I'll let it be

Royal Lovestory

 

JR sneaked out every time he had a good chance to do that.

 

At first JR made his meetings with Lia seem as if he had just been in the neighbourhood and happened to see her. Lia knew it couldn't be like that because it would be quite a coincidence if the prince just happened to pass by when she was on the market or on the street – it was her road home – where they had first met.

 

Soon enough both of them accepted the fact that they liked each other and wanted to see the other every day, even if it was only for a moment.

 

Their meetings were kept short, lasting only a few minutes. JR couldn't be away from the castle for too long or it would be noticed. The prince didn't want to bring any trouble to Lia either. The girl did say that she needed to keep this as a secret from her brother, otherwise their chance of ever meeting again would grow very slim if not even become impossible. Neither of them wanted to risk with that.

 

***

 

The prince really tried not to act suspicious and he did choose his time but Kris, as he is, made note of the boy's comes and goes. After some weeks he hinted JR that the boy should cover up his tracks better or meet girls at night-time. The prince acted all innocent and said that he had no idea what the butler meant by that.

 

Kris smirked and crossed his hands over his chest. „Don't make a fool out of yourself. I know too well that if a young man, such as you yourself, starts to go out to god knows where every day then there's a girl involved.“

 

JR stayed silent and Kris could see from the boy's face that he had hit the bull's eye with this one.

 

Kris leaned closer to the boy and looked him right into his eyes. „Don't lie now. I can read you like a book and you know that very well.“

 

The prince looked back at Kris with eyes like of a little child who had eaten the last cookie which actually wasn't meant for him but he still wanted the godly sweet so he took it and ate it secretly but then he got caught and now he had to confess his little slip off as a perfect child and say that yes, he did eat the cookie. You know those I'm-sorry-mummy-it-won't-happen-again ('til the next time) eyes, right? Sure you do.

 

The butler had managed to get a nod from the prince.

 

„OK, then. Good for you. - Have you told her yet... that you like her?“

 

Now JR eyes spoke of a child who is afraid of heights but he didn't know that until he had climbed up to that tall tree in the backyard and is now crying for his daddy to bring him down again. So this time the prince shook his head.

 

„Butler Kris to the rescue!“ Kris joked throwing his fist into the air, „Seriously, I can't imagine you as a King if you can't even confess to a girl.“ he finished putting his arm around JR shoulders and shaking some sense into the boy.

 

„But we met only five weeks ago...“ he muttered being squished against the older male.

 

„Goddness gracious! You're coming with me!“ Kris got all fired up.

 

As Kris had never really showed that much playfulness around others – except Tao – JR was quite confused. Has somebody taken over Kris's mind and soul? He acts like he's retarded...

 

Kris wasn't retarded, he was just happy. With all the troubles he had had lately it was quite nice to hear utterly lovely news like this. Even he himself didn't quite understand why he felt so cloud-nine but he decided to go with it and enjoy it as long or as short as it lasted.

 

The butler wanted to inform Baekho, Minhyun, and Ren, too, but JR told him not to. Just in case... The three had been scolded numerous of times by the councilmen for wasting too much of the prince's precious – actually unbelievably boring – time already. JR's dear friends didn't need another reason to be seen with him and to tell the truth JR didn't have the courage to even tell them. He wanted to be a lonely wolf on this one.

 

***

 

The very next day after Kris and JR's little chat the latter asked his soon-to-be girlfriend that  wouldn't it be better if they meet only late at night.

 

„I was planning to ask you this myself actually.“ Lia got pleasantly surprised when JR asked this first.

 

„Oh, then you're OK with it?“ JR rubbed the back of his head nervously.

 

„Uhuh.“ the girl nodded and then motioned JR to come closer, then she whispered into his ear: „Then you can come without your mask and I can see your smile.“

 

JR took a step back staring at the girl, eyes as big as full moons. It was a good thing the mask covered his cheeks because they were flaming red. But well, the rest of his face was equally as red so... Lia had to bit her lip not to let out any giggles or any sounds for that matter.

 

The city's big clock's strikes echoed through the streets. Three times it .

 

Lia's eyes got bigger. „Ah! It's three already?! Oh, no. My brother is going to kill me.“

 

„Is your brother that of a control-freak?“ JR raised his brows. No wonder she didn't want to tell him... It's getting kind of hot here...Of course, JR, you're still blushing.

