All things considered

Royal Lovestory

 

Kris opened the door of the Cherry House and stepped outside. It was quite cold outside and at this time of the year the Sun shining was only a source of light and not warmth. The butler frowned - he remembered the feeling he had in his childhood when he lost his parents. Back then he felt as lifeless as now.

 

But I did the right thing! Why am I feeling so lousy then?! I got them out of here. They're fine! Aron will take care of them. They're absolutely safe there but somehow this doesn't comfort me. Something's wrong and I can feel it...

 

Everything in this Kingdom is wrong!

 

Kris looked at his watch: 9.12. He looked around the garden. The ground was covered in a thin layer of snow and he could see that it was still snwing a bit. The decorations from yesterday were still up. They seemed old and worn-out in the morning light. It seemed like the paper lanterns had been here forever. Some of them were broken - probably someone had intentionally or unintentionally either stepped on the ones which were on the ground or pulled the bigger ones down from the trees. Then again the last action could have been the wind's work.

 

It didn't matter what or how the garden had been littered, one thing was for sure: this place looked awful, as if it was abandoned. Kris couldn't really remember the last time when the gardens looked this bad after a ball, but then again he wasn't that old. And everything in this Kingdom is a mess.

 

***

 

He looked at the windows of the castle - someone had been looking at the all this time. As soon as Kris saw that unknown figure he began to run. From the corner of his eye he saw that the person had disappeared from behind the window. Oh, no you don't. I will protect them with cost of my own life. You're not getting away!

 

Good thing that the person had been standing on the second floor's window and also quite near to the staircase, so it was no problem to Kris and his long legs to get up there. He had already prepared himself to be ready for anything. If that person will start a fight he won't think twice to strike back. He was one of the Bloodhounds after all.

 

Within moments he was up on the stairs and stepped into the corridor from which's window the mysterious person had observed him and, some time ago, others, too.

 

"Please, sir! Don't kill me! I will not tell anybody, I swear!" a young girl who had been the watcher pleaded.

 

She had sprained her ankle when she had turned around to run away. By the time Kris got there she had managed to take some steps but didn't get very far. When the butler stepped into the corridor she dropped on her knees and said the words spoken just moments ago.

 

Kris was taken aback. He didn't know how to act. Well, actually it wasn't that hard because that girl was Sunhi, Aron's lover. Now I don't even need to make an exucse to send you to Aron's. You've made things easy for me.

 

A door in the opposite wing of the castle opened and closed.

 

Sunhi was still on the ground on her knees looking at Kris with watery eyes. It was obvious that any moment now her big eyes will not be able to contain the tears any longer.

 

Kris sighed, stepped closer, and squatted down in front of the girl. "It's OK, Sunhi. I know you didn't mean any harm."

 

The butler's soothing words and calm voice made Sunhi brake down. She hid her face into her hands and began to sob. Silently at first but after a short moment she let out a quite loud sob. Kris's eyes widened, not because the girl was crying but because someone might hear them.

 

"Hush, Sunhi!" he whispered looking around. “It's OK, don't worry. It's alright. I'm not going to do anything to you.” Kris had by now squatted down next to the girl and put his arms around her shoulders.

 

Sunhi looked up at the man. “But I...”

 

“It's OK. I just have to send you away now, nothing more.” Kris smiled. Lucras has already given orders to send out any suspicious people even from the castle. Lucras hasn't got over the fact that he had failed to turn Sunhi into a mindless puppet. I can't let her to be sent out. Aron wouldn't forgive that to me and I wouldn't forgive myself.

 

“Please don't! I don't want to go to another kingdom! Please!” the girl whispered. I thought he was on the good side! He has to be on the right side, I've always felt that! I don't know how but... somehow... and there's someone else... but I can't remember... why can't I remember?! These thoughts doubled her sorrow. Why can't I remember?! Now she cried because of two things: because she's afraid and because she can't remember some pieces of her past.

 

“Hush, girl! I'm going to send to you to someone who can protect you. I would never do the things Lucras has done!” Kris became a bit aggravated and said his thoughts out a bit too harshly, “Get up now.”

