Chapter 17 - So Near Yet So Far

New World

[A/N]

 

Guys, to make up for the very short updates... Here's an extremely long one. This is probably the longest I've written. Word count: 2870. I hope you guys like it. There's action on it now. So, I hope it excites you guys!!


Here goes!

 


 

 

“So, you’re saying Majesty is in trouble?” Chanyeol whispered to Kris. He then looks at King. “We have to go back and help!”

 

King responds with a series of barks.

 

“Why can’t I understand him anymore!?” Chanyeol asked.

 

Kris shrugged and explained what King said.

 

“He says we should forge on and find Kai. It’s the fastest way to get back to Majesty.”

 

“How are we going to find Kai?”

 

“King knows where they are.”

 

“And that is where?”

 

King barked and woofed.

 

“He says they’re only a few ways off behind this robot camp. All we have to do is get through the camp and head straight and we’ll be able to reach the camp Kai and the others are infiltrating.”

 

Chanyeol thought about the plan King suggested and decided it was crazy. How would they ever get through this camp quickly?

 

“I better wake the others up and let them in on this.” Chanyeol said.

 

He proceeded to wake Baekhyun first then Tao. Chen and Suho were a bit cranky after being woken up so soon. All of them were alert as soon as they found out King was with them. When they were all around King, Kris began explaining everything.

 

“So, we’re not waiting for daylight anymore?” Baekhyun asked. “My invisibility trick will work better during daylight. But, I guess with the light from two moons, it would still be okay to do at night. Just a bit more difficult for me.”

 

“Why can’t we understand King anymore?” Tao asked, rubbing his eyes sleepily.

 

“Probably because Luhan isn’t here to provide us a psychic link to King’s mind.” Suho answered. “Although I’m not sure why Kris can still understand him.”

 

“Probably because Kris-Ge is an animal.” Chen said plainly. Everyone stared at him for his comment. “What? He’s a dragon! Maybe it’s part of his skill to understand other animals!”

 

“He has a point.” Chanyeol said.

 

Everyone settled on the plan that instead of sabotaging the whole base camp, they would instead go through it undetected. Their first priority was to get Kai and the others and get back to Majesty.

 

“You guys ready?” Baekhyun asked. Everyone nodded. “Stick close to me and don’t make a sound. I will be telling everyone which way to go so that no one goes out of the boundaries of my magic.”

 

After a few seconds of arm waving, Baekhyun had reconstructed the coat of invisibility around them and made it mobile.

 

“Okay, forward.” Baekhyun commanded. They all followed.

 



 

 

The boys arrive behind the warehouse D.O had described a while ago. It was clear. There were no robots. The boys could hear movement inside the huge warehouse in front of them, though.

 

About three stories high, there were square windows.

 

“I’m going to teleport up there. Luhan, can you make me some sort of psychic platform I can step on? I’ll check how it is in there.” Kai directed. Luhan nodded.

 

When Kai disappeared and reappeared high above them, Luhan created a platform of psychic energy right underneath him. Kai peered into the window and saw inside the warehouse. After scanning the interior all he could, he teleports back down to the group.

 

“Okay, there are a lot, and I mean A LOT, of robots inside. Just like Kyungsoo said. We’re going to have to be really careful.”

 

“What do we do? Do we trash the place? We don’t have enough offensive power, in my opinion.” Lay said, worried about how they would defend themselves against a legion of robots that were capable of stripping away their powers and bombarding them with fire and lightning and whatnot.

 

“True. All we really have as attackers are D.O and Xiumin and Luhan.” Kai said. “Against all of the robots I saw inside, I don’t see how we can possibly save Sehun.”

“Maybe we can use a decoy. Kai, did you see anywhere inside we can teleport and not be seen? Anything.” Luhan asked.

 

“What have you got in mind?” D.O asked in return.

 

“Well, much like how I can create platforms out of psychic energy, I think I can make decoys.”

 

“Elaborate?” Xiumin said, eyebrows raised. Kai was listening intently.

