Family

A Father's Love

On the drive to YunHo’s place, JaeJoong stared at his engagement ring with admiration and fervor. Never had he expected he’d be getting married, let alone to someone as attractive and compassionate as YunHo…then again, he had not expected he’d be a parent and yet here he was a proud parent of a very adorable and intelligent four year old and soon a five year old… “What’s wrong? Do you not like the ring?” YunHo questioned disrupting JaeJoong’s thoughts.

JaeJoong smiled as he rested his hand on YunHo’s knee. “Oh no, I love it! I just…I just can’t believe I’m going to get married soon, it’s so unreal.”

YunHo chuckled cordially. “I know BooJae, I can’t believe it either.” He took hold of the hand JaeJoong rested on his knee, “Not until I look at you, then everything becomes real.”

“BooJae?” JaeJoong quirked an eyebrow at the nickname.

“Yeah, it’s the nickname I’m giving you now that we are engaged.” YunHo explained. “You don’t like it?”

JaeJoong laughed. “Everything you give me I love…YunnieBear.”

“YunnieBear?” YunHo’s tone was a combination of uncertainty and hilarity. “Surely you can come up with something better than that in that beautiful head of yours.”

“I’m still working on it.” JaeJoong mumbled before silence swept between them once the two males quieted down and listened to the snickering and small random conversation between the two kids in the backseat. JaeJoong smiled, the thought of JaeYoung and MinHyun becoming step-brothers elated him…and he was confident the kids would be too once they knew. “Hey YunHo, when do you suppose we tell the others and the children of our engagement?”

YunHo looked at JaeJoong before looking in the rearview mirror, watching as MinHyun and JaeYoung now wrestled one another. “We can tell the kids once we get home, but everyone else…now that’s a different issue.” JaeJoong nodded in absolute agreement, everyone would have completely different views on the matter.

“Appa look! Harabeoji and Halmeoni are here!” MinHyun exclaimed pointing to the elderly couple now exiting a sleek silver car parked in the driveway. “Harabeoji and Halmeoni! Harabeoji and Halmeoni!” He chanted. Once YunHo parked the car, MinHyun hastily unbuckled his and JaeYoung’s belt before exiting the car to greet his grandparents.

“Looks like the kids won’t be the only ones learning about our engagement.” JaeJoong muttered. “Did you plan this too?”

“Oh no, I had no clue they were coming over and if I did, I would’ve told you.” YunHo leaned over and kissed JaeJoong’s cheek. “I’m sorry.”

“Apology always accepted.” JaeJoong kissed YunHo’s lips before exiting the car. “Alright, let’s go, your parents are waiting.” Emitting a low groan, YunHo obliged.

When the males exited the car, Halmeoni was the first to cuddle them. “JaeJoong, YunHo, I was wondering when the two of you were going to come and say hi. You know it is not polite to leave guest waiting.”

“We’re sorry Omma.” The males bowed in apology.

“It’s alright, my sons.” Halmeoni chuckled before taking a hold of JaeYoung’s free hand. “Come, let’s go inside. It’s quite hot out here.” Following behind Halmeoni and Harabeoji, who held onto MinHyun’s hand, everyone entered the home of YunHo…and soon-to-be JaeJoong’s.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
 

“I’m going to go make some tea and bring out some snacks, do you want anything in particular?” JaeJoong inquired as he paused briefly before entering the kitchen.

“We’re fine with whatever you bring us dear.” Halmeoni smiled taking a seat on the couch. “Thank you.”

“Appa, can we have strawberries?” JaeYoung questioned trailing behind his father with MinHyun following as well.

“Apple pears too JaeJoong Omma! Apple pears too!” MinHyun chided while following behind the other two.

JaeJoong chuckled as he looked back at the two children. “Of course, but you have to help me.”

“Okay!” The two agreed.

Harabeoji chuckled huskily once the three men left the living room. “It’s so nice to see the two of you have gotten so close, you seemed to be one big happy family.”

YunHo smiled. “We kind-of are…” He in a deep breath before letting it out in a heavy sigh, “Omma, Appa there is something I need to discuss with you…it’s um…it’s about JaeJoong and I.”

The way YunHo conveyed his sentence, made his parents interpret the words as their relationship was going wrong or it was soon going to come to an end. “What’s wrong? Is everything alright with the two of you?” Halmeoni questioned in an overly amount of concern.

