A Determined Man

Can't You Realize That I Love You?

“How could you do that?!” I cried out as we were shoved back into my dressing room.

“There was nothing else I could do! I tried explaining it to you!” Kai said loudly.

“I hate you… So you get to run around doing whatever you want for the woman you love and I can’t do anything?!” I screamed as we were both placed in my dressing room and I heard the audible click of the door locking behind us.

“It’s not like that! I already told you I gave her up!”

“Oh so you gave her up? For how long huh?! I bet you in a week you’ll go running back to her and then she’ll convince you to do something stupid to humiliate me or to divorce me! So why must we get married if it’s all going to end up the same freaking way!” I yelled angrily, tears on the verge of spilling over.

He opened his mouth to answer when there came a firm knock on the door. We fell silent as we saw my mother walk in, a firm frown set in her face as she looked at Kai and finally settled it on myself. She walked over, her steps cold and calculated as she gripped my arm so painfully I let out a gasp of pain.

“We need to talk” She seethed as she pulled me along so hard I thought my arm would be pulled out of my socket.

“Please stop. What has happened is already done. We’re getting married that’s all that matters” Kai spoke up and I looked up, surprised that he was cutting in.

“This is none of your business” She said calmly.

“You’re making us get married right? Well then it is my business because even though she may be your daughter, she’s going to be my wife, so while I’m asking politely, please let go of her” He spoke back, his tone restrained and I stared between the two until she finally let go.

"You're lucky your fiancée is standing here. I never thought you'd be the one to run out after all we've talked about" She snapped giving a meaningful stare and with a last glare towards Kai she walked out.

“Why did you step in?” I asked quietly the rage draining from me as I remembered her thinly veiled threat. Why was I so afraid of her? Oh yeah, because she could crush me.

“Because I owed it to you” He said gratefully and I clenched my jaw to keep myself from saying something hateful because at the moment, no matter what he did, I was going to hate him. I glanced at the mirror and winced as I walked over and wiped the running mascara off my face.

He stood there awkwardly and I ignored him as I walked around the room finally spotting the veil and placing it on my head carefully I took another look. The girl in the mirror looked plainer than she had this morning with her big intricate hairdo now totally destroyed and her hair hanging in faint waves, but she was still a bride. Regardless of the mix of anger and sadness in her eyes… this was her wedding day I told myself I had to look the part, practicing a smile in the mirror.

“Do you do that often?” He asked as I saw him come up behind me in the mirror.

“Do what?” I asked sharply.

“Practice fake happiness. You know smiling and all that” He said with a hint of amusement.

“It makes a lot of things easier to get through” I confessed as I looked at us standing in the mirror. So this was the sight that people were going to see soon? We looked normal I supposed and practiced my best smile, now we looked happy.

“I’m never going to be able to tell when you’re actually happy or not” He commented in wonder. I didn’t blame him, sometimes if I stared at myself smile long enough I questioned myself too.

“There’s only one person who can tell my fake smile from my real one and you got him kicked out” I snapped suddenly and regretted it slightly as he stiffened besides me. We were going to get married, I couldn’t change that, but he was trying to play nice… should I be doing so too?

“Try fake smiling” I suggested quietly.

He looked down at me cautiously and then looked back up at mirror us. He cocked his head and stretched his lips in a garbled half-smile, half- frown hybrid and I laughed. His eyes showed a little relief as I stood there and he tried to fix his smile, suddenly letting out a small laugh. He scratched the back of his head bashfully and for a second everything was alright between us. That is, until we heard the music play and the laughter died in our throats. A door opened and they escorted Kai out. He turned back to say something, but thought better of it and kept going. But what could he say? Good luck? I hope our fake marriage works out?

When it was my turn a man I didn’t know came to the door and I followed behind. As we neared the room I put up my well practiced smile and followed along to the song just like I had been taught. I spared a glance at the people around us and wondered why they didn’t do anything. They must know it’s all fake right? I looked further up the isle to see Kai waiting for me nervously, his face set in determination. I’m not marrying a happy man, I’m marrying a determined man. This must be every girl's dream I thought sarcastically.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

The next chapter is a long one I've still got to edit it and you know, finish it, but it'll be up soon! I seriously need to take advatange of the fact that I've still got a couple weeks of summer left!

Thanks for the comments! ^_____^