Into the woods (1)

Into their lives, again

Your POV

“We’re nearly there!” I faintly here Haneul umma shouting that. I… don’t… phew~… even care anymore, until we reach the house. Seriously… I’m… thankful that umma and appa invited me to have a vacation with the Lees in there mountain top house… for a change in scenery… and because I was staying home alone, but... hiking up… 14 km? This is a whole new level of exhaustion… Should… Should’ve accepted the piggy back offer from Ho Won or Dong Woo… My God, I feel dizzy… Please, please do not pass out…

“Jang Mi-ah, you look… really, really pale, and lifeless. I don’t think you can walk another 5 km.” …Wait, did I hear 5 km? “Son, one of you really should piggy back her there. I think she’s passing out from exhaustion soon.”

“Oh, let me umma. I’m the oldest here so I should take res-”

“And you’re the slowest here. Come on, you really can’t even hike properly, and now carrying her? No, I don’t want her to die. I will. I have the best stamina.”

“No you don’t Dong Woo hyung, I do. I’ll carry her.”

“You hyungs have all the fun. Why can’t I carry her? I want some time with Jang Mi too~” Oh, I can’t even think straight to care. Anyone is ok.

“That’s ok boys. You can take turns, oldest to youngest. Let’s Sung Gyu carries her, then Dong Woo then Woo Hyun and so on…”

“Yes appa.”

I make out Sung Gyu squat and take the cue, hoping onto his back… *heavy breathing* I’m way pass the point of refusing just to be polite and all. I’m too… tired… to care.

I slop down on Sung Gyu’s back and let him carry me. Whatever, I can apologize him later.

----------

“Are you sure you can watch the house on your own?” Appa asks us, but I know better. I mean, it’s only 10 hours since we arrived (approximately) and something came up back in the company? I’m not dumb, or naïve. Obviously, they are trying to… matching us, you know, giving us some “alone” time… I’m not complaining, but why people keep shipping us. They know, wait they don’t know… Anyway, we can’t be together. We’re not destined! And in some way we’re cousins, so if would be inc- Wait, they’re adopted… Huh?

ANYWAY we won’t “date”. That’s not possible.

“Goodbye appa and umma.” Wait… Gosh, spacing out again. I really need to get that fixed.

“So Jang Mi, how about a little hiking. I heard that this mountain has some great views. And there’s this great picnic spot nearby.” Yeah… I’d rather stay home and read something than hiking. It’s physically exhausting. But he looks so eager… Whatever, unnies said that I need some outdoors activities, some nature in me anyway. Besides, we’re in a rather warm place, actually not so warm, just not very cold. If it’s freezing like the usual mountainous place in the early spring, I will never, ever, ever leave the house.

“Of course, it sounds nice. Wait for a moment okay? I need to get changed.” I tell him, and quickly go into my room. Still sounds bad that I’ve got a whole room for me while the boys share two rooms, just because I’m a- Yeah, I can’t lie to myself. It actually sounds nice to get some privileges.

…Hm~ Where’s that- oh, here it is, my best hiking boots (the only one I actually own). Good! My outfit is completed. Still need to look decent right? Hm~ I don’t bring any backpacks though. I need one to bring stuffs for hiking, like water, food… Maybe Sung Jong has one…

----------

“You know, I really could’ve bring a backpack with me, or at least let me carry one of yours.”

“That’s ok Jang Mi, we’ve brought everything we need.”

“Yeah! You don’t need to carry anything Jang Mi! Just enjoy the hike.”

“Aw~ Thanks.” I smile with them. But honestly, I’m appreciate that they don’t want me to carry anything. But I feel better when I have my OWN things with me. Besides, I want to make sure that I have everything. What if they’ve forgot something impor-

“Wow~” We all gasp in sync. The view here is really great. Very… nature. Hm~ This actually feels good. Unnies were right. I really do need some fresh air.

Phew~ Feels nice.

Why are we still walking?

“Uhm… That picnic spot, how far is it exactly?”

“Oh, I think it’s about 2 km. Pretty close huh? Well, except for maybe old man Sung Gyu hyung.”
“YAH LEE SUNG JONG!!!”

What!? 2 km!? Close is 1km, max. Not 2 dam-

Compose. Compose. Compose.

Myung Soo’s POV

This family trip (sort of) is great. It’s been a while since my last one. I really miss these trips…

“Oops. Sorry Myung Soo.”

“It’s ok Jang Mi.” I smile at her. For some reason, she looks like she’s not walking straight… Maybe I’m wrong. When I look at her, she even smiles back. Yeah, maybe I’m just imagining it.

Huh?

Huh?

“Oh sorry. I hope you don’t mind me hold your hand. Just thought we should hold hands in case one of us gets into something so the other will notice.” I look down to check that she really is holding hand… God, she really is…

Ottoke???

