.32

Fixing A Broken Heart
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter song: With You by Kim Bo Kyung

 

 

[Yonghwa’s POV]

 

Jindo, Jeolla-do.

“Oh, you’re already here, young man?”

I tilt my head at that familiar voice and glance to my left with a small smile. Even though the sound of the wind and waves are hitting my ears, I still can hear him who’s already standing next to me.

“There’s nothing much for me to do back at Seoul, Haraboji.” I answer with a sigh. My hand is already on George’s head, patting it just as he always likes it.

“It seems that your trouble’s still not going away. Your face still looks the same like it did when you first came here.” Haraboji sits beside me on the sandy beach as both of us are staring at the yellow horizon before us. I guess I’ve stayed here for quite a while that it’s getting dark soon.

“So, you’ve decided to become a permanent resident here?” He asks again when I didn’t reply to his remarks before.

Cold wind continues to hit me but it gets a little warmer when George, Haraboji’s old golden Jindo dog walks into my laps. And I can’t help it but to pull him closer to my chest. Maybe he misses me.

“I don’t know. Will you accept me if I want to?” I turn to him with a playful question.

“Go home, boy. To your family.”

“But you are my family.”

“You only lived here for a year and you already regard us as your family? Your real family is waiting for you. Even if you have problems back at home, you shouldn’t have run away. How long you’re going to hide?”

 “I guess you’re already sick of me…” I mumble, loud enough for him to hear.

“No… It’s just that I don’t like seeing you all sad like this. Fix your problems and you can come here again with smiles. I’ll be happier if you do.”

I look down to George and his puppy eyes, feeling guilty at Haraboji’s words.

“It’s too late. Nothing can be fixed anymore.”

Suddenly, George barks and puts two of his paws on my chest.

“Look, even George knows. Try your best and do everything you can to make it right, lad. But if you chose to stay here, Halmeoni and I would be the happiest to accept you. I know the kids will too.”

I look up to the sea when he mentioned the kids.

 

“You already have a girlfriend, Oppa?”

I grinned at Minji, the little chatterbox. When I met her mum a few days back at the market, I could already tell. Those buckteeth and small eyes, they were all the same.

“I do.”

“Really?!” The three kids answered in union.

“I knew it! A person with a nice voice like you will surely have one!” She uttered cheerily. I ruffled her hair, amused at her reaction.

“Is she pretty?” Jun, a very special boy to me asked eagerly.

“Yeap. She sings well too.”

“Will you bring her here and introduce her to us, Hyung?” He asked again.

I suddenly felt down. She’s living far from where I was and thinking on how much hatred she kept for me, I felt guilty. It’s impossible to bring her here.

“Maybe, someday.”

“Make sure you do! I wanna hear her sing when you play the guitar for her.”

I pressed my lips together and held his hand. Tears were already pooling in my eyes. It’s sad seeing him like this but it felt better when I could give something that would make him happy, even for the slightest. Music.

My fingers crept onto Jun’s newly shaven hair as my eyes stared at his lifeless eyes. He couldn’t see, that’s what made him special.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter