A night to remeber

Royal Lovestory

 

 

 


 

 

Five days before the ball.

The day flew by unnoticed, the girls studied hard under the watchful eye of Lay and the boys were busy with the preparations of the ball as they have been. It was said that this ball was going to be grander than any of the previous ones, but in JR’s mind Lucras has never actually known the meaning of glamor and glory. That greedy bastard only knew the vanishing and vain weigh of gold.

 

But enough with them let's go find Minhyun now...

This is so weird. I feel nervous every time I see her. My palms start to sweat when she smiles... when she giggles and wrinkles her nose... when she pouts every time she's deep in thought... when she tilts her head to the side and zones out fiddling her fingers. Anything she does. She's just so... The young man sighed and closed his eyes.

Minhyun was lying in the castle's garden. This one was called The Cherry Garden, because obviously cherry trees grew here. The ground where Minhyun lay was as dry as on a sunny summer’s day because of the exceptionally warm winter, but that, of course, didn't mean that the nights weren't cold. It felt like the weather knew what they were up to so it held back any water in the clouds to pour down. It hasn't rained for weeks now.

 

Should I tell her about it? Maybe it's too soon? But maybe she doesn't feel the same? But she has shown it so many times that she's at least a little bit interested... a little... maybe... “Ahh. Why is love so complicated and confusing?“ he said out loud ruffling his hair and switching the song on his music-player to a calmer one. He had had these thoughts in head head for quite some time now. Back at the border he had hard time to focus on his training when Haeran was watching, but he never wanted her to turn away, because he liked her attention. He had noticed Haeran's weird behavior during the last few days and it also bothered him along with many other burdening thoughts in his head. In fact he and the other guys had a little discussion about the girls just an hour ago, but nothing of what they talked about had calmed him down.

Maybe they're just at this time of the month...” Ren thought.

All at once?” Baekho made a weird face.

It can happen you know!” Ren protected his viewpoint.

I think we just have to go and find someone who knows something about this.” JR said.

Lay.” Minhyun pointed out.

But no one had time to go to Lay's and the man himself had no free moment to listen to their worries either. Somehow, without any logical cause, there was a flair-up of the plague today in the city and after Lay had finished his rushed lesson with the girls he took off to at least ease the pain of the infected. Thanks to the creator  of the disease – about the creator himself, well, that's another story – he managed to make an antidote and it was working quite nicely, but there still were some cases that brought misery to families – yes, some still died, because the plague had transformed.

 

But why are we focusing on sad things? There's this guy called Minhyun and his world is about to crumble down if he can't speak his mind! Let's now get back to the real urgent matter here.

Little did Minhyun know that there was somebody else in the garden. It was a girl. As the garden was dark and one could hardly see one's hand not mentioning where one was going the girl tripped over Minhyun's mile-long legs. Rest assured that she didn't get hurt, more like startled, because she kind of spoke to herself as she was having her little stroll in the darkness.

 

Minhyun sat up quickly, took off this earbuds and lit up the faller's face with the light from his music-player. „Haeran? Wha-what are you doing here this late?“ Haeran didn't answer. Minhyun inspected the girl's face a bit and noticed her cheeks sparkling, covered with fresh tears. Minhyun's heart sank. There has to be something wrong! It can't be just moodswings, can it? Why are you crying?“ he pleaded.

The girl didn't answer. Should I tell him? Maybe not. But he's... he can't be playing... but maybe still. But he showed me that he... at least a little bit... that's a start right? A small fire grows big. Maybe this fire we have is still  a spark... Oh, I don't know...

Minhyun asked the same question again. Haeran turned her head away from the light. It was more than evident that something was off. By now Minhyun was really worried. „Haeran, please.“ he begged.

This time an answer came: „You wouldn't understand.“ the girl muttered. Is he blind? Hasn't he seen how nervous I've been every single time I've talked to him? Hasn't he heard me stutter? Not even once? Why is it all so complicated! Why did I have to come here! Why am I even doing here? Really!

Please, I want to understand.“ Minhyun said wiping her tears away with his handkerchief he had taken from his pocket. He really wanted to understand though he knew that maybe the answer that came wasn't to his favor, but the world is full of mysterious ways and maybe fate has just a little more planned for him than he knew in his heart to be.

