All Cards On The Table

Can't You Realize That I Love You?

 

There’s a moment where you wonder how your mother could have ever given birth to you. It’s probably mostly because of a silly fight or because she seems so different from you, but lately I’ve noticed that the thought seems to run indefinitely through my mind. Seeing her cold and blank expression as I walked in with Kai reminded me of that. The only gift my father had left me was that at the very least, I had inherited most of his genes and almost none of hers. Aside from some physical similarities, we were nothing alike and I was thankful for that. I would hate to live in the center of that ruthless world she creates for everyone around her.

I had a bad feeling as soon as we walked in. There was no attempt at fake apology or even shame reflected in her eyes. This was the real her, out for no one but herself.

“Mom” I began, cutting Kai off before he could say anything more. We had been arguing with her for the past 20 minutes and I was suspicious enough that she hadn’t called her security to kick us out yet, “I know this won’t do much to change to your mind, but please we came to ask you to give back their company. Just this once, can’t you walk away?”

“It’s already done. I don’t understand you Hyerim, I’m trying to keep my end of the deal and once you get divorced then I get my part and you get yours too” She said

“Mom please…” I pleaded, knowing exactly where she was going with this.

She knew I wouldn’t agree to a divorce that’s why she was going to drag it out of us. I tried to push away the sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach and wanted to pull Kai away. As I looked at the confused expression on his face, I realized that he wouldn’t let this go either.

“I’ll give you this though, for someone who knows my daughter is in love with another man, you don’t seem affected at all” She said coldly.

“That’s not true. Not anymore anyways. Mom, I love Kai. I’m serious” I added looking at her with pleading eyes. She must be able to tell… she had to see how much he meant to me.

“Hyerim you can stop with the lies now. Like we agreed, all this was so you could be with Daehyun” She said with fake understanding. I could see the glint of triumph in her eyes.

“I agreed to marry him! I never agreed to you taking everything from them! You never even brought it up with me!” I yelled finally taking enough of her attacks and sitting up angrily.

“What is she talking about?” Kai asked as he stood up slowly, a frown on his face.

“N-nothing! I t was something stupid. She never asked—”

“What are you talking about?” He repeated, this time directing the question at my mom.

I looked over at her nervously. Her eyes met mine for a second. She could see the desperation in my eyes and she lingered a split second before she turned back to Kai.

“Didn’t she tell you? If she helped me, I promised to fully support her relationship with her boyfriend Daehyun”

Kai stared at her and slowly turned to stare at me. The look of disappointment on his face broke my heart and I bit my lip guiltily. I placed a hand on his arm and he shook me away, the disappointment giving way to anger and resentment aimed at me.

“Was everything a lie then?” He asked fiercely, his brown eyes staring icily.

“No! Since the beginning, at least about my feelings towards you, I’ve been 100% honest!”

“I couldn’t have done this if she hadn’t signed over her control of the company shares she gained when you two got married…” She cut in and we both turned to her.

“You signed over your shares… Of course that’s how your mother did this all so easily. You ruined my family for that man… Was it fun to make me think we were in love?”

“That’s not what happened!” I said loudly, watching him nervously as he turned and walked away from me. His jaw clenched tightly as he shot me angry glares, “When she gave me that paper to sign it was right after we got married. At that point you know that we had no feelings for each other!”

“Damn it… and you had us come down here even though you knew it was your fault?! Didn’t you think about being honest at least before we got here?!” He shouted. He stared at her with hatred and turned to me with an even worse look in his eyes.

Without bothering to give me a chance to say another word he walked out of her study. I turned back to her, my throat tight and my mind trying to figure out what to do. She had at least the decency to look away as she uncrossed her arms and let them hang at her sides. I opened my mouth to say something, but decided instead to go after Kai. I ran down the stairs behind him.

“I didn’t know she would do this” I called out as I ran after him.

“You know your mother better than anyone else, you must’ve at least had a guess and you ignored it” He snapped without looking back.

“Yeah I guess I did, but with everything that’s happened can you blame me if I didn’t think about her? Half of the time I just want to forget I’m her daughter! I can fix this though!”

