How The Other Side Lives

Can't You Realize That I Love You?

I looked around for the car that usually comes to get me and wondered why it wasn’t here yet. I had barely been able to get away and from the annoying questions all the way to the even more annoying comments on how I was better off now that I was with someone else instead of Daehyun, I was exhausted and I really needed to get home. Not to mention that the backpack on my back was overflowing with books and stupid homework. I was not in the mood today.

Ok, this was strange, in all my life I had never remembered the car being late and now? Why of all days today? It was just luck that everyone was preoccupied with getting home too that I only got a few wondering stares. Of course, who wouldn’t stare at the girl whose engagement party is the following night? It wasn’t like their parents weren’t all invited.

“Hyerim!” A female voice called behind me and I clutched onto the strap of my backpack and searched harder, pretending I hadn’t heard anything.

“Oh I’m so glad I caught you! I’ve been meaning to congratulate you I can’t believe you’re getting married so early! Wow… truly befitting of the heir to the business empire your mother created!” Min Young gushed as a couple of girls behind her nodded eagerly and I pasted a smile on my face.

“Thank you, yeah I’m… very excited” I lied uncomfortably.

“To tell you the truth a few of the girls were getting worried about you” She whispered.

“Worried? Why?” I asked in confusion.

“Well you know… because you were getting so close to that scholarship boy. I mean there were even rumors coming up!” She said scandalously and I fought the urge to slap some sense into her shallow mind.

“That scholarship boy has a name” I said through my fake smile.

“Yes, but no one cares” She replied casually and I scoffed.

“No one cares? He was smarter than any other student here, there’s a reason he was ranked first in his class and you know what? I bet he was also a better person than anyone here” I replied trying to seem casual but failing miserably.

“Did you like him?” She asked suddenly, the promise of gossip making her eyes glimmer.

A force suddenly pulled my eyes away from her and I looked behind her only to see Kai standing behind her. His hands were shoved in his pockets, he wore the uniform from his school, and had a curious eyebrow raised.

“What are you doing here?” I asked a bit colder than I intended.

“I had to come out and get you. The car is over there and you didn’t see it” He replied casually and my gaze flickered to Min Young and her friends who were staring at Kai curiously, some smiling and blushing as if they were all just enchanted by him. If they only knew what he was really like.

“Is this your—“ Min Young began before I cut her off.

“Fine let’s go. See you in school later” I said to Min Young grabbing Kai’s sleeve roughly and yanking him along quickly while keeping my head down hoping no one paid attention to us.

I quickly got into the car he pointed out and waited impatiently as he took his time getting in.

“Who were you guys talking about?” He asked, looking the other way.

“No one” I snapped, “Wait, why are you here?”

He made a face as if just remembering the reason he was here and groaned.

“I’m here to take you home with us. Don’t you remember what our parents were talking about yesterday?” He said annoyed.

“What? That moving in thing? That’s impossible I only just left my room 9 hrs ago for school!” I said as I shifted in my seat to look at him.

“Well apparently they put a super moving crew and they moved all your stuff into my house in 9 freaking hours” Kai answered as he pulled out his phone and texted someone, or at least pretended so that I wouldn’t say anything to him probably.

I sat back and contemplated pulling the door open and jumping out, but with my luck I would only end up with bloody cuts and still end up being dragged over to his house. Instead I just sank into my seat and stared out my window as an uncomfortable silence surrounded us in the car. In a way, I got a little excited as I saw the car pull into this small residential area. Not because of Kai, but because I was truly curious of how they lived.  

The houses in this area were still high class, but they were just so much smaller compared to the one I lived in. They were still gated, but I noticed that they lost most of the space in the fact that they didn’t have much of garden space. I sighed, that was the only part that I would actually miss about my house, the garden.

“What? Too low class for a lady like you?” Kai asked snidely.

“What? No, that wasn’t… I wasn’t sighing about that. I don’t care about that” I defended.

“Sure you don’t” He said in a tone of disbelief.

I clenched my jaw and went back to looking out the window as we pulled in to his house. His parents were waiting by the front door and I felt a smile come onto my face. They had their own nervous smiles, but for the most part looked excited and that at least eased my heart a little. I suddenly looked at Kai only to catch him staring at me with a weird expression on his face.

“Do they always greet you here when you get home?” I asked ignoring the look.

“…Yeah usually not right outside, but yeah one of them always make a point of being there” He mumbled as he looked out at his parents and shoved his phone in his pocket.

I felt a small sense of longing as the car pulled to a stop and Kai climbed out quickly, his mother rushing over and smiling up at him with such a warm and caring smile that I was baffled for a second. So this was what mothers were like for other people. Suddenly, I wanted to leave. It hurt a lot more to know what you were missing out on than pretending it never existed.

“Are you coming out or are you just gonna sleep there?” Kai asked as he popped his head back in, an exasperated look on his face.

“Uh… hello” I said awkwardly as I got out and walked up to them, bowing deeply in the process, “Thank you for welcoming me into your home” I said politely.

“Oh no problem! We’ll be family soon either way!” She said happily and I blinked in surprise, was this not just supposed to be a business deal for them too?, “Come this way I want to give you a tour of the house and show you your new room honey!”

I got the grand tour of the house that I was actually beginning to warm up to. It was smaller, but I could feel the memories in it. It felt like a home.

“Ok, don’t be mad. I know your old room was bare, no real decorations and I thought it might be a nice surprise to have it painted and decorated. If you don’t like it you can tell me, but um… here why don’t you just take a look?” She said excitedly as she pushed open the door and lead me into the most beautiful room I had ever seen in my life. It was painted a light purple color and had the most amazing decorations ever.

“I-it’s amazing!” I said happily, unable to keep a big smile from my face.

“Oh Chang Sun! I told you she’d like it!” She yelled excitedly as I looked around, placing my backpack at the foot of my brand new bed.

My clothes were even organized in my closet and drawers already I noticed happily as Kai’s dad walked in with a content smile on his face.

Dinner that night wasn’t uncomfortable, well only if I pretended Kai wasn’t there which he was more than happy to also do. Instead I focused on his parents which I was beginning to realize were the nicest people on earth. They treated me so kindly, that I couldn’t help, but stop thinking about my problems and just enjoy the conversation. Especially his mom.

I was in my pajamas when she walked in holding a small frame. She waved and took a seat on my bed, waving me over and I followed, my long hair trailing behind me.

“I didn’t want to spoil the surprise, but tomorrow at your engagement party, well do you the ring in this photograph?” She pointed out in a whisper.

“Wow, it’s amazing” I said in awe.

“Yes, well that’s the ring Kai is going to present you. It was his grandmother’s and we figure who better to have it than his wife! I’ve been really excited about this and gosh, I just… I’m bad at keeping secrets” She gushed.

“That’s so important… are you sure you want to give it to me… I mean this is an arranged marriage and—“ I began nervously.

“Stop. You seem like a nice girl. Regardless whether arranged or not, you are coming into our family and it’s only right you’re treated like it. Get some sleep honey. Tomorrow is a big day” She said a warm smile on her face as she patted my arm and walked out.

How did two increadibly nice people have such a jerk for a son? The answer baffled me, but at least I fell asleep thinking about that instead of reminding myself of Daehyun.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

A/N: I wrote a lot. A LOT. lol I really hate the heat waves lately (wayyy to hot) so I've just been hanging out in my house and writing at random times and suddenly I ended up witha ton of pages which is good because it lets me update a lot more often too! ^^

Thanks to everyone that subscribed and to everyone that's commenting! :)