 

“Well, I can make sort of holographic images of us. The robots will think it’s the real us and I’ll have them chase after the fake ones. Ones the coast is clear, we can drop in and save Sehun.”

 

“A good plan. This might work.” Kai said. Everyone else bobbed their heads in agreement.

 

“Anyone else have a better plan?” Lay asked the others. With everyone shaking their heads, Lay finalized their plan. “Okay, we’re sticking with Luhan’s plan. Kai. Did you see any place we could possibly hide inside?”

 

“I can’t remember. Let me check again. Luhan?”

 

Kai disappears and Luhan creates another platform for him. Luhan helps him look by seeing through Kai’s eyes.

 

“There! A platform high up! Where the lights are!” Kai said. He reappeared below and they all finalized their plan.

 

“While I’m making the decoys, I’m going to need a lot of concentration. I want you guys to look for Sehunnie…” Luhan stopped and his face turned red. “Sehun… while I’m doing my thing. Okay?”

 

 Everyone nodded.

 

“One more thing.” Kai said quickly. “Kyung, I need you to check for hidden cameras within the building. There might be drones hidden all over the place. We don’t want them sneaking up on us again.”

 

“Got it.” D.O backed out of the group and breathed in deep. He stomped his foot on to the ground, sending a wave of seismic energy outward. Once he received the information sent back by the waves, he confirmed that there were no drones or cameras inside the building.

 

“Let’s do this.” Xiumin said enthusiastically.

 

“Let’s go.” Kai held hands with the boys and they disappeared once more in a puff of smoke.

 



 

 

 

King and Kris had led the boys more than halfway across the basecamp without encountering any robots. With King’s sense of smell and Kris’ heightened senses, they managed to evade any patrolling robots. King confirmed that they were almost out of the base.

 

“So far so good.” Chanyeol whispered. “We should have done this in the very beginning!”

 

“Problem is, we were originally sent here to trash the place.” Chen said.

 

“Point taken.”

 

“Guys, stop.” Kris said. Everyone stopped moving in unison, having gotten used to taking commands from him the past few minutes. “Something’s not right.”

 

King put his nose up in the air, sniffing. Kris told everyone to be silent so he could pick up any signs of movement.

 

In the distance, Kris could hear movement. A lot of it.

 

“Something’s happening somewhere over there, in that general direction. King?” Kris asked for confirmation.

 

King let out low barks and woofs.

 

“Guys, that’s where the exit is. King can smell a lot of robots.” Kris translated. “We might be encountering trouble after all.”

 

“We can do this. If it comes to a fight, we’ll be more than ready this time.” Chanyeol said.

 

“The last time they caught us by surprise, but this time we have the upper hand.” Chen added.

 

“I’d rather we avoid fighting, but if we are going to face an army of highly deadly robots we’re all going to have to be careful.” Kris said.

 

“Don’t worry, Gege. We can do this.” Tao said, putting a hand on Kris’ shoulder.

 

“How will King fight, though?” Suho asked.

King started shaking his head and barked.

 

“He says he can’t. We’ll have to do it.” Kris said.

 

“Okay, let’s start moving.” Baekhyun urged. The group started moving again, this time slower and more careful.

 

The movements Kris heard earlier was getting louder the nearer they got to the exit. King also confirmed that the machines were plentiful. He barked three times.

 

“He says we might have been found out. That’s why they’re gathering at the exit.” Kris said.

 

“How?” Chanyeol asked.

 

Suho looked around. The buildings on both sides of them were tall and dark. He could not see anything that could have given them away. Then he looked behind them and he slapped his forehead with his palm.

 

“Guys…” he groaned, pointing at their footprints on the ground.

 

Kris cursed under his breath.

 

“How could we have been so stupid!?” he said, mimicking Suho’s face-palm.

 

“Hey, we shouldn’t dwell on that anymore. The robots probably think we don’t know that they know about us. That’s an advantage right there. We can still turn this around on them.” Chen said. “I’ve got an idea.”

 



 

 

The boys appear above the robots, landing on the platform Kai saw during his sneak peek of the warehouse. The robots below were patrolling around the warehouse, as if they were expecting the boys to appear.

