The Hummingbird

Royal Lovestory

 

The next day started off with a little bit more of an energetic vibe. The kids got up earlier than yesterday. Odelia even set an alarm clock for herself. She had some plans for today. She was the housewife – not officially wife yet, but still... – around here. 

 

Aron went out again, like yesterday. This morning Sunhi woke up early enough to at least see the boy leaving. Has he always been like this?... I... think he... Has he?... That's right I don't really remember... but something tells me that he hasn't been like this... I can feel it... in my heart. The more Sunhi thought about it and the more she tried to revive the old memories the more her head began to ache, so she stopped thinking about the past. For now.

 

***

 

“I need to go to the market to buy some things,” Lia told JR as she packed her purse and some other essentials into her backpack, “You guys sure eat a lot.”

 

“We're used to live in luxury...” the prince responded feeling a bit guilty because of his habits, “Let me come with you.”

 

“What? Are you crazy? They'll recognize you and you know what will happen if they do.” the girl right away objected, making her point clear.

 

“I'll wear a mask or something. We don't have to attract attention to us. Don't worry. I can protect us.” the boy shrugged, “Besides what will you do if you meet that y guard again?”

 

“You're being ridiculous...” That guard... Lia made a face. It was obvious how disgusted she felt about that man.

 

“See. I did have a point there. I rather get beaten up than see you get hurt in any way,” JR said looking straight into the girl's eyes, “Just let me come.”

 

“Fine…” Lia sighed. She knew it was pointless to argue with the boy, because when he had decided to do something he would to that no matter what and no one could tell him otherwise. “But we have to disguise you somehow…”

 

***

 

“I can't see.” JR whined and tugged on Lia's sleeve.

 

“Hush, child. You yourself wanted to come along and now you have to live with it.” Lia scolded the boy in a motherly tone.

 

“OK, mommy.” the boy surrendered and lowered his head causing Lia to chuckle and pinch his nose.

 

And why was JR making a fuzz over the fact that he couldn't see? Well, it was the disguise he was wearing. Lia had attached a piece of hair extensions into his hair so that the fake fringe would cover the boys face... and it did. A bit too well actually.

 

JR and Lia were both dressed in clothes that would make them blend into the mass. They wore dark a bit worn out jackets which were mended here and there, old mittens, absolutely unmatching colored scarves and hats, and old looking – actually new – boots. Their scarves covered their faces so that neither of them needed to wear a mask.

 

“OK, now. We need some eggs.” Lia started looking through the shopping list.

 

“There.” JR said and pointed at the near-by stall.

 

“There sure are fewer and fewer filled stalls here as the time goes on.”

 

“Yea...” JR noticed the lack of shopping options, but kept his mood up: “But we're gonna change that soon.”

 

“Let's hope so... One packet, please. - Thank you.”

 

***

 

The market had sure become really low on the variety of goods. If JR didn't loose his track – which was impossible, because there were really few stalls to count – he counted 21 different ingredients being sold, which actually says a lot because compared to the used-to-be thousands this little number was like flies' poop. The used-to-be glory this place had... – the smell of fresh fruits, the happy chatter of people, the jokes being thrown around – seeing it all now was a really frustrating sight. There was near to nothing left.

 

And because Lia still needed some things that weren't sold here anymore the two had to go to the notably more expensive main-street shops to get the remaining items. Most of the shops here were closed by now. Windows were covered with boards and doors locked with two or more enormous locks. The clean porches, though, told that they had been open just the day before. But Lucras's greed has long fingers and if people can't live with it then they just have to pack their things and find the air to breathe somewhere else.

 

As some of the shops had just recently been closed for good Lia couldn't get two of the things she had planned to buy today. She needed some new needles and a new frying pan, but looks like she has to get through with the ones she has now.

 

She just has to clean the house – just one room – to find the lost needles and as for the pan... she has plenty of those actually if she took out the old ones and cleaned them up nicely. Though they were heavy it didn't matter, because they were fine and well: without holes and whatever else could happen with a frying pan.

 

***

 

“And it's already getting dark...” JR basically growled and fixed the traps of his heavy backpack.

 

“It's winter. There isn't much you can do about it...”

 

“Ho-ho-ha. There is,” the boy said raising his finger, “we could just simply move away whenever winter comes.”

 

“You have pretty ambitious plans, young man.”

 

“Ah. Funny, you.” JR laughed as he put his arm around Lia's shoulders.

 

“Me? I though we were talking about you.” Lia acted being bewildered.

 

“No-no-no, we are talking about you and me and the future decision whether we will go on a vacation every year during winter.”

 

“Oh... that explains it... I'll think about it.”

 

“Yess!”

 

Lia giggled at the boy. She found JR utterly adorable whenever he got excited or whenever he got what he wanted, though this time he didn't really get what he wanted for real, he just got an half of a 'yes'. But the thought of a warm place right now was a good one and Lia had to admit that she would like to travel around the world one day... hopefully one day soon...

