Sign On The Dotted Line

Can't You Realize That I Love You?

 

I waited patiently. Or at least, I tried to be patient as I waited outside Mr. Kim’s office. I had made sure to come out here early and I guess common sense hadn’t followed along as I sat impatiently waiting for the doors to open. I bent my head and stared at the ground, willing minutes to tick by quickly as I stared at a particularly deep crack in the pavement. A single blade of grass was working hard to continue to grow, but it didn’t really look too good for it. I stood there for what must’ve been another hour, contemplating the fate of the single grass blade before I heard approaching footsteps.

“Hyerim? What are you doing here so early? How long have you been waiting?” He asked worriedly, shifting his suitcase to another hand as he placed a friendly hand on my shoulders and guided me to the entrance.

“I haven’t been here long. I actually came to tell you that I… uh… I got all the paperwork. I grabbed everything I could” I said as I pulled a thick envelope from my bag and handed it to him.

“That’s great. I’ll get started on this right away. Why don’t you come up to my office for some coffee. You really do look frozen”

“That’s fine. I should leave you to your work” I said eagerly, “I don’t mean to be rude… but how long do you think it’ll take?”

“Haha, don’t worry about it. I’ll get on this right away. I’d say give me three days before I can finalize all the right property transfers” He said, the corners of his eyes crinkling optimistically.

“Then I’ll get going now! Thank you so much!” I said happily as I bowed down as gratefully as I could.

We said our final goodbyes and I watched him until he went into his office building and disappeared from view. I smiled and got into my car. My hands trembled with excitement and I simply sat there gripping the steering wheel with a happy grin on my face. I sighed, trying to calm my excitement down. These three days were definitely going to be difficult. Just sitting there waiting for a call with news… I shook my head and pulled out my cellphone.

I stared at the screen nervously, my heart pounding loudly in my chest, before I dialed Kai’s cell. I leaned into my seat and waited with no real expectations. Of course he wouldn’t pick up the phone I told myself as it seemed to go on endlessly. Finally his voicemail message came on and I quickly hung up. I comforted myself with the thought that once I fixed this whole company business he would definitely forgive me. He would see that I was honest about my feelings for him. I started the car when my cell phone rang I glanced over to see the screen light up and Kai’s picture come up on the caller ID.

My heart stopped for a second before I quickly snatched the phone up.

“You called back” I said more to myself than him.

“… You’re up early today” He said and the coldness in his tone striked a twinge of uneasiness in my body, “I’d figured you be up late recently”

“What do you mean?” I asked.

“Nothing. What do you want?” He said with a scoff of disbelief.

“Nothing specific… I just… wanted to talk to you and tell you I’m do—“

“I suppose I have to talk to you too. I’m busy until later tonight. I’ll come by after 6. I’m telling you when so I don’t have to catch you unprepared” He said and hung up before letting me respond.

I stared at the phone in silence and tried to figure out what on earth he meant. He sounded angry, but still… he was coming over so that had to be a good sign at least right? I tried to smile, but something didn’t really let me.

It was like this for the rest of the day. I spent the whole day wanting to tell Kai to not come. I had a bad feeling and figured we’d end up fighting anyways. Regardless a little before 6, I spent my time rifling through my closet trying to find something to wear. I told myself to calm down, it was just like any other day, but I was on edge and must’ve changed my outfit around four times.

When the doorbell echoed through the house and I froze.

“You have a key. You don’t need to ring the doorbell to walk into your own house” I said softly as I went over and pulled the door open.

He stood there staring blankly at me. He nodded dismissively as if I was saying nonsense and pushed his way in as he headed to the dining room table where he just took a seat. I stared after him and shut the door before walking over to him. I chose to stay standing as I approached him and we hesitated, not saying a word.

“I’m fixing things” I said suddenly, fidgeting in place and playing with a loose red string on my shirt, “It won’t be long. I found a way to get everything back to normal and the best part is we won’t have to see my mom ever again. I mean it Kai we won’t need her”

“Thanks, but you don’t need to do that. That’s none of my business anymore” He said as he looked away.

“Of course it’s your business. It’s our business” I insisted nervously, fighting the instinct to run away from whatever he had come here to say.

He stood up silently and stepped up to me. He looked down at me with a flicker of warmth in his eyes that flickered away so fast I might have imagined it. His hand went to the back of my head and rather mechanically he pulled me in for a kiss. My eyes burned with held back tears as I gripped the front of his shirt and felt nothing from him. His lips merely grazed mine and froze there. There was no tension between us.

It felt like an act.

“I wonder how you can still want to kiss me even now. Do you really have no shame?” He asked pulling away softly, his hateful eyes freezing me on the spot, “Or do you just really like to play around? I know all about you and Daehyun. How you celebrated with him only a few days after I left!” He said through gritted teeth.

“What are you talking about? I’m trying to fix all this! I didn’t do anything with Daehyun!” I said as his grip loosened and he stepped back.

