Chapter 3 - Connections

New World

 

Xiumin started pacing around the room. Its white walls and white colored furniture helped calm him down a bit, but just a little bit. His new companion, Suho, was sitting down on a white colored chair, his fingers continuously tapping the table.

 

“How long have we been in here?” Xiumin asked, stopping in front of the painting of a unicorn.

 

Suho didn’t answer. He was lost in thought, again.

 

Xiumin touched the painting and it felt cold. He gazed up at the ceiling, like countless times before, and saw the 10 mirrors reflecting everything back at him. He thought it was very odd, having mirrors on the ceiling. He also thought it was odd someone would make a room without a door. There were no windows and the only source of light they had was the ornate chandelier hanging above the table.

 

Suho continued his finger tapping, speeding up his rhythm as the minutes ticked by. He gazed into the small mirror sitting atop the table beside the vase of orchids. His reflection gazed back at him, like a watery shadow.

 

Water, he thought. He remembered everything liquid around him started acting weirdly. He remembered Kai appearing and disappearing, leaving behind only black smoke. Then darkness. Xiumin had said something of the same nature happened to him and his friends. Suho decided that he and Kai aren’t the only ones who experienced super natural events. So did Chanyeol, Baekhyun, Sehun and D.O.

 

Xiumin began tracing the frame of the painting with his finger, feeling the smoothness of the wood. Then his finger felt a sort of indentation on the top part of the frame. He removed his finger and peered at the top of the frame. He couldn’t see it properly. He tried to tiptoe but it was too small to see.

 

“Suho, let me borrow the chair for a while.” He said, already pulling at the chair. This finally broke Suho off his trance.

 

“What?”

 

“The chair. I need to look at something. Hurry!”

 

Suho got off the chair with a puzzled look on his face. He watched as Suho positioned the chair in front of the painting and then began climbing onto it.

Xiumin bent down a bit to be on eye level with the small indent on the frame. He saw that there were two small symbols on the frame. One looked like a snowflake and the other… a mechanical… drop of water…?

 

Snowflake… and water…Xiumin’s brain started connecting things. He had heard Suho’s story. Water. Then he remembered his own experience. Ice.

 

He looked at Suho and urged him to take his place and look at the symbols, for a second opinion.

 

Suho climed up the chair and saw the two symbols. He immediately knew what Xiumin was thinking.

 

He traced the snowflake symbol.

 

“This is a snowflake… I’m sure. This must have something to do with you, Xiumin. Ice.”

 

Xiumin nodded.

 

“Then this one is…” he traced the water symbol with his finger. “Mine. Water.”

 

The moment he said water, the symbol started glowing.

 

 


 

 

 

 

Lay noticed it first. Something on the table mirror was glowing. He immediately checked it. Baekhyun followed close behind him. Something on the frame of the mirror was glowing. After a few seconds, it died down. Lay peered closer and saw that it was a symbol, one that looked like a teardrop. He then noticed another symbol to the left of the teardrop symbol. A snowflake? He wondered.

 

“What do you think that means?” Baekhyun asked. He looked at the symbol one more time, then retreated back to his white colored chair.

 

“I don’t know.” Lay sighed and put down the mirror. Just then, the other symbol started glowing.

 

Baekhyun bounced out of his chair and picked up the mirror before Lay could.

 

“What? What’s happening?”

 

“It’s this other symbol now. It’s glowing!” Baekhyun was gripping the small table mirror so hard, Lay was afraid it would break. The symbol then stopped glowing. Baekhyun frowned.

 

“Wait, look.” Lay grabbed the mirror from Baekhyun and stared at the mirror’s surface.

 

Slowly, his reflection dissolved and the mirror was showing them a different scene. It was Suho and Xiumin.

 

“Suho!” Baekhyun exclaimed in surprise.

 

“Xiumin…” Lay whispered. He could see them. They were both in a room exactly like theirs. The white walls, the white furniture, the unicorn painting, even the table mirror; everything’s the same.

 

“What are they doing? Can they hear us?” Baekhyun was staring intently at the mirror.

