Chapter 2 - Surprises

New World

 

 

Endless fields of grass and mountain peaks, that’s all Luhan can see. Sehun and him have decided they should at least start walking. Where? They don’t know. But they needed to go somewhere. They needed to find their friends.

 

“Do you think we’ll reach a town, or a village, soon?” Sehun said, lagging behind Luhan a little.

 

“A village…” Luhan said, lost in thought. “I don’t think we’ll find any villages, or towns, or cities here.”

 

“Why not?” Sehun catches up to his new friend and walks side by side with him.

 

Luhan looks up at the sky and points at what looked like the moon. Sehun follows his pointed finger and squints.

 

“The moon is out during the day. That’s normal.”

 

“Yeah, but…” Luhan then turns to his right and points at another globe in the sky. “Isn’t that another moon…?”

 

Sehun looks at what Luhan is pointing at and sees that, sure enough, there was another faint white globe in the sky.

 

“Two moons… What does that mean?”

 

“It means we might not be on our own planet Earth anymore.” Luhan could feel his chest tighten. This predicament he’s in, no, they’re in, is serious. He could lie and tell himself this was a stage set up of some reality TV show that somehow managed to abduct them but what he saw with his own eyes back at Kris’ flat room were not special effects. The way he could read Sehun’s mind, know what he was going to say even before he said it, was not a lie.

 

“Not on Earth.” Sehun repeated. Luhan heard the slight tremble in his voice.

 

Sehun felt Luhan’s hand rest on his shoulder and he looked at his new friend.

 

“But that’s just a theory I made up!” Luhan said, laughing. “I heard in the television yesterday that there was some sort of planet alignment. You know about it, right?”

 

Sehun nodded. “Yeah, I guess.” And he smiled. Luhan liked seeing that smile. He made a mental note in his head to make Sehun smile more often.

 

“So, let’s go. Before it turns dark. We’ve got a long way to go.”

 

“Okay.” And they continued their march.

 

 

 

 

Someone was shaking him awake. And the person isn’t being gentle about it. Annoyed, Kris opens his eyes and was greeted by the filthy taste of sand in his mouth. His face was pressed against the ground. What was he doing face down on the ground, he thought.

 

“Hey, wake up! Please!”

 

Kris pushes himself up, almost jumping. He got to his feet and looked around quickly.

 

All he could see were clouds and mountain peaks. Lots of mountain peaks. And then there was the boy who was waking him up.

 

“Who are you and where are we?” Kris said. His face showed no signs of any positive emotion at all. His eyebrows were furrowed and his mouth was a line across his face.

 

“Thank God, you’re awake. I have this fear of heights and I have no idea how we ended up here.”

 

He talked really fast. His hair was frizzy, but styled. His smile was huge and his voice didn't match his face. It was deep, while his face suggested otherwise.

 

“You didn’t answer my question.”

 

“Ah…” the boy stood up and dusted himself. “My name is Chanyeol. I don’t really know where we are… and how we got here.”

 

“I’m Kris.”

 

“Kris. So, uhm, do you happen to know how to get down from here…? A plane, perhaps?”

 

He really talks fast. Kris looked him from head to toe. He noticed his stance was unstable and his legs were slightly shaking.

 

“If I knew, I wouldn’t have asked you where we were.”

 

He’s scary, thought Chanyeol. But he’s all he’s got right now.

 

“So, there’s no way down. You’re sure? No hidden pathway?”

 

“I’ve combed the whole area, after I tried waking you up the first time.” He then reached inside both his pockets. “I found these, though.”

 

He produced two slabs of stone from his pockets. They were light and on the face of the slabs were etched symbols, one on each stone.

 

“I don't think they’ll help, though.” He handed them out to Kris and Kris took them then he immediately examined them.

 

A bird…? Kris flipped both stones over and found nothing on the other side. Then memories of what happened flashed before him. The feeling of being as light as a feather. He was floating. Lay and Tao tried to bring him back to the ground but they couldn’t.

 

“What do you think…? Can we use it somehow…?” Chanyeol’s voice interrupted his train of thoughts.

 

“Huh? What?” Kris shook his head and looked at the stone slabs in his hands.

 

“Will those things help?”

 

Kris ignored his question and asked a question in return.

 

“Did… did something weird happen before you found yourself stuck here?” As soon as Kris finished his question, Chanyeol’s expression turned grim. “Something weird happened, am I right?”

 

“Yes. I… I burst into flames. All of a sudden, my whole body was engulfed in flames. I thought I was going to die, but due to shock I didn’t realize that the flames didn’t hurt me. They didn’t burn.”

 

“Fire, huh…” Kris was deep in thought again. He remembered vaguely Xiumin freezing his flat wall. Ice. He remembered Lay healing Chen’s wound. Healing. He remembered Chen discharging electricity. Lightning. Childish as it might be to be thinking of this, this is the only path of reason he could follow in his mind.