 

Haeran took the handkerchief from Minhyun's hand and nodded. Though Haeran was uncertain she knew that if she won't speak now she might never have a better chance. She had to trust her gut which said that speak now or be silenced forever and forever is an awfully long time. Maybe I should. It's just for me, right? I'll get a peace of mind. And if things won't work out I can always go back. It would be torture to stay here when I'm not the one... The girls will understand, I know they will. And so, with one big breath, she told him: „There's a guy and I like him, you see. But I'm not sure if he likes me and I'm pretty sure he doesn't.“ she blurted out and without a warning started sobbing again.

Have you asked him yet?“

Haeran shook her head.

Then why are you crying?“ Minhyun couldn't understand the girl's sadness.

I don't know. I just feel so hopeless.“ Haeran hiccuped. Why am I even crying so much over such thing? I'm so silly.

A sad smile appeared on Minhyun's face. He really felt sorry for her and he wished he could do something. At the same time Minhyun himself felt sad and the hopelessness from Haeran took its tone on him as well. But it will hurt even more if he lost her. Yes, that's really the suffering he will go through. If he only knew what he was getting himself into. Though right now he didn't know and he really didn't care, all that was on his mind was to find out the truth even if it wasn't the truth he searched for. What if she doesn't feel the same? No! She does feel the same! She just has to! ...I need to know.

 

C'mon. I want to show you something.“ Minhyun said standing up and stretching his hand out for Haeran. The girl took his hand.

A little smile appeared on Haeran's face as her hand came in contact with the other's. How come his hands are so warm when it's freezing outside?! Well, the answer is simple because he was blushing so hard that he could lit up the entire city for a few years. Haeran herself could power the neighboring city.

 

Where are we going?“ she asked with a still wavering voice from all the crying.

You'll see.“ smiled Minhyun.

***

 

At the same time Lay was in the garden. What was he doing there? Nothing much. He had had a hectic day with all the new patients and the flair-up and whatnot, his own personal problems. There wasn't one day when he didn't think of one beautiful fairy in his life, his darling Yulyn. Her face was fading in his mind and he had to fight not to forget her for good. Though his heart was secure his mind had started wandering, the distance was surely breaking their bond and Lay feared that when he meets his love their flame has burned out. He couldn't let that happen, he wouldn't. He had made a promise and he was meant to keep it no matter what happens.

With heavy thoughts in his mind Lay wandered around the Cherry Garden. He had reached up to the wall and looked up. Ah, yes, the moon – what a beautiful night we have. The skies as clear as polished crystal and the moon and starts as bright as the sun. When Lay found time to look around the garden he noticed the odd couple. He turned off his flashlight to make sure not to disturb the interesting and intriguing scene. He liked good old romance and it made him smile – it brought back some memories which he really needed to remember. Good luck, Minhyun, may you have more luck than I did. And with that Lay headed back inside.

 

 

Minhyun took Haeran to the farthest corner of the garden, it took some minutes to walk there, because the garden was quite big, though it seemed little when looked upon from the castle's windows. There was a little house leaning against the thick brick wall with a big old cherry tree growing right next to it. There was also a ladder leading up to the roof of the little house and another ladder from there leading its way up right onto the garden's wall.

After you.“ said Minhyun motioning to the ladder. Haeran didn't let him say it twice. She started climbing. Watch your step now. Don't trip.“

I'm not that clumsy!“ Haeran said looking over her shoulder to Minhyun.

You may never know.“ the latter laughed in response.

After a few moments of climbing in silence they reached onto the wall. Ahh. It's so beautiful. I can see the whole down from up here!“ Haeran couldn't contain her excitement. Minhyun chuckled upon the sight. Calm down, heart! You'll blow it! Minhyun, pull yourself together!

You even have benches up here?“ Haeran asked giving Minhyun a surprised look.

Yup. We brought those up here. In the summer it's a great place to hang out. The trees are so high around the wall and in the garden that their branches cover us perfectly so no-one sees us up here at least not from every side.“ Minhyun explained feeling quite proud about the little hide-out. But he still wanted to know about that guy Haeran mentioned. It was really bugging him. „But what about that guy you mentioned earlier? Could you tell me about him? Maybe I can help somehow?“

Haeran took a seat on one of the benches and sighed looking at the city. Minhyun sat next to her leaning back on the backrest and looking in the distance as well, waiting for the answer. Now or never they both thought. What can they say, it was the weirdest and yet most enjoyable experience in their life, it sure beats winning snail races and eating best and sweetest cupcakes. Let's just say it: love is awesome and that's a fire they should play with, because after all, it can bring joy that lights up their whole life and the other part about eternal misery... well, let's just focus on the pretty things.

