The Promises of The Past

Can't You Realize That I Love You?

I opened my eyes. This time I knew better. I knew my situation. The terrifying mix of feelings still rushed back, but I knew better than to say a word. Instead I blinked as my eyes tried to adjust to the low light. I was on my side, facing Daehyun. I looked straight ahead to find two brown eyes staring back at me full of worry and fear. I felt a rush of relief wash over me. He was safe. Daehyun looked back at me with the same relief I felt.

“I’m so sorry” I said quietly, afraid they would suddenly come in and inject us both with more of that crap.

“This isn’t your fault” Daehyun said gently, his arms moved as he tried to get out of the rope that bound his wrists and legs.

“They were after me. What did they do you?!” I whispered angrily. They had no right to touch him I thought as I stared as the large bruise on the side of Daehyun’s face.

“I didn’t react too well when I first came out of it” Daehyun explained weakly, “I was worried about you. They haven’t done… anything to you right?”

“No. I think they’ve sent the ransom already. We’ll be fine Daehyun I promise as soon as it’s all paid we can both get out of here” I said softly, staring at him.

He nodded and was about to say something when his eyes blazed in anger.

“Did those bastards hit you?!” He hissed.

“It was just a slap. I’m alive at least” I said with a hint of a smile, his protectiveness brought me comfort.

“Just let them try to touch you if I wasn’t like this” He growled as he jerked and tried to pull the ropes free, only to be left panting from the strain.

I winced, both from the sight of him trying so hard to break free and from the cold of the concrete floor we were left laying on. Part of me begged me lay on my back so my neck could get more comfort, but I was afraid to look away from Daehyun. It was better this way, where I could keep my eyes on him and know he was alright.

“Are you ok?” He asked, noticing my expression.

“Just cold” I said quietly, my eyes kept trailing to his bruised face. If I hadn’t been with Daehyun he would have never been taken! I bit my lip and regretted the silent thought that snuck its way in. At least… I was glad to have someone with me. I scolded myself, what the hell am I thinking about now?

He opened his mouth to say something else when we heard loud steps coming our way. Without a word we shut up and closed our eyes pretending to be asleep once again.

“They’re not awake yet?” A voice asked after the bolts screeched loudly and the metal door behind us was pushed open.

“Nah, it’s probably because they’re not being disturbed. If the next time we come down they’re not awake we’ll give them more anyways to keep them down” Said the other.

“You know, a trade off is going to be difficult…” One said thoughtfully as his steps echoed loudly in our ears while he stepped closer.

“So maybe we don’t trade? It’s not unheard off that we get our money and they’re never seen again” He said as he gave Daehyun a swift kick in the leg.

“That’s not a bad idea” The other one joked as they walked out and we heard the large padlock click shut.

I opened my eyes slowly and stared at Daehyun who looked thoughtful.

“Next time they come in we’ll both be awake that way they can drugs us at the same and hopefully we’ll wake up at the same time. The next time we wake up we’re going to escape alright? No matter what we’re going to escape” He said confidently.

“Yeah, we will” I breathed as I tried to calm myself.

I felt panic bubble up inside me again. If I died here… I would never see Kai again, I would never stand up to my mom, I would never do anything meaningful, Daehyun would die here with me. My eyes suddenly burned with tears of regret and fear and I fought to blink them away.

With a grunt Daehyun inched closer. I watched as he struggled and eventually pulled himself right up to me. He shifted so our faces were only centimeters apart. His hair fell in his eyes and he shook his head violently to get them out of his way. I smiled despite my increasingly blurry vision.

“Do you remember that time I snuck you out of your house?” He asked quietly.

“Which time?” I said with a small laugh.

“The first time. The time I made you climb out the window behind. Remember you were on the ground floor, but you wouldn’t take the leap and step the 6 inches to the ground?” He teased.

“That was also the first time I climbed over the gates” I said in wonder as I quietly cried.

“I had to reach up and drag you out the window, do you remember what you promised me?” Daehyun asked quietly.

“To never be afraid when you’re around” I whispered.

“I’m going to get you out of here” He promised.

“I know” I said quietly, fighting the rush of fear I felt.

His nose touched mine and I blinked in surprise. I closed my eyes and I swear I could almost feel his arms wrap around me.

“Don’t you hate me?” I asked suddenly, “It’s normal that you would”

“I love you too much to hate you Hyerim” He answered honestly and I felt my heart skip a beat. I didn’t open my eyes. I didn’t say anything else.

It could have been me again, but I swear I felt that imaginary hold tighten.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

And so the plot thickens lol I actually really wanted to write this chapter out I've had it in my mind for a while and Daehyun is just awww :) So, this is my last update of the week! It was a rather short one sorry about that there just wasn't much to add and it seemed right on its own. I'm just gonna go ahead and wish all of you guys that celebreate halloween a happy halloween also! ^__^

Thanks for reading and taking the time to leave comments!!!