YunHo cleared his throat as he rubbed his sweaty palms across his jeans, he always knew telling his parents he was going to get married was tough, but he did not expect it to be this tough. “I’ll tell you once JaeJoong and the kids get back in here, it’ll be a lot easier.” Though his excuse was a good one, he personally did not want to tell his parents by himself, after all, marriage is a two person thing.

“YunHo, is everything alright?” Halmeoni asked for the second time. “You know you can tell us anything and we’ll be nothing but supportive.”

“Appa you want some apple pear?” MinHyun asked as he, JaeYoung and JaeJoong entered the living room with a large plate filled with sliced apple pears and strawberries and another with cheese and crackers. Like he always did, MinHyun took an apple pear slice and handed it to his father. "Have an apple pear."

YunHo took the apple pear and kissed his son. “Thanks kiddo.”

“Come on Jae Jae, let’s go play!” MinHyun tugged at JaeYoung’s free arm who was sticking strawberries in his mouth and pockets.

“Okay! Here Appa.” JaeYoung quickly handed JaeJoong three strawberries he couldn’t stuff in his pocket before hurrying off after his best friend.

“JaeYoung surly loves to be with MinHyun and vice versa.” Halemoni chuckled. “They absolutely adore one another.” She added maybe hoping to ignite the not burnt out flame in JaeJoong’s and YunHo’s relationship.

“The tea should be done shortly.” JaeJoong informed taking a seat next to YunHo and leisurely placed his hand on the male’s thigh.

YunHo looked from his parents to JaeJoong. “I was just about to tell my parents about us, but I wanted everyone to be in here before I said anything.” JaeJoong nodded for YunHo to continue and again his in a deep breath. “Omma, Appa, JaeJoong and I are going to get married.”

Halmeoni raised a hand to and let out a meek gasp while Harabeoji let out a booming chuckle. “Well! Congratulation you two! Are you going to employ the same man who did YooChun and JunSu’s nuptial ceremony? What was his name…Hong SeokCheon?” Harabeoji questioned.

“Of course.” YunHo nodded before turning to his mother who seemed stunned by the announcement. “Omma…are you alright?”

JaeJoong looked from YunHo to the stunned elderly woman before him and began to panic, babbling about unnecessary things. “Omma listen, we would love nothing more than your and Appa’s blessing, but if you feel the need to…object…it’s—”

“You have my blessing, you will always have my blessing.” Halmeoni stood and embrace the feminine male as tears welted in her eyes. “I’m just so overjoyed.” She pulled back and cupped his face, staring at him as she did the first day she met him. “You promise you will take care of my son and grandson?”

“I promise.” JaeJoong smiled.

She looked over to YunHo and cupped his face as well. “You promise to take care of my son-by-oath and grandson-by-oath?”

“Of course I promise.” Halmeoni nodded and caressed her son’s face before drawing back.

“Again you two congratulations.” Harabeoji shook their hands before giving each a hug. “So how exactly are the new step-brothers handling things?”

YunHo and JaeJoong exchanged looks. “We haven’t told them yet.”

“Don’t you think you need to do that.” Harabeoji advised pointing to the two kids who now were entering back into the living room for more fruits. “I’m sure they’ll be excited.”

YunHo smiled before speaking, “Yah Min, Young, can you come here for a second?” Obliging, the two rushed over to YunHo. He and JaeJoong kneeled down to the boys. “We have something to tell you…” He paused to look at JaeJoong next to him. “I did my part, it’s your turn.” He gave his lover an assuring shoulder pat, “You can do it.”

JaeJoong pouted briefly before turning it into a smile as he took a hold of each of the boys’ hands. “How do you two feel about being brothers?” He started, it was much better than saying: ‘YunHo and I are getting married’ and then having to explain the whole marriage part. “We’ll all live here together forever as a big happy family? Would you like that?”

JaeYoung frowned in confusion. “But…I thought we were brothers?”

“Yeah, we are brothers…aren’t we JaeJoong Omma?” MinHyun questioned inclining his head to the right, waiting innocently for an answer.

YunHo chuckled and decided to answer for JaeJoong when he was unable to answer due to the unsuspecting question. “Yeah, you are brothers just as JaeJoong Omma and I are Omma and Appa.” The two children smiled before embracing their fathers. For Halmeoni and Harabeoji it was truly a sight to see, their son was marrying the love of his life which subsequently gave them two grandsons and they were now a family…and the most important sight to any grandparent was the fact they had lived long enough to witness it all…
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________