I see him everyday. He's a nice guy. He has the most beautiful smile I've ever seen and the sincerity of that smile is just mesmerizing. Every time I see him smile my heart skips a beat...“ she trailed off. „He's kind and he's really handsome.“ The cold wind blew past the two. Haeran started to rub her palms together. It was getting colder and it was late.

Minhyun noticed Haeran's actions and he found that he was cold himself. „Are you cold? Wait. I'll bring us some blankets from the Cherry House.“ he said and got up. “You can wait, right?”

“Sure.” Haeran shrugged.

Minhyun climbed down the ladder as quickly as it was possible in the dark. He literally jumped into the house, grabbed a few blankets – only god knows how he saw them – and jumped back out. He sees quite many guys every single day and they all smile, after all she's pretty... but that doesn't give me much. I need something more specific. Minhyun was so deep in thought that he didn't notice the presence of another person in the garden, by the flowerbeds. He got startled. Holy- I almost soiled myself. Suho? What are you doing here?“

Ah! Minhyun. Why are you-...,“ the other looked up at the wall, „O-oh... It's a girl, isn't it?“ Suho winked at the boy.

Minhyun blushed. For his luck it was dark enough to cover him. Yeah.“ The boy said rubbing the back of his head.

Anyway. I came here for these.“ Suho said holding up a basket with gardening tools. „I couldn't sleep so I thought I'd come here to get these. I need to sharpen the scissors anyway... and so...on...“ he trailed off looking at Minhyun and then at the wall. „But why are you still here! Get up there – your girl is waiting for you! Go!“

Ah! Right.“ Minhyun obeyed.

Meanwhile Haeran was starting to turn into a popsicle. She was rubbing her hands and shivering and the wind up on the wall wasn't doing any good. But Minhyun got back just at the right time and put a blanket around her. It was such a simple gesture, but it was enough to make him forget was he was thinking just a moment earlier.

 

“Are sitting down or will you stand there for the rest of the night?” Haeran asked knocking Minhyun out from his daze.

„What? Ah, no.” Minhyun said and sat down. I' not a moron! Goddammit! But I might as well be when I can't pull myself together...Now tell me: how does he look like?“ he continued from where they left off.

He has dark hair.” I have dark hair... but so does JR... and Xiumin... and D.O. and pretty much everybody!

Is there anything else about his look that you'd like to point out?“ Minhyun asked in a faked calm voice. If the butterflies in my stomach were cows I could found a farm... I'd be so rich.

Well there is one thing about him that makes him stand out.“ she paused for a moment to build up her courage. She continued: „He's really tall.“ Yess! Me! ...No... Kris... and Tao and... again... many others...

By now Minhyun's heart was racing and the butterflies in his stomach were playing tag, but it had turned into a war and the red butterflies were bringing in new forces. Why won't this end already?! Let's get this done and over with so we could all go home and have a big mug of hot chocolate!

Minhyun swallowed and asked his final question: „Would you like to give me his name, please?“ The boy wasn't looking at the girl. He found it difficult to even keep his body still. Now or never. This is it...

Haeran had trouble keeping herself calm as well. The boy I like...His name is – is...He is.... Hwang Minhyun.“ Haeran said breathing out at the end.

For a moment there the world stopped for the both of them. The time stood still, they didn't breathe, the city was quiet, the clocks of the world came to a halt, the moment came to an eternity. Minhyun's eyes widened upon hearing his name. This answer was quite obvious already but it still came as surprise. Minhyun slowly turned his head to face Haeran and a big and happy smile appeared on his face. He leaned in closer so he could whisper into Haeran's ear. Those were the words the girl never forgot.

Well, I have news for you – he likes you, too.“

After saying this Minhyun gently cupped the girl's face with his warm hands, leaned closer, and planted an electrifying kiss on Haeran's lips. This really was a night to remember. And it will become the eternity both hoped for, until the very end.

 

 

But why, even now they were watched? Can't anyone be let alone in this castle?

Of course the couple didn't notice it, but the one watching them sure did. The sad thing was that this man here was a friend, he was on the good side. No, sorry, this man here isn't a friend and he most certainly can't be on the good side, because friends won't spy on friends especially on intimate moments like this.

The Rotten didn't trust anyone. Ever since the princess and the girls got here the Council had been on their toes. They knew that their plans have been found out. Now they wanted those people out of the way. And Kris really didn't like his own role in all of this. Things were evolving too fast and Kris wasn't almighty, he was only one little person in this mad world.