The audition

Into their lives, again

Your POV

“Unnies!”

“Hey~ When we’re away did something interesting happen?”

“Uhm… the mountain trip?”

“Oh yeah~ How was it?”

“It was fun. Everything happened according to my plan. And unnie, how is work?”

“Tiring. I’m gonna go lay down now.”

“You’re always tired Sica!” Sica unnie doesn’t even bother to argue with Nana unnie. “It was actually amazing. We had a blast, especially inside that volcano.”

“No we didn’t.” All the other unnies shout. I don’t need to know.

“And in SM entertainment?”

“Oh yeah. That reminds me.” Tae unnie suddenly stands up. “I need to report to ahjussi.” She groans. “Sica, don’t sleep yet. We have to go, all of us! We still have that audition.”

“Audition?”

“Yeah, we need new trainees. The company is not simply a front for angels you know. We do actually have good works in the music industry.” She’s right. SM is one of the biggest corporations in Korea right now, and that’s not only among the music industry.

Wait… That gives me an idea.

“Unnie~ Can I ask you a favor?”

“I don’t like that look.”

----------

“What is this?”

“Uh… it writes right here, “SM Global Audition”. It’s a poster for an audition of SM…” I say it slowly. Isn’t it obvious?

“I mean, why are you giving us this?”

“I just want you guys to consider join the audition.”

“What? You must be joking. Us? Audition?”

“Yeah, no way.”

“Not in a million year.”

----------

“Why did we agree?” Because I’m good at convincing others?

“Don’t even deny it. You yourself want this.” The guys smile awkwardly, but also sheepishly. Because even if they say no, this is something they have considered doing. They told me themselves.

***Flashback***

“You know,” I jump back in shock. Ok, weren’t he sleeping? I was just taking some blankets for them. There was no way I’m strong enough to carry them back to the tent. “I never really want to take over the company.”

“Me too.” Sung Yeol suddenly springs up. “Being a potential heir is hard.”

“Us too.” I flinch. Ok, they’re all up now. There should be no shock now.

“Yeah… I’ve never liked business, or mechanic, or electric, or electronic.”

“Uh huh. Mothers said that if I work hard on these, I’d like them eventually. Nineteen years of my life and I never once did. But you know what I really like besides cooking? Singing.”

Oh yeah… Singing. I remember he has a really amazing voice too. I actually considered trigger that hobby of his, but I already did singing to Sung Gyu, he really likes it, and I don’t want to repeat it. The same thing happens to rapping, for Dong Woo. Rapping is more his specialty than Sung Yeol.

“I like it too. It relieves my stress all the time, and I actually feel better doing it than reading Woollim’s stocks value. That’s boring.”

“Boring? Have you been forced to sit three hours to read how Woollim was established?”

…I read them… It was actually interesting…

Am I unconsciously working harder than them in taking over the company?

“Yeah~ You know, I actually consider doing something else one day.”

“Me too… I want to be a singer!”

“You too Sung Gyu hyung?”

“I want to be a singer too, but my voice isn’t that great.”

“What are you talking about Myung Soo? I’ve secretly heard you singing. Your voice is great. It’s actually rather unique, and amazing to the ears.”

“Yeah, I’ve secretly heard it too. At least you can sing. Me, not so good. I’m more into rapping, but not even as well as Dong Woo hyung.”

“But you’re a master in dancing. I’ve blackmailed you for seeing you dance remember? You were great.”

“Hyungs are good at this, good at that. I’m not above average in anything, even when I love to sing.”

“Don’t say that. Maybe you’re a well-round kind of guy. Like Sung Yeol.”
“Yeah~ at least you have your cute factor Sung Jong. I only have my height.”

“How about being idols? They’re pretty well-rounded, multi-talented these days.” I speak up, for the first time.

“Idols? Idols!”

“Why didn’t I think of that? That’s a great idea!”

“Yeah, I also can travel a lot as an idol.”

“I can act too.”

“Best thing is we’ll be an idol group, and hyungs and I will be together without competing?” Actually… Never mind. I’m not going to ruin this to them. Keep it in. Keep it in.

“Yay~ we will be idols.” Are they jumping up and down? Did I go overboard with the potion?

“Yay~ this is so much fun!”

