The Ball (1/2)

Royal Lovestory

 

The big diamond chandeliers hanging from the great ball-hall's painted ceiling were fully lit. The marble-walls shone beautifully under the light, glittering like starry night-sky. Tables were full of  all kinds of dishes ever imaginable. It would take ages to name all the foods! But there is one thing I must bring out: the big and beautiful – knowing D.O it will be very tasty – cake.

 

The cake had four levels. There one could see that beautiful lace-work D.O was famous for. It had flowers made of white chocolate highlighting the best features of the cake. It had sugar-pearls on each level. There were butterflies on some of the flowers. And on the top level one could recognize the prince and his future wife.

 

Looking around the ball-hall one could see many ladies and gentlemen chatting and joking amongst each other. Men had their very best suit or tuxedos on and the ladies... The ladies! They had marvelously pretty dresses. Lace, pearls, diamonds, crystals, gold, silver, expensive fabrics – every dress was unique in its own way complimenting the wearer's figure. As the ladies turned the gems on their dresses glittered as the light played on them.

 

The chatter was lively and everyone enjoyed themselves. If people weren't inside they were outside in any of the three gardens. Bluebell Garden, Rose Garden, Cherry Garden – any of those held a number of visitors. As it was dark outside and the lanterns in the gardens were lit these places were magical, providing a romantic atmosphere for lovers.

 

***

 

But everything wasn't so pretty end peaceful for everybody.

 

„It's stuck! Get me out of it. I'm running out of air!“ HyunAe held onto her sides. The strings of her dress's corset had gotten stuck somehow and now Chinsun and Haeran had to act fast and set their princess free.

 

„Hush! You'll waste more air if you talk.“ Chinsun ordered the other.

 

Princess's two friends had a hard time to untangle the mess but within moments their skilled fingers overcame this problem.

 

„Done!“ Haeran exclaimed.

 

HyunAe breathed in deeply as soon as she felt the pressure to her waist and stomach lessen.

 

„Gosh... That was a close one.“ the princess laughed.

 

Someone knocked onto the door.

 

„Miss! Are you ready? May I come in?“ Sehun's voice was heard from behind the door.

 

„Yes!“ HyunAe shouted.

 

The door opened revealing a utterly handsome young man. The three girls just stared at him.

 

„Don't look at me like that. It makes me feel weird.“ Sehun said trying to make himself smaller.

 

„Why should you feel weird? You look unbelievably handsome.“ Haeran raised her brows  at the boy and began to tie HyunAe's corset again.

 

„She's right. Those looks are only because you look like a Greek god.“ Chinsun nodded and pulled one of the corset's strings.

 

„Thanks.“ Sehun lisped, looked down, smiled to himself, and blushed, bitting his lip.

 

HyunAe smiled at this lovely sight.

 

„All done.“ Haeran said.

 

„OK, then. Time to go.“ HyunAe nodded.

 

***

 

JR sat behind the big table and was as bored as ever. Like he could care less about Lucras's old pals' doings: how they went hunting and got two wild boars, how they did this and that, how someone remarried or divorced just because their old mistress was drop dead annoying, how they woke up this morning and had a glass of whisky just to start the party early.

 

I can't believe Dad didn't see how much of an Lucras is. But then again this moron never talks like this or acts like this when my Dad's around. Stupid buttkisser...%¤/&%!!! I can't wait 'til the day when I can finally take him down and restore the honor of out family.

 

JR had rested his chin on his hands and being deep in thought he kind of glared at everybody. Anyone who accidentally looked his way were right away killed mentally by imaginable daggers. JR didn't realize this until Lucras woke him from his thoughts.

 

„Prince! Sir, you're not leaving a good impression to the guests if you continue to stare at them like that.“ Lucras, who was sitting on the prince's right, whispered.

 

JR glanced at the Headman, nodded and sat up straight. Then the prince's eyes landed on the cookies before him. Tasty chocolate chip cookies! D.O knew JR too well. The boy smiled at took a cookie and was about to stuff it all into his mouth but remembering where he was and who he was he just retreated to taking a small – not really – bite from it.

 

Heaven! I'm in heaven! Thank you, D.O!

***

 

The music, which had been playing for the last half an hour, stopped. Everyone looked up at the ball-hall's doors. There she was – HyunAe – pretty as ever stepping into the hall with two of her maids – friends! Best friends! – on either of her side.

