One side of the secret

Royal Lovestory

 

Two days before the ball.

 

Our three girls were more than happy thanks to the very special occasions which had happened within the last few days. You can say that the trio was ecstatic, at least the kept jumping around all over the place and they just couldn't stop giggling. Love makes one do crazy things and acting like a retard is one of them.

 

„And this was the place where I crouched down and listened to them. - Look. Like this.“ Chinsun told the girls about the moment which made her think that Baekho had no interest in her. But she couldn't have been more wrong, as we know.

 

The other two looked at each other and had another round of half-suppressed giggles leaving their throats. You got to say that Chinsun looked like quite funny crouching down there, behind that bush.

 

„C'mon. Now I want to show you the place where I saw Minhyun that day.“ Haeran called others to follow her.

 

„And then I want to show you where I saw Ren.“ HyunAe quickly added.

 

The three ran into the castle, curious eyes looking after them and the mouths of those people  curling into smiles and mumbling „Love...“.

 

***

 

Haeran had finished telling the girls her story. The fact that she was the girl Minhyun had thought of at that moment when he answered to the maids that the prettiest girl is the girl in blue, made Chinsun and HyunAe go all 'aww' and 'That's too sweet. I think I'm going to melt.'

 

As the three girls made their way to that window, from where HyunAe had seen Ren, HyunAe told the other two her story with the details Ren had added. The girls were about to reach to the corridor where that window was – they just had to turn around the corner – when they heard some people talking...

 

„So what are we going to do?“ someone asked.

 

„I suppose we'll just have to end them off.“ a familiar voice answered – Lucras.

 

„Do you really think that's the best idea?“

 

„Heh. Why not?“

 

„But who's going to do it? No one of us wants to make their hands dirty.“

 

„I think you know quite well who's going to do it.“ Lucras said it in a manner which made the three girls behind the corner shiver. The Headman's voice was so cold and mean.

 

There was a moment of silence between the two men.

 

„You mean... HIM?!“ the other said with a voice a tad too loud – it made the three girls jump.

 

„Yes, him. Quiet down before someone hears us.“ Lucras said.

 

Steps were heard – the two men started walking. But – oh no! - they were coming this way! Girls realized that fact quite fast and they started walking, too, acting like they had just reached up this corner.

 

The two groups met.

 

„Ladies! What brings you here?“ Lucras welcomed the three in a way that made the girls cringe – flirty old bastard!

 

The girls bowed and HyunAe took the lead: „We're just strolling around, milord.“

 

„Well, then. Continue.“ Lucras said and took his leave with his comrade following.

 

The three girls just looked after the two and as the latters were gone they looked at each other.

 

„What was that all about?“ Chinsun looked at her friends.

 

„I have no idea but someone's going to die.“ HyunAe answered.

 

The girls had only heard the end of the conversation. The Night Watchman, in the other hand, heard it all.

 

That young man sat behind his table and was deep in thought.

 

I must warn Kris – as usual, in this time of the month, he's god knows where again. Why is it that he's always away when he's needed?...He's been disappearing like this more often lately. This time he has already gone out 2 times in a row... He must be hiding something...

 

Ah! Whatever...

 

After the ball those children are getting out of there.

 

Gosh, how I hate it! Then that prince-boy has to come here, too. If Lia wasn't here I'd probably have my way with him.

 

***

 

Back in the castle HyunAe, Haeran, and Chinsun were looking for Kris. Why was it always like this: when you looked for Kris he was never around but when you weren't looking for him he always showed up? Remembering that fact the girls just went to the library – this was the only quiet place left in the castle with all the hustle and tussle around. They thought that if they weren't looking for Kris he must show up after some time.

 

Chen raised his head as he heard steps in the quiet hall.

 

„Hello, pretty ones. What brings you here?“ he smiled.

 

„Looking for Kris. You haven't seen him, have you?“ HyunAe asked.

 

„He's away.“ Chen said looking back at his books – he was still working on finding that law's loop hole. Then at least there was some kind of backing out from the royal marriage if there wasn't any other way. JR had told his parents he wasn't going to marry HyunAe; he wrote and sent a letter with that content. There haven't been any response from his parents.

 

„Again?! He was away just three days ago.“ Haeran said tilting her head.

 

„Yeah, I know, right. He'll most likely be back by evening as he said. - What do you need him for?“

 

„We heard Lucras talking to a guy about killing somebody. And... well, they didn't say who's going to get killed... a-and by whom. By the looks of it the killer must be known 'cause the other guy was quite startled when Lucras implied to him...or her.“ HyunAe said.

 

Chen nodded.

 

„Do you know who that 'him' is?“ Haeran couldn't drop the matter.

 

Chen put the book down and sighed. „No, I do not. But I'm pretty sure Kris does. When he doesn't then he'll ask his connections – and I can tell you he has a lot of those people.“

 

The girls didn't ask any more questions after this.

 

***

 

When Kris returned to the castle in the evening his first stop was at the Council room where Lucras was already waiting for him.

 

„So... you finally took the time to visit our humble quarters.“ Lucras said, weirdly emphasizing almost every word.

 

„Keep your thoughts to yourself.“ Kris hissed, „What do you want?“

 

Lucras put a picture on the table. „His head and nothing less.“

 

Kris took the photo, glanced at it, and slammed it back onto the table.

 

„I will not be a part of this! This isn't a part of the deal!“ he almost yelled but still managed to control himself.

 

„Oh really? I suggest you put a band-aid on that bleeding heart of yours – it doesn't suit a mercenary. You do as I say or you're going to meet your beloved ones only in the after life.“

 

„I'm not taking any orders from you.“ Kris sternly said and took his leave.

 

„Then you're going instead of him!“ Lucras yelled just before Kris slammed the door shut. I will get my way... First I'll take care of you and then him...but I'll kill everyone who are precious to him first.

 

Damn that Lucras! If I could just finish him off right here right now!

 

Kris went to his room. Aron called him.

 

„Hey, what's up with the Lisa-s [a pet name for Ren's listening devices] in the Council room? I couldn't hear a thing while you were in there?“ Aron's concerned voice filled Kris's ears.

 

Kris didn't answer. I don't want to keep any more secrets... Why did I have to do it?

 

„Kris? Hel-lo-oo.“

 

„I turned them off, k'ay?“ Kris blurted out.

 

Now it was Aron's turn to lose his words.

 

„Aron, speak to me.“ Kris got desperate. He had no idea what the other was thinking; he couldn't see the other's face.

 

„Well then...It was your choice I'm not going to press forward. .- You obviously don't want to talk about your recent disappearances, too, right?“ He is hiding something. I can assume what it is and I'm more than sure that I will not like the truth.

 

„Not really.“

 

„Fine... Then about the fact that Lucras wants to have some people dead. You do know about that, don't you?“

 

„I do.“

 

„So you'll send them down here after the ball as we agreed?“

 

„Yes. I'll tell them tomorrow to put their things ready for that.“

 

„Good.“

 

„Are you coming to the ball? Sehun brought you the invitation, right?“

 

„Ahh. I don't know... I don't think so... There is nothing for me anyway. I can't enter that castle... and you know why.“

 

„Yeah... it would be nice to see you, though.“

 

„Dude, you sound like you're going to die soon. OK then I'll come. But not to the ball. I'll be there somewhere at 4.“

 

„Thanks.“

 

„Well, it's time for my usual stroll around the city. I'll be going now.“

 

„OK. But be careful! There are more and more of Rotten's army on the streets.“

 

„You think I don't know that? I've sent some of them off to Hell already.“