Chapter 14 - Another Night

New World

 

“Chanyeolliiieee!! Are you okay?” Baekhyun runs towards the older boy, arms wide open. He hugs the boy tight and tears are b in his eyes.

 

“Baekhyunnie! I’m okay! What happened to you being all reserved about us?” Chanyeol grins and rubs the smaller boy’s hair.

 

“I don’t care about it!” Baekhyun pouts.

 

“Guys, this is no time for that.” Suho breaks them up. “We have to look for somewhere to stay soon. Night’s almost upon us.”

 

“Suho is right. We’re inside enemy territory now so we can’t mess up, not like what just happened. They know we’re here. We’ll have to be alert.” Kris says.

 

“How are we going to survive the night in enemy territory?”  Tao asks.

 

“Guys, I’ve got an idea.” Baekhyun said with a smile.

 


 


 

 

Xiumin, Kai and D.O. run deeper and deeper into the heart of the base with Kai leading the way. D.O. sensed where Luhan and the others had gone using the earth. After a few more seconds of running, D.O. urged them to run a bit faster. They were near. They emerge into a clearing and they find Luhan on the ground, supported by Lay. There were scraps of metal everywhere, parts of machines torn into pieces. There must have been a battle.

 

“Who’s there!?” Lay shouted towards D.O.

 

“Lay! It’s us! What happened?” Xiumin immediately ran towards the pair and crouched down to check on Luhan. He was bleeding. “Luhan!! Is he okay?”

 

“He is. Minor scratch. There were other robots waiting for us here and caught us off guard. The pod that took Sehun managed… to escape.” Lay said silently. His hand was over Luhan’s arm, healing it.

 

“Sehun was…” Kai said slowly. “What do you mean he was taken!?” Kai exploded into a shout.

 

“Kai! This is not the time!” D.O. tried to calm him down but tears were slowly rolling down Kai’s eyes. “We all feel the same way.”

 

“Why couldn’t you save him!?” Kai directed his shout at Luhan. “I thought…” he was beginning to sob.

 

Luhan, in Lay’s arms, was quietly crying as well. When he felt that Lay had finished healing his arm, he wiped his eyes and began to stand up.

“Luhan, you don’t have to force yourself…” Lay said.

 

“No. I have to. I’m as good as new now.” Luhan said silently. He had trouble talking. There was a lump in his throat that didn’t seem to want to go away.

 

Kai was still sobbing loudly and Luhan approached him.

 

“Kai…” Luhan put a hand on his shoulder. “We’re going to go find him. I won’t sleep until I do. But I’m going to need your help. We have to be fast or we don’t know what will happen to…”

 

“You don’t have to say any more.” Kai wiped his eyes and nose with his arm. “I’m sorry I burst out like that. It’s just that… Sehun’s my best friend… I can’t afford to lose him.” He looks into Luhan’s eyes. This took Luhan aback. He had not known they were best friends. He looks back into Kai’s eyes and smiled.

 

“Neither can I.” Luhan replied.

 

“Nor I.” D.O. added. “Let’s get moving guys. It will be very dark soon. The faster we search the better.”

 


 


 

 

“Hey, this IS a neat trick! Where’d you learn to do this Baekhyun?” Chen said, looking at his now disappearing hand.

 

“I remembered this one lesson I had in physics class. Who knew it’d come in handy?” Baekhyun said as he was waving his hands around, slowly manipulating the light that surrounded his friends.

 

“Bending light to make us invisible. Smart.” Kris said as he watched his teammates disappear before his eyes. “One problem. How do we see each other?”

 

Baekhyun paused a bit then scratched his head. “I didn’t think about that.” He let out a slow laugh.

 

“Don’t worry.” Suho said. “We don’t have to move around. We’ll take the night and rest. Tomorrow, we continue our attack. We’ll take turns keeping watch. How’s that?”

 

“Sounds like a good idea.” Chanyeol said, stretching. “I need a bit of sleep.”

 

“Fine. I’ll take the first watch.” Suho said, volunteering. “Who’s watching with me?”

 

Kris looked at Tao, who also looked at Kris. Baekhyun was busy constructing their invisibility coats. Chanyeol was having too much fun with his now invisible legs. Chen sighs.

 

“I’ll do it.” Chen says.

 

“Okay then. You four, as soon as Baekhyun finishes constructing the coats, go to sleep. You’ll need it. We’ll wake up the next pair in a few hours. Understood? Go. To. SLEEP.” Suho emphasizes the word sleep.

 

“We are! What else do you think we’re going to do?” Chanyeol asked innocently.

 

“Oh, I don’t know.” Suho replied, sighing.

 

“Done!” Baekhyun said. He looked around and couldn’t see anyone. “This really is going to be a problem. I think… I can bend the light AROUND us instead!”

 

“There’s a bright idea.” Kris’ voice comes out of nowhere.

 

“Hey! Baekhyunnie’s doing his best!” Chanyeol’s voice retorted.

 

“Okay, let me do this again.” Baekhyun said.

 

After a couple of minutes, everyone was visible again. Baekhyun had constructed a coat around their area to prevent anyone outside of it to see them. Suho steps out of the invisibility perimeter and checks it out.

 

“It works!” he said. “Now go to sleep! We’re going to have a long day tomorrow!”

 

“Yes, boss!” Chanyeol said playfully.

 

And the four slept side by side. Tao, Kris, Chanyeol and Baekhyun, in this order, while Chen and Suho sat by their feet, looking at the massive base in front of them.

 

The dark was slowly enveloping the area now and heavy clouds blocked the light the two moons would have provided. Chen sighed.

 

“What’s up?” Suho asked.

 

“It's funny how we got ourselves into this, isn’t it?”

 

“I agree. But, what can we do?”

 

“We could have backed away.”

 

“Would you have?”

 

“I don't know. Maybe.” Chen looked at the ground and drew circles on the earth. “Would you?”

 

“Maybe, if no one else had volunteered to stay. But Sehun did. Along with yout friend, Luhan. I can’t really abandon Sehun.”

 

“Hmm. You’re right. After they both volunteered, something inside me… changed, I guess. I wonder how they are?”

 

“Don’t worry. I’m sure they’re safe. Sehun may be the youngest out of the 6 of us, but he’s also the most reliable.” Suho looks up at the clouds. “I’m sure they’re safe.”

 

[A/N]

 

Dun-dun-dun! IS the beloved Maknae safe?? Who knows? Stay tuned, guys, to know what's happened to Sehun!

 

I hope everyone is well! I will be leaving the US in a couple of days! That means I get more time to write by then! Yays!! <3 Much love, guys! <3