Push and Pull

Can't You Realize That I Love You?

I made a face as I looked at the drop down and groaned as the grass did little to cushion the fall. I needed to get used to getting home in through the front gates from now on. Dusting myself off I started to head for the house, but stopped at the muffled sound of voices. With a frown I looked around and curiosity took a hold of me as I walked around the edge of the gate until I reached the front.

By this time the voices we louder and they sounded angry. It was a man and the high pitched voice told me there was a girl there too. I held my breath as I pressed myself against the gate and slowly peaked around the edge. The first person I noticed was Kai. He looked stressed, he ran his hands through his hair so it rested messily and shook his head. He took a step forward and grabbed the girl in front of him. It didn't take me long to figure out who she was even thought I couldn't see her face.

She was crying I realized with a start as I sized her up. She was my height, her hair was lighter and fell in short curly waves, nothing like my long straight black hair. She was small and my breath hitched at the way Kai suddenly bent down to kiss her, tangling his hands in her hair, I blushed and hid myself completely so that they couldn't see me and I couldn't see them, but I could still hear.

I should have walked away, but something made me want to stay and listen. A sort of morbid curiosity that made me want to know how this turned out for him and if he would fare any better than I did. So I sank down to a sitting position, a large bush in front of me keeping me out of sight and listened.

"I only love you! I won't marry her! I want you be with you" He insisted urgently and I could almost picture the determination on his face.

"Oh Kai, I love you too... promise me even if you're forced to marry her... you won't leave me" She pleaded in a soft voice and I made a face.

Even if he got married she would be willing to meddle in the marriage even if it meant she would be the other woman? What kind of girl was this, one who didn't even respect herself? Sure I proposed something similar to Daehyun, but he knew this was going to be temporary, he knew the truth, for all that girl knew this marriage was supposed to be permanent and she still wanted to be with him? I didn't like her much.

"I swear to you, that girl is nothing compared to you. You are the love of my life. No matter what happens nothing will change that" He swore as I rolled my eyes.

So this was the type of guy he was? Willing to cheat on his wife for a love despite making a commitment? Granted it wasn't a traditional marriage but still... it was the principal of the thing I told myself and at the same time a little voice inside of me criticized my hypocrisy, wasn't that exactly what I wanted to do with Daehyun? I sighed softly and sank deeper into the ground. No wonder he was so angry... what was I thinking suggesting that to him?

Why was I even being this nosy? I should just head inside.

"Kai... why can't I be your wife? Why must it be her? I want you to leave her. Promise that as soon as you can you'll leave her" She insisted and I paid attention, well wasn't she eager to be his wife?

"I promise and if this wedding goes through she'll be the one walking away, but you need to go. I told you before not to come down here. Someone could come by and see us" He whispered and the worry in his voice for her was so strong I wonder if I reached out if I could feel it in the air around her.

I sat quietly as they said their goodbyes, mixed with a couple of pauses that I  was sure were more kisses. As I heard his footsteps come closer, I felt strangely guilty for listening in on his private moments. I shut my eyes and sunk into the dirt as he stopped walking suddenly. It felt like an hour before he finally kept walking, but I didn't breath until his footsteps sounded far away enough. Carefully, I looked up just in time to see the front door shut and finally picked myself up from the ground.

Waiting a couple of seconds I ran up to the house. It was silent as I pulled the doors open and stepped in quietly. I brushed some dirt from my arm and ran for the stairs only to fall forward as a loud voice thundered through the room and scared the crap out of me.

"How much did you see?" He asked in a steel cold voice, surprising me so much that I missed the first step and crashed onto the stairs.

I groaned in pain as my knee stung and bled and my hands were the only thing that kept my face from slamming onto one of the steps. I heard him walked over and grab my arms firmly as he pulled me up, that act alone surprising me the most. His eyes were furious but there was an edge of humor in them as he looked at me and it made me defensive. I looked away only to see my reflection off to the side. I had a leaf stuck in my hair, my body and clothes we stained with dirt and my knee was bleeding.

Well... this was embarrassing.

"I don't know what you're talking about" I shot back, wincing from the pain in my knee.

"I don't appreciate being spied on, but it's not like I'm willing to keep Da Hae a secret forever. You didn't see or hear anything you shouldn't have already known. Have you talked to your mother?" He asked coldly and I frowned as he reached up to pick the leaf from my hair only to catch himself and pull his arm back just in time.

"She's not going to change her mind. I didn't bother to say anything to her" I snapped as shrugged his hand off and instead held onto the railing.

"You didn't say anything? What's wrong with you?!" He yelled and I blinked in surprise.

"Nothing! I just... I'm not going to get into a fight with her because you're too much of a coward to step up and say something!" I yelled back, wishing I could just mention that he wouldn't have to put up with it long, but I just couldn't say a word.

"Can't you realize what this is costing us? It's not just me, you will be married! You'll have no freedom, you'll be stuck in a loveless marriage that I can promise you won't make either of us happy!" He snapped, trying to make me see reason I suppose and I could see his point.

If it wasn't for the promises and threats my mother used to get me here, I would think of myself as crazy if I didn't fight back.

"We have to do this!" I shot back.

"No we don't try thinking about someone else for a change! Do you know what you're making me give up!?" He hissed.

"Yes! I do and I do feel bad, but what about me?! Do you really think I'm so eager to marry a jerk like you?! Do YOU know what I've lost?!" I yelled angrily. He was so unfair, did he really think I was so stupid as to not know what I was losing? I didn't him to remind me.

"So I don't get it... if you're losing so much, then why aren't you helping me stop this?" He said in such a gentle tone that I was startled by him yet again. His eyes looked so understanding that for a second I wanted to trust him and tell him.

"You'll understand someday why we.... no, why I have to do this" I said quietly as turned to run up the stairs and hideaway in my room where I could just wash off.

"I can't understand" He whispered, "I can't understand why because of a selfish person like you I have to lose everything!" He snapped as he reached out and caught my arm, trying to stop me from running away, but pulling so hard that instead he sent me flying towards the foot of the stairs.

I remember I screamed faintly, I remember the look of horror and apology in his eyes, I imagined pain. A crippling pain, would my neck be broken? Maybe a broken leg at least? But it was a pain that never came because the moment in an instant he had grabbed me and pulled me away from the edge and crashing into his arms.

"Holy ..." he swore, breathless from the stress.

"Y-you almost killed me!" I yelled angrily as I pushed him away, breathing heavily and refusing to let him see how scared I was. Suddenly, everything in that day  was too much, too overwhelming.

"Is everything alright?!" I heard his mother's voice as his parents and my mom ran in. no doubt, my scream attracting them.

"Everything's fine!" I said tensely as I shot an accusatory glare at him and to his credit, he did look like he was sorry. It was when his face changed to actual guilt when I realized that I was beginning to tear up.

"Hyerim..." My mother began, no doubt ready to bombard me with questions which I just wasn't in the mood for. My arm hurt from being pulled around, I was covered in dirt, my knee was cut and bleeding and I was still shaky and...

"I'm going to change" I said quickly and ran up ignoring the look he was giving, concern mixed with anger, "I'll be back in a little while"

Did he really think yanking me around all over the place was going to help me. Plus it didn't help that only hours ago... Daehyun had dumped me.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

A/N: Thanks for reading! ^_^