 

“I don’t think they can. They’re looking at the painting, and smiling…”

 

Lay looked up at the painting. He put down the mirror and immediately grabbed the chair Baekhyun used and positioned it in front of the painting, like what he saw Xiumin and that other guy do in the mirror. He climbed up and checked the painting. Then he saw it. Two symbols. The style was of the symbols on the mirror but these were different. One looked like the head of a unicorn, the other was… abstract.

 

“Whoa. What’s Suho doing? He’s… he’s controlling water!”

 

“Water…” the water symbol flashed in his head. Then the snowflake symbol. Ice. He remembered Xiumin freezing the wall back at Kris’.

 

“Baekhyun.” He called out to his companion, but his eyes were on the abstract symbol. “You said, before you came to find yourself here, that your palms started emitting light, right?”

 

“Yeah.” Baekhyun nodded, not taking his eyes off the mirror. “Suho looks really cool. How is he doing that?”

 

“Light.” Lay said, more to himself. “That’s what this is.”

 

“Lay, is this other guy your friend? He’s freezing the water Suho was using.”

 

Just then, Lay felt a slight chill in the air. He breathed out through his mouth and he could see the white fog that only comes out when it’s starting to get cold.

 

“Unicorn… unicorn… This has got to be my symbol, somehow…”

 

He remembered Chen’s wound. It started stitching itself up after he had touched it. It started healing itself.

 

Unicorn blood has healing properties, Lay remembered from a book he read years ago.

 

He touched the unicorn symbol on the frame.

 

“Healing.” He breathed. Then the symbol started glowing.

 

Baekhyun looked up from his mirror. He put it down and went over to Lay to check out what was going on.

 

“What did you do?” Baekhyun was tugging at Lay’s shirt. “Let me see!”

 

That moment, the symbol stopped glowing. Lay let out another breath.

 

“Your turn, Baekhyun.” He climbed down the chair and went to the table. The walls were starting to get covered in a sheet of frost. This was what happened back at Kris’. The orchids had died from the cold and the mirrors were freezing over as well.

 

“What am I supposed to do?”  Baekhyun asked, climbing up the chair.

 

“Touch the symbol. Then say ‘light’.” Lay said urgently. If they didn’t get out of here, they’d freeze to death. These symbols better do something.

 

Baekhyun did what he was told to do, and sure enough, the symbol began glowing.

 

“Whoa.” Baekhyun began rubbing his arms with his hands. The cold was getting worse.

 

“Come on. Work…” Lay said to the air.

 

Nothing happened.

 

Lay sighed.

 

“Lay. Something’s happening.”

 

Lay’s head shot up. Baekhyun was hurriedly climbing down the chair and backing away from the painting. The unicorn was moving.

 


 

 

“Xiumin, how do you stop t-this…?” Suho began shivering.

 

“I don't know!” Xiumin closed his eyes and began concentrating hard.

 

Stop. Stop. Stop.

 

He opened his eyes. It was still freezing. Then he heard a neigh.

 

Both of them looked for the source of the sound, then Suho noticed the unicorn painting. It was moving.

 

“What’s going on now?” Suho asked, clutching his body tight.

 

Xiumin stared at the painting. The unicorn was riding away into the painted horizon. Then the painting vanished altogether, leaving behind only the frame and a hollow entrance to what looked like a tunnel.

 

“A way out!” Xiumin exclaimed.

 

“Well, let’s get moving! Anywhere is probably better than here!” Suho started climbing the chair and pushed himself into the entrance. Xiumin followed him.

 


 

 

“Baekhyun, get inside! Hurry!”

 

“O-okay…” Baekhyun was shivering uncontrollably. He managed to push himself into the tunnel and he started crawling forward.

 

Lay made his way to the painting, his hand brushing against the wilted orchids on his way. He climbed up the chair and then into the tunnel, following Baekhyun.

 

The room they left behind had almost completely frozen over. The orchids, however, regained their life force. But slowly, it started wilting again due to the cold.