 

“Guys, it’s Sehun!” Lay whispered urgently, pointing towards one side of the warehouse.

 

There were large vats, containers, lined up on that side of the warehouse. Sehun, unconscious, was being dragged towards one of them. A robot inputted something on a screen and the glass vat opened. Sehun was flung inside. As soon as Sehun was inside, the glass container closed. Robotic arms came down from above the container and clamped onto Sehun’s wrists. They retracted until Sehun was upright, his arms outstretched on both sides.

 

Luhan made an action to go to Sehun’s rescue but Kai and Xiumin stopped him before he could do anything rash.

 

“Luhan, you need to do your part of the plan. That way, we can save Sehun faster.” Kai said urgently. “I know seeing this must be hard for you. It is for me, too, but we need to do this in order to save him. Please, hyung.” Kai said pleadingly.

 

“Keep an eye on him. Make sure he’s safe.” Luhan said coldly, turning his back on the scene. He then sat down and closed his eyes.

 

Kai and the others kept watch around Luhan. Lay could still see what was happening to Sehun.

 

A horizontal light, like a laser, scanned Sehun’s whole body. After it went up and down on Sehun, the boy’s clothes disappeared, leaving him inside the container. Lay’s eyes bulged as it happened. He thought it was better not to tell Luhan or Kai about it. He saw another thing drop down from the container. A mask. It automatically attached itself onto Sehun’s head, covering his mouth and nose. Then the vat started to fill up with a greenish kind of liquid. Lay looked at Luhan, who was still sitting down, concentrating.

 

‘Any time, now…’ Lay thought to himself. The water got higher and higher until it completely filled the vat. Sehun was floating inside the container now.

 

“Okay, guys, I’m ready.” Luhan said. Seconds after his statement, they heard the robots below had started moving. Luhan’s decoys have appeared.

 

Near the entrance of the warehouse, clones of the boys had appeared, much like how they would have appeared if Kai teleported them inside, with black smoke around them.

 

‘Luhan, you are a genius!’ Lay thought, seeing the display below.

 

The robots began forming a semi-circle around the clones. Then they all fired their ammunitions. There were different kinds of robots. Some shot bolts of lightning, others shot tongues of flame, others shot lasers and others missiles and bullets. Luhan made the clones teleport behind the robots and made them pretend to retaliate. The flame thrower wielding robots shot at the clones and Luhan made them teleport again, outside this time. The robots saw the clones through a hole they had created from their previous assault. They made chase. Luhan made the clones run around outside.

 

“Guys…” Luhan said, obviously strained. “I can’t leave the clones alone. I have to keep concentrating or else all those robots are going to realize they’re fakes and come back here.” Luhan had his eyes closed shut and sweat was trickling down his forehead.

 

“Understood. We’re going to be really quick, Luhan.” Kai scanned the floor below them. Not all of the robots had left. There were still a few guarding Sehun. A few that he knew they could easily overpower.

 

“D.O, you handle those five. Xiumin, those. I’ll take care of the two nearest Sehun’s cell.” Kai instructed, pointing at the robots below them. “I’m going to teleport us in the middle, so get your bearings straight. Ready” Kai asked.

 

“Ready.” Both D.O and Xiumin replied.

 

Kai took their hands and disappeared in a puff of smoke.

 

“Yeah, I’ll just.. stay here…” Lay said to himself. “I’m just kidding, LuLu! I won’t leave your side!”

 

The three boys appeared in the spot Kai had mentioned. Catching the robots off guard, D.O managed to take down the five robots fairly quickly. The floor was still made of earth. He created a dome around the five robots and compressed it, crushing the five robots inside before they could react. Xiumin shot a ray of ice towards the three he was assigned to. He managed to freeze two but the third managed to escape and retaliate with a missile aimed at him. D.O quickly created a thick wall of earth between Xiumin and the missile. Kai had teleported as soon as he dropped D.O and Xiumin off. He teleported behind the two robots that guarded Sehun.

