The Ball (2/2)

Royal Lovestory

 

„How are you?“ JR asked after some time.

 

He and HyunAe had been outside on the terrace for quite a while. Neither of them had said a word. They had been caught up in their own thoughts. After this evening their days in this castle along with others will come to an end. After today they will become renegades because the disappearing of the prince and the princess will not be left unnoticed.

 

But what about the disappearing of the others? Lucras wouldn't care less if any of the servants go missing as long as his wishes are be met. His heart is ice cold, he would have sold his own son – stepson to be exact – into slavery if the boy hadn't run away just the day before. There is nothing good in the Headman that's for sure. He chose this path himself, no one made him do this, no one, only himself.

 

„Good, I guess. Actually it's getting cold.“ HyunAe answered.

 

„It is cold. We should get back inside. Let's give them one hell of a show, shall we?“ JR said, smiling a sly smile – the good 'sly' - and rising his brows.

 

„What a brilliant idea, milord!“ HyunAe joined with the boy's plan.

 

The two walked into the ball-hall holding hands and acting all lovely-dovey.

 

***

 

The dance had just come to an end and as the royal couple entered the hall so all eyes landed on them. Most of the people who had wandered around the gardens had returned so now the number of eyes was notably bigger. Our four servant-friends  – ahem! lovers – looked at the couple at first being a bit confused but remembering that this was supposed to be an act their confusion turned into amusement.

 

„Should I bring the popcorn?“ Baekho asked making others snicker.

 

„I'll help you.“ Minhyun added.

 

The girls giggled like crazy. They couldn't stop. The boys exchanged looks, smiled, and put their arms around their girls, hushing them. Thanks to the hugs the girls regained their composure and the people around them didn't give them weird glances anymore.

 

JR and HyunAe went to their seats but they didn't sit down. The prince whispered something to Lucras. The man stood up and everyone quieted down.

 

„May I have your attention, if you please? The prince would like to have a few words.“ Lucras's voice echoed through the hall.

 

JR nodded at Lucras and began: „As you all may know I'm getting married soon...-“

 

The crowd started murmuring amongst each other. Different opinions could be heard.

 

„What a lucky girl!“

 

„I wanted to be his wife...“

„Soon? How soon?“

 

„I thought it was his birthday-ball.“

 

   - „He was born in summer!“

 

   - „O-oh. Oops.“

 

JR looked at Lucras and raised his brows at him.

 

„Dear guests, please! If you may? Your prince is talking.“ the Headman hushed the talkers. Look at this boy! He doesn't have any authority over his subjects. If I get rid of him after tonight, then I can frame whoever – maybe not whoever but still – from the guests. It would be perfect if that obnoxious butler wouldn't have chosen this time to betray me... Oh well, I will find someone else.

 

„...-as I was saying,“ JR continued, „I'm engaged to be married and I'd like you to meet my beautiful queen,“ he smiled wide and took HyunAe's hand, „HyunAe.“ With that he looked at the girl who smiled back at him. The two looked away after a short moment. Were they blushing? Kris and others looked at them with amused faces – their act really was good and if they didn't know the truth they would have probably fell for it.

 

The crowd applauded. This time other comments were heard.

 

„They're so lovely!“

 

„Why....why... I wanted to be his... I'm supposed to be instead of her...“

 

„When is the wedding?... I hope the cake will taste good.“

 

„So is this ball to celebrate their engagement?“

 

    - „Gosh... you're stupid.“

 

    - „Well, I'm sorry.“

 

***

 

The rest of the ball went by quite quickly.

 

The crowd came up to the royal couple to congratulate them on their future happiness. The two thanked everyone and had little chats with the congratulators. JR and HyunAe still kept on their little act and after a while they started to enjoy it. They were pretty surprised how easily people could be fooled, but then again they didn't know what was going on behind the scenes.

 

***

 

The lovely four had their fun. And as the girls had hoped: they did fall in love even more.

 

Chinsun chuckled to herself while looking at how Baekho stuffed his mouth face with sweets.

 

„What?“ Baekho talked with a full mouth.