“Yay~ mothers will not approve this.”

“Yay~ I’m not even sure appa does.”

“Yay~ this dream will never come true.”

…And now they’re lying dead on the ground… Where are those blankets? I just put it here.

So, technically they didn’t really tell me. I think they were having side-effect?

Anyway, if that’s their dream, this noona will help them.

“So… you guys are auditioning as a group?” I didn’t know they allow group audition. I thought they do it one by one.

“Yes, as INFINITE.”

“Hey, I never asked. But why “INFINITE”. You named it yourselves or…?”

“Back in kindergarten, we did a talent show.”

“Oh really?” I remember that. They were really happy that day.

“We had to choose a name for the stage. We didn’t know what to choose back then. Sung Gyu hyung didn’t want an embarrassing name. Accidentally, we saw the letter Rose noona had from her parents.”

“Letter?” What letter? I didn’t remember any letter. Wait, shouldn’t I ask about me instead? “I mean, Rose noona? Who is it?”

“Uhm…” Their eyes shift constantly. Look like I hit a nerve. “It’s… someone from our family.” How nice. They did think me as a family member.

“Anyway…” An awkward silence. “We accidentally saw the letter Ha Neul umma kept in her drawer. We didn’t know how to read back then. But we saw this really cool symbol at the end of the letter. We asked umma what it meant, she said it was an “INFINITE” symbol. We thought the symbol is cool, and the meaning is cool too, so we chose the name INFINITE. I think other students remember that. So even when we didn’t mean to, the name kind of stuck with us.”

“That’s nice.” What letter? I must have it. It was for me wasn’t it? But how?

“Number 008720, Lee Sung Gyu. Number 008721, Lee Dong Woo. Number 008722, Lee Woo Hyun. Number 008723, Lee Ho Won. Number 008724, Lee Sung Yeol. Number 008725, Lee Myung Soo. Number 008726, Lee Sung Jong. You all may come in.” Someone shouts. They’re a group, so they have to come in together I get that.

“Good luck!”

“Uhm… thanks.” They seem nervous. I’m very confident actually. They have good looks, unique personality and individual talents. What’s not to like?

Besides, in case they fail, that would push them harder. They really do love this. And with their types, they will only strike harder if they don’t succeed. I’m sure of it.

Either way, this is a big step for them towards the idol career. I really want them to do something for themselves at least once.

Now, about that letter… How to get that?

I’ll think of something. I’m sure of it. I always do.

“Excuse me miss, are you here to audition?”

“No I’m not. Kyu. Hyun. Ssi.” I deadpan. Seriously, this is the seventh time already.

“Well, no harm trying. Still always open for you Dollie.” I hate that nickname, and he knows it.

“Thank you. I’ll contact you if I change my mind. Besides, you work in vocal training, not in recruiting. I don’t think you have the rights to recruit someone.”

“Fair enough. Here’s my-”

“I already knew your number, your email, your home address, even before you gave me your card six times.”

“Well then, I’ll get going. See you in the audition stage soon I hope.”

“No.” I told him, I’m not interested in being an idol (which I don’t have a talent for) or an actress (I might have some talent for it, thanks to lying all the time these days) or a model. I’m not even remotely interested in performing career. I’m more into business and engineering.

Oh, everyone’s looking at me. Is it that shocking?

But this is awkward.

I’m going to wait over the exit door. I have to stand up for a while, which is nuisance, but this is just uncomfortable.

“Oh hey. Done yet? So, how was it?”

“We’re not sure. They don’t say anything, they don’t express anything. But I don’t think we made it. There were too many talented people.”

“You never know. Besides, you’re very amazing yourselves too. Don’t worry.” Things will end up good even if you fail this. I have a good plan for you all. So do not worry. Noona will do her best to realize your dream.


I'm sorry to say this but... What exactly is the role of Sung Yeol? I don't know INFINITE that well I must admit. I know them through Weekly Idol (I'm only interested in that show and RM) and few other performance cuts. What is his role in INFINITE songs?

The others I've got a vague idea. Sung Jong... I'm not sure. He's more a cute appeal.

If you can and you don't think I'm an anti, comment the image of Sung Yeol please. Probably need it for the fic.

Once again, I'm sorry.