 

“This is for Sehun.” He said before touching both robots and teleporting outside, 100 feet into the sky. He left the two robots in the air, leaving them to their imminent destruction as they began to fall. In less than a second, Kai was back in front of Sehun’s container.

 

The missile collided with the shield of earth and exploded. Dust clouds formed rendering D.O and Xiumin unable to see clearly. D.O immediately commanded the dust to settle. As soon as it did, they both saw another missile whistling towards them. Xiumin reacted this time, freezing it in midair. The missile dropped like a stone onto the ground, completely frozen. D.O produced a spike of earth to spear the last remaining robot.

 

“Kai, you done!?” D.O said urgently. He could hear robots coming towards the hole in the entrance. He then proceeded to create a huge wall of earth to block the entrance, locking them in and the robots outside. This would at least buy them some time to free Sehun.

 

“I don't know what to do!” Kai said, looking at the screen with numbers and letters on them. “There’s a code of some sort needed!”

 

“Guys, how’s everything?” Lay shouted. He and Luhan were descending from the platform using Luhan’s psychic field.

 

“How’s Sehun?” Luhan saw the unconscious boy, now , and turned beet red. “Why is he !?” He blurted out.

 

“There’s no time for that. We need to open this thing! Fast!” Kai said urgently.

 

There were explosions now and cracks appeared on the wall of earth D.O had created.

 

“Anytime now, guys.” D.O reinforced his barricade by creating another wall.

 

“Can’t you teleport him out?” Xiumin suggested.

 

“Those things attached to his wrist. I need them off before I can teleport him out. If I teleported him with those still on, I’d bring the vat with me!” Kai said.

 

Then they heard a loud static sound and a voice resounded within the warehouse.

 

You cannot hope to stop us.

 

It was a woman’s voice.

 

“Us…?” Lay repeated, looking for the source of the voice.

 

We have already crippled your precious source of power and soon, this world will be under our rule.

 

A different voice. Still a girl.

 

It will only be a matter of time before we capture all of you. And then it will truly be the end.

 

“We can’t leave Sehun behind! Not when we’ve gotten this close to saving him!” Luhan said, banging at the glass container that kept his special someone.

 

“Luhan…” Kai started to say.

 

“No!” Luhan shouted back. “No, I’m not leaving him!” Tears were streaming down his eyes.

 

There was a stronger explosion this time and the reinforced walls of earth D.O had created crumbled. Kai spun around to see small robots skitter inside. D.O was about to create another wall when he felt Kai grab him by the shoulder. Kai managed to cover everyone in a hug. The robots shot something towards them. Kai teleported.

 

“No!” Luhan shouted, his face wet from crying. They were outside, back where they had started. Back to the entrance of the base. “Why did you leave him!?”

 

“Luhan…” Lay hugged the crying boy. “Shh... shh...." He tried to comfort him.

 

“We were so close… So close! Sehun…” Luhan continued to sob.

 

“It was the right thing to do. Although, it’s regrettable.” D.O said, trying to comfort Kai, who obviously looked like he was going to cry, too.

 

“Kai, what’s that on your back?” Xiumin said, noticing something lodged onto Kai’s shirt. He went towards Kai and examined it. It was circular in form and in the middle was a digital screen, and it had a countdown timer on it. “There’s a countdown timer!”

 

3…

 

“What?” Kai asked, panicking.

 

2…

 

“Take your shirt off!!” D.O said. Lay and Luhan looked up.

 

1…

 

Kai tried hastily to take his shirt off.

 

0.

 

Then he disappeared in a puff of black smoke, leaving the four boys alone.

 

[A/N]

 

Dun. Dun. Dun.

 

What happened to Kai? Will Sehun be okay? Who were the three voices they heard back in the warehouse? How will Luhan's team handle rescue now, now that they're down two people? Will Kris and the others be able to exit the basecamp unscathed? Will they be able to back the other boys up and rescue Sehun?

 

These questions will be answered in future updates!


I hope it wasn't too long! >< And I hope you guys liked it!! ^^v

Please keep expecting!! ^___^v And comments are much loved!!! :D