19

Into their lives, again

Your POV

Only two weeks left until Halloween, the big event. Of course, my school has to throw a party that day. Everyone is busy getting an outfit for it. Obviously, me too. But I still can’t decide what to be this Halloween. There are just too many ideas.

“So what character are you going to be this Halloween party Jang Mi?” I don’t answer her. Instead, I just glare at her. “…You haven’t chosen one yet?”

“Yeah… And the fact that my BFFs aren’t here, or my unnies don’t pay attention to this event since they have another plan doesn’t help anything, at all. Anyway, what are you going to be Hyo Young?”

“Me and Co-ed are posing as patients in a mental hospital!” She cheerfully answers. Of course, I know that her character isn’t exactly fitted for Halloween but… come on, it’s Co-ed we’re talking about. They obviously have to keep up with “something fresh and young” image.

“Oh really? Well, we’re going to be Native Americans.” Hwa Young adds. Hm… At least it’ something.

“Great. Everyone has a plan for Halloween. Everyone but me. Even INFINITE is dressing up as vampires. And what’s worse is that I’m the one suggested them tha-”

“Ooh~ You and INFINITE are that close?” The twins teasingly ask.

Honestly! Ever since that night when INFINITE confessed to me about their fights, when we started hanging out, the twins have been constantly talking about my relationship with them and something about pairings. And whenever I complain about this to them, they always say “But we’re not the only ones you see. Lots of students are shipping you and INFINITE, either with one of them or the whole group. See this fan? They’re selling them a lot.”

…That reminds me.

“I’ve gotta go.” I tell them while standing up. The two looks at me curiously. I know they’re going to ask where so I quickly add. “To see the ones selling things like this.” And I show them the fan they gave me before, which has a picture of me and Myung Soo and a line “M&M” (“apparently”, that’s the couple name of me and him, which not only means our name together but also means our “love” would be as sweet as M&M candies). I mentally cringe. Really?

---------

“Lillian unnie~ please.” I say for the nth time. Yeah, I know. I was surprised to know the one behind all of this is Lillian unnie, the head of the photography club.

“Sorry Jangmi, I can’t. My club needs lots of money for buying equipments and this is very profitable. See, we’ve just been selling this fan for three weeks and we’ve already earned-”

“But unnie~ I- What is that!?” I snatch the fan in her hand. It’s for the ones who ship “beauty couple”, meaning me and Sung Jong (Don’t ask me how I know names of my OTPs. It’s a long and strange process which I don’t even remember myself.) I mean, I’ve already got used to stuffs like this but… How did she get this picture of me, when I was kissing my baby (Ah… I mean the fake baby for my home economics project). It was last year, when I was still studying in Seoul branch! “How did you have this picture of mine? And how can you edit it like this so it looks like I’m kissing Sung Jong, on the lip and on... on a bed, half !?”

“Well, you should know every photography clubs in every branch of ETS is connected to each others, same like many other clubs. Whenever we need something for reference, we call the other and ask them for the pic… And nice photo isn’t it? I spent thirty minutes on Photoshop to make that picture. But it’s really worthy in the end. It’s one of our best-sellers.”

“I- I- Oh, whatever.” I give up. I should know every photography clubs are the same. Constantly hunting for hot photos, editing it and making them into merchandises to sell them. And the main feature of them is their stubbornness.

“But hey… Can I ask you something?” Unnie suddenly questions. I look at her and hint that she can. “Why… How come your hairstyle and hair color always stays the same for years? I mean, even when one doesn’t straighten, curl, cut or dye their hair, their hair still has to at least grow longer right? But as I checked you photos, I noticed in every single one of them, you have the same hair?”

“…I-”

“Jang Mi!” Suddenly, Woo Hyun appears and calls me as soon as he notices me. Wow~ Saved by him.

“Hey.”

“Hey Jang Mi. Uh… So, still thinking about what to be this Halloween?”

“…Please stop reminding me about it.”

“Ok… Hey, how about being a princess? I mean, you’re as pretty as one. Maybe-” We’re cut off by the flashing light coming from Lillian unnie, or more specific, her camera.

