Chapter 1

Clutter & Douchebag

“~~~~~-ah! Get down here right now. I’m going to be late for work!” my strict but choding, and sweet single appa exclaimed from the kitchen.

“Yes, appa!” I shouted so he could hear me. I buttoned my blazer and brought my bag with me as I skip to the kitchen.

 

When I was 7 years old, my mom left me with my dad. She promised me that she’ll be back and we’re going to be together again. But no. I waited for her for 5 years, but she didn’t come back. Then one day my dad told me that she has another family. I was so disappointed. But I’m not mad at her, I’m mad at what she did; leaving us bewildered. I felt hurt, especially my dad who loved her for how many years.

But then, we moved on and just go with the flow.

 

As I sat down the chair beside the counter, appa quickly fixed the papers on the table and put it inside his briefcase.

“~~~~~-ah—yah! What are you wearing?!” he screeched as he points to my fake spectacle.

“What? It’s a spectacle. What’s wrong?” I scratched the back of my neck.

“Aish, take that thing off. Or else I’m not going to give your allowance this month.” He threatened. I widened my eyes and my mouth agape. Oh no, HE WOULD’NT.

“ANDWAE! Here, I’m taking it off!” I took off my spectacle and put it inside my bag. He laughed and ruffled my hair.

“Good girl.” He cooed. “I’m going now. I made your breakfast. Annyeong!” he waved goodbye and took his briefcase.

“Oh and, have a good day ahead!” he added. I just nodded and waved goodbye to him.

 

After eating, I locked the house and brought my bicycle from the backyard. I hopped on it and started pedalling. *To the school!!*

 

I stopped in front of a big gate. I looked up and read the signage,

“Seoul University. Wow, so huge.” My mouth formed into an “O” shape. I parked my bike along with the other bikes. I fixed my skirt and started walking.

I was so mesmerized by the beautiful garden inside the school. There’s a big fountain in the middle and benches alongside. The grass is clean, as in, there are no insects or any trashes. Many students are running and talking loudly. Some gazes are fixed on me, while the others are just shrugging it off. I took my schedule and decided to go to my class.

“The garden shall be my rest place.” I chuckled and continued on searching for my class.

 

Finally, I reached my classroom. I went inside it and the students inside gazed at me. After a second, they continued on talking with others. I sighed and went to the front seat beside the window.

I rested my elbow on my chair and kept my eyes on the window. Then suddenly, I felt a light tap on my shoulder. I turned around and saw a…well, let’s just say a girl wearing a boy’s uniform?

“Annyeong! My name is Lee Sungjong!” he waved. Oh, he’s a guy. Gosh, I’m so stupid.

“Oh, Annyeong! I’m Choi ~~~~~.” I stood up and bowed.

“Haha, no need to be so formal! By the way, nice to meet you ~~~~~!” he grinned. Yay! Someone is talking to me.

 

We chatted and he mentioned to me that he belongs to a kingka group called INFINITE. Wow, I must be lucky. A kingka talking to me? A cute kingka?

Our chat got cut off when girls inside the classroom started squealing. I looked at them with confusion, and then back to Sungjong.

“Why are they squealing? Is there a celebrity or something?” I asked him.

“Kind of like a celebrity.” He responded. “Oh, hyung! Come here, I’m going to introduce you to someone!” he stood up from his seat and ran to a guy and dragged him to my direction.

 

“~~~~~! This is my hyung, L. He’s one of the kingka’s here in school!” Sungjong introduced him. L? His name is L? That’s a weird name. Isn’t that from the Death Note thingy?

“Annyeong! I’m Choi ~~~~~. Nice to meet you L-sshi!” I waved at him and smiled. He looked at me from top to bottom and chuckled.

“W-what’s wrong?” I tilted my head and asked him.

“Not my type.” He replied coldly. My jaw dropped at what he said. What the heck? Who is he to talk to me like that? And what does he meant? I'm here to make friends, not court! I was about to speak when he rolled his eyes and sat down at the back of the class and girls started to swoon over him.

 

“Mianhae, ~~~~~-sshi. He’s really like that.” Sungjong said and rubbed the back of his neck.

“Kwaenchana, I understand.” I gave him a fake smile. Really, I'm disappointed with that L guy.

“So, I’ll get going now! I need to go to our meeting place. See you!” he grinned and went out of the classroom. I rested my head on my palm and realized that someone’s gaze is fixed on me.

I looked at the rest of the students but none of them are staring. The last one I saw was L. His feet are on his table and his eyes were fixed on me. After a while he looked away and continued on playing with his phone.

 

I somehow melted at his intense gaze. He made me feel like we’re just the only ones in this classroom. My thoughts are cut off when the professor came and all the students returned to their seats. He introduced himself and started discussing. Woah, lessons on the first day of school?