 

„Oh, no.... nah. He just worries a lot, that's all.“ Lia shrugged, „He's actually a sweet guy.“

 

„That's good then.“

 

„But I really have to go now,“ Lia said and gave a quick hug to JR and then took off, „bye!“ What on earth did I just do? He's the freakin' handsome prince of our Kingdom! There are hordes of girls who would kill for a hug... I just hugged him! Kyaa-aa! Now I have to make sure my lovely brother won't see me like this... Red-red-red. Huu-huu.

 

JR was left behind, bewildered. What was this?... Nice perfume she's got... She-she... she hugged me... no nice... The boy slowly walked back to his horse at the same time smiling like an idiot – glad, no one saw.

 

When JR was on Fiesta's back he hugged his beast. „Fiesta... I'm in love...“ he mumbled into the stallion's mane. Fiesta only shook his head as if laughing at the prince and began walking towards the castle with an awfully love-struck boy on his back.

 

***

 

After some midnight meetings JR plucked up his courage to tell Lia how he really felt, though it was quite obvious already. But hey! Once they openly confess to each other it would make their bond even stronger! At least that's what Kris, who had heard it from Suho, who had heard it from his mother, who had heard it from her grandparents and so on, said.

 

Kris had to give a pep talk to JR to make the boy believe that he can pull this off. JR really wanted to tell Lia but when the opportunity came he got cold feet. He had been pondering like this for a week now and it was starting to show.

 

He had gotten nervous and he was often found aimlessly walking around the castle of any of the gardens just looking at something or nothing deep in thought. When he was asked what was wrong he simply said that he has a lot on his mind and it will be fine soon.

 

Seems that everything will be fine after this night.

 

***

 

JR had come early for today's meeting - the word 'date' would be more exact, though. Because he had to wait for the girl for the next half an hour he thought he'll go over the things he had planned to say to her one more time. JR had hoped that it'll help him calm down but instead it made him even more nervous than he had been before.

 

When he saw Lia approach his heart sped up again. The girl, in the other hand, didn't know what was going to happen tonight so she seemed to be quite calm.

 

„H-Hi.“ JR stuttered and smiled, he hoped that he looked normal while doing so.

 

„Hey.“ Lia smiled back.

 

Seeing the girl's smile peace rushed over the boy. For a moment he forgot himself and stared at the girl with dreamy eyes.

 

„JR? Is everything OK? You're creeping me out.“ Lia tried to make herself small.

 

The prince blinked a couple of times, being broken out from his daze. „Huh?“

 

„You were staring...“

 

„No, I wasn't.“ JR acted innocent.

 

„Says the guy who was just staring,“ Lia said with a clever face and crunched nose – a sight JR found adorable.

 

The prince smiled and flicked the girl's nose. „OK. But for your notice I wasn't staring I was admiring.“

 

„You-you were?“ Lia bit her lip as her cheeks heated up, „What-... were... you admiring?“ she asked trying to pull off a smile somehow.

 

„Pfft. And you're even asking?!“ JR raised his brows, „Well, let's see...,“ the boy started putting his arm around the girl's waist and making her walk with him, „there are your eyes I like,... your lips,... your nose,...“ the boy brought out only a few things he found pretty about the girl.

 

„Oh, stop it! You're making me blush.“ Lia giggled and hid her face.

 

„But you're already blushing...“

 

The two turned behind the corner.

 

„Wait a minute! Where's Fiesta?“ Lia noticed the absence of her favourite horse. Usually JR had left the beast behind this corner to wait for the couple but this time...

 

„I didn't come with him. I felt like walking today. Besides you're not that far from the castle.“

 

„I guess so...“ What is he up to? Is he-... Lia! Don't get your hopes up. But he has shown it... so many times. Let's just see how this night goes...

 

„Lia? Is everything alright?“ JR woke the girl from her thoughts, „You seem sad.“ Maybe her brother?

 

„Do I? Ah, no. Nothing's wrong. I just have a lot on my mind, that's all.“ Lia smiled. Actually... Do you or do you not?

 

„That's a relief.“ JR sighed happily.

 

„Where... are we going... JR?“ the Lia changed the subject.

 

„Oh, right. Erm... I can't tell you,“ JR glanced at the girl, „but I'm pretty sure you'll like it.“

 

„Okay...“

***

 

And what was is that JR wanted to show to the girl? Only he and Kris knew that. Knowing the royal butler it was going to be awesome. Maybe not something incredible and big but simple and still breath-taking.

 

„Close your eyes.“

 

The girl felt shivers run down her spine because the boy's hot breath tickled her skin.

 

O-OK.“ she stuttered and fulfilled the boy's request.