“Oops, I forgot to turn off the flash light… Don’t mind me, continue.” She says while doing the “go on” hand gesture.

“Un-”

“Aw~ Woo Mi moment!” When and where do these fans come from?

---------

“So… you decided to stop using the wig?” Sunny unnie asks me.

“Yes. I’m old enough now anyway. And that would make my hair look more natural.” I’ve been thinking about this for a while now, after hearing Lillian unnie’s words. Besides, my friends, including Bae Jin and Mi Sun and INFINITE support the idea. So in the end, I joined SNSD unnies going to the salon today.

“Well, ok then. Ah… it’s your turn already.”

I walk to the chair and sit down.

“Have you decided which hairstyle yet?” She asks me. I nod and give her the picture of that hairstyle I keep on my phone.

“Oh, nice one.” Of course. Hannah unnie (Somehow, I think she has become my stylist) advised me it. “And the color? Well, your hair already has a nice color of ivory so-"

“Please dye it black.”

“Black? Ok then.” Of course, I know nowadays people can freely dye their hair. So even if I go to school with my natural hair color, nobody would really mind it. But… I’m dying it black as a part of my disguise. Wouldn’t it be easier for INFINITE to know who I am with that hair color?

The hairdresser unnie tells me I can take a nap while she does her job. So I close my eyes and stop thinking…

---------

“Wow~… Wow~… Wo-”

“Yul unnie. I know you’re very impressed with my new hairstyle but… would you stop with the “Wow~” thing? It’s been twenty minutes already.”

“Sorry. Can’t help it. I mean, it looks so nice on you.”

“Hm… unnies, your new hairstyle all look so beautiful too.” I honestly tell them.

“Thanks Dollie. Well, the one should get the most compliment is Nana. She changes the most after all. Of course, still that natural black color but… she finally has a different hairstyle, not the usual braids.” Sooyoung unnie says.

“Hey!” We all laugh at Na Young unnie.

“So… you stay here and find yourself a costume kay? We’ve gotta do something else.” Tae unnie asks. I nod.

There are so many stores here. Which one should I go first? Ooh~ That store look nice. But it sells gowns, not costumes though… Well, I can buy one and be a princess right?

Hm~ This one looks nice. But I don’t really feel like it. I hope the rack behind me would- Huh? She looks like… Ommo, she is!

In panic, I crawl inside one racket, only to realize that she wouldn’t recognize me anyway. Gosh, why so stupid?

“How are your boys?” Someone asks her. I take a peek. Hm~ I’m not sure who he is. I only saw him at appa’s house a couple of time. I think he’s Mi Yeon’s younger brother.

“The usual, Jang Hoon. Still trying their best to beat the other to be chosen as his heir.” She says while examining a pale blue gown. What!? “Heir”? So all of their fights are only because they want to be the heir? That’s-

But wait… I remember they weren’t like that as kids. Becoming a president of Woollim wasn’t any of their dreams. There must be other reason. They just can’t

“But I must compliment you noona. What you said to them that night really affected them huh? Without those words, maybe they’re still like before.”

“I know. Even though the result is quite unexpected. I didn’t plan for Sung Gyu, Ho Ya and L to go against each other. But it’s a good thing as well, since it gives them motivation. And thanks to you too. You’re the one gave me the hint remember?”

“Right… So, which one of them has the biggest chance noona? Sung Gyu, Ho Won or Myung Soo?”

“It’s not Ho Won and Myung Soo. They’re Ho Ya and L now. Honestly, I don’t know why they change their name. And I don’t care. It’s all fine as long as it’s one of my kids.

So, she said something huh? That might be the reason why they’ve changed so much now.

But that makes me wonder… how’s appa and Haneul umma now? Are they still fine?

Oh good, they’re heading towards a different direction. I really need to get out of here.

Suddenly, something catches my eye, something displayed at the opposite store.

O. M. G. It is absolutely perfect! I can’t contain my excitement and run towards it. Wow~ It’s even prettier up close.

I know what I’ll be this Halloween.