Your POV

That was a ridiculous explanation, but seeing him blushing and hiding his face like that, pretty sure he didn’t even listen to it. Whatever. My mind’s a bit hazy. The loose air here, plus having walked few hundred meters, I’m getting dizzy. I have to hold someone’s hand, or there’s a high chance that I fall down. Oh god, how much further?

“We’re here! The perfect picnic spot!” Dong Woo cheerfully shout. Yes, thanks God. I’m saved.

“Here. Sit here Jang Mi!” I look towards Sung Yeol, who is eagerly waving at me. That spot actually looks nice. And I desperately need to sit down. I’m starting to see dots. So of course, I start walking tow- Hm, I’m still holding Myung Soo’s hand?

“Oops, sorry, I forgot.”

“It’s… it’s *cough* it’s ok.” Yeah… But his pink face and sheepish act is really cute though.

I slop down the mat, leaning back on Sung Yeol. I need some comfort to survive. Phew~

“Hey, have some water.” Woo Hyun suddenly hands me his water bottle. “Oh, and try these cookies.” Ooh~ Heart-shaped. “Delicious?” Of course it is. Woo Hyun always cooks well. (I should know. He’s cooked for me few times before). Even the president of the cooking club was so impressed that she saved him a spot in the club if he’s interested for next year registration.

“Hyung, when did you make this? I don’t remember.”

“Of course you don’t. I bought these few days before. Baking is not really my strong aspect.” Ok… So he didn’t make them… He’s still a good cook though.

“But isn’t this nice? Fresh air, nice view, good food, cute companion.”

“Thanks hyung. Didn’t know you think of me so nicely.”

“I was talking about Jang Mi you shameless brat.” Aw~ So cheesy.

“Hey, how about camping out here?”

----------

“Oh, could you also get my sleep mask? It’s right under my pillow… Yeah thanks.” Yeah I know I know. We’re camping and I bring my sleep mask. But I have trouble sleeping without it. I’m such a princess I know.

“Ouch!!!” I hear Dong Woo and Sung Yeol scream out in pain. Hope it’s not something very serious. Who knows what those two can cause, which is why it was a bad idea to have them stay here and set up the some parts of our “camping site”.

“Are you two okay? What happened?” The two shake their heads, pretending nothing happened. Right~ “Hey, can any of you hand me the water bottle?” As predicted, both Sung Yeol and Dong Woo fight over the bottle, which help me see their hands, all red and quite scratchy.

“Oppa… Are you trying to make a campfire?” It’s so obvious. They’re hovering over a pile of dry leaves and tree branches.

“Maybe…”

“Ok, me and hyung just thought that a camp is no camp without a campfire. So… Hey!”

“But somehow we can’t make one. They made it look so easy on the internet.” I can’t say this, but I’m glad they can’t make a campfire. Fire is always dangerous. What they set up looks unstable and not very safe. I think people even build a border of rocks and even prepare a water bucker for safety. Also, I kinda figured out why they couldn’t. Seems like they tried rubbing hard rocks to make a fire, which is “a bit” dumb since we can always use a lighter, matches and the rocks are too smooth. Actually, I have a mini lighter in my pocket, it’s part of my “mini survival kit” I always bring with me. But no chance I’m telling them that.

“Oppa, wouldn’t we have a portable stove, flashlights and mini heater later? We don’t even need a campfire anyway.”

“Well, we just thought that it would be more fun…”

“But you can’t make one anyway. Trying that is rather unnecessary isn’t it oppa? How about you help me cleaning where we’ll set up the camps? I could use some help.” I ask them with a bright smile, which they agree of course. I knew it. Sometimes a girl just has to have her way with what she has.

I know, I’m super manipulative. But hey, it’s all for good cause.

----------

So we finished settling up our huge tent. It’s for eight, so of course is in mega size, which spaces to spare.

I’m feeling terrible now though. I can’t build a tent, or cook dinner. Basically, the only thing I’ve done for camping is clearing some leaves and rocks. Of course nobody bothers since I’m basically the lady here, but I hate the feeling of not doing something. Practicing is much harder than theories, why I ace. You know? The brain but not the brawn?

Anyhow, I’m dead inside and I need to get my eight-hour. Climbing, working is not my forte. I’ll just get my sleeping bag, my bag which the boys got for me earlier and just dead to the word. But first, I have to change my clothes into something comfortable in the tent, which we all agree would be a short-period changing room.

Oh here it is, my PJ… Wait, Ho Won had to look inside my luggage to search for this… Did he see my undies?

…God, I hope not. He looked nonchalant though. It’s likely that he didn’t. Ho Won can hide his emotions pretty well, except when embarrassed.

Done! Now just get in my sleeping bag and…

“Hey, how about we stay up talking a bit. It’s been a while since we all actually have a talk, WITH each other?”

Are you kidding me? It’s late and…

Wait, I can use that to get to know the boys and know more about their lives. “Sure, I think it’s brilliant. I’m in Sung Gyu oppa.”

“Yay, Jang Mi is in. And you?”