The sooner the better

Royal Lovestory

 


 

HyunAe asked JR what the silence was all about the next morning. JR decided that he should tell her and her friends about it. He also called Minhyun, Ren and Baekho into her room. He introduced the boys and the girls to each other.

"OK, now. I know it's a bit early to get you involved“ JR said looking at the girls, „but I guess the sooner you know the better.“

Baekho noticed that JR had trouble finding a starting-point to his story in his face so he offered his help: "Do you want me to tell them, JR?“

JR's eyes lit up. "Yeah, you do so. You know things better than I do.“

"Okay, then. Where do I start?“ Baekho rubbed his chin.

"How about - at the beginning?“ Minhyun smirked. Ren found himself amused by Minhyun's comment along with others.

"Thank you, for your input, Minhyun.“ Baekho said.

 

"Now, the reason JR didn't want you girls to speak at the dinner-table yesterday because he was mad at the councilmen who were at the table with you. He was giving them the silent-treatment. We among ourselves call them the Rotten Ones. Those guys – as much as you can – stay away from them. They used to be loyal to the King but now they are total opposites what they used to be - pure evil, I tell you. They want to overthrow the king.“ JR tensed up hearing Baekho's words. He had heard those words and said the same thing countless of times himself but he still felt disgusted by the truth.

Baekho went on: "There is a so-called „conflict“ they have created.“ he made air quotes when saying the word conflict. „As you see there is actually no conflict they just made an excuse to combine South and North with each other so they could rule the world.“ he made exaggerated gestures while saying the last words, earning a chuckle from the others.

"They have used this conflict as an excuse to send all loyal solders to where-ever to protect the kingdom. Kris's friend Tao was sent there aswell so we can get up date news all the time. And the first news, Tao sent us, were that there is no treat and they are just waiting there to get back.“

 

Baekho also told them that they, as in JR, Minhyun, and Ren, are collecting people who are still loyal and still believing in the King's trustworthiness. A lot people are against the King by now because the Council of Rotten Ones are oppressing the people in the name of the King. They have created an artificial famine by infecting the cattle and the fields. They have put high taxes on the people. And they're telling everybody that the King is behind the war, which - as we know - is nonexistent. All this have created tension among the people.

"For now there's nothing much to do. We just have to wait and hope more people will join us.“ Baekho said finishing his little speech.

"There you go. Now you know everything.“ JR said.

"I never thought I'd ever see this kind of thing in my life. Everything has been all roses and sunshine in my life up until now.“ HyunAe was stunned.

"Welcome to the real world, princess.“ Ren said with an emotionless face.

"Ren! Be polite.“ Minhyun lightly hit Ren's shoulder. The younger gave him a glare.

"No-no, it's fine. I needed that.“ HyunAe smiled.

 

Someone knocked on the door. "Breakfast time, guys.“ Sehun said sticking his head in the room between the doors.

"About time.“ Chinsun and Baekho said in unison earning curious stares from the others.

Breakfast had a big scoop of  Baekho's endless jokes as a side dish. In a while Minhyun opened up, too. He cracked some of his own jokes in return. It was nice to laugh from heart again especially when it hadn't happened for a good while.

 

After another laugh-attack Haeran managed to ask a question which had been bothering her.

"Minhyun, tell me please. How did you end up working as a royal coachman?“ she asked looking at the guy.

Minhyun got serious all of a sudden but then smiled again. "Well, there's nothing to be ashamed of, I guess. My father is from an aristocrat family but after marrying my mother his titles were taken away along with his money. The King felt sorry for my family and helped us through. I made friends with JR as I visited the castle. And now I'm here.“

"Yeah, Minhyun's family wasn't the only one. Same story with me. Only difference is that Minhyun was the one who got me here.“ Ren spoke.

"Yes, I did. You see, our little Minki is a bit shy.“ Minhyun said with a cutesy voice mocking the boy.

Ren looked at Baekho for help. Beakho took the hint.

"Okay, me next. My family has always been in the King's service and I, also, was already JR's friend so...working here seemed like a logical step...“ he trailed off.

 

"Now, ladies, your turn.“ JR said.

Chinsun took the lead: "Same as Baekho.“ She looked at Haeran for her to continue.

"My family owns a bakery and 3 years ago HyunAe walked in with her mother and Chinsun. The Queen liked my spunk and she asked my parents if I could come to work as a HyunAe's maid in the castle. At first I just visited her very often. Then the visits got a bit longer than a day. I thought that being the princess's maid is hard work but she treats us like we're her sisters. 2 years ago I decided sign the contract. And I've lived the South castle ever since and now I'm in here.“

"Thanks to you guys I know how it feels like to have sisters.“ HyunAe said with full sincerely.

"I can tell you how it feels – it stinks! Especially when you're the youngest one... and if you're the baby brother.“ JR said crossing his arms.

"Could you be more specific?“ HyunAe put her elbows on the table and rested her chin in her palms.

"It's confidential.“ JR ended the discussion. He looked at Baekho and noticed his smirk. Don't you even think about it!“

Baekho raised his hands in defeat. "I'm not thinking about anything.“

JR sighed. "I have two older sisters. I love them even though they were kind of annoying from time to time. I guess I annoyed them too so my argument against them is invalid. Now when they are married and not here anymore...“ he paused, "...I kind of miss them.“

"Yeah, I miss my annoying brother, too.“ HyunAe frowned. Everybody got silent for a moment.

"Okay – this is getting depressing. - How about a city tour for the girls, huh? Yes? No?“ Minhyun broke the silence.

"Good idea. I'll get Luhan.“ Ren piped up and ran out of the room not waiting others' answers.

"Well, I guess this answers the question for us.“ JR said standing up.

 

The rest of the day was spent roaming around the city. Boys decided that they won't show the so-called dark side of the city to the girls just yet. Maybe tomorrow. Maybe never... but never isn't never 'never' and they knew all too well.