A hurt little soul

Royal Lovestory

 

Kris was still asleep. He furrowed his brows. He was dreaming. He was 6 years old again. He was afraid. He saw that man again. He heard those words again. He was afraid.

 

What had happened this Kris when he was little? Why was he afraid?

 

Let's take a little look at his past, shall we?

 

A small boy is sleeping on a cold staircase outside of a lovely old cottage just on the border of this small town. The dog guarding this house has snuggled up next to the boy not because the animal is cold but because this old dog is wise and he knew the boy is cold...

 

Who's this little boy? He seems so familiar... Kris? Yes, this boy here is 7-year-old Kris. But he's so pale and so... thin... his face is stained by tears - he cried when he ran up to this place.

 

What brought him here? To run this far, onto the border of the town, means that something's really wrong.
 

***

 

Kris, you see, is an orphan. His parents were killed by an awful man. Little Kris was only 6 back then. He doesn't remember much of that heartbreaking moment but one thing for sure: when he'll see - to be exact: hear - the killer again he'll recognize him. The image of the killer's face is quite blurry but Kris remembers his voice. The words he said, 'Never let the fire burn you if you play with it', are planted in this little boy's mind. Those words didn't make any sense in the eyes of the little boy back then but as he grew older he started to understand the meaning behind of this nonsense riddle.
 

Kris was brought to an orphanage on the very next day after his loss. He didn't speak to anyone, he didn't play with the other kids, he only sat somewhere in the house or in the garden. He didn't cry, though, he just sat there hugging his knees tight up to his chest looking at nothing. Want went on in his little mind no one knew and he never told anyone. He kept his sorrow to himself.

 

Some weeks later little Kris got adopted. He didn't think much of it – no one could ever replace his parents, his mother’s laugh, her smiles, her warm hugs, his father’s encouraging words, and the way he patted his son's head with eyes showing nothing else than pride over his little boy. No one will ever be good enough to be his mother and father! No one!

 

When Kris was brought to his new home the mother there took her into her arms and hugged the little boy. This nice gesture left the little boy cold – no one will ever replace his parents! But her hands were so warm and soft whenever she wiped the tears of Kris away when the boy cried. It hurt Kris even more because he could feel the love this woman was feeling for him, but he didn't give anything back. He couldn't, he didn't know how to love anymore.
 

***

 

Little Kris started changing. The boy got thinner and paler day by day. He didn't eat much, he didn't talk much, only if asked something, he responded. The sparkly eyes he used to had died, his look got cold. The little boy who he used to be was gone now.

 

The children of the family started mocking him, making fun of his sickly appearance, they got jealous of him that their mother always comforted him whenever he cried or seemed sadder than usual. Kris had only lived two months with his new family and he was already rejected! His new mother sure loved him but his new sisters and brothers didn't. Did Kris cry because of that? No, he was absolutely indifferent. He just stood in front of those children fo a while looking at them, he blinked a couple of times, and then left. He want either to his room or to the garden.

 

Kris was like an old man in a little boy's body. When his new parents asked about how he felt or was he sad he answered them with such difficult and deep words that it was hard to believe that this creature here was only 7 and a half years old.

 

Kris's step-parents didn't want to see this boy get more hurt that he already has. With heavy hearts Kris's step-parents brought him back to the orphanage so he could be taken by someone who could really love him. So Kris could be somewhere when everyone appreciateed him. The boy didn't cry anymore – he had run out of tears, he had got so used to being alone now, with being sad...

 

***

 

When Kris got adopted again he prepared himself – he thought he'll get rejected again. But this couple, the family Lang, didn't have children of their own and they took care of the little boy very well. Kris felt, after nine long months, what it meant to be loved again. He was happy. He learned how to love again.

 

After a while he started smiling again. He gained weight and turned into a handsome little boy. He played with his new father and mother. His days were filled with joy and happiness.

 

When he turned 7 his step-parents made a little party for him. He got a very special present – a pendant with his real parents' pictures inside. Seeing this he bursted out crying. This was the best present to ever give to this boy. Now he can never forget them, his parents, his dear parents.

 

Kris carries this pendant with him everywhere he goes. Even now, 14 years later. He still remembers the words of Mr. Lang: „Always remember the ones who gave you the reason to live.“ He will remember.
 

Unfortunately, Mrs. Lang died soon after Kris's birthday and a few weeks later Mr. Lang followed his wife down her path. But they loved little Kris 'til the very end and Kris knew that. He's forever grateful for that little time he could experience their love and care. He will never forget them.

