All Alone

Can't You Realize That I Love You?

I sat silently in the car besides Kai. He drove slowly, his hair ruffled in the cool wind coming from the open window and he kept his eyes on the road. I shivered slightly, the weather was getting cooler lately, and I sunk deeper into the leather seats. We had left at 7 and it had already been an excruciatingly 2 hours of waiting until we got there.

Finally, when we got past the city and all the houses we reached a small dirt path. It was hidden between veils of green trees that our car could barely drive through as we reached their cabin. We stopped the car and got out. I took a second to breathe in the smell of nature, something you just can’t do in the middle of a busy city with loud cars driving past and the constant chatter of people around you. I looked around, it was a big cabin, but not too large that it failed to look warm and inviting.

“I’ll help you with that” I called as I heard Kai open the trunk of the car.

“It’s fine” He said as he easily grabbed our bags.

I nodded and closed the trunk as he led the way into the cabin. As he placed the bags down by the door I walked off to look around. It was beautiful, peaceful, scenic, but there was just one glaring problem with it.

“What are we going to do here for three days?” I asked as I walked back into the living room.

“I dunno. Watch tv?” He said if I was slow.

“Genius. If only I had thought of that before! Except, wait for it, there are no electronics here!” I shot back waving at the empty space where I supposed electronics had laid before.

“What...” He said with wide eyes as he ran past me.

I sighed in annoyance and took a seat on the couch as I waited for him to catch up. It took him about 3 more minutes for him to return, a lost look on his face. He sank into the space besides and shook his head.

“I told you” I whispered under my breath, feeling a bit triumphant though in reality none of us won from this arrangement.               

“I don’t understand. Last time I came here it was completely filled with everything! TV, stereo, video games…” He trailed off, his voice filled with regret.

“When was the last time you came here?” I asked as brought my knees to my chest and rested my chin on them.

“Er… with my family” He stuttered looking away and I smirked.

“You snuck your girlfriend to your parent’s cabin? Wow… and here I was feeling special” I joked, though no matter how carefree it sounded on the outside, I felt a small tightness in my chest.

“It was a long time ago. Back when we first began dating. I barely remember it” He muttered.

“It’s alright. You don’t have to explain” I said as we sat sort of awkwardly.

“Want to come on a walk?” He offered.

“You said your phone still had a little service… can I borrow for a second?” I asked awkwardly.

“Why?” Kai asked, a hint of defensiveness in his voice.

“I need to make a quick call obviously” I said quietly.

“Come on that walk with me first” He countered and I knew it wasn’t a request.

“Fine” I said as I grabbed my coat and followed him out.

We walked a long time. He led the way and we didn’t speak a word. In fact, we hadn’t really talked at all since we got home from the hospital. Mostly since because that second time we kissed, we weren’t sleepy, we hadn’t just been sick, there was just no way to explain it away. Except maybe emotional distress, but I was still working on how to make that excuse work.

He finally stopped and I found us to be in the tiniest clearing a forest could have. It was only a couple feet larger than my body length if I had laid across the ground. Kai grinned and knelt by the ground and laid back, leaves crunching underneath him.

“What are you doing?” I asked looking down on him.

“I’m taking a break” He said peaceful as he closed his eyes, “Try it. We’ve been walking for like an hour. Just lay down and don’t think”

I rocked on my heels and watched him for a few seconds longer before finally deciding it wouldn’t hurt and it beat standing in awkward silence. So I got down on my knees next to him, made a small pillow of leaves and laid back on the cool ground.

“I used to do this all the time when I was younger. We used to come here all the time. It was mostly my mom and I, my dad worked a lot” He said softly.

I stared up at the dark sky, clouds rolling around as a warning of something to come. I decided to not say anything, what could I say anyways? He must be tired, we were at the hospital until late last night and had to wake up early today. Plus, I could tell he was still worried about his mom.

“Do you think she’s alright?” He asked in an uncertain tone.

“If she wasn’t do you really think she would send you away? Of course not. She would want you at her side” I said confidently.

“You know what I kept wondering last night?” Kai asked, “I kept asking myself why my mom likes you so much. I mean, this was supposed to be a business deal right? And yet she keeps pushing me to fall in love with you. She calls me to talk about you. She points out things that I’ve noticed before and tells me all sort of weird stuff” He said sincerely.

“She just wants you to be happy and she thinks that if we fall in love we will be” I replied, my fingertips touching the cool ground beneath us.

“Do you love Daehyun?” Kai asked suddenly.

At the mention of his name my conscience came up. I sat up, what was I doing laying besides Kai like this? Daehyun… even if he was mad he still loved me.

“I’m going back” I announced dusting off the dirt and leaves from my clothes.

Kai pushed himself up in one fluid motion so he stood beside me. I turned in the direction of the house only to feel arms come around me and hold me back. I went still as my mind suddenly went blank. He didn’t say a word and I was glad for it because we playing along a dangerous line, one that I knew we both didn’t want to cross.

“Hyerim…” Kai began and it was as if his voice brought me back to my senses, I shook my head, silently pleading for him to stop.

“I love him” I said suddenly and I wondered if I reminding him or myself.

“After a third time… it’s not a mistake” He said as he gently turned me around to face him.

I wanted to want to push him away. Guilt rattled around inside me and I realized that I wouldn’t feel any guilt if I didn’t have… feelings inside of me to feel guilty for. I stared at Kai’s chest and tried to think of Daehyun, of every sweet thing he had ever done for me and at that moment, I hated my heart. I hated it all, especially how weak I was.

Kai snuck his hand along my neck and tilted my face up. His eyes were full of apology and caring. We kissed again. It was like a shot of adrenaline I desperately hoped I wouldn’t feel, but as he crushed me to him, as my hands tangled in his hair, I lost track of everything. We fell to the ground and the leaves crunched underneath us as we kissed.

A cold drop of liquid fell on my cheek and I blinked my eyes open as suddenly thousands of raindrops began to fall from the sky. Kai’s lips left mine as he looked up and blinked up as his body covered mine from the hard pellets of rain. He looked down at me and smiled regretfully.

“Looks like it’s not meant to be” He whispered as he got off and pulled me to my feet.

We walked back at a slow pace ignoring the rain around us. This was our end. Three kisses and nothing more. We would go back and pretend all of this never happened and I tried to convince myself I was relieved. We ran back through the rain and I prayed that it would wash away the three kisses we had shared. So they would be so far gone that I wouldn’t ever have to think about it again.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

***After this chapter I'm officially transferring the fic to the new account and updating the poster so it reflects the new account name and all that so just a heads up when you guys notice the author name change and all that! I hope the transfer goes through smoothly since I've never done this before! 

New Account: http://www.asianfanfics.com/profile/view/237401

(If you added my old account please re-add me as a friend with this one or don't be surprised if you get a sudden friend request ^^)

Thanks to everyone that subscribes and reads ^____^