What am I supposed to do?

Royal Lovestory

 

“Can you remember when you walked down these streets with Aron?” Luhan made an attempt to have a small talk with Sunhi. He also wanted to help Aron to bring Sunhi's memories back.

 

Sunhi sighed. “No, not really. - I mean not at all. I can't even remember how he looks like...”

 

“Then you'll just have to start from the very beginning again, like when you first met.” Luhan said and managed to pull off a smile. I know Aron doesn't like when others pity him, but I really feel sorry for him. They have to start like a fresh couple, but Aron remembers that whole year they were together before... I hope things will work out for both of them.

 

“I guess so... I hope I haven't hurt him too much. I can't imagine how much he must have suffered to see me around and know that I won't recognize him.” Sunhi almost whispered. She had a big heart and when she found out that she had hurt somebody she would feel like she had killed the person, though the other maybe wasn't even that hurt maybe just a bit pissed and sad.

 

Luhan didn't know what to say anymore. Everyone has told her that she'll remember one day but up until now she hasn't. She hasn't even dreamed about that one year she forgot. And just merely saying those old worn out words again won't bring back her memories, instead it will make her feel worse 'cause it's like rubbing it under her nose.

 

The two drove down the streets in silence. Sunhi had a whole hour to think things over.

 

***

 

“OK. I think it's safe now to go to Aron's. -  Are you ready?”

 

“I guess so.” Sunhi nodded. She got really nervous. What will Aron say, what will he do? What will happen? Will she remember or will he remain as a stranger to her forever?

 

They came off the carriage, tied the beasts, and went on foot. It was only one turn around the corner and they will be on the Cher Avenue.

 

Luhan noticed that Sunhi breathed a bit more frequently and took bigger breaths than before.

 

“Just one big breath. - You'll be fine. If he really loves you, he will help you remember.” Luhan encouraged her.

 

After hearing those last words from Luhan Sunhi suddenly stopped walking. She stood there wide-eyed and stared at nothing. Those words sounded so familiar, as if... Did he say those words? No... No, there was something else... I said those, but... Why can't I...

 

“Sunhi, is everything alright?” Luhan got worried.

 

“Those words... that if he loves me, he'll help me remember... I know those words. I said them myself... Before I forgot... - But it doesn't make any sense! Why would I want to forget?” she got frustrated and furrowed her brows.

 

“That is what you have to figure out yourself. Now let's go inside before someone notices us.”

 

Luhan ringed the doorbell.

 

***

 

Everyone in the parlor room stopped talking. They even hold their breath. It was so quiet that one could easily hear a drop of a needle. The nervousness they had been feeling just a bit more than an hour ago was back again and this time it was twice as strong.

 

Odelia stood up. “Get in the study room.” she whispered. Everyone obeyed. The seven stood up and made their way to the room in hope that nothing will happen to them. Their steps were quick but quiet. Thank god the old wooden floor didn't creak this time!

 

“Who is it?” Lia called, trying to sound happy and carefree, but her heart was trembling.

 

“Lia, it's me: Luhan. I'm with Sunhi.” was said from behind the door.

 

“Thank heavens...,” Lia sighed. “Well, come in you two!” she said as she went to the door. Now she really was happy and carefree. A weight was lifted off her heart – the ones behind the door were just friends. There had been enough of Rotten's army around here today, enough of things that smelled of Lucras and his stupid plans. Luhan and Sunhi – it was really a relief to hear that the ones behind the door were just them.

 

The ones in the study room already heard that they were safe and came back to the parlor room one by one. This time their steps were quite heavy and their minds were wandering, being a bit dazed. It's only normal to feel this. They just got saved! No one was after them right now, they could breathe again!

 

“I'm sorry to bring you another mouth to feed, but-” Luhan started. Sunhi frowned a little, but tried to hide it. I know you didn't mean it... but am I a burden?... will Aron think the same?

 

“It's OK. Really. I missed Sunhi. I'm glad you brought her here.” Lia smiled and looked at Sunhi, “Welcome home.”

 

Sunhi smiled and bowed. That was the only thing she could think of doing. Should have she said something, too? Say that: it's nice to see you, too, but you see the thing is that I can't really remember you. Comes out that the memories about Aron weren't the only ones she locked away.

 

“Well, then. I'll better be on my way. You know how things can change in the castle. In one moment you're free the next you're the most wanted in the whole building. - Well then. I'll see you around.” Luhan said and went back to the door. Seeing how Sunhi looked after him – she looked as desperate as a kitten left outside in the rain – he smiled and said: “Don't worry they're not going to eat you. -  Right?”

 

“We won't.” Minhyun laughed.

 

“That's good. - Bye!” Luhan waived one last time from the door and went out.

 

“Bye!” others called after him in unison.

