I Love You

Can't You Realize That I Love You?

 

“Let’s go out” Kai insisted.

“I don’t want to” I mumbled curled up on the couch.

“You can’t spend your days hung up over what happened with Daehyun. You’re beginning to make me think I was the wrong choice here. If you had broken up with me would you be this broken up about it?” He asked jealously, his chin setting stubbornly.

“It’s not like that it’s just that, you can’t even understand you haven’t even broken up with her yet!” I countered.

“I told you I was going to!” Kai defended quickly.

“When? I did my part and it hurt, but you can’t tell me to get over it when you haven’t even begun” I told him seriously.

“Fine I’ll do it tonight, but first go on a date with me” He murmured sinking into the space next to me and placing an arm around me, pulling me to him.

“No, talk to her first” I said unwilling to budge on this. He smirked and gave me a soft kiss on the cheek.

“Please? Pretty please? Just a little date?” He asked playfully, those lips of his trailing just an inch lower while he talked.

“N-no” I said, stumbling over what was supposed to be a firm refusal. Damn him.

“How about we just get something to eat? We won’t even go far” He tempted his hands skimming my skin, “Or I suppose we could just stay. I don’t mind now that I think about it?”

“Fine! We’ll get food. But promise me. No, swear to me, when we get back things with her are done”

“I swear”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Now I sat on the couch nearest to the front door and wondered how such a beautiful house could have such thin walls. I pulled my knees up to my chest and listened to the yells and cries coming from outside. Was it worth it? I thought the way I felt around him, how afraid I was that he might take everything back and decided it was. We were married anyways... it shouldn't be this hard to try to stay that way.

I heard another sob and shut my eyes tight. It reminded me of Daehyun and just the thought of him made me sick with guilt. I wasn't a person that played with someone's feeling and yet I hurt one of the most important people in my life. I was a terrible person. Kai had been out there for 45 long minutes and I felt like I was waiting for the verdict on our relationship.

The troubled voices outside were quieting down and I didn't know whether to feel relieved or scared. I thought about how happy we had been this morning on our first and only date. He was right, we really did everything backwards....

"How should we end our first date?" Kai asked, excitement rippling in his eyes.

"I dunno" I said, holding his hand in mine, enjoying the fact that it felt nice to be out and forget about other things.

I looked up at the sky and smiled.

"Let's take a picture!" He said as his eyes landed on an ignored photo booth.

"That's stupid" I mumbled taking another bite of cotton candy we bought at a food stand, "Everyone does that"

"More reason for us to do it!" He called as he dragged me into the booth.

I laughed as he pulled the curtains over the door and put three dollars in. We fought over the frames, finally deciding on a heart one, as long as we were going for clichés... Just as the flash was about to go off he pulled me by the scarf and kissed me, a playful smile on his lips.

"I have something for you" He said, refusing to make eye contact as we sat in the small booth.

"You got me a gift? When?" I asked trying to think back and wonder when he had time to get anything.

"Um.. here" He said unceremoniously as he pulled out a silver chain with a ring on the end.

I recognized the ring immediately. It sparkled even in the shadows of the booth and I glanced up at Kai unsure. He gave me a small smile as he extended his hand to mine and I reached out for it. I smiled as I wrapped my arms around him and laughed softly.

"Thank you" I said happily as I held the necklace tightly.

I smiled softly as I clutched the soft blue scarf tighter, the ring hanging underneath. I heard a car door slam in the distance. Was she leaving? I counted 73 seconds before our front door opened and I heard him walk in. I didn't move as I heard him hesitantly walk towards me. I stared at his pant leg from the corner of my eyes and waited for him to say something. Anything really.

"It didn’t go well” Kai finally whispered.

"Did you tell her about us?" I said quietly, refusing to look up, emotions twisting inside of me.

"I did. I tried. She wouldn't listen, she got hysterical" He explained, sitting on the edge of the coffee table in front of me.

"So what... you didn't break up with her?" I said hollowly.

"I've known her for five years. She's fragile… but I did I think she finally understands" Kai said.

"And if she comes back?" I asked finally looking at him and standing up.

"Then I’ll talk to her, she’s just taking this hard" He said in a reassuring tone holding me in his arms.

"Let me talk to her" I said into his chest, trying to keep my emotions at bay.

"No, she can't handle that. Don't go near her" He said, a lace of warning in his voice that made my body stiffen.

"You love her don't you?" I asked as I pulled back, shrugging his arms off.

"I... I don't love her" He stumbled over his words and his pause hurt me more than I imagined in my head.

"Yeah you do she's too precious for you to hurt, but what am I?"

"I love you!" He said seriously.

"...not like you love her" I whispered, reality rearing its cruel head. It must be karma, I deserved this.

"What about you? You were sitting there crying about Daehyun!” He fought back.

“This isn’t about Daehyun. I stepped up at least and ended things cleanly”

"Hyerim... I do love you I just—" Kai began.

"Just stop” I snapped as I walked past him heading to my room.

He swore under his breath as he took three large steps grabbed me by the shoulders.

“You want to run away because being with me makes you feel guilty. I get that, but I love you. I care about Da Hae because I’ve been with her for so long just like you worry about Daehyun, but I love you!” He insisted and I took a deep breath.

“Really? I mean think about it a minute ago you were so worried about her, how do I know you’re not forcing yourself to say this?” I asked

“You caught me by surprise and I said this at our engagement party, that ring belongs on the woman I love. You have that ring now. I love you"

“...I overreacted" I confessed embarrased.

"It's ok I kind of like seeing you jealous for me. Now you now how I felt" Kai said with a small smirk that made my heart flutter.

"I wasn't jealous. I just don't like her" I said quickly.

"Yeah you don't like her, because you're jealous" He said proudly.

"Shut up"