 

It was a good thing that everyone looked at the girls because then Baekho, Minhyun, and Ren could have a chance to take a look of their loves longer than just a glance and I must say the boys liked what they saw. They looked at the girls with dreamy eyes not really caring if their blushing was obvious or not, which, honestly, was.

 

JR looked quite silly with his half-eaten cookie which he was holding before his mouth. She's... beautiful... He was dazed but he didn't forget the one he actually loved. Odelia...I wish she was her. But one day Lia will be walking through these doors... as my wife! As he thought this he smiled the widest smile Lucras had seen him smile so that made the Headman and his companions think that JR really was in love with HyunAe and now he had fell for her for good. But this was just one great coincidence.

 

One of Lucras's men nudged him and whispered: „Looks like everything is going like you planned.“

 

Lucras nodded - Kris really knew what he was doing. I shouldn't had underestimated his judgment. But too bad for him: if he messes up once more, he'll pay. - and smirked waiting for the prince's next move. But as JR didn't seem to move in any direction Lucras directed the boy.

 

„Sir! They're waiting.“ Lucras whispered to the boy.

 

JR looked at Lucras with confused eyes. At least he had put the cookie down and wiped his mouth.

 

Kris had come out from nowhere and added: „The dance, sir.“ The butler then pulled prince's chair further from the table so the boy could stand up.

 

„Right.“ JR at last pulled himself together. Ren's eyes sent JR's every move. No funky-business, friend, or I'm gonna break your neck. I may seem weak and cute but deep water runs still.

 

Baekho and Minhyun were growing impatient. Kris had set things so that the boys had to serve the guests only at the start of the ball, so by now they were already free to go to their girls. Of course the two right away used the first opportunity to get away. The two gave their platters to Ren who unwillingly had to take them – he didn't have a date for the evening anyway.

 

***

 

JR went up to HyunAe and bowed.

 

„Milady.“ he offered his hand to the princess.

 

„Milord.“ the princess made a curtsey and took the prince's hand.

 

Chinsun and Haeran were already in the company of Baekho and Minhyun. The boys were all nicely dressed and in the girls' eyes they would have been good candidates to run for the prince. To be honest JR never had any interest to be a ruler, but then again, it was before he met Odelia.

 

The crowd had stepped aside – the royal couple preformed the traditional opening dance of the ball.

 

Though the prince and the princess smiled their smiles weren't meant for each other. Those smiles were meant for someone else, for someone they couldn't be with but with whom their thoughts were. Looking at those two they really left the impression that they're just another couple soon getting married. Kris was content. Everything according to plan. For now.

 

***

 

As soon as the dance was over Ren left the hall. HyunAe had raised her eyes to search for the boy in the crowd – just one glance – but all she could see was the boy's back and his fluffy ponytail bouncing up and down as he walked away. I'm sorry, Ren...

 

Others started dancing. Minhyun and Baekho asked their maidens for a dance.

 

„Care for another dance?“ JR asked the princess.

 

The latter shook her head. JR nodded and the two made their way to take their seats behind the table.

 

Lucras, seeing the royal couple coming his way, asked: „What's the matter?“ Sure his concern was faked and the two youngsters knew that well enough.

 

„The princess isn't feeling well.“ JR answered flatly and took a seat.

 

„Oh my! Wouldn't it be better if you two had some fresh air? The night is long and the ball has just started.“ Lucras acted all sweet and nice.

 

JR looked at HyunAe. „I suppose it's a good idea.“ he said.

 

With that the royal couple stood up and left the table.

 

***

 

Ren had went into the kitchen and he dumped the platters into the sink with a loud thud.

 

„You're lucky those weren't the ceramic ones.“ D.O remarked.

 

Ren looked at the three silver platters and crooked his back out of anger, he looked like a pissed off cat. Gosh how I hate this all! Now it's making me to hate JR. I don't want to hate him!

 

„I was just kidding.“ D.O said coming up to Ren.

 

The blonde still stood there looking down. „I know.“ he said quietly.

 

„Are you jealous? Kris told me how this night is going to be for you.“

 

„A little,“ Ren sighed and turned around supporting himself against the edge of the sink, „and I'm worried. What if I start to hate JR?“

 

„You won't.“ D.O smiled.

 

„How do you know?“

 

„When you're worried about it then that means you really don't want it to happen.“

 

Ren nodded and smiled. „I guess you're right.“