Time

Time

 

*1 week later*

Jiyeon’s P.O.V
 

I didn’t know it was possible for so much to change in such short time. I didn’t know who would be standing by my side, as I struggled for my life. I just wanted to wake up, just to see if I would be able to, if I was capable of living again. But more than anything, I wanted to see his face, I wanted to make sure he was okay. They say it takes a life changing moment to show you where your heart falls, and it seems like my heart has finally learned it’s lesson from all the pain it’s suffered. If only my eyes would open; I was drifting aimlessly, back and forth from reality to dreamland. But my eyes still wouldn’t budge.

“Do you think she will ever wake up?”

“I don’t know, the doctors said she was in critical condition, and that a full recovery might not occur.”

“So young, and so pretty..who could do this to someone so bright?”

“I know. It truly is a cruel world we live in. Did you hear what happened to that boy who had a seizure in the middle of the road? I think he came into the hospital the day this girl was admitted...my heart goes out to that family...so young and handsome...they just couldn’t revive him.”

“I heard about him. The last thing he said before he passed was someone’s name..what was it?”

“it was something pretty I remember...”

“Ahhh, that’s right! Her name was Park Jiyeon.”

Park Jiyeon? Me? Someone who knows me died? who? Why still, even with such shocking news, my eyes remained tightly closed. I need to know who died saying my name! I suddenly felt a surge of blood rushing through my system, like I was being tortured once more. The excruciating pain was coming to me. Am I dying again?

DOCTOR. DOCTOR. SOMETHING’S WRONG WITH THE PATIENT! Go get her surgeon!”

I slowly opened my eyes, everything was so bright and white. Am I in heaven? Is this how it feels to be separated from the real world?

“Jiyeon-ah” I heard a voice calling me. I was no longer lying on the hospital bed. I was now walking, in what seemed like an empty, endless, white room. I turned around, and saw...

“Yoseob? What are you doing here?” My mind was in shock. Am back in dreamland?

“Jiyeon-ah, i’m sorry I couldn’t protect you.”

“What do you mean you’re sorry. I’m sure you have your reason..?”

“I do, and I wanted to tell you before you wake up. I needed to explain this to you before you wake up and see that i’m not there by your side.”

“You’re scaring me Yoseob. Isn’t this just another dream?”

“Not really. You’re in between realms right now. You’re not in Heaven and you’re not on Earth either. You’re in the middle, teetering. Your place in this world is not determined yet. But I hope this, our conversation, will determine it.”

“Then how are you here then? Why would you be here if...” I paused for a second, and remembered what the nurses in my room had gossiped about. Yoseob just looked at me with his sorrowful eyes.

“No..it can’t be? You can’t be...? YOSEOB! ANDWAE!!!” I ran to him, but he was nothing but transparent. Suddenly, tears began falling from my eyes.

“Jiyeon-ah. I won’t be there when you wake up. And I won’t be there when you get better. And I won’t be there to go to college with you. And I won’t be there to share anymore precious memories with you. My time on earth has ended.”

“You’re lying. This can’t be true. No; No, I refuse to believe that you’re gone. Stop..” he only looked down. Why wasn’t he telling me that I was right..

“HOW? HOW DID THIS HAPPEN?” I was screaming as tears continued to flow down my face. This had to be a dream. I would wake up, and everything would be the same as it had been before everything happened. Right?

“Let’s not ask how, or even why. Things happen to us for a reason, and we must learn to deal with life the way it comes at us. I’ve accepted that this is a part of my fate, and there is nothing I can do. My only regret is that i’m leaving you there without anyone by your side.”

“So, are you saying...you died, and this is real?” A part of me didn’t want him to answer the question, but if this was a dream, it wouldn’t matter anyways.

“Yes Jiyeon, I passed away a week ago. When you entered the hospital, I passed away.”

There was nothing to do but cry.

“Don’t cry Jiyeon” Yoseob came closer and tried to comfort me, but he couldn’t touch me. “Jiyeon, I might have died. But if I hadn’t, they wouldn’t of had enough blood to give YOU to survive. You had lost too much blood that night, and blood supply was low. If I hadn’t passed away that night, you would have. And I couldn’t live knowing that you had left this world, and had left me to fend for myself. At least now you can live knowing that I support your dreams and aspirations and that I will be looking after you for the rest of your life.”

“You...You saved me?”