 

It was hard for Kris to see his parents die for the second time. That's why when he got back to the orphanage he ran away from there. No more families, no more heartbreaks, no more death. Kris's little soul was so torn up that he never hoped to see light and happiness ever again.

 

***

 

Now we reach to this point – Kris is sleeping on the cottage staircase next to a wise old dog who's determined to keep the little boy warm.

 

„I'll be back by midday. See you, honey.“ a young male's voice was heard from inside.

 

The man opened the door. „Huh? What is this? Pocky, who have you brought here? - Honey, come here. Come here quick.“ The man called his wife while picking up little Kris.

 

„What is it? - Ah!“ the young woman gasped. The boy in his husband's lap was really pale and his lips were blue.

 

„We need to warm him up. Quick, get the hot water running!“

 

Kris's eyes flickered open but closed again, he shifted in the man's arms. The young man could feel how the little boy in his arms shivered – did he really spend his whole night out in the cold? Why didn't he knock? Maybe he did but no one heard him? No one was there for him!

 

„There-there, now, little brave one. Don't hurt yourself.“

 

The young man put Kris inside the bathtub filled with warm water. They didn't bother to take his clothes off – the boy needed to get warm and fast. As soon as Kris's skin came in contact with the warmth of the water he shot up but his legs failed him. The young man caught him.

 

„Calm down, little boy. Everything is fine, we're not going to hurt you,“ he assured Kris, „Now,“ he gently pushed Kris back to make the boy sit into the water, „you need to get warm.“

 

Kris didn't fight back. The manner this young man talked to him reminded him of his father and Mr Lang – that calm voice... it was so soothing... so warm.
 

With all this ruckus the family's son was awoken. The little guy stumbled out of his room rubbing his sleepy eyes.

 

„Mummy? Dada?“ he called.

 

His mother came up to him. „Oh, you little one, you woke up? I'm so sorry.“ she said and picked up her son.

 

The bathroom's door was open and Kris saw this simple yet very heartwarming scene – tears began to sting in his eyes and he sniffed. The young man by his side, hearing that, turned to face him and the man's eyes widened – Kris was crying. And after a short moment the boy was wailing loudly. The man took a towel and picked Kris up from the bathtub, wrapped the soft towel around the boy and hugged him.

 

„Mummy, who's crying?“ the little boy in the corridor asked.

 

„That's the little boy whom your daddy found on our doorstep today.“ the boy's mother answered moving towards the bathroom with her son in her arms.

 

„Why was he there?“

 

„We don't know yet, dear.“
 

At the same time the young man was trying to calm Kris down by the boy's back – it seemed to work.

 

The young woman put her little son down. The little boy right away went up to Kris and put his tiny arms around the boy. „Don't cry.“ he pleaded with tears b in his own eyes.

 

Kris stopped crying and looked into the other boy's eyes. They stared at each other like this for a quite a while, absolutely silent. Almost absolutely because either of them sniffed. The parents of the little boy exchanged looks and smiled.
 

„What is your name? I'm Tao.“ the family's son blurted out and a little smile crept onto his lips.

 

Kris smiled back. „Kris.“ he said softly.

 

„Well, Kris, let get you cleaned up and into clean clothes, shall we?“ Tao's father asked.

 

Kris nodded.

 

Later on Kris found out that this household belonged to a family called Huang and Tao was actually Huang Zitao, his father was Gao and his mother was Daoming.

 

Kris told them about his sad life and little Tao, though not understanding everything, cried. The little guy had a big heart – Kris could tell. To be honest it felt like he had reached home... home! He couldn't believe it! So safe, so secure, so warm and loved... He felt all this just by looking at the three people smiling at him.

 

Everything here, and the family here before him – it made him feel all warm inside, he felt so safe... like nothing else mattered anymore, like he hadn't been struggling for the last months... now, he was home. Somewhere he belonged.


 

***

 

Kris was right – he had reached home. The Huangs adopted him and this time everything finally worked out. He got himself a mother and a father and a little brother! And they all loved him!

 

He was home.

 

Now someone was there for him.

 

Finally someone was there for him!


 


And now I'm out of new chapters... I don't know if I manage to get the chapter I'm working on finished by next Saturday 'cause I have a lot of things to do, but I'll try. I just wanted to let you guys know that if I'm not updating next week then I haven't forgotten about you, I just physically can't do everything.

I'm just curious about how well you've read my story and how much attention have you payed to the details. So here's the thing: I have dropped some hints throughout the story about a certain someone who will get into trouble next. So who do you think that person is? (you can ask for hints)

Cheers, mates! And thanks for reading my story!