Secret Deals

Can't You Realize That I Love You?

I stared at our hands as she kept holding mine all the way until we were inside her study and she had shut the doors firmly. She let go then and motioned to the chair across her desk while she poured herself a drink and drank it before going over and sitting behind her desk. She stared at me and sighed deeply before she massaged her temples and stared once again before finally trying to speak.

I sank deeper into the chair and waited for her to say something, but she stayed silent. Suddenly, she put her cup her down and stared at me for what must've been the thirteenth time in the past 5 minutes. It was getting annoying, did she really think I wanted to spend time with her now? After all she was doing to me, did she actually think I wanted to sit here and wait for her to think through whatever torture she had in store for me?

"Do you want to marry him?" She asked bluntly, folding her hands and looking at me expectantly.

"You know the answer to that. Why on earth would that be a yes if you forced me to break up with my boyfriend for this thing!" I answered truthfully, the threat Kai had handed me only minutes ago still fresh in my mind.

"I know we've never been close" My mother began, closing her eyes briefly before continuing, "and you must be angry about the whole Daehyun issue, but trust me when I say it was never my intention to force you into a marriage you did not want"

I stared at her blankly, it was never her intention? Well, this was something new. I blinked and tried to recall a moment in which she had said something like this, because as of right now this moment landed in one of those caring moments she had never really had. She winced, as if my surprise at her words actually hurt her and for once I felt at a loss. I knew how to act with my manipulative and scheming mother. This woman right now? I didn't know her. Was she playing me?

"I don't care if it wasn't  your intention, the fact is you forced me to give up the one person who has ever really shown me they love me for what? Oh yeah, for your own damn greed" I critiqued her sitting up straight and holding her gaze. Whatever she was trying to pull, I wasn't going to fall for it.

"You should know your father and I were terribly unhappy, especially me. I hated him Hyerim and in many ways I... took it out on you. But no matter what, I never wanted to put you in the same hell I was in. So I'll make you a deal. If this marriage goes through successfully, only if, then I'll give you complete freedom over your life" She offered, her voice going soft in a way I had never heard before.

"Complete freedom? What does that mean?" I asked, my body suddenly prickling with anticipation.

"I mean exactly as it says. No matter what I will not interfere in your choices in any way, you can go wherever you like, do what you like... you could even marry whoever you want" She said seriously and I felt my mind spin.

"Daehyun... I want to be with Daehyun" I said immediately, ignoring the voice that warned me inside.

"Very well" She replied so calmly, I almost wondered if I had fallen asleep and was simply dreaming.

"Promise?" I whispered still in disbelief.

"I promise Hyerim. After you marry it might take around 6 months, a year at the most, but then I'll get you a divorce from that... man and you'll be free. I don't like him anymore than you do" She confessed, a ghost of a smile on her face as she watched my wide eyes.

"He doesn't want to marry me" I whispered his own pleads ringing in my mind, the hate in his eyes snapping me out of the dream land I was in.

"What that boy wants doesn't matter. He will marry you, his parents will see to that" She said arrogantly.

"He's in love with someone. He loves this girl mom, can't I at least tell him to wait a year? Maybe then he can tell her and she will—" I began, hoping that she would put some reason into herself.

"You must absolutely not tell him! Hyerim, I'm being patient here with you, I'm doing you a favor. If he finds out that this marriage won't last he'll tell his parents and I won't get what I need which means that you, won't get Daehyun. I'm not giving you a choice honey. I'm just trying to make it a bit more bearable" She snapped and at that moment there was the mother I had grown up with. The woman who was always more interested in what she could get than what she could give.

"A-alright. I'll do it" I promised, the things she dangled in front of me were too much to give up I told myself as my conversation with Kai danced past and that strange discomfort from his words came up again.

That night I laid restlessly in bed, nervous at the deal I had just made and worried at what I would have to endure in the meanwhile. I had to talk to Daehyun and explain what was going on and Kai... I didn't know what to do with him. Just thinking about him made me get nervous again. He so determined, what would he say when he finds out that I'm going to agree completely? I turned over and buried my face into my pillow. Tomorrow his family was coming over again and I had endure his hateful stare once again... I shook myself and forced myself to think of positives... my freedom... my happiness. It would have to be alright.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

A/N: I'll be either posting up another update tonight or early tomorrow! =)