“Yes. I saved you, like you saved me from spending the last months of my life in sorrow. I repaid a favor that deserved more of a repayment. The love you gave me in our relationship is worth more than just my life. I’m sorry for all the hardship, and i’m sorry I couldn’t be there for you when I wanted to. I deserved to die, and you deserve better. That’s why you have to fight Jiyeon! You have to leave this realm and go back to where you belong. You need to live so that I can look on without guilt. If both you and me left this world, it would only show how selfish we are. We can’t hurt the people who love us even more than we have already.”

“But, how am I supposed to live knowing that you’re here? Does that make any sense. I don’t care if it’s selfish, i’ll stay here, with you.”

“You don’t want to do that Jiyeon. I know where you heart really wants to be, and that’s in the real world, where your friends are, where your family is, and where your love is. What we shared was undefinable, and I will miss you like crazy, but I can’t take your heart somewhere where it doesn’t want to be. Fight for your life Jiyeon, and become strong again so that you can accomplish all you want. But you need to fight now, because time is running out.” He began walking away.

“YOSEOB! WHERE ARE YOU GOING?!?” I screamed from, what seemed like, the top of my lungs. He continued walking away, but suddenly turned around.

“You need to fight Jiyeon, now. Go return to the one who’s been there for you throughout your life. Go stand next to Kikwang, and if you let him go, I will haunt you two until you’re back standing next to him. I was stupid for ever interfering in the first place. But i’m happy I did, because I truly do, and always will, love you Jiyeon. So fight.” With that, he disappeared.

“NOOOOO!!! COMEBACK.” There was suddenly a sharp pain on my chest, like a million electic shock waves were ripping through my heart.

Fight Jiyeon, fight for Yoseob, fight for your family, fight for...Kikwang..

................
........
GO 1, 2, 3 CLEAR
.......
..............
......
...........
NO RESPONSE DOCTOR!

ONE MORE TIME! SHE’S GOING TO FIGHT! CHARGE!
1, 2, 3 CLEAR!
....
..
Yoseob...thank you. For making me fight and for saving me...Saranghae.

WE’VE GOT HER BACK!

 




Kikwang’s P.O.V
 

“She’s stable now. We had a little scare, but it seems like she’s going to wake up soon. I expect she will be up in 3 days.”

“Thank you doctor. Please make sure to take care of her, and once she wakes up, please deliver that letter for me.” That was the only good news I had heard in the past week. There were no words to describe the joy I felt as the doctor spoke. But then following it came a huge pain in my chest.

“Are you sure you want to continue your travel arrangements. I’m sure your friend would like to see you when she wakes up. Especially after everything that has happened.” Of course I didn’t want to continue with my plans of studying in the States, but what choice do I have? I already declined all my other offers. This was my only option..Jiyeon would understand, wouldn’t she?

“Please don’t worry doctor. I provided everything she needs to know in that letter. As long as you make sure she gets it, it’s like I never left.”

“Okay sir, I will make sure to give it to her immediately after she wakes.”

I ended the phone call and quickly turned my phone off and placed it in my pocket.

“Please fasten all your seat-belts, we will be departing shortly” I was really going through with this. Next stop, LA.

I’m sorry Jiyeon, I know you will want someone there to explain everything to you when you wake up, but I just can’t do that for you. Seeing you almost die was enough for me to know that I can’t bear to see you in anymore more pain. I might be a coward, but I hope you will understand everything. Just please, read my letter and hear me out...Saranghae Jiyeon.

 



*1 week later*

Jiyeon’s P.O.V
 

It was a miracle, they said, that I was able to open my eyes and remember everyone and everything. But I wish I didn’t. If I didn’t remember anything, then I wouldn’t be in so much pain right now. Was this god’s way of punishing me for having a weak heart? I just wanted to forget all events that occurred in the past year. But, I couldn’t.

A part of me had already accepted Yoseob’s passing, after the real-like dream I had, I felt better knowing he promised to look after me. But my heart still yearned for him. I continued to cry- I cried until my eyes were going to burst from the pressure. Suddenly, there was a knock on the door.

“IU?” I started crying even more. The innocent face of my best friend made me miss her that much more.

“JIYEON-AH!” she ran to me and hugged me. Her embrace, it was like that of a sisters. I forgot how comfortable I was in her arms.

“JIYEON-Ah, I’M SO SORRY. FOR EVERYTHING. I WAS STUPID AND WRONG PLEASE FORGIVE ME!” she was crying her eyes out as well. I knew that her words were meaningful and held loads of regret.

