So said, so led

Royal Lovestory

 

“Why did Kris give us out?” Chinsun asked.

 

The morning above their heads – up on the street – was setting in, but the winter sun wasn't as generous as summer light so the city was still in darkness waiting for salvation from an unknown hero. Air was filled with hope. Maybe something good was finally heading this way.

 

“I don't know...” Baekho sighed and put his hands around the girl, though it hurt, he didn't give much attention to it – the girl was cold and he was the only one here that could change that.

 

“Weren't you friends?”

 

“Yes... We still are...” Baekho said and looked away. I don't want to hate him... I can't hate him.

 

Chinsun understood that this wasn't the time to talk about whether Kris was Baekho's friend anymore or not. Though she really wanted to know the truth she decided it was better to leave it all as it was. Surely Baekho had some answers, but not the full picture. Rushed assumptions based on actions aren’t always the best answers, because knowing Kris he’s not the kind of person who would let his friends to be treated like this.

 

***

 

At the same time some servants in the castle made their way down to the dungeons. But weren't there any guards to stop them? No, if you move around somewhere else than the corridors. Those servants were walking down narrow tunnels: old and smelly, cold and dingy tunnels running through the walls. They had a plan in their mind.

 

And at the same time with that a servant from the castle took a horse from the stalls. He made it look as if he was just running some errand dictated by the Council, but, truth to be said; actually he was supposed to clean the tables in the dining room right now. That can wait. Right now it was more important to save lives then tables.

 

As the morning grew older and became early afternoon a rather large group of young men set their mind ready for the future heading towards them upon entering Kangreung. They split into smaller groups just before the city gates and went on from there – everyone to their own direction. But there was this one group which – I heard – had happy news to tell. What news? You'll see.

 

But this one youngster from the group went along all by himself. His feet took him down the streets deep into the city. His heart trembled when he recognized how sad this merry place had become – his home. The city, where he grew up, the streets, where he played, his home – the place his loved and cherished. His home... Home! And what was waiting for him at home? Will it be where it was?  No one sen me a note that they have moved... Will he see his beloved? How's mum, I wonder. Will anything be at its place anymore? Please be as you were. Please.

 

***

 

Meanwhile a young man limped down a quiet street. He knew this place like the back or his hand – every stone in the pavement, every board on the houses, every staircase, every alley – he knew it well. It was only natural that he knew his home street  - he grew up here.

 

But upon a fraction of a glance you'd watch him you'd know that he has been through hell. His left cheek was bruised and swollen, his bottom lip was healing, but the obvious cut in it told a story of its own, his walking was heavy and waivery, time to time he stopped to catch his breath – he wasn't in he best shape, that I can tell, but, neither the less, he was happy. He was happy to go home again.

 

“Hello?” the man called the people in the house.

 

  A middle-aged man came out from a back room. He stopped. He couldn't believe his eyes. “Kris? Kris, is that you?”

 

“Dad...” Kris sighed. You shouldn't see me like this... not again.

 

“Oh, my son. We thought we had lost you for good.” the middle-aged man, Gao, said when he hugged his dear child. “You're so...”

 

“It's alright, dad. I'm fine. I can still walk. The wounds will heal...” Kris reassured his father, though he didn't believe his own words either. “How's mum?”

 

“She's getting better.” Gao nodded. “Go. Go say hello.”

 

And Kris went. It had been really hard on his mother, Daoming, during these last few years. She used to be a well woman, but her health suddenly changed from excellent to waiting at the heaven's door. It was hard to the entire family. And if Kris hadn't got extra money from a wealthful man when he did, Daoming wouldn't be here.

 

But upon entering the room where Kris's dear mother laid he felt that something was off... something... but... what?

 

 


And now suddenly I have so many new ideas!

A late and short update for you... sorry...

Your thoughts about this chapter and the story so far are well welcomed. I will answer your comments.