you.”

I try a bit and… is that heaven?

“Dollie? Dollie?... KIM JANG MI!”

“This. Is. So. GOOD!!!!” I scream out and continue eating this heavenly food. Aww… So sweet. So yummy!

“Well, I guess she likes it then.”

Suddenly, I feel something soft on my cheek. I look up and see Tiffany unnie using tissue to swipe something on it.

“Dollie-ah, eat more neatly next time ok?”

The way she tends me reminds me of the time my mother and Haneul umma cleaned me. I can always see the warm, caring aura from them and their loving eyes. I suddenly feel so warm, so safe.

Why?

---------

Author’s POV

“Today was fun!”

“You got it Hyo.”

All your unnies keep talking on how exciting today trip was. You, on the other hand, are mindlessly walking with them. You can’t help but thinking about how you felt today. You got so many familiar yet unknown feeling. You had them from your parents, your appa’s family (probably a bit more from your brothers).

“Look out!”

A car is dashing towards you. Even when you’re on the crossing line and the red light is on, the car looks uncontrolled and surely it will hit you hard. You can’t move. You’ve never met such a dangerous situation like this and don’t know what to do. As the car comes closer, you close your eyes, scared.

A shadow quickly runs over you and you two end up on the sidewalk.

Your POV

I feel someone is hugging me. Someone clearly has saved me. I open my eyes and find out it was Sunny unnie.

The other unnies quickly run over and hold us up. Taeyeon unnie pats my back gently. Suddenly, I feel someone hug me tight and I can feel something wet.

“Yoong unnie, why are you crying?”

“I’m… I’m just so worried about you. I’m glad… glad that you’re… fine.”

“Unnie, why do you care so much for me, even risks yourself for me? I mean, if unnies care so much for each others, it’ll be normal. But I’m… I’m not a part of your family.” I mutter the last part.

I then hear Soo Young unnie scoffs: “Dollie, what makes you think so. You’ve always been a part of our family. You’re our sister!”

“But… you only take care of me because you’re asked to.

“No, that’s not the reason.’

“Sica unnie’s right. If someone only sees you as their responsibility, they’ll only look after you, not care for you.”

“Uh huh. Can’t you see Dollie? We care for you, you ARE our sister. Only family MUST take care of every member.”

“So never say things like this again, kay?”

“Yes Yul unnie.”

“Right. Let’s go home girls.”

I happily skip home. Today, I learned what family means. I also have finally understood what the feeling I’ve always have is. It’s the one families give people, warm and secured. Families also will always stand by your side, be there for you.

I’ve finally realized I’ve always had a family, no, three families.

“You know. Even if Yoong was hit by that car, she wouldn’t die since, you know, she’s an angel right? So technically, she didn’t really risk herself.”

“Shut up Yul, don’t ruin the moment.”