“IU, HE’S GONE. YOSEOB’S GONE. WHAT AM I GOING TO DO?” IU pulled away and began wiping the tears off my face, and then returned to embracing me.

“I know Jiyeon-ah. I know. I’m going to be here for you. Whatever you want me to do, i’ll do it. I’m so sorry all this had to happen to you. You don’t deserve this.”

All of a sudden, there was another knock on the door...

“Wooyoung!” I began to cry even harder.

“Jiyeon, i’m so happy you’re alive.” He came closer and began rubbing my back as IU continued to hug me. It seemed like they were having an argument with each other, or at least that’s what I could make out of their harsh whispers. I pulled away from the hug, and looked at them.

“Is something else wrong? Please tell me. Tell me, I want to know.”

“Oh, it’s nothing Jiyeon. Don’t worry. You just focus on getting better. We will be right here, next to you, until you are fully recovered. Just think of us as your Kikwang pro-temp.” IU hit Wooyoung in the stomach, as if he said something that he wasn’t supposed to.

“Kikwang pro-temp? Why pro-temp? Where is the real Kikwang?” They were about to say something, anything, before the doctor came in.

“If you kids don’t mind, i have some business with Miss. Park; if you wouldn’t mind stepping out for a couple of minutes.”

“That’s no problem. We will go get some snacks and treats. Please take care of her doctor!” IU and Wooyoung bowed and stepped out of my hospital room.

“Is something wrong with me?” I started the conversation, as the doctor closed the door behind him. For some reason, I didn’t like where this conversation was going.

“I have something here for you Miss. Park. This is something Mr. Lee Kikwang wanted me to hand you personally. I will leave now, and your friends should take a while so please, read this carefully. I will be back later tonight to check your progress. Until then.” he bowed and left the room. After he shut the door, I tore open the envelope. Suddenly, the tears were back, but this time, they were for a different reason.

Dear Jiyeon,
I’m so sorry i’m not there, sitting next to you right now. It’s taking me everything I have to sit here and write this letter instead of telling you everything to your face. I was going to leave Korea quietly, once I knew you were safe under Yoseob’s protection, but that became impossible after the accident. As you probably have been told, Yoseob died the night I rescued you from your kidnapper. I saw him that night while I was waiting for you to get examined. He was dying and made it a state of urgency to make me see him. He wanted to make sure YOU were alright. He was thinking about YOU up until his death. I assured him that you were fine, even though I myself didn’t know your state of health. But I couldn’t watch my best friend die and tell him his girlfriend was also dying. I had to lie, and i’m sorry to him for that. But, now that you are reading this, I know you are alive. And although you might not be fully recovered yet, I know you will be soon because you are the strong and powerful Park Jiyeon. You will manage to rise again, that I am sure of.
Like i mentioned in the beginning, I was going to leave Korea. And up until the day of my flight, I was contemplating whether I should leave or not. But I knew I had to do what was best for myself and for you. I couldn’t bear looking at you after having watched my best friend die right before my eyes. By looking at you, I would be falling more in love with you by the second, and that wouldn’t be fair to Yoseob. My love for you is uncontrollable, and that scares me. I did this for you because I couldn’t process the idea of burdening you even more with my emotions and my selfishness. I knew you needed this time to process and rethink everything you know about this world, and I would only get in the way of that. You might be thinking “Kikwang, you’re stupid,” but if you look past that idea of me comforting you at this time, I wouldn’t be able to do anything else for you then just get in the way. So I left. But not forever. I’m coming back for you Jiyeon, and hopefully by then, you will forgive me for what I have done to you, and will embrace me with open arms. I’ll miss you, but I know that your family and friends will do a better job of taking care of you then I would have.
I love you Jiyeon, and you don’t know how happy I am that you survived. If you had died, I would have died with you. My love for you is so strong, that I would risk anything just to be by your side. So please, wait for me until I return. But if you can’t, I understand. Love is something that changes constantly, but I want you to know, my love for you is now and forever. Please take care of yourself.
Love your best friend and first love,
Lee Kikwang.

 


I hadn’t been awake for more than two hours when 2 big bombs hit me.
1. Yoseob died.
2. Kikwang was gone.

No words could describe the pain of losing one love, and now I had managed to lose two in the matter of hours. Is this what love really was? Only heartache with a few old, but good, memories? Was having loved worth my time? Or was it wasted...

