One other thing

Royal Lovestory

 

When the youngsters woke up they felt tingly and excited. This was it! The great ball day! The day when they will dance and laugh, have fun in every way... and perhaps fall in love even more. Haeran and Chinsun couldn't wait 'til the evening .

 

But then again they felt a bit guilty. The people in the city were struggling to keep food on their tables and they, in the other hand, in the castle, were having a huge ball with lots of food and music, and games and all kinds of entertainment.

 

You've probably wondered how could GD and TOP open a bakery at times like this? Well, a simple answer to this would be that this was the place from where people of the North's capital could receive food. The fact that this place was a bakery was just for camouflage.

 

Dragon's Bakery got its supplies from outside of the kingdom – from the East. How come? The supply lines which came from outside were supposed to be cut off and, to be honest, they were and had been for the last 6 six months. But he thing is that any business which had Lucras's (not so pretty) picture on the wall, where everyone could see it, were allowed to import supplies from outside. GD and TOP, of course, had this turning wall. One one side it had this annoying Council's Headman's picture but on the other side, which was usually displayed, it had a caricature of the Headman and everybody loved that picture.

 

***

 

JR tried not to think about the depressing things too much. He decided he'll enjoy himself today. He met Odelia yesterday, though it was only for half an hour, as Lucras's stupid so-called royal guards have been roaming the streets more intensely for the last few days. The two lovers' meeting was in quite a sad tone. They didn't know when they'll meet again 'cause JR had to flee from the castle after the ball. The boy didn't know where he was going either. Lia had a good idea where the prince will go but she didn't say it out loud.

 

***

 

The big clock in the hall struck nine times. Time to meet up with Kris. The youngsters quietly snuck into the basement corridors and into that certain room. Sneeking around at this time of the day   wasn't a hard thing to do – no one noticed their disappearing anyway, everyone was too busy.

 

„OK, I'm not going to waste any time,“ Kris started, „The thing is simple. Ren, you're not supposed to get near to HyunAe at the ball. I know it's hard but try. JR and HyunAe, at least pretend that you're in love somehow. We need to make them believe to win some more time. Chen is working with the laws and yesterday he said he was getting somewhere. Anyway... others don't have to follow any rules at the ball as your relationships are acceptable.“

 

„So do you mean me and HyunAe aren't acceptable?“ Ren asked sarcastically.

 

„You know what I meant, Mingi...“

 

„Don't worry, Mingi. There's nothing between me and HyunAe. We'll be just acting.“ JR added.

 

„That's right.“ HyunAe also spoke up.

 

Ren looked at the two and nodded. I know... I'll just spend the whole evening alone then... Fabulous!

 

***

 

Aron sighed as he opened the old heavy wooden door in the Cherry garden's wall. He took a few steps and entered the Cherry House. You're right! There is a secret passage in the garden's wall! Clever you! This passage, though, hadn't been used for ages and it took quite a lot of force to get the door open even for Aron.

 

The boy looked around. In dim light he saw that this little house was turned into a tool-shed, probably to hide the true use of this place. He took cautious steps towards the door, meanwhile closely watching where he was stepping that he wouldn't cause any noise.

 

Aron opened the door and peeked outside. Suho was nearby doing something with the flowerbeds. Aron quickly got out of the house and went up to the older one.

 

Suho heard the steps and rose his head. „Oh, hello. You're here early.“

 

„Hi, yeah. Actually I'm not here for the ball. Kris just wanted to see me. Do you know where he is?“ Aron got straight to the point.

 

„Somewhere inside. Probably in the library with Chen.“

 

„Thanks.“ Aron said and took already took few steps to leave but Suho had something to say.

 

„You look good in the uniform by the way.“ Suho smiled.

 

„Don't start with me... I will never be a servant in this castle.“ Aron made a face.

 

„You used to be.“

 

„That was long ago. Bye, Suho.“

 

„Bye. Keep it golden!“

 

When Aron was small and the grass was still green he did come to the castle pretty often. Older ones remember him but every one of them. The young prince himself actually was Aron's playmate back then. But things change and children grow up.

 

***

 

„Hey, guys!“ Aron greeted Kris and Chen.

 

„Oh, hi! When was the last time we met each other?“ Chen got excited to see his old friend again.

 

„Probably in our previous lives.“ Aron shrugged. Kris snorted.

 

„Probably.“ Chen nodded.

 

Aron turned to Kris. „Anyway. Kris?“

 

„Right. Chen, we're gonna leave you here on your own now.“

 

Chen pouted. „Already?“

 

Aron smiled – Chen haven't changed a bit. This guy can seem serious and chill but he's actually really playful and bubbly. Like Aron himself.

