Chapter 15 - Hopes

New World

 

His vision was blurring, slowly but surely. He was being dragged really fast against the ground by the Eye Pod that had managed to wrap him with its energy- arm. He knew Luhan would have saved him no problem if it weren’t for another ambush attack at that clearing.

 

Luhan.

 

That was all he could think of. Of course, he’s thinking of his friends, too. But in his mind he had agreed to stay because of Luhan. For Luhan. He wanted to spend more time with him. He didn’t know he’d only be spending it with him for only a few hours. He sighed in between his grunts and groans as his body was dragged across the ground. Two more Eye Pods had approached him and guarded his left and right. A spider-like machine, the ones that had ambushed Luhan and Lay back at the clearing, took his rear. He was surrounded by machines and his energy was almost gone. His vision blurred even more. He uttered one last word before he closed his eyes and gave in, losing consciousness.

 

“Luhan…”

 


 

“Hurry up, guys.” Luhan led the group with Kai at his heels. The rest were trying to catch up with the both of them from behind.

 

“Over there. They turned there…” D.O. shouted in between breaths. He points at an alleyway that leads to the right. Luhan and Kai turn immediately, leaving the other three following close behind. As soon as they turn the corner, Kai and Luhan stop them with outstretched arms.

 

“Ssh..” Kai whispered, a finger to his mouth.

 

What lay ahead of them was completely different from the deserted metal salleyways they’ve been traversing a while ago. This time there were huge metal factories that were alive with activity. All around them, they could hear the machines moving, metal on metal. And unlike the deserted alleyways, this place they’ve found was teeming with machines. There were the usual Eye Pods. There were spider-like machines. There were robots that had what looked like cannons attached to their backs. Ones with huge metal claws. Ones with something that looked like round shields. There were a lot. Way more than what they’ve faced, way more than what they expected they would face. And to think they still weren’t even near the main heart of the base.

 

“Holy sh---…” D.O. breathed. “How are we,” he gestures at all of them. “supposed to beat that!?” he points at the army ahead of them.

 

Everyone was silent for a while. Luhan wasn’t paying attention to the number of machines in front of him. He was searching for Sehun among the sea of metals and bolts.

 

“We can’t do this.” Kai said. Luhan immediately looked at him, a look of disbelief in his face.

 

“What are you saying!?” Luhan almost shouted.

 

“We need a plan.” Kai said calmly. Luhan’s  expression softened.

 

“Oh…”

 

“He’s right. We can’t dive into this without planning ahead.” Lay seconded Kai’s suggestion. Xiumin nods fervently beside him.

 

“Let me try and see if I can….” D.O. closes his eyes and touches the ground. He breathes in, and then after a couple of seconds his eyes shoot open and he looks behind them. “They’re watching us!”

 

Xiumin immediately looks at the direction D.O. was looking at and saw three small machines attached to the side of the alley wall. They began to float off of the wall, moving their legs frantically, trying to escape.

 

Lay looks at Luhan, who was lifting the machines with his mind. Luhan had an expression of utter hatred and anger. Not long enough, the machines started exploding. Luhan left one intact.

 

“I was going to see how many there were in front of us by using seismic force. I got the idea from the thoughts you gave me, Luhan, about this girl who could see using the earth. Then I felt those three behind us.” D.O. explained.

 

“Genius.” Xiumin said.

 

“Why’d you leave one behind?” Kai asked, looking at the still whole machine.

 

“We can use it.” Luhan said plainly.

 


 

Chen yawns loudly.

 

“Sleepy?” Suho asked.

 

“I can still hold out ‘til our time’s up.” Chen said groggily.

“You’re sure?” Suho smiled as he looked at Chen.

 

“Yes, I’m sure.” Chen replied, not noticing Suho was looking at him. “What about you?” Chen looks at his partner. Suho immediately withdraws his stare and pretends to look at the sky.

 

“Me? No. I’m good. I’m used to staying up late.”

 

“Oh, okay.” Chen joins him in looking at the sky. “Look. The two moons are clearer now.”

 

“Yeah. Do you think they really will grant us protection?” Suho asked.

 

“Majesty said they don’t. So I doubt it.” Chen shrugged.

 

“But it would be nice, wouldn’t it? Believing something greater than yourself will protect you against bad things?”

 

“Maybe. But that would only let your guard down.”

 

“Hmm. I guess. What if…” Suho started to say but he was shushed by Chen whose hand was on his shoulder now.

 

“Shh… Look.” Chen pointed at three machines patrolling in front of them.

 

“Do you think they can see us?” Suho said through Chen’s hand on his mouth.

 

“I trust the cloak Baekhyun cast will work. Otherwise, they would have attacked us by now.” Chen whispered, keeping his eyes on the macines. They were slowly moving towards them. “Don’t. Make. A sound.”

 

Suho nods slowly. The machines were getting nearer and nearer until they were only a few feet from both boys. The machines’ robotic eyes were swiveling rapidly, scanning their surroundings. After a few seconds of scanning, the machines turned around and headed out another direction. When the both of them were sure the machines were out of earshot, they let out a deep sigh.

 

“That was close.” Suho said.

 

“Nerve wracking.” Chen added.

 

Just then, Kris wakes up and asks them what time it was.

 

“Just in time, actually, for you to take watch! Wake Tao up, too!” Chen said.

 

Kris rubs his eyes sleepily.

 

“No, let him sleep. I’ll cover for him. You two go get some sleep yourself.”

 

“Whatever floats your boat!” Chen shrugs and he and Suho lay down beside Tao on the ground. Kris took their place.

 

“Oh, yeah. The invisibility works just fine!” Chen said with a smile. Kris looks at him and smiles weakly, sleepily.

 

“Good to know.”

 

Kris sits idly as Chen and Suho drift off to sleep. He thinks about the situation they’re in and how they’re getting out of it. He then looks up at the moons and then closes his eyes. In the distance he hears something stir.

 

His eyes shoot open and instead of the usual black pupils, there were yellow slits instead and his vision was improved ten fold. In the distance he could make out the form of an animal.

 

Then Kris whispered under his breath.

 

“King…?”

 

 

[A/N]

 

Sorry this took so long guys. I got back home two days ago but then I got so busy afterwards. I was asked to judge a cosplay event (which I went to as Gongchan.. I wore his beautiful target MV tiger coat.. yes, I have the exact same one) and then my friends from another city came and I play host to one of them 'til tomorrow. I haven't had any proper sleep for days ever since the flight back from America. So I hope you forgive me...

Hope you like this chapter... I'm going to take a nap now... while waiting for them to finish talking and then I have to drive back home... gah..... 'til next time...