Open your eyes

Noona in Charge

Nicky and Leeteuk arrived at her aunt’s house to rest. The hours of flight and the huge time difference were taking effect on them. As soon as they entered Leeteuk noticed the photographs around the house.  Nicky was in most of them, as a baby, as a grade school student, graduations. He then stopped in front of one that caught his eyes; it was Nicky with who he understood were her parents.

“I’ll order some food so, make yourself at home” she said putting her bag down. She looked up and noticed Leeteuk was staring at a picture. “You cannot tell the others about those pictures” she added.

Leeteuk looked at her laughing “Wae?” he asked “Because! I look like a nerd” she said moving to the kitchen. “This your ………parents?” Leeteuk asked holding out one of the pictures. Nicky moved next to him looking at the photo. “Yes……..” she said with a nostalgic tone “My mom and my aunt are twins……..…Her name was Veronica too, they were Vicky and Nicky the terrible twins!” She laugh “ isn’t she beautiful?” she got teary eyed remembering her mom but quickly snapped out of it before Leeteuk notice.

“Ok! Let me show you your room” They walked together to one of the rooms. It used to be Nicky’s room and there were more pictures around. Leeteuk loved looking at them, seeing a younger Nicky was amusing to him.

The food arrived and after eating they went to sleep. Nicky stayed at her aunt’s room and even though she was tired, she couldn’t sleep. She texted  Jung Hoo and he answered back telling her not to worry about work. After a while she managed to fell asleep.

They both woke up the next morning and Nicky prepared pancakes for breakfast.  “Good morning, Teukie” she said placing a plate in the table. He just smile and bowed at her. “Let’s eat so we could go to the hospital again”. They both eat  and talked a little. Her aunt’s best  friend ,Carmen,  came to take them to the hospital.

Once they arrived, the doctor talked to Carmen and Nicky about her aunt’s condition. She was reaching the point of no return; they all new she was dying, it was just a matter of waiting. Nicky entered the hospital room followed closely by Leeteuk. He didn’t know what was going on but Nicky’s face expression told him that things were not good.

“Tia! I’m here!” she said holding her hand and sitting in the bed. “ Vero! Hi!” her aunt answered, breathing hard.  “Hello Jung-soo” she smiled at Leeteuk and he did the same.

They spend the whole day there, just by her side. She got worse as the day progressed, but remained very calm. “Vero, I want to talk to you” Vicky said breathing hard. “Sure, tia” Nicky said sitting in her bed.  “Sweetie, I’m very proud of you. You’re a strong, smart, independent woman. I want you to keep following your dreams; I want you to find a good man……” her aunt said slightly looking at Leeteuk who was seated nearby. “Tia, please don’t…….” Nicky said

  “Let me finish! I want you to fall in love….give love a chance.  You deserve to be loved, and to give all the love you have inside. Don’t be afraid to open up to someone…just be yourself” her aunt added. “Promise me you will follow your heart. Promise me you will let love find your way, that you will not run away from it, ok?”

Tia, let’s not…….”Nicky hesitated  “Promise me!” her aunt interrupted.  “I will, I promise” Nicky added   “Good; I’ll be at peace now” aunt Vicky said.  Nicky just looked at her, half smiling. She was trying hard not to be sad, but she could feel the tears building up. “I’m gonna…go to the bathroom…outside, ok?” Nicky said not looking at anybody. Leeteuk noticed and stood up after her, but she asked him to stay. “Please, stay with her. Ok?” Nicky asked him.  “Ok”

“Jung-Soo, can you come here please?” aunt Vicky asked, motioning her hands so he would come closer. “yes” he said moving closer to her. “Sweetie, I’m not even sure if you will understand me but,  I need you to take care of my Veronica. She’s a strong woman but sometimes she won’t accept that she needs help. Just make sure she’s not always alone, ok?” she asked looking at him, trying to figure out if he understood. “Ok, I will do Tia Vicky” he answered with a half smile.

“My goodness, you’re really gorgeous. I really hope my Vero can open her eyes” aunt Vicky added, but in Spanish so Leeteuk didn’t understand.