"I promised! I'm sorry!"

Royal Lovestory


 

Kris's vision was blurry and it didn't seem like it was going to get clearer any time soon. The 'royal' guards yanked him up onto some kind of a wooden platform... Kris stumbled over his feet. Dizzy and weak. So dizzy...everything hurt. His thoughts were scrambled. His head ached, it felt like someone or something pressed on his head from all sides. He could hear blood rushing in his veins. Pain pulsated from his temples to his nape, down his neck sending hot stinging waves of sharp pain all over his body. With every pain-wave he got weaker.

 

Though it hurt to even think he still didn't drop the matter why exactly was he here? What's with this platform? What's with the people? Everything’s... so strange. Then it struck him.

 

Hanged! I'm going to be hanged! But I have things unfinished! I can't... ...But then they'll leave them alone... and Baekho won't- He'll be OK... He can be there for them... to protect. He has Chinsun now...

 

No! I can't go right now! Not now! Tao! I promised to him! On the name of our parents... They need me! I can't go! I can't protect them like this!

 

Kris struggled as his mind started to clear. He had realized his situation. He tried to twist his hands free, to kick with his legs – it hurt so bad to make these sudden movements; Hell! It even hurt to breathe! -... but instead of successfully releasing himself he received a hit behind his head. His vision flickered. He gasped for air, the hit made it feel like his aching head was about to burst.

 

„Stop struggling you, moron!“ one of the guards hissed.

 

The royal guards tightened their grip. Another guard blindfolded the butler and tied his hands. So this was it? This is how everything ends? Like this?

 

Another pain-wave pulsated through his limbs. For a moment the air in his lungs ran out and he felt like he was going to collapse there at any moment.
 

 

Remember, Tao, when we were little.
 

 

The guards made Kris step some more steps. The pain... Kris's breathing got faster. It hurt even to breathe. So this is how he's going to die? Like a criminal? Did he ever did anything right?

 

His head began to spin. Everything swirled and twirled like he was on a merry-go-round. Make it stop...
 

 

Remember, Tao, when we played together, when we promised...

 

 

„I, Lucras BetRa'yal, hereby announce that Kris Wu Fan, the butler of the Royal Hall, is guilty of betrayal of his country...“
 

 

We promised... we'll never be apart. We promised... as brothers...
 

 

„...forgery...“ Kris felt bitterness in his throat starting to sting, tears began rinsing the cloth before his eyes.

 

 

Remember, Tao, when we were little...

 

 

Tao, come down from there! You little rascal, you'll fall!

 

I'll never fall. Look at me! I could even fly if I tried! I'm invincible when I'm with you!“

 

No! You can't be invincible, you're just a human! Come down! I promised I'd protect you. I want to keep that promise!“

 

„...conspiracy...“ Kris felt how the rope was put around his neck.
 

I'm sorry, Tao, for not being there for you any more...


 

Kris?

 

Mmh?

 

Let's make a promise. Let's make a promise that we'll never leave each other. - Let's make a promise that we'll stay together forever... as brothers. And if we get married one day then we'll all live in a big house. Both of us, our families, with mum and dad. Will you promise that to me?“

 

I promise.“

 

 

„...undermining the government....“ The knot around Kris's neck was pulled tighter.
 

 

Remember, Tao...

 

Remember, Tao, when we were little! When we promised! We promised! I promised! I broke the promise.... I'm sorry, Tao! I'm sorry!

 

„...Hereby Kris Wu Fan will be sentenced to death through hanging.“

 

Will you remember, Tao? Please, remember! I promised!
 

Out of the blue people started screaming and running.

 

All the bad things I saidI never meant them... I'm sorry!

 

With one swift move the hatch under Kris's feet was opened. The tears were now freely running down his face.
 

Zitao... my dear brother...
 

Shots were fired. Horses neighed. So loud, so loud. Everything was so loud.
 

When we were little! Remember! I'm sorry!
 

The rope tautened.
 

Tao
 

Kris's weight pulled him down. He couldn't breathe anymore. His body gave in, his world fell into darkness.
 

People didn't see that. They weren't there.
 

No one was there when Kris needed them the most... no one... but they promised...

 


To numb out the boredom you could also read my oneshots. Right now I'm working on one of my short stories - you'll see it when it's ready. Because I want to update that one on either every day or every other day.

But for now: read my other stories ;)