 

Chinsun wiped some whip-cream off the boy's face. „Nothing. I was just thinking back when I first saw you.“

 

Baekho got interested and looked at the girl with curious eyes. „And~?“

 

„And back then I found you intimidating.“

 

„Really?“ Baekho faked his surprise and made the faking obvious.

 

„Yes, really. Just look at yourself! You're so big... and strong. But then again, I didn't know you yet and when I found out much of a goof-ball you were...“ she trailed off peeking at the boy.

 

The goof-ball's lips curled into a smile. „And then... you fell for me?“ he asked and he felt how his face heated up for the hundredth time this evening.

 

Chinsun nodded looking in front of herself and – would you look at that! – blushed, as well.

 

***

„Haeran.“ Minhyun called his girl.

 

„What? What's wrong?“ Haeran responded.

 

„Nothing,“ the boy smiled, „I just wanted to see your pretty face.“

 

„Haven't you seen that enough already?“ Haeran scoffed but felt flattered.

 

„I can never get enough of you.“ Minhyun said and put his arm around the girl's waist.

 

„Really?“ Haeran raised her brow as if in disbelief.

 

„Mmm, really.“ the boy answered.

 

Haeran smiled and offered a strawberry to her love and of course the boy snatched it from her hand right away.

 

***
 

Ren went up to the waterfall-fountain where he had confessed to HyunAe. I was so nervous... and I did mess up! But Kris was right: she had already said yes when she had decided to come. It was the best day of my life! Oh wait, scratch thatit will be one of the many very best days in my life. He smiled to himself looking at the cherry trees and paper lanterns around him.

 

Few more steps and he would have been there buttoo badsome random couple was already there. Ren was a bit disappointed but then again it was only expectable that someone was there before him, after all with all the extra people in the castle everyone wanted a quiet corner of their own. So with that the boy turned around and walked away quietly. Look luck, love birds. I hope no one's going to drop their present into the fountain.

 

Ren noticed someone sneaking behind the trees and he got curious but he wasn't sure if his eyes weren't playing tricks on him. Maybe the boy was just imagining things with all the dim light and shadows, and the fact that it was late, and he really was tired. Maybe it was just another lovely couple playing their love games of some sort – you know how young people are.

 

He went closer. No, he wasn't imagining. There really was someonethe contours of a figure could be clearly seen. This wasn't a couple.

 

The blonde took his time and watched his step – we wouldn't want him to get caught or anything, now, do we? – walking closer to the figure bit by bit. That figure sure looked familiar and... bony? Ren smirked. Peewee, you creep. Sneaking behind lovers... Ah! Disgusting!

 

The boy stopped quite close the the creeper. „Peewee!“ he suddenly bursted out.

 

Peewee jumped up. If he had jumped any higher he would had get stuck between the branches. The old man turned his head, visibly shaking.

 

Ren found this sight so funny that he didn't bother to hold back his laughter. The boy held on to his stomach and tried hard not to fall over. Once he had calmed down a bit he wiped the happy tears from the corners of his eyes, hiccuping a few times.

 

All this time Peewee looked at Ren and tried to make himself as small as possible.

 

Ren gave Peewee a stern look. „What in the world are you doing here?!“

 

I... I... just... my master... he-“ Peewee stuttered like crazy. This boy is crazy! One moment he laughs his head off and next he gives me a death glare. No wonder Master wants them all dead.

 

Yo-yo-your master. I don't give a rat's about your master! Get out of here and stop sneaking behind couples, it's disgusting! Go! Get moving. I said move!“ Ren showed how angry he can get. He drew some attention onto himself but as this place where he stood was dark no one knew who was yelling.

 

Peewee nodded and hurried away stumbling over his feet. Crazy! Crazy I tell you! I must inform my Master about this! This is outrageous!

 

Ren looked after the bony man and said to himself: „You know, I really feel sorry for you... I used to play Huntsman's Arrows with you! You taught me how to-... Now look at yourself. What a pathetic being you've become.“

 

The boy sighed and looked into the sky. And now he's going to tell his little master about this... We're getting outta here anyway. It doesn't matter anymore. Better if they know how exactly we think of them.