 

Sunhi stood where she was and started to feel a bit awkward already. She didn't know what to say or do. She did know their names and she could call them her acquaintances, but other than that she didn't actually know them at all. She couldn't call them her friends. She knew she had been in this house and yet she didn't know where anything was. It was really frustrating for her.

 

“Is anyone hungry?” Lia averted the focus on something else.

 

Baekho raised his hand. ”ME!...” he then glanced at Chinsun, “I mean:... us.”

 

“Very well then. I'll go prepare something. Sunhi, could you come and help me.” Lia said.

 

“S-sure.” Sunhi managed to pull an answer out from herself. She stepped closer to Lia.

 

“But what about us? Don't you need more help than just one?” JR spoke up. The three other girls nodded agreeing to the thought and the guys also made the same gesture.

 

“I don't think we could all fit in there,” Lia laughed in response, ”besides, I have to first figure out what to make. - I'll let you guys know if I need you. But for now,” Lia looked around, went up to a smaller kind of a cupboard, and opened the doors, “you could spend time playing cards or something.”

 

“Will do.” JR said.

 

Lia and Sunhi went to the kitchen. JR looked after them and when he was sure that they were out from hearing distance he whispered: “Why's Sunhi here? I thought she was just- I hate that 'servant' word!... you know. Erm...”

 

“Another room-maid?” Baekho finished JR's sentence.

 

JR cringed his nose. “Yeah...”

 

Baekho eyed Ren. The latter knew better than anyone else what was going on in Aron's life as the two met, or at least talked, on daily basis.

 

Ren nodded to Baekho and started: “Long story short: Sunhi is Aron's girlfriend. They had known each other and been together for almost a year before she was brought into the castle. We assume that she was brainwashed 'cause she doesn't seem to remember anything about Aron and Lia or even this place. Kris and others also know and we've tried to drop some hints here and there about her past but so far it's been in vain. So now we'll just have to sit and wait and hope that things will turn to normal again.” Things will turn to normal? Yeah right... Like you're the most competent one to say such things. Look at yourself: there is nothing normal about you! Just look! Being the weakling you are!... - I can't turn things back to normal anymore... The time is running out... maybe it already has... what if it's too late already?

 

***

 

Odelia closed the door leaving it open just a little so that Sunhi wouldn't feel intimidated. Lia wanted to have a little quiet moment with Sunhi, others didn't need to hear them. This was going to be her first attempt to make Sunhi remember something – even if only a fraction, only a moment – from her past.

 

Sunhi had stood next to the table, but quite near to the door. Should I step forward? But I'm not... Well, actually I am... but... I don't... remember... and... - here it goes again...

 

“OK, then, Sunhi... what should we make?” Lia asked as she opened the fridge's door and looked inside there. How should I start?

 

“I~ don't know... what do you have there?” Sunhi stuttered. had gotten dry. I could just cry right now...

 

Lia, hearing Sunhi speak in that kind of a wavering manner she just did, turned around and looked at the older girl. Their eyes met and Sunhi looked down right away. She didn't feel like being ready for this, everything had happened too quickly and this moment had come too soon. Sunhi thought she could have at least a day alone with herself before she had to face Aron, Lia, and the others, but now she felt like she was thrown into water in an unknown place and she didn't know how to swim.

 

“Sunhi, what's wrong?” Lia asked as she stepped closer to her.

 

“I'm sorry... I just... I can't remember.” the maiden said softly.

 

“It' OK,” Lia said putting her hands on Sunhi's shoulders, “you will remember us. You just need some time that's all.”

 

Sunhi looked up. She really wanted to believe that. “That's what they all say, but I haven't remembered a thing..., she said with tears welling up in her eyes, “Well, actually... actually I have... but it's nothing much...” she pushed the hope away again.

 

She can't be blamed. How would you feel if you know that you've forgotten the one person, the person who loves you with his whole heart, and now you can't even remember how he really looks like?

 

“See. That's a start. And before you weren't at our place. You have had much more memories here than in that castle... so...” Lia trailed off.

 

“You think... that I could...?” Sunhi raised her head and looked into Lia's eyes with hope rising inside her.

 

“I'm sure of it. You can't erase the memories. The mind isn't like a piece of paper, it's like a rock. Once something is in there it will never go away. You may so-called forget, but the memory is still there. We just have to find a way to get to those memories.” Lia had her pep-talk. She even made herself feel better about the whole situation and she was rather surprised of how well this little speech came out.

 

Sunhi nodded, looking encouraged and determined. She actually was. I will remember! I will!

 

“Very good. Now, let's get to work.”

 

“What will we make?”

 

“Well, come and see what we have.”

 

“Let's see... Ah! I've got an idea.”