 

„Yes, already.“ Kris nodded.

 

„See ya, Chen.“ Aron waived from the doorway.

 

„See ya!“ Chen shouted and went back to his books and old laws.

 

***

 

Aron and Kris were walking down the hall.

 

„Using the old 'I-wanted-to-see-you' as an exucuse to get me here is pretty lame, you know.“

 

„I know. But at least it got you here, didn't it?“ Kris smiled.

 

„It did...“ Aron nodded and peeked out of the window. They both stopped there. Outside there were the girls walking around. They probably had a good time 'cause from the looks of it they were giggling. Aron smiled to himself – he remembered somebody who's precious to him and back then he was as happy as those girls there.

 

Some maids passed by the two men.

 

The young men turned around and bowed to the girls. Girls made curtseys and hurried on to wherever they had been made a matter to go.

 

Kris turned back to look out of the window, he had noticed Peewee before, not so far from the girls, lurking. The butler displayed a disgusted expression.

 

„Kris, if you keep that face on you'll have wrinkles by the end of the day.“ Aron commented.

 

„Thank you for your observations,“ Kris nodded with a softer expression, „I just can't stand Peewee  looking at them like that. - See? He's there, right behind that tree.“

 

„Wow... he's gone much thinner than I remember him!“ Aron laughed. He looks like a scarecrow now! He's a prime example about what happens if one goes over onto the wrong side... I honestly feel sorry for him.

 

Another maid passed by. The men turned to greet the maiden. This time Aron knew this one. Sunhi!

 

The girl made a curtsey and walked on; the young men responded with the usual bow.

 

Aron was about to call after the girl but Kris stopped him.

 

„Don't bother – she can't remember you. I'm sorry...-“

 

Aron turned his head away, bit his lip, and squeezed his eyes shut – bitterness rose to his throat. He sighed deeply. This bastard really has to go. If I need to kill him for that then I will! He has brought nothing but sadness and hurt to everyone!

 

„-...I've tried to bring her memories back by asking her about if she remembers her past but in vain.  The funny thing is that she does remember her past but anything associated to you she doesn't recall. They really did a good job on her.“ Kris said. He knew too well how it felt to lose someone. He knew that pain. He knew it all. But it's much more painful to you. She's still here within your reach, she still lives... but she can't remember...anything... though she promised she will not forget...

 

„At least you've tried. Maybe she'll remember one day...“ Aron kept his hope up – hope was all he had left. The only thing that still keeps me going...

 

„I'm pretty sure she will. They can make her forget but they can't take away the memories. You just have to find the way back to those memories and whether she wants to remember or not is then up to her.“

 

Aron nodded. I will get her back. I can't lose any more precious people. I just can't!

 

Lucras came into view.

 

„Butler!“ the man called Kris.

 

Kris bowed and so did Aron - much against his will. He wished to just slaughter that scumbag right there but without any backup but Kris it would have been quite risky.

 

Kris glanced at Aron and the latter understood he had to act like he was a usual servant among hundreds in the castle. Aron excused himself and walked away. He turned behind the corner and stayed there, listening to every word Lucras said to Kris.

 

„What were you doing with that servant, butler?“ Lucras asked in his arrogant way.

 

„I was just explaining the house rules to him, sir. He's new. But that's not the matter of your visit, isn't it, sir?“ Kris acted humble.

 

„No it is not. I wished to know if everything is ready for the evening ball.“

 

„I assure you, milord, that everything is perfectly ready.“ Kris said, bowing.

 

Aron behind the corner cringed. It was a good idea that I didn't come to the castle. I would have never managed to act like Kris does. Bleh! Goose bumps...

 

„Very good. That's all.“ Lucras said, nodding. He then floated away – at least it seemed that way 'cause the manner of his walking was like he was trying to be a feather flying in the summer's breeze, a very big and heavy feather.

 

Kris, in attempt to hold back his laughter, bit his lip and smiled awkwardly looking after the Coucil's headman. That guy really is retarded. But he's as deadly as retarded I can never forget that.

 

The butler made his way up to Aron who, hearing steps coming his way, came out from behind the corner.

 

„I guess I'll go now if there's nothing more you need to tell me.“ Aron said.

 

„Actually there is one thing. Are you really OK with the guys coming to your place? You know, you and the prince and all.“

 

„I can't change what happened. Besides the need a place to stay and who else can you trust?“

 

„GD and TOP.“

 

„But they have problems of their own.“

 

„True. So you're fine with everything?“

 

„If I weren't I wouldn't have said yes. Now, you go. You're probably needed somewhere by now. I can find my way out by myself.“

 

„OK. You take care of yourself, Aron, you hear me?“

 

„I will. Be well.“