 

Kris pulled the girl up.

 

Then the door in the end of the corridor opened and Lucras stepped into the hall.

 

“Dry your face.” Kris quickly whispered to Sunhi and made her stand next to him. The girl did as she was told. Though her leg hurt she didn't show it. Her dress was long enough not to show that she was standing firmly only on her one leg.

 

When Lucras was few steps away Kris and Sunhi both bowed to the Headman. The butler spoke: “Sir, with what do we merit the honor of meeting you at such an early hour?”

 

The man didn't answer the question, he instead asked, arrogantly: “Is everything ready for today, butler?”

 

“Yes, sir.”

 

“Very good,” Lucras said and  then looked at Sunhi. ”Why haven't you said anything, my child?”

 

Sunhi cringed on the inside because of the words 'my child'. I ain't your child, you old fart!

 

“I do not find myself compentent enough to say anything to such highly valued person like you yourself, sir.” she said looking down and dropping a curtsey afterwards. And I've got news for you: I can act damn good.

 

It was obvious how flattered Lucras was by Sunhi's – actually fake – words. “Well, then carry on.” he said and floated away in that ridiculous way he did the other day. The two servants bowed as the Headman passed them.

 

In some moments Lucras was out of sight. Sunhi let out a little chuckle and looked at Kris to find the man smiling.

 

“He really has gone full spin retarded, hasn't he?” Sunhi asked.

 

“Yes, he has.” Kris laughed.

 

He then turned serious again. “Now let's get you out of here. There's no time to spare. Lucras has always been very unpredictable. He may give orders to send you out to the East before I can do anything about it. - Come.”

 

“Where are you sending me?” Sunhi asked as she limped after Kris.

 

And the gentleman Kris was, he supported the girl to help her walk. “You're going to Aron.”

 

“Who?”

 

“For god sakes! How could you have forgotten him? He was- I mean he, is your boyfriend. Can't you remember anything?” Kris asked. Even though she isn't my girl it even hurts me that she can't remember. To be totally forgotten by someone you love - I couldn't handle it.

 

“I don't know... I've had this weird feeling that I've forgotten something but I can't put my finger on it. - Maybe it's Aron then... It feels right... Did... did he love me?” Aron... this name sounds so familiar... but I... I called him with something else... It has to be him! I can feel it! Maybe if I see him..

 

“Did he love you?” Kris asked being surprised. “He once said that he loves you so much that it hurts him! - So I guess he did love you...” It's better if Aron tells her everything himself. He knows more about her, he can use the details to help her remember.

 

Sunhi smiled wide but then turned sad. But I forgot... How could I forget such thing? I've hurt him...

 

“Now pack your things. In half an hour you should be on your way. The sooner you go the better. I'll get Luhan to take you there.” Kris said, opening Sunhi's cupboard and taking the few clothes the girl had out from the drawers.

 

Sunhi nodded and took her bags from under her bed.

 

In half an hour Sunhi had already left the castle and on her way to Aron's place. Just to be sure Luhan didn't take Sunhi straight to the Watchman, instead he drove around the city at first. Lucras's henchmen were quite lazy so if he drove around for an hour maximum they would lose their tail. That is, if they even had been followed in the first place.

 

***

 

Kris was summoned to the Council's room. They shouldn't be up this early! They have never even moved before the midday after any ball night! Something is definitely wrong.

 

He opened the door and stepped inside. The things that happened afterwards were something he wasn't prepared for. Well, he kind of was but still - it came a bit too early.

 

The moment the door closed his world turned black. The guards standing behind the door, inside the room, had grabbed him and one of them hit him behind his head.

 

When Kris regained his consciousness he was greeted by massive headache. It pulsated from his head down to his limbs. He figured that he was probably beaten after he was knocked out. Cheap tricks you have, Lucras. I never thought you were this weak. Kris tried to open his eyes – he was blinded by bright light and it did no good to his headache.

 

“Would you look at that: the almighty butler has awoken from his beauty sleep.” one of the Council's members remarked. Others laughed.

 

“I'm still better than any of you scumbags.” Kris spat.