 

***

 

When the couple was about two blocks away from home they got stopped by a group of Royal Guards. Five in number. JR thought that those men seemed suspicious the second he had spotted them coming their way. Those guys had their swords and guns placed on their hips the way that no by-stander could have looked past them – the weapons were just too obvious.

 

“Isn't this the nice lady from the other day?” one of the men addressed Lia from afar, “What are the odds?”

 

“The odds that you'll scram right now are a good hundred and ten percent.” JR hissed, but low enough that Lia was the only one to hear.

 

Lia just gave the guard a light bow hoping that that's that, but the man had a different idea.

 

“And who's this young man here?” the guard went on as the two parties came to a halt by a dead-end alleyway.

 

“I'm sorry, but that's not your concern, sir. If we may we would like to reach to our residence on time.” JR answered being strictly formal with the man – another way to say 'bug off, she's taken' around here.

 

“Is that so?” the guard asked raising his brows, getting visibly irritated.

 

“Yes, sir.” JR said being as cold as a rock.

 

“Well see about that.” the guard snapped and motioned others.

 

In a moment Lia and JR found themselves being shoved into the alleyway and getting cornered there. Two of the guys grabbed Lia by her arms and the other two pushed JR against the wall. The fifth, the leader guard – the same guy, who had addressed Lia – hit JR in the boy's stomach with his knee. It knocked the air out of JR's lungs and he leaned forward in pain, but he was pulled up roughly by the two men.

 

“What about now?” the leader asked kicking the boy again.

 

JR didn’t answer. He kept himself from making any noise – they weren't supposed to draw any attention, right? He was on the wanted list. Dead or alive, that's what it said. These five guys, however, didn't seem to know who they were dealing with. Whether it was good or bad it sure did give then some kind of advantage. Just get over and done with...

 

“Stop it!” Lia pleaded and tried to free herself, but that only made the guards tighten their grip around her arms.

 

“What about now!?” the leader yelled and kicked the boy again, this time in his face. The impact made JR's lips bleed... or were his gums bleeding, too?

 

“Please!”

 

“Shut up!” the guard yelled at Lia.

 

The girl was taken aback – she never wanted this to happen... It was supposed to be fun... we were supposed to be home by now… she squeezed shut… tears welled up her eyes… The one she loved with all of her heart was now getting hurt and she couldn't do anything about it. She was powerless. Only thing she could do was to watch and let her insides get thorn up by the pitifully horrible sight.

 

“Please, I give anything you want. Please, just don't hurt him...” Lia said without thinking.

 

“Shut it, woman!” JR yelled at Lia. I'm sorry... You don't know them... they will not stop...

 

The girl's eyes widened upon hearing those words coming from JR. He had never used these harsh words... and now... Lia looked at JR's way; the boy lifted his head and looked the girl right into her eyes. The look in the boy's eyes said it all: 'stay quiet and let them do this'. Of course Lia didn't want to let this happen, but two... one against five is a battle lost in advance.

 

But the ert guard didn't let himself to be annoyed by this. He had other things in mind. He just simply kicked JR once again before he took a step nearer to Lia. The girl wanted to step back, but the ones holding her didn't let her.

 

“Oh really,” the leader smirked a slimy smirk making Lia shiver, “anything?” He took another step closer to the girl and pulled her chin up.

 

Pull yourself together!!! Lia yelled in her mind. At least I can do this much...

 

The guard leaned closer to Lia and gave her a dirty look. But Lia wasn't afraid of him, instead of playing an innocent and fragile lamb; she kicked the guard standing in front of her. Too bad for him – he was standing quite near, legs spread just enough... – he got kicked into a place no man should be kicked. And it wasn't a subtle pat. It was steel strong feel-the-heaven kick.

 

The guard cursed in pain and almost fell over, but still managed to stay up... somehow.

 

As soon as he gained his composure he slapped Lia and calling her with names and words which are better to be left unwritten. The two men had released the girl right at the moment the leader hit her so that the maiden was now on the ground rubbing her stinging cheek.

 

“That's it!” the guard yelled and pulled out his dagger. “You little punks...” he hissed as he went up to JR, “you think you can use your cheap tricks on me and get away with it?!” he raised his voice and ripped off the prince's coat. “Think again...”

 

What was he up to?

 

Cold piercing wind cut through JR's underdressed body and the boy felt how the soon-to-be illness raised its head in his throat... and head... brace yourself the fever is coming.

 

But that really wasn't the thing to worry about right at this moment, there were much more serious and dangerous matters at hand. That blazing knife in the guard's hand was threatening enough already and the things that guy could do with it were even more terrifying.