 

“How did you know something happened? Did the same thing happen for you?” Chanyeol asked.

 

“Yes, to me and my friends. Then everything went dark. The next thing is I find myself being woken up by you.”

 

“So, what happened to you?”

 

“I flew. I guess I acquired flight.” The moment he finished his sentence, the etched symbol of one of the stones began to glow a light blue. Kris dropped it in surprise. Both he and Chanyeol stared at the stone slab. Kris backed away from it.

 

The slab continued glowing and then it shot a ray of light up into the sky. After a few seconds, the ray died down and the stone returned to its normal state.

 

“What just… happened..?” Chanyeol didn’t realize he was already clutching Kris’ arm.

 

“I don’t know.” Kris, sort of gently, removed Chanyeol’s hand off his arm and cautiously approached the slab. It was the one with a sort of half dragon symbol etched on it. He picks it up and examines it one more time. His fingers felt indentations at the back of the stone now, instead of the smooth surface it once had. Kris flips it over and there were new etches on the back.

 

KRIS . FLIGHT . EXO-M

 

“Kris. Flight.”

 

“What?” Chanyeol hurries over and looks at the slab of stone. “Hey, it’s got your name on it. And… flight… That’s what you said you had. Does that mean…” He grabs the other stone slab from Kris and looks at the symbol. It looked like a bird. But now that he focused on it and used his imagination a bit, it looked like the bird was on fire. Like, a phoenix.

 

“What’re you doing?” Kris said, but Chanyeol had already did what he intended to do.

 

“Fire.” He said, loud and clear, and the symbol started to glow just like the previous one. He drops it to the ground and runs away. Kris backs away, too.

 

The same beam of light shoots to the sky and then after a while, vanishes. Chanyeol hurriedly runs towards the stone and checked the back.

 

CHANYEOL . FIRE . EXO-K

 

He looks up at Kris and beams him a smile.

 


 

 

It was starting to get dark. Luhan and Sehun has walked for miles but it looked like there was no hope. All around them, the grassland stretched far and wide.

 

“Luhan…” Sehun was sweating heavily. “I can’t take another step.”

 

“I agree.” Luhan dropped to the ground. The sky was orange now, painting everything an orange hue. He looks around and spots a small clearing of some sort. There was a dead tree in the middle of it. Convenient, Luhan thought. “Let’s head over there, Sehun. We can start a fire and stay there for the night. We can continue walking tomorrow.”

 

“Okay.”

 

They both made their way for the clearing and the dead tree. It wasn’t too far. Once they arrived, they found that the clearing was full of stones. And below the tree was a table.

 

“A table…” Luhan whispered. Sehun looked up and saw it, too. They both hurried over to it and saw several things on top.

 

“Is that a… map..? And, there’s a notebook here. A telescope…” Sehun started rummaging through the things on the table and then picked up the telescope and looked through it. “These things will help us, Luhan!”

 

“They definitely will. Look, there’s a futon here, too. There’s a blanket. And some jackets… and a… wooly aviator hat…”

 

“I call dibs on the hat!” Sehun put down the telescope and bounded towards Luhan, snatching the hat from him and then putting it on. “How do I look?”

 

Ah, there’s that smile again. Luhan gazed at him for a few seconds before answering.

 

“You look great!”

 

“You really think so?” Sehun smiled and returned to the table. Luhan returned his attention to the futon and decided he had better start setting up before it got totally dark.

 

After a few minutes, he had set the futon and blankets by the tree and collected some of the tree’s dead branches for a fire.

 

“Do you know how to start a fire?” Luhan asked, holding two sticks in both his hands.

 

“Nope.”

 

“Good thing I do, then.” Luhan smiled, then, and Sehun felt his cheeks get hotter. He was surprised by his reaction and immediately put his hands on his cheeks.

 

“Bug?” Luhan asked, worried.

 

“Y-yeah. Bug.” There was very little visibility by now. The sky has turned a dark purple hue. The two moons hanging in the sky grew brighter by the minute. Sehun retrieved the map from the table and returned to sit by Luhan’s side.

 

“I think I got it!” Luhan was vigorously rubbing two sticks together and it looked like a fire was about to start.

 

“Here, let me help.” Sehun crouched down and blew onto the sticks. The amount of wind he made was bigger than expected and the sticks immediately caught fire.

 

“Wow, those are some lungs!”

 

Sehun felt his cheeks grow red again. This time out of embarrassment.

 

“There.” Luhan threw the burning sticks into the pile of branches he had collected earlier and started fanning the flames with the notebook from the table. He looked at Sehun, who was sitting next to him, and smiled. Sehun felt his heart skip a beat, just a little, then smiled back.