Chapter 4 - Survive The Night

New World

 

 

6 symbols were lit up now. First were the two symbols that looked like birds.

 

“One of these is Kris’, I’m sure.” Tao said, pointing from one symbol to another.

 

“Mmm.” Kai nods. “Then this must be Suho’s…” he points at the glowing teardrop symbol.

 

“And this is Xiumin’s, most probably.” Kai points at the snowflake symbol. “I wonder whose these are.” He walks over to Baekhyun’s light symbol and Lay’s unicorn symbol.

 

“That one, the one that looks like a star, is probably Baekhyun’s. I remember him glowing so brightly in that brief moment I appeared before him. I’m pretty sure that’s his. And this,” he points at the flaming bird symbol, “is probably Chanyeol’s. It resembles a phoenix. For me.”

 

“Do you see a pattern? These symbols, they started glowing in pairs. And each pair is related. There’s water and ice. Then there’s this phoenix and this one… this one looks like a dragon. They’re both really strong mythological creatures.” Tao was going from one symbol to another.

 

“Then this star… and the unicorn… would represent light. Unicorns have always been a symbol of good, right?” Kai said, watching Tao jump from one symbol to another.

 

“Unicorns. They have healing properties, don’t they?” Tao asked.

 

“I guess.”

 

“This is Lay. He healed Chen’s wound back then. And I don’t think any of these other symbols would match healing powers.”

 

“Okay. So, that’s… Chanyeol, Suho and Baekhyun…”

 

“And Kris, Lay and Xiumin.”

 

“Your symbol and mine.” Kai said, his head was b with ideas and its as if his brain was putting puzzle pieces together.

 

“What about them?”

 

“You control time. And you have this symbol. This hourglass. I,” he walks over to his symbol. “I can teleport. Time and space. This must be why we’re here together.”

 

Tao was listening intently.

 

“I think our friends are paired up, too, somewhere. And somehow they’ve done something, something to trigger their symbols to glow.”

 

“But what?”

 

“I… don’t know.”

 


 

 

 

“Whoo-hoo!!” Chanyeol was shooting tongues of flame from his hands the moment he found out he had control over fire.

 

“Stop it! You’ll attract something!” Kris said, deep in thought. “I wont take you with me if you keep doing that!”

 

“Fine, fine. If you can fly, that means we can get out of here, right?”

 

“Yes, but where is here? And where would we go?”

 

“Anywhere is better than here, I’m sure.” Chanyeol made a ball of flame and tossed it high into the air.

 

“I told you, no more of that!”

 

“Relaaax. I’m just giving us some light.

 

It was dark now. The only source of light they’ve had for the last few minutes were from the two globes in the sky and Chanyeol’s fire exhibitions.

 

“You’re right. Anywhere is better than here.” Kris looked around. They were stranded on a mountaintop. There was nothing much they could do. “But we leave tomorrow. It’s too dark now. We don’t know what’s down there.”

 

“Ease up a bit! I control fire, remember? I’m pretty sure I can take on anything that will try and kill us!” Chanyeol smiled. It was a huge smile. Kris thought it made him look like a serial killer but at the same time, it eased him to see that smile. At least he wasn’t alone.

“So, we’re staying the night here?” Chanyeol asked, sitting down on the ground.

 

“I guess we are.” Kris looked at the floating flaming ball. “Is that going to hold the whole night?”

 

“Yup! I told it to.”

 

“You told it to?” Kris said, adding a dash of disbelief in his tone.

 

“Yes.” Chanyeol smiled. “Don’t worry about it.”

 

“Okay. Okay… We leave the first thing tomorrow, then. Good night…”

 

“Good night, Krees.”

 

“It’s Kris.”

 

“That’s what I said.”

 

Kris rolled his eyes and lay down in the ground with a tiny smile on his face.

 

 


 


 

 

 

“Did you ever notice the lights don't move?” Kai asked.

 

“What do you mean?”

 

“Well, I think we’ve been here a good couple of hours, then that means the day should have moved on. But the light says otherwise.”

 

“Maybe we’re not out in the open. This metal… box… we’re in might be inside some bigger building.” Tao sat back against the metal wall, looking exhausted.

 

“Hmm. I wonder if it’s night time already…?” Kai tried to look up at the holes but closed his eyes immediately as the light was too bright for his eyes.

 


 

 

“So, what have you got?” Sehun asked, poking the bonfire they’d made with a stick.

 

Luhan was nose deep into the map they had found on the table.

 

“Nothing much. I can’t see very well with this kind of light. The fire is making the map dance in shadows!”

 

“Such bad eye sight for someone so young!” Sehun said, smiling.

 

“Hey, I’m older than you! You should respect me as your ge ge!” Luhan replied, laughing.

 

“Older? You’re 15, aren’t you?” Sehun put down his stick and looked at Luhan. His face illuminated by the firelight. He looked like a kid. Surely he’s joking, Sehun thought.

 

“15? That’s a little too much! I’m 21!” Luhan folded the map and inserted it into his jacket pocket.

 

“21! You’re joking!” Sehun’s mouth formed an ‘o’ and he couldn’t help but laugh.

 

“I’m serious! My birth year is 1990!”

 

“You’re serious?” Sehun stared Luhan straight in the eyes. Luhan saw this as a sort of challenge and stared back at him.

 

“Yes. I’m serious.” Luhan tried to sound as serious as possible, but the situation made him snicker.

 

They stared at each other for good minute. Luhan took this opportunity to take in everything he could see. Sehun’s eyes. His nose. His hair, how it covered his forehead and eyebrows. His lips. Luhan managed to keep his face straight, but deep inside, his chest was pounding like crazy. Little did he know, Sehun was taking in everything as well.

 

Sehun scanned Luhan’s face like this was the only time he could. It could be, actually… he thought. He took in the baby face in front of his eyes. His eyes, the way his lips were trembling at the sides. Sehun knew he was going to win this stare-off.

 

Luhan blinked.

 

“You lose.”

 

“Ah!..” Luhan purposely blinked. He knew he couldn’t keep up his façade anymore. His cheeks were going to give his feelings away. He was surprised how fast he feels connected to this boy. A boy he just met.

 

“But, I guess I believe you.” Sehun said.

 

“You do?”

 

“Yes. I saw age lines.” Sehun smiled and put his tongue out at Luhan.

 

“I don’t have age lines!!” But Sehun just laughed continued to poke fun at Luhan.

 

“You’re mean!” Luhan said, pouting.

 

“I’m your junior! I have the right to be!” Sehun smiled and walked over to where Luhan was. He crouched down and put an arm around Luhan’s shoulder.

 

Luhan felt his heart skip a beat the moment Sehun touched him. He dared not face the boy. He knew his face must be as red as a tomato, no help to the firelight.

 

“I’m going ahead to sleep. You don’t mind putting out the fire, do you?” he could feel Sehun was smiling behind him.

 

“Y-yeah. Sure.” Luhan nodded to himself. Sehun let go of him and he let out a sigh.

 

He turned around to see Sehun taking off his shoes and getting inside the futon.

 

I don’t like anyone else in my bed…Luhan thought. But, somehow… I don’t mind this time.

 

He shakes his head as if to shake the thought away. Then he started kicking dirt into the fire until the embers died away. Then it was dark again, save for the faint white light the two moons bathed them in.

 

He made his way to the futon, took off his shoes and slid beside Sehun in bed.

 


 

This is more like a filler chapter. XD Just for fun! But, it's also a necessary chapter for the upcoming chapters!! I hope you guys like this. smileysmileysmiley