“Did you call me because you were bored? Should I guess? ” He said with a cruel laugh, “Don’t tell he can’t come over to tonight and you need someone else to—“

My hand shot out before I could stop myself.

Before I could remind myself that he was just being spiteful because he was hurt, before I could even try to understand, the smack echoed as it bounced off the walls around us. My eyes brimmed with tears and his eyes widened as he reeled from the slap.

“… I get it… you’re mad at me, but you don’t have to be this way. You don’t have to come here just to try to humiliate me” I whispered, “I love you, I’m trying to prove it to you”

“Mad? I’m not mad. I’m disgusted that I ever fell into all your lies. I am sorry I had to come here and do this, but all this anger I feel? I heard it’s good to get it all out. I’m done with you” He said through gritted teeth.

“I’m trying to fix all this! I’m trying to make this up to you! She lied! It may have started because of Daehyun, but I chose you! I gave up Daehyun because I fell in love with you!”

“You know you’re pathetic? You’ve got what you wanted, my company now just go be with that guy! There’s no need for you to keep lying!” He said loudly, his eyes filled with anger and outrage.

 “Get out! Just get out before this gets even worse” I screamed, basically pleading.

“Oh trust me. I won’t have any more regrets when it comes to you” He said confidently as he pushed the folder that he had brought inside with him and had placed on the table when he first walked in, “It’s our divorce papers”

I looked up at him and took an instinctive step back. My head shook slowly, tears finally spilling over as I gripped the lower hem of my shirt. I looked into his eyes, finding no trace of pity or even hesitance.

“I’m not signing that” I said stubbornly, my voice shaky.

“Yes you are, because if you don’t I’ll be back and I’ll make you. Do you understand? Even if I have to grip your wrist and force you to sign it myself or we have to take this to court. We’re getting divorced” He said firmly.

“No we’re not” I whispered.

“I’m never going to love you again” He snapped, “We’re done Hyerim, Why can’t you just make this easy for the both of us?!”

“Because this is all a lie!  You love me, you’re furious and you feel betrayed, but I’m not with Daehyun. I’m giving everything up for you! I love you!” I yelled.

“Just sign the papers Hyerim and you know what? When you sign them don’t even bother trying to find out where I’m staying, just mail it to my parent’s house so we never have to see each other again” He said coldly as he turned and left.

I closed my eyes and felt the tears stream down, leaving a hot trail behind. I wiped them away frustrated, but they continued to fall. I sank into the chair he had been sitting at and buried my face into my hands. Everything was falling apart and no matter what I did… it kept being destroyed. I took a shuddering breath and tried to choke back those damn annoying sobs. I was trying to fix it all. Our marriage wasn’t perfect, but it wasn’t like he had been perfect either. After everything we’d been through he was simply giving up.

No, he was completely throwing me away.

I reached out with trembling fingers as I reached for the crispy white papers in that folder and slowly dragged them closer. My vision blurred and I stared at the words that seemed to make no sense in my mind. I felt lost. I knew he had been furious, but a divorce so suddenly? His words echoed in my mind and I couldn’t help it as I went to the last page and looked at the bottom of the page. I cried harder.

His signature was already there.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kai walked out with his head held up high until the door closed behind him. How could she be such a good actress? How could she make it so she looked utterly clueless when he confronted her with the truth? Her tears… when they spilled over he almost broke. He almost lost all the resolve he had spent all night building up. He got into his car and sat there for a second, replaying the hurt in her emotions at all of his words.

He ed the top button of his shirt. He tried to swallow the lump in his throat, but he felt like he was suffocating. His words looked like they had hurt her, but how could they when her feelings for him were lies? The cruel reminder sent a painful shudder through his body. He took deep breaths and finally punched the dashboard of the car so hard his fist shook as his knuckles broke skin and small droplets of blood streamed out. He forcefully unlocked his jaw and drove to the hotel he was staying at.

He had to forget about her. There was no other choice; he needed to get away from her.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Hi~ Sorry for missing updating last week! I felt so bad when I read all the comments you guys left and...wahhh I'm sorry!!! I'm only one week away for winter break though and I had all my hard finals last week so I had no time to write anything. It would've been a bad chapter if I had even tried ;/ 

But thanfkfully, next week is just the easiest finals ever (gym and a few class projects etc) so this won't happen again and then the week after that winter break begins!!!! 

This means two things! First of all, this fanfic is almost done! Only like 5 chapters more at the maximum (most likely 4? They might just be long ones) and I'm planning a bunch of updates this weekend so by next week it's definitely gonna be over! I feel happy, but sad at the same time. The good news? I can start a new fanfic and omg I've had so many ideas lol it's been a torture to not start another one until now lol

Anyways, I apologize again and thanks for leaving all those comments behind! Hopefully you guys can understand (and still leave comments behind) xD

Thanks for reading! and sorry for the long A/N