 

JR was actually afraid of what was to come. This was the very moment when he realized for the first time in the last few years that this fight was real; this was – though fictional – was real. For the first time he could say that he had no idea what to do, he didn't even know if he saw the next morning.

 

“You think you're so smart,” the guard laughed pulling JR's head up by his hair, “don't you?”

 

“Don't flatter yourself. Sir.” JR growled. You should drink less. Your breath stinks... just like you!

 

“Speak for yourself.” the guard said and kicked the prince into his stomach. This time the boy groaned. “Already giving in, aren't we?” the man laughed in amusement. “Don't worry. I'll end your miserable suffering.”

 

And with that the guard motioned others to make their hold on the boy firm. The leader nodded to the ones near Lia, too, to make them hold the girl. Something was really wrong now...

 

JR was tensed up to the very ends of his very last nerve. He was breathing faster than usual, but he tried to keep it as unnoticeable as possible. Though he knew that the knife in that guard's hand was very likely to end his life, his only concern was Lia and Lia only. He peeked at the girl. Lia's eyes were wide and red, her cheeks had trails of fresh tears on them – she looked so small and helpless... but it wasn't in JR's power to help her now. Only thing the prince could do was to smile at the girl, just slightly, just enough to make her notice, to reassure her.

 

JR closed his eyes just in time when the cold knife came in contact with the flesh on his back. Searing pain ran over his entire body. He kept silent looking at the pavement, eyes wide, in pain. Lia, Lia, Lia, Lia, Lia... She's the one. Stay shut. Stay shut. It will be over. It will be over. He said those lines over and over in his head. No one was supposed to know who he was; he had to stay silent for the sake of Lia... and himself.

 

Another long cut over his back.

 

JR's breathing had gone heavy. He was shaking. Not because of the cold, but because of the...

 

Lia stood frozen on her spot. She couldn't register anything around her. It was like she had shut down on the inside. Her body was there but her mind wasn't, but then again her mind wasn't anywhere else either – she just simple wasn't there.

 

“How about now, you bastard brat?!” the guard yelled, eyes burning. He couldn't have been mentally stable, because the looks on his companion's faces just said the truth: their leader had never done anything this crazy and this brutal... but how could they know? They haven't spent every second with the man... they don't know.

 

JR was too focused on not screaming in pain that he even didn't hear that last question. It didn't matter to the guard anyway. He had got his revenge and with the final kick aimed at the boy he simply walked out of the alley way not looking back, like cutting and beating someone was an everyday action just like peeling potatoes or cleaning his shoes.

 

“Are you coming?!”

 

“But, sir...” the four men started looking at the two youngsters. Whether someone's view on some matter could change in a blink of an eye is true or not this moment here had just that effect on the four companions of the sadist guard. The four had never seen such brutal behavior and they didn't want to become a part of this.

 

“Just leave them!” the sadist yelled from the street. Before the four could object he went on: “Or else I'll do something I really don't want to do at all.” By that he meant the all-known and much feared banishment, which could be carried out with any kind of reason. Whether the person had really done something remotely wrong or not didn't matter, because the document already had the – forged – signature and the mark of the Royal zeal on it so all the paper needed was the name of the person soon-to-be banished.

 

“Just go.” Lia whispered.

 

“We're sorry.” the men muttered as they got out on the street as fast as they could. Of course they felt bad they had to leave the two behind just like that, but there wasn't much they could do... as long as they were under the label of Lucras. Tonight a number of Lucras's army will disappear.

 

“JR...” Lia whispered looking at the boy. She wanted to go up to him, but her legs... they just... she couldn't bring herself to move. Tears once again streamed down her face.

 

“It's alright, Lia...” JR said. His voice was so small... so... soft... Lia could barely hear it. “I'm still alive, dear...”

 

“But... but they-...” Lia couldn't even speak properly anymore. She just bursted out crying and sobbed loudly.

 

JR somehow got up. He didn't even feel the pain. His only thought was to get home, to get Lia to a safe place. Right now even the thought of Aron waiting them there wasn't enough to change his mind. The prince picked up his coat, put it on, and went up to Lia. He hugged to girl and whispered to her that he's fine and they have to get out of here.

 

“Are you sure...?” Lia whispered.

 

“As long as you're alright.” JR said. Actually he wasn't fine at all. He had started shivering, not because of the cold, but because of the fact that he was losing blood. “Let's go.” he said collecting the last bits of energy he still had left.

 

***

 

The moment the Lia had closed the door behind her JR collapsed right where he stood – his body just shut down, he had reached his limit.

 

“Baekho! Baekho! Come down here!” Lia yelled.

 

Minhyun came running down the stairs. “He's not here...” he informed Lia. Upon seeing JR he stopped for a second. The sight before him was horrifying.

 


Yes, I'm finally back! After a long month; I'm back!

I know I'm supposed to update on Saturdays but... I'm away tomorrow so: early update for JR!