Broken road

143 TILL THE END

“Annyeonghasaeyo” the doctor smiled as you walked in, “what’s the problem” she asked and you stared at her. Telling her the whole situation, her smile faded away and she pulled out a piece of paper. “Have you been to the doctor recently?” you nodded and she tilted her head, “what did the doctor say?” she picked up her pen as you told what you remember from the first admission to the latest one. “Okay, I think you need a full body check up” she stood up walked towards the door and gestured you to follow her.

 

Entering into a room, she stopped you and called a nurse as she walked into another room inside. A nurse approached you with a set of clothes; “agashi, you need to change into this for the check up” she smiled as you nodded. After changing, you were instructed to lie down on a bed which led to a scan.

After things went smoothly, you were told to wait outside to wait for the results. You felt your phone vibrate in a second and you walked to the balcony to answer it. “Hello?” you said and heard a sigh. “Minhee-ssi where are you?” it was Woohyun and his worried voice, “Woohyun-ssi I am at the nearby supermarket, don’t worry about me. I will be there after I finish everything” you said and there was a pause. “You better hurry and take care on the way. If you feel uncomfortable don’t hesitate to call me” he hung up and you chuckled at him.

 

“Minhee-ssi, the results are out” the nurse called for you and your heartbeat increased, ‘I guess my heart isn’t always beating for that arrogant unnie’ you took small steps to the office and sat down on the chair. The doctor looked up with a frown, “are you sure that the doctor said it was just fatigue?” she asked and you nodded as your answer because it was really what the doctor said. “How long have you had these symptoms?” she asked and you grew confused, ‘symptoms?’. “Few months ago”

 

“In your case, few months is all you got for now. You have diagnosed with cancer, Minhee-ssi. Even if you get treatment, I am afraid that the effects will only be 7.86 percent” she stated as she looked at the scan. “You’re lying right? How can I have cancer? My parents wouldn’t lie to me in the first place” you were in denial but it was the truth that you were hearing. “Your parents? Both of them are still living?” she looked at you with shock. “OF COURSE MY PARENTS ARE STILL LIVING!!” you shouted at her. “But---“

“I’m sorry doctor but I’m taking my leave, I will not listen anymore” you grabbed your bag and ran out of her office. The doctor stared at the door and sighed; ‘If only you could listen to the whole thing’ she shook her head and stared at the scan with a frown. “Why did the doctors lie to her?”

 

-----------------------------------------

Flagging a cab, you quickly made your way back to the dorm. Opening the door, you wanted to run to your room to get sleep hoping to wake up from this dream. Bumping into someone, you fell down on the floor. Looking up, you saw L staring down at you as he gave his hand for support. Getting up without the help of his, you stared at him with tears glistening in your eyes. “Why are you crying? His voice was calm and so was his face. “None of your business” you walked away and slammed the door shut as you made your way to your room. ‘Didn’t Woohyun hyung say that she was in the supermarket? Why did she come home empty handed’ he shrugged to himself.

 

“Hyung, your baby is crying in her room” L said to Woohyun as he poured himself a glass of water. Placing the jug back on the table, Woohyun looked at L with wide eyes, “why?”. “None of your business” L smirked and Woohyun looked away, “that’s what she said to me” he shrugged and sat down on the chair for a rest. Before making his way to your room, L stopped him “give her some space, hyung. She needs some time of her own”

 

---------------------------------

Your phone rang and you reached for it in your sleep, sitting up straight and clearing your voice; you answered it. “Is this Minhee-ssi?” it was the doctor from the morning. Wanting to hang up, she held onto the phone tight, “neh I am Minhee”. “I know that you might not want to believe me but if you are available, can you come down to my office?” she said and you shut your eyes tight. “Why should I?” you talked back. “I think it would be better if we talk face to face, I will wait for you now” she hung up and you listened to the beeping sound from the phone.

 

Pulling out your thick jacket, you wrapped it around your body and walked out with your bag. The dorm was empty since Infinite had schedule; that’s what you thought. “Where are you going?” a voice was heard and you turned to see a sleepy Woohyun by the door. “Out” you answered short since you didn’t want to be late. “I will drive you there” he stopped you, making you look up at him. Nodding, you followed him out to his car. “Now tell me where” he asked and you kept in silence.

 

“The hospital” you said and rested onto the seatbelt strap. Woohyun bit his lips when he heard you but he continued to drive you to your destination. Arriving in a while, you walked to her office and Woohyun followed. The doctor looked at Woohyun for a second before telling you everything, “Minhee-ssi......” she told you everything relating to the disease and Woohyun listened with open ears. “I know that this would be a big hit to you but you must continue to live, Minhee-ssi. Don’t let this disease stop you from your dreams, try to fulfil them. Be strong” she encouraged you with a small smile. She turned to Woohyun, “and you young man, make sure you help her” she said and he nodded.

 

Walking out of the hospital, you began to tear up. “So it’s real. I just have few months to live? Why is God being so unfair?” you choked in your cry. Trying to calm you down with a hug, he couldn’t stop himself from his tears as well. ‘Minhee-ah I will help you fulfil your dreams, I promise’

 

Crying hard in his hold, you could only cry out loud. ‘If you were by my side, I will not let this disease be the reason to destroy my happiness because you are my happiness.’