Who's falling now?

Royal Lovestory

 


 

Let the bodies hit the floor. The bodies of lifeless let them fall. Let them all fall.

 

The world had stopped dead at its tracks. The time held its breath as seconds ticked by, seconds which felt like hours. The young on the roof prayed that their first thought was wrong; Sunhi prayed that her heart was lying to her; Odelia prayed that her mind wouldn't trick her. Everyone wished that they didn't hear what they had just heard, think what they had just thought.

No screams had followed the gunshot, which could only mean that there wasn't anyone left to make a noise, not now and ever again. The first conclusion was that the war had taken another bite and this time it was too near to them.

And they were right. The one more person was dead, gone to a place where there were no feelings and no thoughts, no cry and no laughter. The leader of the Rotten's troops laid dead before Aron's feet. Sehun had a clean shot from where he was and he took it without hesitating. Though his pain was unimaginable and made it hard to concentrate on anything he still held his friends in his mind. He did what he could so that if he goes he will know that he had done his part.

You only die once.

 

After Sehun's single shot echoed through the house the thin barrier between peace and war broke down and a cascade of screams, shooting, kicking and hitting came upon both Aron and Sehun. The latter had four more bullets left, but there were a lot more unwanted people than there were bullets for them. But that didn't stop him. His aim wasn't perfect considering his current condition, but it did more than enough damage to cover Aron's back.

Aron was already tackled by the men running upstairs. Clear your mind. Yes, the Night Watchman didn't think of what he did anymore. Mindless, emotionless, loveless, let them rest. He threw the very first guard against the wall and another guard grabbed onto him. Aron pulled out his knife and slit that one's throat. Mindless. Another guard opened fire and hit his mark – Aron got shot into his left arm. Emotionless. That guard lost his life in return.

Aron and Sehun weren't giving in, they weren't going to loose! Though two against fifteen is a battle lost long before it even started. Good guys are always out numbered... but how do good guys know that they are the good guys?

 

Sehun's bullets had run out. “Aron! I'm out!” he yelled.

The Night Watchman heard that and moved closer to Sehun, because it was impossible to think that his friend could protect himself like this, like the way he was.

“How many are there?!” Aron cursed when another three or four men reached upstairs.

“Apparently a lot.” Sehun said and swallowed his pain. The little adrenaline he had left in his veins wasn't enough to shadow his mind from the harsh reality any longer.

 

Aron was ready to die if needed, ready to make his move, but before he could raise his knife and take another life something unimaginable happened. The guard in front of him fell down. Just like that. The Watchman couldn't understand what he had just seen, but noticing a small arrow in the guard's back it was clear, who had taken this one's life.

 

“Are you guys still alive up there?” someone asked and soon enough the face of the voice owner himself appeared.

Aron just let himself fall on the ground and sighed a big sigh of relief. “Go get the others. The roof. Go. Attic.” He couldn't even talk straight right now, but he sure was relieved. Others were safe and so was he and that was the only thing that really mattered.

 

The things that followed were a blur. The helpers who came took Sehun away to somewhere, Aron remembered that the boy whaled and screamed when he realized what was going on: that his legs were barely his anymore. The youngsters on the roof were brought inside again, they were given hot drinks and their wounds and bruises were treated. Everyone seemed to be alright.

Aron didn't hear what anyone around him said - he was away in his own world. This feeling he felt in his heart was so familiar to him. Just a moment ago he had felt relief, but now something else had taken its place. He couldn't put his finger on it, but... it wasn't... We're not safe.

 

“Mum! Dad! Please, no! Don't take them away!

“Get out of the way, punk!

“Please, don't! Dad!

“Get away!

 

Aron jumped. The vivid pictures from his memories came back. The day when Aron and Lia's parents were taken. Those men, who took them, had no heart. One of them hit Aron with his gun – the blow came from behind – and as he was smaller back then the hit landed right on his neck. That's one of the reasons why Aron tends to rub the back of his neck from time to time – he still feels the pain. Lay said he was lucky that he wasn't crippled for the rest of his life, because some from the Rotten's army know their job too well and killing or crippling a child is just like breathing for them.

 

JR had slipped away from the reality – the cold had been too much for his already weak body. The prince's fever had only risen higher and now he was couching endlessly. Lia could tell that it was painful because JR expression didn't calm down one bit even when he could breathe normally for a while. Was he going to die? But who's going to talk to all the people on the name of the King? The people of the North already have little, if any, faith in Lucras and JR is the only one who can save Royal family's pride and honor.

 

To HyunAe's disgrace Ren didn't say anything when the girl fell and hurt herself. It was like Ren wasn't there. He was surely in his own little world, consumed by his thoughts of who knows, but he could have shown at least some kind of emotion, but he didn't. Ren had built the same facade around him as he had had a year ago, the facade that Baekho, JR, and Minhyun had had trouble breaking down, but now the emotionless Ren was back and he was back to stay. HyunAe had no idea what to do. Only thing she could do was to wait and hope for a miracle,

 

Haeran had also noticed some very obvious changes in Minhyun. The boy had followed Ren's path. Minhyun had too turned into a cold rock. The little conversation Haeran and Minhyun had had no real meaning; a simple 'good morning' and a dry 'sweet dreams' didn't display anything from Minhyun's head. To tell the truth Haeran didn't really know the boy. They had seen each other just a few weeks ago – barely a time to get to know somebody – and now she was wondering why Minhyun was acting as he was. Maybe it was the real him? Maybe they didn't actually fit together? Did they rush too much? But she didn't want to let him go, she felt so secure...

 

Were any of them doing the right thing in the first place? Wasn't it better to leave it all before anyone else got hurt? Maybe it was better to run away and forget? Maybe the faith of this kingdom wasn't in their hands and they were just wasting their own lives to save something that wasn't meant to be saved?