 

***

 

The ones in the parlor room had become quiet. Ren was caught up in his thoughts and it made HyunAe worry. The boy seemed to be sad in her eyes – he actually was – and she wanted to see him smile like he always did, but she can't just say that it's going to be OK with whatever's bothering him because she doesn't even know what's it about. So she just stayed silent and let her worries eat her up on the inside. You're just like my dad... he rarely shares his worries with others. Only if asked he'll open up... and now you're probably going to keep this to yourself and it will burn you up, but you don't want to trouble me, right? You haven't really told me about what troubles you... but if we want to stay like we are – together – we should tell each other what's on our mind... Are you jealous because of the ball-night? I'm sorry...

 

JR sighed deeply. He even didn't notice it himself, but others  sure did and now they looked at him. JR saw others turn from the corner of his eye – as he was looking at the walls – and got alerted.

 

“What? Is something wrong?” he asked.

 

“You sighed, mate. Pretty deeply by the way. We should ask you the same thing.” Minhyun made his observations clear.

 

“It's about Aron, right?” Haeran asked. That guy's creepy. I can't believe that Kris sent us here... How can he be so sure that this Aron won't attempt something against JR? Killing must come quite easy to him... he is the Night Watchman after all... and based on what I've heard from Minhyun.

 

JR sighed again and realizing his actions he smiled to himself – he found this funny. “Yeah... I was just thinking that... it's probably why Aron was acting this way... It must hurt him so bad, I know it would hurt me...,“ he frowned. He really did feel sorry for Aron and it made the other seem less intimidating for him. Love hurts the most and he can't be angry at the other for that. It would hurt me if Lia... And over a year? That's... that's just... I can't imagine how hard it must have been for him. But when he found out that Lia and me... the look in his eyes... and he's supposed to be Lia's brother but they're so different, total opposites...

 

JR then had a little moment for realization: “Do you think he's jealous of Lia and me? And that's why he got so worked up?”

 

Minhyun, Baekho, and Ren – all had surprised faces on. They never thought that Aron's actions could be related to that, they thought it was merely because the Watchman hated royalties and had got hurt too many times on the matters regarding the Royal family. JR's thoughts were totally new to them. Why didn't they ever come up with this by themselves?

 

“I don't know... We never thought of it this way. We thought it was just because he didn't like you due to your origin...” Minhyun tried to say something logical-sounding in response.

 

“That's sounds logical and I totally agree to that... - I don't know... It was just a thought. I was trying to find an excuse for him.” JR said with and attempt of a smile on his lips. I just have to pluck up my courage and talk to him... somehow...It can't be worse than... war. He felt chills run down his spine. He may have seemed to be tough in certain situations before but, to tell the truth, he was afraid. Afraid of failure, he was afraid he'll lead everyone to death if... I'm supposed to lead the troops and the battle... I'm not ready for this... but now... The time for it... it's going to be here in a few days probably... I'm not ready! It feels like as if I'm supposed to walk on a rope, which is stretched over the city, even though I can't even balance myself enough to stand on a chair! - I can't... - But maybe... if Kris and Tao will be beside me and anyone else who knows more about war and such things... I may even come through this... And it's not even a real war for Pete's sake!

 

The  kitchen's door opened. Lia came into view with a tray full on sandwiches in her hands.

 

“Hey, guys. The dish we're preparing will take some time and as I know you haven't had your breakfast... - Here. Eat and enjoy.” she said and placed the tray on the table.

 

“And here's something to wash it all down with.” Sunhi said and put the glasses and a huge jug full of lemonade next to the tray.

 

“Thank you, ladies.” Baekho cheered and poured out the drinks.

 

Chinsun looked at her teddy bear...one big teddy bear. He really isn't what he may seem based on the first impression. He's absolutely adorable... and well mannered. - But why Kris looked at Baekho that kind of... kind of... - how should I put it? Sad and... gosh... - something didn't feel right, but I can't put my finger on it- “Thank you.” she said taking her drink from Baekho. And he probably has no idea... What if he... No. I shouldn't think about these kinds of things. My head begins to ache if I think too muck... and here it comes. Great.

 

“These sandwiches look so pretty I can't find a heart to eat them.” Haeran said looking at the snacks. She was right. The sandwiches looked like they were prepared by a professional cook.  A little bit this and a little bit that. They looked more mini flower bouquets rather than simple food. It's amazing how someone can make everyday meal look special like this.

 

Minhyun found Haeran's comment cute and a bit funny. He silently laughed to himself, “Let me help you with that problem” he said and picked up the first sandwich he could reach to. He then turned to Haeran and took a bite from the snack.

 

Haeran's eyes widened – Minhyun knew she was just acting – and she faked her shock: “You just ate that pretty flower!”

 

“Unbelievably delicious flower by the way.” the boy commented talking with his mouth full.

 

Others responded with a laugh.

 

 


I couldn't had just left you without an update... :)