“No you can’t”

“Stop! Just stop for a second!” I yelled as I finally got to the foot of the stairs, “Don’t leave… please… you have to believe me I didn’t know how far she would go. I honestly thought if she knew how much I loved you she would give it all back!”

“How am I seriously supposed to believe you when just a few days ago I saw it myself how much you loved him?” He accused.

“It’s not like that! Not anymore!”

“Can you really blame me when I tell you I don’t believe a word you’re saying?” He said quietly.

“I made that deal with her when I barely knew you. I had no clue that things would change between us like this, but they did. Despite what she says you can’t really think everything was fake” I tenuously said, “

“You know what? I’m sick of being played by people I love. First Da Hae and now I find out you’re the same? Ha. I must look like an idiot” He said as he kept going and slammed the front door behind him.

I gripped the rail of the stairs tightly and stared at the spot where he was just standing. I shut my eyes and tried to wake myself up, this had to be a nightmare right? Tears slid down and I brushed them away angrily as I turned and ran back up the stairs.

“How could you do this?!” I screamed as I walked back into her study.

“You agreed to this” She shot back as if that gave her the power to ruin my life all over again.

“Was forcing me apart from Daehyun not enough for you? Now that I found someone else you had to break that all apart too?!”

“There was a reason I agreed to the Daehyun part. Don’t blame me if you couldn’t control yourself and your feelings weren’t as strong as you thought” She snapped, her temper running thin.

“Who I love should be up to me. It’s not something you can control” I said through gritted teeth.

“After you get divorced you’ll get over this fast. I can send you abroad to study or—“ She began, calming herself down and staring at me with deceivingly warm eyes.

I recognized them from before. They were false.

“I… I mean this. I never ever want to see you again. You’re sick mom. There’s something seriously wrong with you” I whispered tearfully, “I don’t know if you hate me or if you’re greed is just this big, but you’re a terrible person…”

“Watch your words. You’re young so you don’t understand” She said coldly.

“I understand how to be a decent human being at least. The only thing that makes people stand you is your money and I don’t want anything more to do with any of this. You’ve done enough damage in my life” I said, forcing my voice to remain strong.

“You can’t live on your own. What will you do for money? I won’t give you a cent” She hissed out.

“I’m not asking for anything. I’m old enough, I’ll find something. I’ll be happy enough being away from you” I said as a tear slipped out and I turned away from her.

I didn’t bother looking back; it was hard enough to walk away without her even calling after me. What did she need me for anyways after this? I took a cab home and I walked in preparing myself for the silence that was in my home. I felt the weak seal on all the emotions wear even thinner as I staggered through the hallway until I reached my room. I glanced at my bed, still messy from when we slept and felt hot tears slide down.

I frowned and tried to keep myself together. This wasn’t the end. There was no way I could let this end like this. I wasn’t going to give him up like this. Despite, what I told myself, a deep corner of my mind told me otherwise and I felt a silent cry escape me. I angrily wiped the tears away and forced myself to take deep breaths.

With shaky hands I opened my bedside drawer and pulled out a small wallet. I dropped it twice before I finally held onto it tightly and looked through the small set of business cards I had carefully placed inside. I pulled out the card of one of my father’s old friends. I hadn’t seen him in years, I didn’t even know if his phone number was the same, but right now he was the only person who knew our company and the law well enough to help me.

I pulled out my phone and dialed the number quickly. It rang three times before I finally got an answer.

"Hello?" The man on the other line spoke.

"Hi this is Park Hyerim. You used to know my father and this must be out of nowhere, but you said if I ever needed some advice..." I trailed off awkwardly.

"Oh Hyerim how have you been? I still remember you from when your dad used to bring you with him! How have you been? Is anything wrong?" He asked worriedly.

"I have a... serious problem involving my mom. I need some help on how to handle this so I can get something important back" I said quietly.

"....I understand. I'll be glad to help you Hyerim. Why don't you come by my office today?"

"I'll be there. Thanks a lot" I said gratefully. 

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Annyeong! I feel like it's been a long time since I've updated! Sorry this update came so late it's a holiday here and lots of family came in from out of town and this is the first night I actually sort of have to myself T^T My family gets complicated especially when they're all under one roof and trying to have a peaceful dinner T___T

But I hope you guys enjoy the update! ^__^