I continued to cry over my first love, my lost love, my old love, and my new love. And as time went on, I knew I had to as well.

I won’t promise to wait, because promises are meaningless words that this world seems to take for granted. I don’t know what will happen in an hour, let alone a week, or month, or year. Time is unpredictable. But as long as my heart doesn’t change over time, and as long as i am here in this world, Kikwang, I will always love you.



*4 years later*

Jiyeon’s P.O.V
 

It is amazing how ones life can change in a world revolving around one thing, time. Time is the essence of existence. It keeps us on track; it allows us to forgive, and to forget; it helps us; and it hurts us; but overall, time allows us to heal.

4 years have passed since my accident. That’s 1,460 days, 35,040 hours, 2,102,400 seconds. And not once, since time has past, have I not thought about him. I wanted to be back in his embrace, because in his arms, did I truly feel protected from this world. But, now, I don’t know where he is, what he’s doing, when or even if he is going to come back. 4 years have passed, and not once do I wish to be anywhere but by his side.

However, these were thoughts of loneliness, I only thought about him when I wasn’t preoccupied with school, work or my family. But that doesn’t mean that these thoughts didn’t have a strong affect on me, because they did. But slowly, after 2 years of him being a no-show, I began to adapt. I returned to an independent Jiyeon, someone who didn’t wait around by the door, hoping that her true love would come back for her. If Kikwang wanted to come back, he would have when he found out I had woken up that day, 4 years ago. I needed to stop living in a fantasy and start living my life. Although I wanted Kikwang to be a part of it, there is a time where one just has to let go. Time heals all wounds right? This wouldn’t be an exception.

It was winter time, which meant winter break from my last year at Seoul University

“Jiyeon! Over here!” IU called from the table where her and Wooyoung sat and drank hot chocolate. Did I forget to mention that these two got engaged a month ago? Such a cute couple. I made my way to the table, and quickly sat down.

“Jiyeon, we finally decided on our wedding date!” An excited IU squealed.

“Chincha!!?? When is it?” I was happy these two had found each other. There was nothing but love in their eyes when they looked at each other. Seeing them together only made me miss him more.

“Next christmas!”

“Really!? Omo! Congratulations!” I was happy that my two best friends were happy, but a part of me felt extremely jealous.

“That’s not it.” Wooyoung said, it looked like something was up...

“There’s more? Please don’t tell me you’re pregnant. Or god so help me Wooyoung I will make sure this is your first and last baby!”

“Calm down Jiyeon! I’m not pregnant. But...” IU looked hesitant to speak. As if what she was going to say would hurt me in some way.

“But what?” I was getting scared now.

“But...”

“Hey guys, i’m here! Oh, you must be Jiyeon! It’s nice to finally meet you. I’ve heard a lot of good things about you!” There was a boy, around my age, standing in front of me. He was tall and good looking...and his smile...it reminded me of someone.. Who was this person, and how did he know my name?

“I’m sorry, who are you?”

“Oh, sorry. My name is JB and I’m Wooyoung’s friend from college...I thought this was a...”

“YES! This is the perfect place for A get together! PLEASE SIT DOWN.” Now I know what this REALLY is. IU, you fail to trick me. Another blind date. That makes it the 5th one this month and it’s only mid december! But this one is kind of cute...

“Yes please sit down. I have to leave now anyways, but enjoy getting caught up and all. And congratulations again you two! We’ll talk more about this later” I nudged IU, and she got the hint that I was upset with her.

“It was nice meeting you.” I said as I extended my hand out to JB.

“same here” he responded.

I made my way out of the cafe and into the street. The ground was filled with snow, and the streets were as empty as you were going to see them on a winter’s day. There was one thing I had to do before the day was over, and that was to visit him.

I made my way to the bus station and sat for a good 2 hours before I arrived at my destination. The beginning to snow, and I only had a limited amount of time, but I needed to go to him and vent out my frustrations. At least he would listen to me...not like he really had a choice.

I made my way up the steep hills, the scenery was gloomy and depressing, but once I talked to him, it felt like nothing else really mattered. I finally found him, and sat down next to him.

“Yoseob oppa, i’m back again. It’s been awhile, hasn’t it? I’m sorry, they don’t give me enough breaks in college. I’ve tried my best, and I hope you’re not made with me. If it’s any consolation, I miss you like crazy. But you know that, don’t you..”

