Control

Can't You Realize That I Love You?

I ran home, it was late. It was so late and I was screwed. I had gotten distracted with Daehyun and we had both completely lost track of time. He offered to take me back, but at this point that would only make things worse if she saw us together. My lungs burned as I used the vines and climbed over the gates of my front yard. Dropping with a loud thud that left my sore, I worried about what I would say to my mother.

My whole life I only remembered my parents fighting all the time. From those fights, my mother always got colder and colder towards me. The only love I ever really received was from my father and even that went away soon when he died. At that point everything changed. My mother took over our business and gaining the reputation of a shark she clawed our company all the way to number one among them all. It was because of her that we lived in such a luxurious house and had so much. Still, I couldn't help myself when it came to Daehyun.

It had started out innocently enough. He was assigned as my math tutor. It was a bit awkward at first, he a year older than me and a junior. It began with small jokes and gradually our relationship became more. We got closer, we started sharing secrets and before we knew it we had been secretly dating for a year. It was hard keeping it a secret, he was from a... lower end family which we both knew my mother would never approve. The only reason he was even going to my high school was because he was so smart and so they gave give a full scholarship.

It was because he was so smart... he had such a future.... I felt bad, I wanted him to go as far as he could and yet I could do nothing I concluded depressively as I snuck around my house and finally reached my room. Shutting my door silently I quickly changed into the pajamas I usually wore around the house and placing a hand on my stomach I decided to go get some food.

I wandered down to kitchen slowly, my long hair falling forward as I thought of Daehyun. He wasn't going to go to school for another year simply because his parents couldn't afford it. I thought of the things we had in this house and I felt even worse. If it was up to me I would pay for his tuition myself but not only would my mother never allow it, but neither would Daehyun himself. He'd break things off in a second I concluded miserably as my mood only darkened

Her cold voice snapped me out of it.

"Hyerim, where have you been? I've been searching for you" She said from behind me and I felt my entire body freeze in place as I recognized the edge to her voice. She was not happy.

"I've been here mom. I've just been wandering around a lot today. This house is so big no wonder you missed me" I explained cooly, trying to hide the nerves I felt, "but I'm actually really hungry so I'm going to get some food now. Excuse me" I said politely as I bowed my head lightly and turned back around.

"Oh here I was wondering if I couldn't find you because you were out with that boy?" She asked, a noticeable chill in her voice.

"W-what boy?" I stuttered, feeling a bit dizzy as I turned to face her.

"The one who doesn't even have a mere penny to his name. What was his name? Ah, Jung Daehyun" She said, her voice dripping with disgust.

"Mom... I'm starving, I'm going to find some food. We'll talk later" I said quickly, feeling fear tight in my heart.

She must have seen long before I had even decided that I would try to run because in less than a second she was in front of me, her hand was clasped tightly around my arm as she pulled me forward.

"We'll talk now" She snapped, her nails digging painfully into my arm as I cried out as she dragged me into her office, the one place I hated the most in this world.

"Let go!" I finally yelled as she shut the door to her office and gestured to the chair in front of her desk as she took her own seat.

"I don't even know where to begin... what exactly did you think you were doing with a boy like that?" She asked me with a cold glare in her eyes.

"I don't know what you're talking about" I said quietly, feeling my hands go clammy from nerves and refusing to meet her gaze.

"... Just because you can sit there and lie to me you think nothing is going to happen? You're lucky I let this go on for as long as it did! Just my luck that you wouldn't even get bored of that poor bastard" She snapped angrily and I could feel the weight of her anger and annoyance heavily on my shoulders.

We sat in silence for a moment. No doubt she was thinking of what punishment to give out when the phone rang. I could have cried tears of joy for the small break of the heavy atmosphere in the room. She picked up the phone and I sat still as she agreed to something quickly, I didn't really pay attention my mind was on damage control.

"Break up with him immediately" She said calmly and I looked up, was she crazy?

"No" I said firmly. I always did what I was told. My whole life had been controlled by her. Just this once I wanted him. That was the only thing I wanted.

"We have a dinner tomorrow afternoon" She began ignoring my reply, "Your fiancée will be there and I strongly suggest you be there"

"My... fiancée? Mom what are you talking about? What era do you think we're living in? You can't tell me who to marry!" I yelled, pushing my chair back as I stood up.

"You're right, if we were poor. I have an empire that I built up with my hard work. All the things you have, they come at a price. We need this marriage so the company can expand" She explained calmly as if she were talking about the weather.

"I can't, I won't marry him mom" I snapped as I took a step back.

"Don't make this difficult Hyerim" She said cooly.

"Mom... please. I... love Daehyun" I whispered, noticing the flicker of some emotion in her eyes.

"If you love him then you should let him go. If you stay with him and defy me on this, just know I have the power to make his life miserable" She said coldly, that one flicker of emotion gone.

"Whatever mom, you can't control me forever" I snapped as I stormed off, slamming the door loudly behind me.

Suddenly I wasn't hungry anymore I realized grimly as I ran upstairs and took refuge in my room. I locked the door and sank to the floor in despair. She had allowed this to happen... how long had she known? Knowing that only made it worse because it just kept showing the control she had over me. I was so scared I realized suddenly and I reached in my pocket and pulled out my phone.

"Did you get home alright?" Daehyun asked on the first ring and my heart eased a bit just hearing his voice.

"Yeah, she didn't even suspect a thing" I lied, I knew he would worry if I told him now.

"Thank god, I was getting  worried since u hadn't called" He confessed and I heard some clattering in the background.

"Are you cooking?" I asked him, shutting my eyes tight and picturing in the kitchen, anything to get her words out of my mind.

"Mhm, just some ramen" He mumbled as she heard a  loud crash of plates.

"You sound busy, I should go" I said as I tried to speak past the tightening feeling in my throat, Even thought it was the last thing I wanted.

"... Is something wrong?" He asked worriedly and I could picture him putting everything  down and the frown on his face.

"No I'm fine! just a bit tired" I lied again.

"Alright I'll see you tomorrow night then" He said and I could hear the suspicion in his tone. He knew and it made me both happy that he knew me so well and so terribly sad.

"Bye" I said quickly hanging up knowing if I stayed on the line any longer I might just spill everything out. I remembered his words from earlier this afternoon. Would it really be alright as long as we were together?