 

Lucras got furious. “How dare you to talk to your masters this way!” he yelled and pulled Kris's head up by his hair.

 

“You are no master to me! You're just a worthless imitation of a shadow of a dog!”

 

Lucras turned red with anger. He stepped aside and let his guard-henchmen to beat Kris. The butler kept his mouth shut. Not a single sound, no whimpers, came out from his mouth. He had gone through things like this. He had learned to block out the pain. He raised his head a smirked at Lucras.

 

“Enough!” Lucras ordered. What is that smirk about? Though Lucras didn't want to admit it to himself but he was actually scared right now. He could see the power in Kris's eyes, in those piercing eyes, and it scared him.

 

“If you tell us where the prince and the princess are we will let you go.” As you see no one cared if any of the servants went missing. They simply get replaced by another.

 

“I will never tell you where they are!”

 

“Too bad then.”

 

Kris received another round of hits.

 

Later on he was moved on into the dungeons. Into the same room where once Sunhi had been tried to be brainwashed. Hours ticked by.

 

They injected something into Kris's system making him noxious. He felt how his mind went numb, he felt weird. And it was because this substance was called the Truth Serum or TS for short. Everything like this was supposed to happen.

 

What is this all? Goddammit... The headache... My head will blow up... Why does my brain feel like  molding clay?

 

“One last time: where is the royal couple?” Lucras asked again.

 

“Thr- “ What?! “They at the Cher Avenue 3?!

 

“Yes?” It's working!

 

“I will never tell you!” The substance! It was the TS! Damn it! He's already playing dirty.

 

“Maybe you could use some help? Mmh?” Lucras asked and motioned someone to inject another 3mg of Truth Serum into Kris's arm.

 

Kris looked at the injector – it was Lay!

 

Kris growled. “Traitor...” he mumbled.

 

“Sorry, dude. One has to do what one has to do to survive.” It's better this way – you don't know how TS works. The less you know the less you reveal.  And if you don't know, you can't tell. I want to see my family, too... and Yulyn.

 

Kris felt how his eyelids got heavy after some time. What did you do to me?!

 

“What is this? Did you inject Slepter into in him? Why is he falling asleep?!” Lucras got furious and grabbed Lay's collar.

 

“I'm sorry, sir. I have never injected TS into anyone two times in a row. It may be an side-effect.” the man raised his hands in defeat. You're right: it was a sleeping-drug. It's no side-effect - but you don't have to know that. You really think I would come over to your side? Sheesh! You're pathetic.

 

“Graa-ah. Whatever! He's useless anyway! Take him to the Square. We'll make an example out of him.” Lucras yelled.

 

The guards who he told that got a bit confused of what the Headman had meant. “Sir?”

 

“For god sakes! Are you stupid?! Hang him!” Lucras almost caught on fire because of his anger, “And take this one away and lock him into his quarters!” Lucras yelled his orders.

 

Two guards dragged the drugged Kris away and other two took Lay away.

 

The doctor, of course, protested about his taking away. “What is the meaning of this! You can't do this!” Wow! I should try to be an actor if all of this is over. Oh, yeah. Lucras, you know so little about this castle. There are secret passages taking out from pretty much every room in the castle! Your so-called imbecile prince showed us. He used to play hide and seek in those tunnels.

 

“Oh, I can and I will!” Lucras laughed. “And watch the others! The other servants! The butler's little friends!!” How come they are so stupid!

 


Yeah... I'll just keep and keep you hanging right now. Haa-haa, I'm evil. Actually I just try to make this story interesting... I don't know if I have succeeded or not. You can tell me that in the comments. Remember that I can't read your thoughts, so that means you have to take that one minute to write something for me. It's not a must, but I'd be happy if you do.

Thank you for your awesome comments so far! I gotta tell you that if I see that someone's taken their time to write me something it really makes my day. I usually giggle like a little girl in a candy store if I read your comments. That's the truth really.

Next chapter will be about Kris and about what he felt on that wooden platfrom. And the chapter after that you'll see what will happen to Kris. Will he die or will he not?