I suddenly heard a sound, maybe footsteps, but that was to be expected I guess. it was a cemetary after all.

“He still hasn’t come back yet. I don’t know where he is actually. It’s been 4 years and no one has heard from him, or at least, no one will tell me. I thought you said you would punish us if we weren’t standing next to each other? I guess you’re not keeping your end of our bargain. I fought for my life, now where is he? I miss him, but it’s like he doesn’t even care....I should forget about him, right?” There was no response. I was waiting for a response from a pile of straw.

“IU and Wooyoung introduced me to another boy today. He was actually pretty cute this time. Maybe i’ll ask Wooyoung for his number...Is it time for me to give up Yoseob?” The atmosphere was silent. I could hear the snow hitting the snow underneath my feet. why was i still waiting for a response? I was about to speak when.

“No. Don’t give up.” I was shocked. No one usually comes to this side of the cemetery..I turned to me left, past the big stack of straw, and saw someone I wasn’t expecting...

“Kikwang...”

“Yoseob told me his answer to your question, and the answer is no. Don’t give up.” He slowly got up and walked towards my side. I stood up and wiped the snow off the back of my pants. My heart raced, I didn’t know what to expect.

“If you haven’t given up on me already, don’t start now.” Now that I was looking at him, face to face, the tears began to well up in my eyes.

“Why are you back?” I wasn’t going to let him think that his sudden appearance was okay with me. I crossed my arms and stared at his eyes.

“I’m back for you. So, don’t give up on me now Jiyeon.”

“You left me here, alone. Why can’t I give up pain to be happy again.”

“Because that pain, is pain we share, together. You won’t be happy with anyone else, and I can’t live or love with anyone else but you. Not a day went by over the past four years that I didn’t think about you. Everywhere I went, and every corner I turned, there you were. The guilt of having left you here to fend for yourself ate me alive everyday. I wanted to come back. But I needed to become someone you would be proud of. Someone who you could trust and love. I needed to become better, and I wasn’t going to come back the old Kikwang who had torn your heart apart so many times. I’m sorry Jiyeon, I am truly, honestly, very sorry for loving you and leaving you.”

Words were escaping me at that moment. I could tell he was genuinely regretful of everything that had happened 4 years ago up until now. But why was my heart still hesitant to let him back in?

“So what are you saying. You expect me to trust you, after..” Suddenly, he pulled me into his embrace, the embrace I had been dreaming of for the past 4 years; now being in it, I didn’t want to leave it ever again.

“I’m here now Jiyeon, for now, and forever. Whether time slows down or speeds up, i’m going to be your constant and never change. I’m sorry it took so long, but i’m here. Loving you more than I loved you when I left this place. Please, accept my heart.” I pulled away in order to look at his face. He hadn’t changed one bit in 4 years.

“Only on one condition?” If i didn’t do this now, then I would regret it for the rest of my life. When would be the last time Kikwang agreed he messed up? keke

“Wh--” I pressed my lips onto his, all the emotional build up from 4 years was placed into that one kiss. As the kiss deepened, so did my realization that life without him, after this, would become unbearable. His hands wrapped around my waist as i pulled my hands to embrace his neck. I needed him, and I wasn’t going to let him go ever again. Suddenly, my foot hit the root of a tree and we tumbled onto the snow. I was now on top of him, laughing.  

“haha oww, my lips!” I let out, not able to control my laughter. I laid there hugging him.

“This is all I’ve ever wanted.” He let out, as he brushed the hair out of my face.

I saw his eye smile appear once more, the reason why I had fallen in love with him in the first place. Suddenly, it felt like time had stopped, and I was okay with that.

Time can heal most wounds, but not all of them; Time can help you fall in love, or out of love; It’s how you deal with time that makes the end to your own story.

“Kikwang”

“Yeah?”

“Saranghae.”

“Nado, saranghae Jiyeon.”

He pulled me closer, and after that, he never let go. Not once.

 


The End.

 

 

 


My Dear Subbies,

Here it is. The end of Time. I would like to thank all of you who subscribed and followed this story from the beginning, as well as my new subscribers. I hope you all enjoyed the time with my characters and their story. I hope to see all of you in the future, and please continue to look out for my stories and updates! 

Thank you for all the support and comments- I love you all!

<3 Cutiepatootie

p.s. I hope you all aren't too mad about the ending! I know some of you were leaning towards one couple over the other, but this is the ending I thought would be right for this story! Please let me know what you thought!