Complicated Lives Intertwined

A Dorky Love

Hyoyeon and Eunhyuk went to a restaurant. Hyoyeon stopped whining after a while. Eunhyuk who tried to calm her down seemed to be tired of the happenings. Eunhyuk took a deep sigh. Hyoyeon noticed and asked, "Hmmm? What's with your expression?" Eunhyuk didn't answer. He looked so depressed and dumb-founded.

 

The waitress came in and asked for their order. They asked for the best thing they could serve them. Eunhyuk who couldn't think about what to order had barely an apetite to eat. Hyoyeon seemed to be worried.

 

"Is it about your break up?" She straightforwardly asked him.

 

"About that? Yeah."

 

"Why? Do you still have feelings for her?" Hyoyeon's expression changed. She sulked on her chair.

 

"No...don't get the wrong idea. I don't mean what you said with my behavior. It is just that it is hard to forget." Eunhyuk forced a smile to cheer her up.

 

"Really? It must've been hard."

 

"It is really hard to forget those memories. The two of us have always been the impossible couple. No one would have thought that she would go out with me. Now that I think about it, I really did have a hard time with her. I used to give up when I am courting someone but to her, it is a different thing."

 

"How is it different?"

 

"She is really my ideal type. Her eye smile is even the best." Eunhyuk stopped talking about her. He wanted to know if it was alright to continue.

 

"Why? Why did you stop?" Hyoyeon didn't seem to care but deep inside, she was already getting wounded.

 

"Oh...the order is here. Let's eat first."

 

Hyoyeon and Eunhyuk tried to savor up the food. It was delicious but the two had lost their appetite.

 

"When...the two of you are dating...Did you also go to places like this?"

 

"We never did. It was only at amusement parks and malls."

 

"It must've been really hard..."

 

"I didn't know it was this hard to forget. I really wouldn't sleep at night with this."

 

"Regarding the audition, the first thing they want to do is to submit a cover of a music video."

 

"MV? But.... both of us are not that good singers."

 

"I know, right? Ahhh...It is a pain."

 

Eunhyuk didn't understand how Hyoyeon wanted so much to change the subject. Her ears were giving up and her heart couldn't take them.

 

"Let's go home for now." Hyoyeon smiled as she went to the door. Eunhyuk followed her.

 

"Are you not feeling well?"

 

"No...I am fine."

 

Eunhyuk and Hyoyeon rode the bus and arrived home safely. Mr. Lee rushed through the door to welcome them.

 

"What is really happening between the two of you?!" Both of them were shocked to see Mr. Lee really angry.

 

"Please...let them rest." Hyoyeon's mother tried to calm him.

 

"Hyukjae....I already told you to not make our family this complicated. Why would you date her?"

 

"Hyoyeon-ah, come here." Hyoyeon's mother called her. There was a deep tension lurking in the house.

 

"Father... I'm not your son. I knew the truth."

 

"What...what are you talking about? Did you go to your mom's room?"

 

"Father...I...I'm just your son because the first born should be a boy. But, Hyoyeon-"

 

Mr. Lee slapped Eunhyuk. He didn't want him to explain the complicated situation they have found themselves in.

 

"You...you...I know all along...why you never treated me like your son...."

 

"I...I'm sorry. I didn't mean to hurt you." Mr. Lee tried to touch his cheek but he shoved him away.

 

"Fine..." Eunhyuk tried to  open the door and leave the house. But, Hyoyeon's mother grabbed his arm.

 

"Ma'am...please let go..."

 

"It is for you son. It is for you that I would be marrying Mr. Lee... So that your lives wouldn't be a total lie..."

 

"What are you saying now?!" Mr. Lee asked Hyoyeon's mother.

 

"I...I'm your mother, Eunhyuk-ah..."

 

"Umma?..." Eunhyuk was expressionless and shocked.

 

"But...Mom what about me?" Hyoyeon disrupted.

 

"It... was when you were born that we switched your fates. The elders wanted a son for the Lee family but Hyoyeon..." Mrs. Kim looked at Hyoyeon who was stunned with the development of things.

 

"Hyoyeon, you are a girl. So, the elders tried to find someone else. That was when they spotted me and my son. I was scared to give them my son... They had wanted me to be Mr. Lee' s wife all along so...they'd be happy if it was me...Also..I wanted my son to have a happy life...That's why...."

 

"Please, stop!.... If I just knew that I have a son with another woman before Hyoyeon... then these things wouldn't be like this."

 

"WHAT? You cheated on my best friend."

 

"I didn't know. It was when the two of us are fiances."

 

"I shouldn't have switched the two of you... I'm sorry to the both of you."

 

"You can go to your rooms right now." Mr. Lee forced them to go upstairs.

 

The two were more confused than ever. They don't want to trouble their parents with their relationship but it ended up with the revelations they could never dream of.

 

"Hyoyeon-ah, let's go to this room."

 

"Isn't that you mother's?"

 

"No...as what they said...your biological mom's room?"

 

"What is in there?"

 

"All of the gifts until your 11th birthday... All were inside... All of your childhood pictures are in there...It was a deadly blow on my part to find it."

 

"But, why did she die?"

 

"Depression and stress. She desperately wanted to see you again and she got cheated on."

 

"Look." Eunhyuk opened the door with the key on his possession.

 

Hyoyeon cried as she saw the whole room. Eunhyuk had it to be cleaned secretly by him every month. The room was well-tended and proper. 

 

"But, why does she doesn't have any picture of you?"

 

"It was because she never thought of me as her own. I was just a tool to control her overflowing depression of seeing you. She...she never loved me. The day of my 11th birthday...is the day I have found out about this... She got a heart attack...."

 

"It must have been hard on you."

 

"Yeah." Eunhyuk looked up at the ceiling as his tears slowly came running. Hyoyeon hugged him.