One Step Forward, Two Steps Back

Can't You Realize That I Love You?

 

We sat outside in my car. The heat was off and the cold was ruthless. It was even worse that we had been out here for the past 3 nights repeating the same deal.

"Doesn't your mother ever go out?!" Daehyun snapped as he shivered in his seat.

"I told you she had a charity ball or something this week... I'm just not sure when..." I hissed as I pulled the blankets we had brought up to my chin.

"Can't we just break in?" He whined.

"We're already technically stealing, we're adding breaking and entering too? No thanks" I said quietly as I watched the house like a hawk.

Daehyun opened his mouth to say something else when he suddenly placed a hand on top of my head and shoved me lower into the seat. We immediately went quiet as the gates opened and my mother's car slowly pulled out. We sank into our seats as the car thankfully went the other way. We waited for five minutes in dead silence before we finally peaked up.

"Let's go" I whispered as we quickly went out of the car and up to the front gates, I rang the doorbell and a familiar maid answered quickly.

"Who is this?" She asked over the intercom.

"Hi, this is Park Hyerim. I came because I needed to get some clothes out of my room. I swear I'll be in and out in a second" I explained cheerfully.

"... Miss Park I think it would be better if you return when your mother is home" She responded uncomfortably.

"I live here. I don't understand why I can't come in?" I said a little annoyed.

"It's just that your mother gave orders..." She said, sounding even more nervous and I winced.

"I just need to go in and pack some clothes, please you know how my mother is. I really don't want to see her" I whispered trying to sound as pitiful as I could, but it wasn't a lie. I really didn't want to see her anyways...

"O-oh alright, but please hurry" She whispered and I grinned at Daehyun as the gates swung open and we ran inside.

I glanced at Daehyun as we made our way upstairs with the maid following closely behind. I looked nervously as Daehyun who seemed to be thinking. Suddenly he reached over and grabbed my torso pressing down painfully and I gasped for breath.

"Damn, are you feeling sick again Hyerim?!" He asked worriedly and I stared wide eyed as he pressed harder and I played along.

"Yeah... I'm ugh, nauseous again" I groaned as I bent forward and let my hair fall in front of my face.

"Where's the bathroom?!" Daehyun asked as he dragged me over and quickly pushed us both into the bathroom shutting the door in front of the woman's face.

He nodded towards the toilet and stuck his tongue out. I winced and bent over it making gagging noises. He opened the door a crack and glared at the maid.

"Can't you see she's sick? Bring some water now!" He ordered exasperatedly and she nodded quickly running off towards the kitchen.

"Get up. Go to your mother's study. I can buy you some time but hurry up" He snapped as he shoved me out and shut the door to the bathroom tightly.

I blinked at the door for a few seconds and heard some quick steps running over to us. I ran in the opposite direction and for the first time I was glad this house was so large. I quickly slipped in and closed the door quietly, locking it shut. I turned and I immediately rushed over to her desk. Very quietly I pulled open and searched through every drawer in there. My fingers ran over dozens of papers, none of them anything to do with me.

I groaned and went to the large frame behind her desk. Very carefully I pulled it away to reveal the safe she kept back there. I turned to her bookcase and ran my fingers along the books sitting there. I knew she kept a key in one of them. I tried to recall the countless of times I had walked in when that safe was open and the book on her desk. It was blue.

I pulled out books until I finally found one. It was a diary and when I opened it there was a small pocket in the back with the smallest of keys sitting there plainly. I grinned and placed the book on the desk and took out the key. The sound as the lock accepted it and it clicked open was almost heavenly. I pulled it open and searched through the folders there. On the top one there was a black folder, I opened it to find my signature at the bottom of the sheet inside. I smiled and pulled it out. I bit my lip and thought.

It looked like she just placed the most recent folder she had taken out on top so if she hadn't looked at my father's will in a while because she didn't need to then it should be at the bottom? I grabbed the bottom stack and opened every folder quickly. Suddenly I heard voices from afar. Daehyun yelled something in annoyance and I swore quietly. There was a sealed manila envelope on the very bottom. I  grabbed a letter opener and tore it open, I pulled out the papers inside and the first words that greeted me were my father's name. I skimmed it and I realized this was it. I grabbed the entire envelope and placed it on top of the folder I had set aside.

"Miss Park are you in there?!" A shrill voice asked as the doorknob jiggled, "You can't be in there!"

"Why don't we go to the living room. I told you she just went for a walk!" Daehyun yelled.

I stayed quiet as I placed everything else neatly back into the safe and quietly shut it once again. I took the key out and placed the picture frame back over it. I slipped the key back into the blue journal and out of curiosity I flipped to the front page. I stared at the familiar sight of my mother's handwriting and realized it was a diary. I looked at the date. This was dated 21 years ago. This must've been the first entry and I stared at the first paragraph. The person who wrote couldn't have been my mother, this sounded like a naive girl.

"Miss Park! I will be forced to call your mother if you stay in there any longer!" The girl screamed and I shut the journal quickly.

It didn't matter who she used to be. She was the person she is now and that woman was someone I wouldn't forgive. I pushed the journal back in its place on the bookshelf and made sure everything looked just as when I had walked in. I grabbed the envelope and folder and slipped them inside my shirt, holding them tightly against my stomach as I went and pulled the doors open.

"Sorry, I remembered my mother had some good medicine and I figured she probably kept it in her office" I said with a smile and Daehyun grinned

"When Mrs. Park hears about you being here and playing tricks—" She began nervously.

"Then you can begin by telling her how you let us in?" I suggested as I saw the of fear that crossed her face, "We'll be going now!" I said as I pulled Daehyun and we practically ran out.

We drove quickly back to my house and I laughed happily as  shut the engine off and we stepped out. I grinned as I held the papers in my arms tightly.

"This is it. After I turn these over tomorrow... I can get things back to normal Daehyun!" I said excitedly as I laughed brightly, practically skipping over to the front door.

"I told you we could do it" He said proudly as he followed me up and placed a friendly hand on my shoulder, "Now I'm cold, want to make me a hot coffee before you take me back home?" He said with a grin.

"Sure, I seriously owe you after this" I said as I unlocked the door and let him in.

"I'll call you tomorrow to check how things went. I've got some news too, but I'll share them tomorrow too" He said with a secretive smile.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kai sat in his car parked across the street. He had driven past a while ago and despite his pride telling him otherwise, once he noticed her car wasn't there he came by around again. He repeated the process until finally he had parked in the shadows across the street and sat there with his arms crossed across his chest. She might still be at her mother's house... that's a good explanation. He didn't want to care, but he did. It was as simple as that.

Unfortunately, what he felt for her went beyond reason. He knew she had betrayed him and yet all he wanted was to be back in that house, holding her tightly so she would never leave him.  He was being an idiot though, at this rate he would end up bursting into that house and staying there.

His pride would have none of that.

So he put the keys into the ignition and just before he the car he saw her car coming down that street. He froze, suddenly unprepared to see her even if she couldn't see him. He sank into his seat as he watched her get out of the car. It was when he saw him get out of the car that his heart hardened. She practically glowed with happiness as she hurried to their front door and then... they both went inside.

He stared at his house and the image of his wife with that guy burned into his mind. So, it was all true he realized truly. His eyes burned, but men didn't cry. His pride gloated in his mind, it berated, it called him a fool and he knew he had been.

But he wouldn't be one anymore.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Alright second update is up! Thanks for reading! ^_^