It won't ask...

Royal Lovestory

 

One and a half years ago:

 

The weather wasn't the best today but JR was still on his horse and rode next to the carriage in which his parents were.

 

As Aron's actions had sowed fear amongst the Royal family the King and the Queen decided – with a little help from Lucras – to leave the castle and the Kingdom in the name of their lives. JR, as we know, didn't leave but he did send his parents to the border of the city. So this is what he was doing at the moment.

 

„Darling, are you sure you'll be alright?“ JR's mother asked him looking at the boy from the carriage.

 

„Yes, mum, I've told you that a million times already. Don't worry.“

 

„That's right, honey. He'll have the whole army and his friends.“ JR's father laughed.

 

JR peeked into the cabin and smiled. „See, mum.“

 

„Alright-alright. Just please, Jonghyun, tell me you're not going to do something dangerous.“

 

„I promise, mum. - See. Hand on my heart.“

 

The small party had reached to the border of the city and had come to a halt by the gates.

 

„Well, I guess this is where we say our goodbyes now.“ JR said looking into the distance. I really hate goodbyes... and I have no friggin' idea when I'll see them again.

 

„Son, come here. Come off your horse. Your mother wants to hug you anyway.“ JR called the boy.

 

JR quickly obeyed his father and hopped off his horse. He went up to the carriage and stepped inside.

 

„What do you need me for?“

 

„Give me your hand,“ the King asked his son who did exactly as he was told, „Here. Take this.“

 

„Your  seal-ring. Dad, I can't take this.“ JR got surprised and tried to hand the present back to his father.

 

His father pushed his son's hand back. „No. You'll take this and use this. When we're gone you'll be the King. You're old enough to have this responsibility. I know you'll do the right thing.“

 

JR swallowed looking at the ring. He felt nervous and a bit scared – now it was up to him how this Kingdom ends up to be.

„I will.“ the boy nodded and put the seal-ring on his finger.

 

JR's mother was on the verge of tears – her little son was growing up and now he was made the King. „Oh, my baby...“ she hugged JR tightly.

 

Though JR never said no to his mother's hugs, this one was a bit too tight. „Mum, mum~! You're suffocating me!“

 

„OK now, honey. That's enough. It's not like we're going to depart for forever.“ JR's father laughed.

 

„I know. But his our son...“ the Queen said wiping a tear from her cheek.

 

„Mum, I'll be fine. OK?“ JR said holding his mother by her shoulders and looking right into her eyes.

 

JR then stepped out of the carriage. He turned around one last time only to see his mother holding a tissue in front of actually crying this time and nodding in response to JR.

 

When the carriage started moving JR waived after it. „Bye~!“

 

Though the boy smiled his heart ached. He was alone now, his parents couldn't be there to support him if he needed them. He had to rely on his friends... Friends! That's right! But they weren't just friends, they were his family, his brothers... and sisters!

 

This last thought made him smirk. He looked at the ring around his finger. This is it! Now it's my time to act. Putting on his mask which covered the lower half of his face he began his journey home.

 

***

 

JR didn't go straight back to the castle. Instead, he took his time and rode slowly down the lively main street. The street was full of shops, cafes, and restaurants. People were calling the passer-byes to eat a bagel, have a cup of tea, or buy a little gift to family or friends.

 

He felt a bit bitter looking at all of this. People here were happy, but in the other parts of the city things were the very opposite of this sight. There the people were struggling to keep their heads above water, to keep food on their tables. But  knowing that now JR had the power he needed to make a difference the bitterness turned into determination.

 

***

 

As the prince was riding down the main street he had an idea to turn into some alleyway to get away from this chatter and clatter. A nice alley leading up onto the next street was up ahead on his left so he turned his horse that way.

 

He wasn't really paying any attention to his surroundings but he did hear that someone was calling somebody.

 

„Young man! - Young man, on the black stallion! - Young man!“

 

Wait a minute! I'm riding a black stallion...

 

JR turned his head to the direction from where he thought the yelling had come. And yes, there stood and old man waiving, supposedly, at him. The prince looked around just to be completely sure. He was the only one on the short alley so there was no doubt that he was the one being called.

 

The prince turned back and stopped his horse near the man. He came off his horse and stepped closer.

 

„How may I help you, sir?“ he bowed to the man. A random guy calls me up... He seems suspicious.

 

The man also bowed, then looked around and scurried quite close to JR. He yanked his beard and it came out to be a fake one.

