First Date....

A Father's Love

“JaeYoung is coming too, right Appa?” MinHyun skipped jubilantly beside his father, he was more than excited to be playing with JaeYoung outside of school. MinHyun and YunHo were on their way to meet up with JaeJoong and JaeYoung, yes today was supposed to be the day the two fathers went on a lunch date together; conversely, MinHyun stowed away in the car when YunHo was leaving forcing his father to take him along. “Appa, will you push me on the swing? I want to go high!”

YunHo smiled and gave his son’s small hand a gentle squeeze. “If that’s what you want me to do.” MinHyun nodded his head with a great deal of force. “Okay, okay calm down.” The two barely made it to the playground before MinHyun pulled his hand from his father’s and ran to the slide, completely forgetting about the swing. He watched his son enjoy himself sliding before running to climb the monkey bars. He had to confess he was happy he could spend time with his son even if it did ruin the much anticipated date.

“You made it much earlier than I expected.” YunHo turned to see JaeJoong striding elegantly towards him with JaeYoung bouncing alongside him. As JaeJoong got closer, he noticed the beautiful black haired male was wearing black sweats with a white muscle shirt peering through the matching half zipped sweat jacket, corresponding to his grey sweats and black muscle shirt. “Great minds think alike huh?” The inquiry made it evident to YunHo, JaeJoong had noticed it as well.

“It is apparent.” The two made a concise chuckled before YunHo continued on with what he had to say. “I do apologize about our lunch date, I promise I’ll make it up to you.”

JaeJoong smiled and shook his head. “It’s alright.” He held up his hand to reveal a large blue and white icebox and black and red blanket. “Our lunch date is still on…the kids are just added into the equation.” The two shared yet another brief chuckle.

“Appa can I go play now?” JaeYoung was now tugging away from JaeJoong’s grasp, his eyes followed MinHyun as he played. “I want to go play with MinHyun.”

“Oh! Right!” JaeJoong released his son’s hand. “Have fun and be careful!” His words fell upon deaf ears as JaeYoung hurried to go catch up with MinHyun. “Your son is quite the charmer.” The two began to walk slowly towards an empty bench closer to the playground so they can keep an eye on their energetic kids. “JaeYoung talks about him all the time.” JaeJoong playfully narrowed his eyes at YunHo. “What spell has he casted on my poor innocent son?”

“The Jung spell, all the Jung men have it.” YunHo joked back causing the other to laugh, he took note that JaeJoong had covered his mouth, hiding away those seductive lips.

“Indeed they do…and might I add it’s a very strong spell.” JaeJoong countered back flirtatiously, surprising the unsuspecting male.

YunHo cleared his throat as a way of recovering from the sudden flirty comment. “Well you and you’re son clearly cast a spell on my son.” He failed to add the ‘and I’ part to the end of his sentence.

“How so?”

YunHo directed his gaze out to where the two children played. “He deems it necessary to watch over JaeYoung, he says it’s because he’s too cute to get hurt.” He turned his attention back to JaeJoong, their eyes locking in a mesmeric stare. “And he calls you JaeJoong Omma when he talks about you…why is that?”

“The day I met him, I told him JaeYoung calls me Omma and…I guess it stuck.” Recalling the memory, JaeJoong chuckled for the third time that day. “He too said it suited me more than Appa…does it really?”

YunHo rubbed his chin as he examined JaeJoong’s facial features closely. “Well…” He leaned back against the bench. “Compared to the average looks of a male, you’re way above that… so yes it does.”

JaeJoong pouted. “Thanks.” He muttered sarcastically. They were so comfortable in each other’s presence, no one would have suspected that they had just met not too long ago. “So YunHo, may I ask how you ended up with MinHyun?”

YunHo inhaled deeply before letting it out, he knew the question would come up…eventually. “Uh…well, back in my fourth year of college I wanted to see if I was attracted to females.” He made brief eye contact with JaeJoong. “So I slept with my ex-friend…and six months later, she tells me she’s pregnant.”

“I take it she didn’t want him.” JaeJoong said it in the form of a sentence; however, YunHo took it as a question and nodded. “Why not?”

“There was a list of reasons, but the main one being he would ruin her life.” He leaned forward so his elbows rested on his knees while his chin laid in the palm of his right hand as he watched his son push JaeYoung on the swing. “Once he was born, she handed over all her maternal rights…and now I’m raising the best thing in my life.”

“You’re doing a superior job raising him.” JaeJoong rubbed YunHo’s back soothingly.

YunHo was enjoying the gentle caresses JaeJoong was doing to his back and he worried that any sudden movements would make him stop. “What about you? How did you end up with JaeYoung?”

“At first I didn’t want kids being as I was already busy with my career as a chef and a child would complicated it even more, but my best friend wanted a child all her own so I donated my own to help her dream could come true.” His voice suddenly dropped a couple of octaves and began to fluctuate. “But an hour after JaeYoung was born and naming me prime caretaker…she passed away.”

YunHo sat up and placed a hand around JaeJoong’s shoulder to comfort him, not saying anything for the fear of saying something idiotic.

“You know, it’s funny that life paves a way of complicating your life, but never forgets to insert happiness within it.” JaeJoong placed his head on YunHo’s shoulder, neither one spoke for awhile as they listened to the laughter of the children and faint whispers of the wind. “I think we should do this again tomorrow.”

“I think so too…maybe this time go to an amusement park?” YunHo suggested.

“The kids will love it.” JaeJoong smiled. He did not have to lift his head for YunHo to see the smile, he felt it on his shoulder.

“Appa!” MinHyun replied as he and JaeYoung ran up to the two embraced parents who were now rushing to move out of each other’s hold. “Appa, I’m hungry.”

“I am too Appa! I am—” JaeYoung added before JaeJoong pulled him towards his chest.

“What happened to your lip?!” JaeJoong inquired in near panic, he cupped his son’s face and inspected the small cut encrusted with dried blood closely. “Are you okay? Does it hurt?” The child shook his head to answer his father questions.

“He fell jumping off the swing, but I kissed it to take the pain away.” MinHyun smiled and clasped his hands behind his back, proud that he remembered what JunSu had taught him.

After the mentioning of what happened only then did YunHo and JaeJoong notice the light speck of blood on MinHyun’s lip. “Thank you MinHyun.” JaeJoong smiled at the five year old before turning his attention back to his own son. “Be careful next time Jae.” He stood from the bench. “Okay, since everyone is hungry, let’s go find a big tree to sit under it and eat.”

“Yay!” JaeYoung clasped hands with YunHo, tugging the male in the direction he wanted to go in. “Come on YunHo Appa, let’s go find a tree.”

Before YunHo followed the boy he made eye contact with JaeJoong, their eyes saying everything their mouths were not. By the sudden quickness JaeYoung had taken to YunHo and how MinHyun took to JaeJoong, it was evident to the both of them this was the start to a wonderful friendship…maybe…even more…
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________