 

She closed her eyes and bit on her bottom lip. She looked like a little few years old girl who was waiting for something big to happen and was trying really hard not to peek. To JR it seemed more like she was scared. To be honest maybe she was. She had no idea if the butterflies in her stomach were flying because of excitement or because of fear.

 

„Don't worry I won't hurt you.“ JR assured the girl.

 

Lia smiled. „I know you won't.“

 

***

 

„Just few more steps and we will be there.“

 

Lia felt that the cobblestone road underneath her got replaced by gravel-road. She heard that JR opened a gate. They were going to a garden? But she knows this place and this part of the city like the back of her hand! Is there a garden she didn't know about?

 

„You may open your eyes now.“

 

And Lia did. The sight she was presented to really took her breath away! But it wasn't something that special... In her eyes it was.

 

Lia was right: JR did bring her to a small garden and yes, she didn't have a clue that it had been here all this time. A beautiful Japanese style garden with it's own little creek and bridge, and two cherry trees gracefully leaning over the garden with their top branches touching. This tiny oasis of peace had been hidden from her eyes all this time! And that was quite understandable because the houses and the high fence kept it away from curious eyes.

 

The lanterns and candles made this place look so warm, so peaceful, so magical. The little creek was singing its own little happy song. The small white table and chairs in the middle of it all fit into the scenery perfectly. Lia was mesmerized. She just stood there and marveled the sight. She felt secure once again after a long time.

 

„Do you like it.“ JR asked hugging the girl from behind and peeking over her shoulder to see her face.

 

Lia nodded drawing in a breath.

 

JR let her go so she could take a better look around the place. The girl took a few steps forward and smiled wide.

 

„How did you find this place? It's so beautiful!“ the girl exclaimed.

 

„I didn't find it. It's Suho's parents'. They told me I could bring you here to-...“ JR cut himself off. I'm not ready! I can't just-

 

Here to...? What?Lia raised her brows and turned her head to motion the boy that she was one big ear at the moment. Is he really? Calm down, heart. You're going to pop out of my chest if you go on like this.

 

JR felt how he began to heat up and smiled awkwardly.

 

To... to... umm...JR searched for words. Actually his plan was to change the subject but his thoughts were a mess, a one big messy page of nonsense rhymes.

 

Would you youngsters like a cup of tea?Mrs. Kim's voice could be heard in the garden all of a sudden. She was standing at the back door.

 

Just what the doctor ordered! I'm saved! JR sighed.Yes, please!he answered.

 

It'll just take a minute. I'll be right back.the lady said and disappeared from the sight.

 

So, Jonghyun, did you tell her yet?Mr. Kim appeared at the door now.

 

JR froze. What are you doing?!

 

Tell me what?Lia got curious.

 

I think it's better if Jonghyun tells you himself.the man said and nodded towards the boy, then took his leave.

 

JR bowed to the man. So I guess there's no way out now...

 

Lia bit her lip and observed every little move the boy made. She looked how his expression changed, how he seemed to debate with himself, and how he seemed to have made up his mind because he sort of smiled in the end.

 

The prince didn't think about anything anymore.

 

Odelia, I like you... a lot. But I'm pretty sure I'm even in love with you. I love you, Lia.he blurted out the things he wanted to say a long time ago. A weight was lifted off his chest. It came out easier than I had thought. ...This kinda... feels good.

 

Lia, in the other hand, had a bunch of thoughts running through her tiny head. How was she supposed to act now? No one had never confessed to her! Her brother has told her that he loves her... but that's not the same thing! What now?!

 

Lia?JR got worried when the girl didn't respond in any way. The girl just stood there and looked at nothing. At least now she blinked a couple of times and looked up at the boy. Their eyes met.

 

Lia smiled and squealed. I hope this is how it's done... I don't care! He's mine! She run to JR and pretty much jumped on him. Thanks to JR's quick reflexes he managed to catch her on time.

 

So does that mean you like me, too?JR laughed.

 

Like? I love you, you silly!

 

Was it just this moment or did the candles shine a bit brighter now?

 

The couple in the garden got lost in each other's eyes. JR slowly put Lia down so she could stand on her two wobbly feet.
 

Mr. and Mrs. Kim looked this lovely scene unfold before them from behind the door.

 

This is so sweet!the lady giggled like she was a little girl again.

 

Like us... Let's go and give them some privacy.the man chuckled putting his arms around his wife and leading her away.


 

Then JR leaned in and in a second Lia felt his lips meet hers sending her heart flutter in a rapid speed. Right now she felt like she could fly. For her with JR everything was possible.

 

 


Thank you for being with me this far!