 

„Don't worry, JR,“ he winked at the boy, „I know who you are and I'm on your side.“

 

JR narrowed his eyes. „How do I know that?“ I'm still not believeing you...

 

„Pfft. Just as Kris had said: you're a hard one to persuade. It's a good quality for our new King.“ the man smiled under his beard.

 

Kris knows him? Then I guess... „OK, let's say I believe you. What do you need?“ JR went on but spoke in a more friendly way.

 

„Nothing much. I have some new spices D.O ordered from me. If you could be so nice and take them to him?“ the man said and handed a package to JR.

 

„I can do that,“ JR nodded taking the package and looked back at the man, „What's your name by the way?“

 

„Seungri.“

 

JR nodded and continued: „Do you live here? I mean: if the time comes will you  join us to fight against the Council's army?“

 

„Sure. I have my friends in the other kingdoms noticed, too. We'll be there.“ Seungri assured.

 

„Very good. - I'll go then.“ JR said going back to his horse.

 

„See you!“ Seungri waived after him.

 

JR waived at him, too, turning behind the corner.

 

***

 

It seemed as if someone was directing the things happening to JR today. When he had rode down the other street and went onto another he saw a girl who caught his eye. The girl wasn't wearing anything special or doing anything to draw attention onto her, she was just simply walking but JR still noticed her.

 

JR was a good few meters away from her when the girl bumped into a guy and dropped her basket. Half of the apples in the basket flew out. That most certainly drew attention. The man right away apologized and helped the girl to gather the apples. JR stopped his horse, hopped off, and also picked up some fruits so the mess was cleaned up in no time.

 

„I really am terribly sorry, miss.“ the man apologized one last time.

 

„It's OK. No broken bones. It happens.“ the girl smiled.

 

JR had chills running down his spine all the way to his toes and then he felt his body to heat up as he saw the girl's smile. What is this? Is this... That's just-  And it really can happen this easily? Wow... Mum, Dad, now I totally believe you.

 

„And thank you for your help, young mister.“ the girl turned to JR and dropped a curtsey.

 

JR looked at the girl, blinked a couple of times and stuttered: „Y-you're wel-come.“ And now you think it's the best time to stutter! You're a King for Pete's sake! You're supposed to- Ah, never mind...

 

The prince's horse was a real sweet tooth so it was absolutely normal that the beast stepped closer to the girl and her basket. He sputtered asking for an apple. The girl giggled at the horse's actions.

 

„You haven't changed, Fiesta. Just the sweet tooth you were as a colt, you are now. - Here.“

 

Fiesta munched the apple and stomped his feet to show how happy he was.

 

JR tried to get a grasp of what had just happened. She knows Fiesta?... She knows me! Please don't-

 

„Hey, are you OK there?“ the girl interrupted JR's mental cries.

 

The prince nodded. „I'm fine.“ his throat was dry so he didn't sound like he was fine.

 

The girl leaned closer to the boy and whispered: „Don't worry I'm not going to yell that the prince is here.“

 

„Th-that's good... Thanks.“ JR breathed out. „But how do you know Fiesta?“

 

„My friend's family works at the stables and I help them once in a while. Well, not anymore as things have changed and the Council had made these laws.“ the girl explained.

 

„'Only a background-checked servant with the Council-approved contract may work on the castle grounds.' Yeah, I know. It really. I'd change many laws but I'd need the Council's approval to do that. And you probably know how the Council is.“

 

„Yeah.“ the girl sighed.

 

Fiesta asked for another apple. His wish was granted.

 

„What's your name?“ JR asked. He got tingly again and bit his lip. He took bigger and deeper breaths right now.

 

„Odelia. But you can call me Lia.“ the girl smiled.

 

„Odelia... Lia... what a pretty name.“

 

„You're just saying that.“

 

„No I'm not!“ he said that a tad too loud and people around them looked at them, „Ah! Dammit! Mud pies!“ JR cursed talking quietly again.

 

„Mud pies?“ Lia raised her brow.

 

„Yes. Mud pies. I don't want to cuss around pretty ladies, so I rather make a fool out of myself...“ JR answered, „Do you need a lift?“

 

„Sure, why not. If the prince himself offers, then it's a sin to say no.“ the girl joked. Mud pies? I thought what others told me were just puffed-up stories... but now... He really is just the way they described him to me.

 

And just like that JR seemed to had found himself a lady. The butterflies did began their race in his stomach when Lia held onto his waist so she wouldn't fall off Fiesta. And it seemed to the boy that the girl's heart was beating rather fast against his back.